• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Personally, I don't think any standing chaingrab should be allowed. Especially Dedede's

There's no sense of DI, and his grab range is already stupid. Sure, if you get caught in it, then it's your fault for getting grabbed....but being constantly grab with no way of getting out unless the DDD player mistimes it? That's stupid.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
No it doesn't. You can ban the stage, and it's only a counterpick. You could potentially never see the stage. Also, even if you had a 95% chance of losing there by picking a chain grabable character, you could overcome it by winning the other two matches. But you don't even have to worry about this because you get the chance to switch characters when the stage is announced. Also if someone picks it you can pick a character that doesn't get chain grabbed and its a much larger FD. If you can get camped it's your characters fault for being able to get camped - pick Pit if DDD takes you there.
Actually, I was wondering under the competitive understandin of gaming, how Shadow Moses Island was banned. Sure the characters that don't have infinites or wall tactics are screwed, but it also adds huge punishment and combo elements to the game.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Does this mean you're against the ban now?
Yes. I'll remind you I was against it for a few pages (more like I was withholding assent to the claim of the side with burden of proof). That 'now' should be an 'again'.

Presently I'm rather certain it's the correct view. I voted. (However meaningless this poll is, the thread was created by SamuraiPanda.)

Sorry, you misread me due to my unclear language.

I was totally aware of that you meant diversifying the game in general. And I talking about just that. What I meant is that how much "diversifying" should we do? Should we "diversify" the game so that all characters are viable?

And if so, what would "viable" mean? 70-30 at worst? But that's still a 70-30. So 60-40? How about 50-50? That would be the most diverse metagame. Every single character could in essence be viable against every single character, enjoying 50-50 odds.
Yes, okay. I thought we could increase diversity without limiting something else, but yes I see clearly now that increasing diversity comes about in that the character's matchups become better - in some sense - which implies that the characters on the other end get worse matchups, plus there's possibly indirect effects caused by interacting tier dynamics.

And yes, all of this is undue interference. It's too "meddling." And since it's *inseparable* from the increase in diversity, there's no objective gain I can even point to.

So, if we really wanted to maximize diversity, we'd ban one jillion things per match-up to artifically mold them. Against Captain Falcon, Marth cannot do this thing which is totally legal against Peach (as Marth). Wham, bam, 90210 bans later, everyone has 50-50 match-ups (only) and the game is super-diverse.
I didn't want to maximize diversity, not as the ultimate goal, not if there's costs. Again, I just thought it was something that, all else being equal, would improve things. But this is either a vacuously true statement, or a meaningless statement: either it's impossible for all else to be equal if you increase diversity, making the statement vacuously true, or it's meaningless, for some reason I don't know but it never hurts to acknowledge the possibility when apparent vacuous truth shows up.
Either way, the statement is uninteresting, so being principally what got me behind the ban, I have no reason to perseverate.

That's not a word? Okay, jargon then: It means persevere in a belief.

It is my view that we should not ban a whole bunch of things to maximize diversity. It is my view. And it is shared by many a Competitive gamer.
Just quoting this because it quotes where I directly said I viewed diversity as a means to an end. That means I didn't believe it was an end. An immediate relevancy of that statement is that you know I, neither, wanted to ban anything *to* maximize diversity.

It was a means to an end (competitive field) for me. The competitive field is all I cared about and I thought I wanted the ban because it got that. Since diversity doesn't get that, I don't care about it.

And we can't do this with the infinite in place?
No, we can. Probably unnecessary to reply to this given that I've said I'm anti-ban now, but no, we can do this with the infinite in place ('this' being 'seek competition' or something close).

(Actually, I would have said we could have "that" with or without the infinite. But of course I can't be anti-ban now and say that we could have 'that' with the ban.
Not without a bad-taste-in-your-mouth, anyway, playing under a bad ban.)

And the question becomes: What does this have to do with the infinite?
Nothing. I'm trying to establish I am not and was never (since. . . let's say April) a scrub.

It came up when I was trying to talk about the reason I thought could motivate/justify the ban. I thought what we did was to increase "something", since the "something" is what we're after, and so, bans to get at "it" would be warranted.

You then took this to be some scrubby whiner's pleading, or other condemning thing (I'd have used the word '****ing', but, you know, Nazi censor), so I was forced to defend myself. :dizzy:

Apparently, I was mistaken as to what embracing competition and 'The game as it is' means. It's about minimizing 'improper' influence*. I understand and can get behind that.

EDIT: You know I was probably just forgetting too much of the principle of "The game as it is." x_x

*again, improper is likely a vastly mistaken word, but it's better than 'bad'.

But the rules are not written to maximize anything. They are only written to minimize influence (over-centralization)(plus a few exceptions).
Ayup.

Because I thought you were one of the La La Yutzes who advocate "total diversity" and "fun". Apparently, I was wrong?
Yes. Drastically. Please understand that.

EDIT: Something I noticed and thought I'd let you know.

Yuna, a note: It seems that another cause of excess argumentation with you can be attributed to this: You don't have quite an eye for alternative interpretations of your words as would be helpful.

For example, a quibble fest went on for tens of pages about how 5/760 (yeargh don't nitpick the exactness now) is not 754/760. It was pretty clear to me that the issue was because you were referring to a count of something out of a class of 760 elements, whereas the other guy thought you were talking about probabilities (and accounting for obviously non-uniform distribution of characters in tourney play).

I didn't mention it because (a) I kept forgetting, and (b) my posts were huge enough without putting something I thought wouldn't get noticed.
. . . yeah neither of those are good reasons. But still something you could have corrected.

Similarly, you are either unable or unwilling to call up even a handful of alternative ways of getting the same point across. When X is put forward, and the other guy asserts not-X and leaves it at that, sure, it could be bad form, begging the question, or just sheer illogicality, but maybe it's just because there hasn't been communication. If one is so very right, one should be able to put forward a view that is disarming in its simplicity and soundness.

As well, if you thought more about why someone is saying something and tried to get under that, try to get right to denying some false belief they have giving rise to the one they're stating, that could cut shouting matches short too. This doesn't always apply, though.

~~

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
So... everything I've been saying for the past 10 pages is 100% correct while all of your assumptions and theories were wrong. Good to have settled that then.

Bowser is unviable anyway. DK gets rendered unviable by this one match-up, same as several other characters. Your point being?
Wow.

You are right, I can't argue with that bull****.

If how you feel is how it is, then I have to support the ban. Your standards of competitive logic are simply too dangerous to the metagame structure. You cannot cut away fractions of the cast like that and continue to have a competitive scene.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sliqs bowser pulls top 5 at the majority of tourneys that he attends...

dont down play people when they are not here to defend themselves.
he got 3rd at the last only in niagara tourney and he tied with me for fifth at my last biweekly

and D3s CG is not "too good" on bridge of eldin, there a crap load of characters you can use against D3 on that stage, especially since you can just wait for the middle to get blown out

and it doesnt matter what you want to call it, your posts are full of ad hominem, and you straight up attack peoples intelligence, credibility, and ability to read and write english, and that is NOT condusive to intelligent discussion and debate. It not OK just because you veil it behind eloquency in your words, it doesnt change the fact that you need to stop being so abrasive and act like the 23 year old that you are instead of just bashing people with lesser vernaculars than you

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Wow.

If how you feel is how it is, then I have to support the ban. Your standards of competitive logic are simply too dangerous to the metagame structure. You cannot cut away fractions of the cast like that and continue to have a competitive scene.
lolwut?
there are other "unviable" characters and characters with ****py matchups. so you mean that they all should be banned?

and you are wrong on the "competitive scene" part. remember melee? melee had so-called "unviable" characters. did it have a healthy metagame in the end? yes it did.
again, "unviability" and "****py matchups" are NOT reasons to ban something.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Wow.

EVERY fighting game has at least one unviable character.

Deal with it.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
sliqs bowser pulls top 5 at the majority of tourneys that he attends...

dont down play people when they are not here to defend themselves.
he got 3rd at the last only in niagara tourney and he tied with me for fifth at my last biweekly

and D3s CG is not "too good" on bridge of eldin, there a crap load of characters you can use against D3 on that stage, especially since you can just wait for the middle to get blown out

and it doesnt matter what you want to call it, your posts are full of ad hominem, and you straight up attack peoples intelligence, credibility, and ability to read and write english, and that is NOT condusive to intelligent discussion and debate. It not OK just because you veil it behind eloquentcy in your words, it doesnt change the fact that you need to stop being so abrasive and like the 23 year old that you are instead of just bashing people with lesser vernaculars than you
Yes Yuna, there are exceptions to everything, if your as logical as you say, then you should know that. NOTHING is set in stone, Einstein saw to that.

If Bridge of Eldin is Counterpick, then we now have a stage where MK is terrible, its his worst stage aside from New Pork City, or so I hear.

And QFT for the last paragraph, and thats the reason why everyone hates Yuna.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Yes Yuna, there are exceptions to everything, if your as logical as you say, then you should know that. NOTHING is set in stone, Einstein saw to that.

If Bridge of Eldin is Counterpick, then we now have a stage where MK is terrible, its his worst stage aside from New Pork City, or so I hear.

And QFT for the last paragraph, and thats the reason why everyone hates Yuna.
lolwut?
under most circumstances, Yuna is a very good debator, better than you I might add. Sure he's not the nicest person on SWF but calling him illogical shows how illogical/ignorant you are in not seeing the logic of his posts.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
EVERY fighting game has at least one unviable character.

Deal with it.
It'd not about dealing with it.

Bowser is unviable anyway. DK gets rendered unviable by this one match-up, same as several other characters. Your point being?
This attitude is simply too dangerous to be the accepted norm. It is self destructive to the playability and longevity of the game.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
lolwut?
under most circumstances, Yuna is a very good debator, better than you I might add. Sure he's not the nicest person on SWF but calling him illogical shows how illogical/ignorant you are in not seeing the logic of his posts.
Oh no no no, you misunderstand me. I call Yuna illogical as he states everything as solid fact, when there is always an exception. (Like Yuna saying Bowser isn't tourny viable, yet there is someone who does very very well with Bowser. And if Gimpy still played Bowser...Watch out!)

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
It'd not about dealing with it.

This attitude is simply too dangerous to be the accepted norm. It is self destructive to the playability and longevity of the game.
how is it not about dealing with it? how is banning it better >_>. i thought we went over this like...40 something pages ago. how is it dangerous? have you once again forgotten melee?

Oh no no no, you misunderstand me. I call Yuna illogical as he states everything as solid fact, when there is always an exception. (Like Yuna saying Bowser isn't tourny viable, yet there is someone who does very very well with Bowser. And if Gimpy still played Bowser...Watch out!)
your point is....? pro-ban people said DK isn't viable. yet people still win with him. sure, Yuna might be wrong in this instance, but i don't see whether this matters in the debate. (though im not quite sure what they were arguing as i haven't read that whole conversation.)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ post number 3210 (lol)
im sorry, i dont see the word illogical in that post.

if i were yuna, i would make some kind of really wordy attack on your ability to read the posts that other people put on the page, and make some kind of snarky remark at the end.

but i wont,

ill just say that the word illogical is not in the post, and in fact, he is going on yunas own assumption that he IS logical and using that to prove the point that he should know that there are no absolutes

P.S. SLIQ IS A BEAST.
RAWR.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
@ post number 3210 (lol)
im sorry, i dont see the word illogical in that post.

if i were yuna, i would make some kind of really wordy attack on your ability to read the posts that other people put on the page, and make some kind of snarky remark at the end.subjective and useless

but i wont,

ill just say that the word illogical is not in the post, and in fact, he is going on yunas own assumption that he IS logical and using that to prove the point that he should know that there are no absolutessubjective and useless

P.S. SLIQ IS A BEAST. subjective and useless
RAWR.
oh hey the subjective kid is back >_>

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
how is it not about dealing with it? how is banning it better >_>. i thought we went over this like...40 something pages ago. how is it dangerous? have you once again forgotten melee?

your point is....? pro-ban people said DK isn't viable. yet people still win with him. sure, Yuna might be wrong in this instance, but i don't see whether this matters in the debate. (though im not quite sure what they were arguing as i haven't read that whole conversation.)
Well, to put it simply, Yuna's attitude is self-destructive. It's really clear - Yuna accepts conditions of the metagame that are not necesarily decided as "set," and his attitude in that post sets a precident for the systematic destruction of the metagame through similar tactics in future titles. What happens in SSB4 when 2 characters can do that to 10 characters of the cast (both don't get the same ten)? SSB5 when a new tech is discovered that eliminates half the cast? The precident Yuna sets is too dangerous.

And yes, DK can win some tourneys in New York. Outside too if it's 4 and a half months ago.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Well, to put it simply, Yuna's attitude is self-destructive. It's really clear - Yuna accepts conditions of the metagame that are not necesarily decided as "set," and his attitude in that post sets a precident for the systematic destruction of the metagame through similar tactics in future titles. What happens in SSB4 when 2 characters can do that to 10 characters of the cast (both don't get the same ten)? SSB5 when a new tech is discovered that eliminates half the cast? The precident Yuna sets is too dangerous.

And yes, DK can win some tourneys in New York. Outside too if it's 4 and a half months ago.
by banning infinites, YOU'RE setting a dangerous precedent as well, have you forgotten the slippery slope?
either way, theorycrafting about the future is a stupid reason to ban something that doesn't need to be banned right now.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
by banning infinites, YOU'RE setting a dangerous precedent as well, have you forgotten the slippery slope?
either way, theorycrafting about the future is a stupid reason to ban something that doesn't need to be banned right now.
True, but I find Yuna's more dangerous, as it has immediate reprocutions.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Nah, a basic Olimar is not hard to learn. Besides, Olimar owns DDD haha.
Actually, the dangerous precident is the "Suck 5" precident. It sets the understanding that characters who are victims of character-specific infinities inherently suck, and should not be helped because they wouldn't be all that viable anyway.

The danger in Yuna's precident has a lot more to do with his insistence that those characters aren't very good, as if that has anything to do with anything.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Actually, the dangerous precident is the "Suck 5" precident. It sets the understanding that characters who are victims of character-specific infinities inherently suck, and should not be helped because they wouldn't be all that viable anyway.

The danger in Yuna's precident has a lot more to do with his insistence that those characters aren't very good, as if that has anything to do with anything.
NO, that might be Yuna's thinking, but whether or not these characters would be viable anyway has NOTHING to do with whether the infinites themselves fit the criteria for a ban. even if every one of the characters affected are top tier, it doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be helped because it isn't universal, doesn't over-centralize, and all that. same applies to "sucky" characters. how good these characters would be without the infinites has nothing to do with whether the move is ban-worthy.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
NO, that might be Yuna's thinking, but whether or not these characters would be viable anyway has NOTHING to do with whether the infinites themselves fit the criteria for a ban. even if every one of the characters affected are top tier, it doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be helped because it isn't universal, doesn't over-centralize, and all that. same applies to "sucky" characters. how good these characters would be without the infinites has nothing to do with whether the move is ban-worthy.
Good. You are consistent on this matter.

Now let's discuss legalizing walled and walk-off stages for all the same reasons, because a ban is the last resort, which was a fact the SBR ignored on these stages. Then the there will be complete consistentency with the understanding of what warrents a ban, reguardless of the side everyone picks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
this right here is TERRIBLY opinionated and cant be had in this discussion

how exactly is it "more immediate" if you reasoning behind that it's dangerous was that it COULD affect future games?

EDIT: i don't agree that not banning this hurts the metagame more than helps it by the way.
who is being sujective now?

this is fun, keep doing it, im throughly enjoying it.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace

Now let's discuss legalizing walled and walk-off stages for all the same reasons, because a ban is the last resort, which was a fact the SBR ignored on these stages. Then the there will be complete consistentency with the understanding of what warrents a ban, reguardless of the side everyone picks.
hmm. alright, i would, but i got to go for the night.
lol sorry.

would you find the quote from serlin where you think it's against banning the walk-offs though. having the exact quote would help a lot. maybe PM it when you find it?

@dakid.
please leave if you cannot find anything to add other than criticize other's posts when you are just as subjective and so is your side of the argument.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

OH **** SON!!

THC is too good
I love THC!

saying it too...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Subjective stuff
THC said:

In fact bring up the stages I'll give you the reasoning behind them and why the should remain banned.

Unless its GHZ it shouldn't be banned. Why? Cause I am Biased.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
"How does one know if a bug destroys the game or even if a legitimate tactic destroys it? The rule of thumb is to assume it doesn’t and keep playing, because 99% of the time, as good as the tactic may be, there will either be a way to counter it or other even better tactics. Prematurely banning something is the scrub’s way. It prevents the scrub from ever discovering the counter to the Valle CC or the diamond trick. It also creates artificial rules that alter the game, when it’s entirely possible that the game was just fine the way it was. It also usually leads to an avalanche of bans in order to be consistent with the first."

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-should-be-banned.html

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Black, thats kinda what Yuna does, maybe sometimes he has points, other times he just insults people. I doubt he would win the public over in a debate with how he talks. At least in America.

So why is this topic still open? The infinite is fine besides vs DK, and if DK finds a tech to break out, then hes set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom