• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just a quick question.

I've been looking for a certain post, but this thread moves kinda fast and can't find it now. What new revelation has caused this infinite to only apply to two characters now?

And who are they?

GofG

Smash Champion
The SBR holds almost no power anymore. Rulesets vary incredibly from region to region. Texas had MK banned, NY bans D3's infinite, the SE prefers a different stage set than Socal. No one is listening to them. If the SBR bans the infinite, then it will remain banned in the NE and will remain unbanned in other areas.

Good night :D

/hug

Veng

Smash Ace
Yea I dont think the SBR should have or had any power over bans/stages any of that, let the **** tournament organizers handle it, they are payin out, not the SBR.

This is what makes opinions count.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
As to this, Mister E if you really think it's a "glitch" then you don't really know what constitutes a "glitch".

Creator's intent is a ridiculous argument. Everything humanly possible in the game is for all intents and purposes how it should be played--to its extent. If you want to experience creator's intent, go watch a movie.
I said I wanted to take a hiatus from this debate, because it has no purpose. But here you are addressing me.

GofG put words in my mouth. I never called it a "bug" or a "glitch". Maybe he had me mixed up with someone else.
In fact, I never called it anything, but right now I'll call it an oversight. That is all it is in terms of how it relates to the game's programming.

GofG

Smash Champion
Well, standardization is good. I like the idea of the SBR, and I wish people would follow their ideas, but unfortunately no one knows what is "correct". There was very little contest in melee as to what was "right" and "wrong" because the game was incredibly balanced.

MR E I WAS TALKING TO LUIGI PLAYA, NOT YOU!!!

*sadface* I want to be friends, not enemies! <3

RDK

Smash Hero
There's no reason why what worked for Melee shouldn't work for Brawl. It's the same exact game, just watered down.

What people are failing to realize is that we've already come across things like this in the past, and there's no reason to change our reasoning for the things we do. TL;DR: f it's not broke, don't fix it.

GofG

Smash Champion
snakes and ladders =/= eels and escalators, similarly.

edit: I did not expect this to be so much of a conversation stopper!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nobody is equally skilled than anybody else.
Roughly equal skill. And you can be 100% equally skilled, it's just very, very improbable. The main point is that nobody cares if someone who is really bad loses to someone who is really good despite having a good match-up, a point which you, as usual, strawmanned.

To make more characters viable.
Insufficient answer. You just said so, yourself, that the Competitive community has no reason to ban it. We do not ban things to maximize the number of viable characters, no matter how much you want this to be true.

Yeah but how did they come to the game?
This was not what you argued. Stop strawmanning.

Also, I never said that I only talk about competitive players, but I'm sure many of them do care about their characters.
Caring =/= Playing the game because they favorite character is in it.

If you're talking mostly about Casual players, then why does it matter? It has no place here. This debate is strictly about Competitive play.

If nobody would care about characters we'd only see Meta Knights probably.
People's favorite characters to play as, not favorite characters to have as best friends. But I still don't care enough to whine about things that are "unfair" against my characters being banned. I just switch, like any normal Competitive player.

Note more than 50 % of our community play Meta Knight, so it means they like the characters.
They like his moveset.

If I said "favourite characters" I meant "characters they like". If doesn't have to be their favourite, but they know and like them.
You said "favorite characters". You said it. It is not our fault you said it. You made a mistake here. You are still wrong. I did not start playing this game Competitively or at all because I just happened to like Peach. I liked the gameplay, the game in general and Peach's moveset.

The fact that she's quite ditzy and keeps getting kidnapped and is quite weak in many Mario games just ticks me off.

My favourite character was always Sonic and I still played Smash 64 and Melee. Why? Because I happen to also like the Mario series!
Whoopity doo. You =/= The word.

Random BS that has nothing to do with anything.
Stop spewing nonsense. It just clutters your post up and makes me wish to stop reading it.

If the reason the matchup is that bad would be just because the character is really THAT bad, he wouldn't be played anyway.
BS reasoning. So something that's broken is not broken if it's against a character that is bad, anyway. If it's against a good character, it needs banning, if it's against a bad character, who cares? That's BS. That's telling the bad character he's screwed because he's bad anyway and the good character we'll do everything we can to help him since he's good. That's like saying "Sorry, you're poor. Nobody cares if someone stabbed you". However, you seem to think Samus is actually quite good. So your definition of "Good" is really loose.

This is just a stupid bug in the game
How many times must we say this?

It is not a glitch, it is not a bug, it is not even an error! How can you claim to be a game designer yet think it's a glitch, a bug and/or an error?!

What, do they just hand out degrees in game design through cereal box give-aways in Austria? Or are you just an aspiring game designer who's either still studying it or who just wishes to study it? Because, seriously, if you're a licensed game designer who has any influence on any games that Austria churns out, whatsoever, I vow to never again play a game made, even in part, in Austria.

Where is the proof? Every Melee played always said, that there are MUCH more Casual players than competitive players.
I'm sorry, I said I was talking about Casual players when? Casual players have no place in this debate. What they do or think is inconsequential.

About 95 % or something.
Random assumptions, talking out of your behind, making **** up, stop doing it now.

Most people play the game, because of the characters.
Casually. And we could care less.

And those people changed from casual to competitive and still want to use their character, or else NOBODY would play Ness, Sonic, or any character that is lower on the tier list than high.
Many went from Casual to Competitive play, yes. But they didn't start playing the game Competively (even if they started out playing it Casually) because of the characters!

Why is your main Zelda anyway?
Because I like her moveset and the way she plays. I don't even play Zelda that much, like, ever.

I know. But this thing is just a stupid bug.
It is not a bug. I love it how a supposed game designer can't even tell what's a glitch, a bug or an error.

So you just let those characters die because of a bug we could just ban?
We could ban one jillion things. We don't because it would not be warrantedb.

DK cannot move after he got grabbed.
DK can move before he gets grabbed. You spoke as if he could not move altogether. And if that's the criteria, all infinites have to go.

Nobody will master anything 100 %. Nobody will master D3s infinite on DK 100 %.
What part of "master how to do consistently" sounded like "Will be able to do it 100% of the time" in your ears?

There are still IC mains like Hylian and Lain and probably others who are still messing up grabs. No IC main at this time can do it that good to never make mistakes (I know that because humans aren't perfect, so that's you ****ing proof if you want to ask for it again).
It is humanly possible to master it so such a level you almost never ever make a mistake. The fact that no one has yet to reach that level because of the sheer brunt of variables to memorize does not make it impossible or even that hard (if you can memorize a lot of things, that is).

If one grab from every IC players there is (because if it would be really easy there will be many people playing them) = death, then it would be banned.
No, it wouldn't.

It would over-centralise the game.
No, it wouldn't. Because ICs have crappy grab range, crappy traction and Nana has to still be alive and desynched (unless the opponent had quite a lot of % when they got grabbed, somehow). Even if an IC were to be able to get the infinite every single time, the fact that it's so hard to initiate means that it would not over-centralize the game. IC's wouldn't be the only or even among the top characters to play as to stand even a chance at winning.

I suggest you stop arguing things you have zero insight into and knowledge of. Contrary to popular belief, making stuff up and assuming the hell out of things will not win you debates. Especially not if more knowledgeable people with more insight than you are present and will point out just how wrong you are.

It just means: Choose IC and get a 3 grabs and you win, or choose someone else and try to avoid the grab.
Yes, and since it's so easy to not get consistently infinited by IC's so such an extent you cannot consistently beat them with quite a few other characters, it would not be over-centralizing anything.

You can't tell me it would not be like that.
I just did.

So you're for the MK ban?
No, because it is not warranted.

What about his IDC technique?
IDC is stalling. It is already banned under the umbrella criteria of "Stalling.

I would also want to ban it if I didn't play DK.
And nobody cares.

Fox can avoid Pikachus grab more easily and Fox actually has a chance to win.
Doesn't matter. If he gets grabbed, it's almost as bad. Fox's match-up against Pikachu when the chaingrab connects is horrible. He does not stand a chance to win, unless the Fox is much better than the Pikachu and nobody cares when that happens.

We only cares what happens if two people of roughly equal skill play.

Do you think Anther could beat every Fox player on earth every time?
Most probably.

If he doesn't screw up time and time again, he will win. If you screw up, you can lose. If D3 keeps screwing up the infinite, he could lose. This is irrelevant.

The Fox has still a chance and could win. His matchup sucks, but he could still win.
Not to such a degree it matters in Competitive gaming.

DK can not win against the best Dedede. It is impossible. DK should be 3 or at least 2 stocked every time. There is no way he can win.
This has never been a reason to ban anything.

But not impossible.
Impossible indeed.

So you say the best CF in the world will never ever be able to beat a good Meta Knight? No human is perfect, CF still has a chance.
What part of "Nobody cares if the best <X player> in the world can beat mediocre to bad <Y character>!" was too Russian for you to understand? Nobody cares. It has no bearing on whether or not something should be banned.

DK vs D3 is the only matchup that is impossible.
No, it's not. It is in your eyes, but nobody really cares what you think (no really, we don't).

No character can be that unviable.
Why?

And if people would want it banned, then why not ban it?
People want MK banned. People want Hyrule Temple unbanned. People want Smash Balls on. People want to live on the moon. People want free money. People want to marry attractive movie stars. People want to rule the world. I want certain stupid people to be sequestered into a tiny island nation and never be allowed to leave.

And this matters because?

Samus isn't the best character, but she isn't that bad. She also still has a chance to win. And that's the big deal.
No. She doesn't. If you think she does, you obviously do not possess the necessary insight into how Competitive gaming works and how match-ups and fighting games in general work to participate in this debate.

So you're 100 % sure that the best Samus in the world will not be able to beat good Meta Knights?
Nobody cares if the best Samus in the world can beat Meta Knights that are clearly much worse than he is. We care if he can beat Meta Knight players of roughly the same level of skill as he is... and he can't. As evidenced by the fact that the best Samuses in the world are losing to Meta Knight worse than they are.

If yes, then you just think wrong.
Prove it. Your assumptions mean nothing.

Why not just ban infinites altogether?
You're welcome to make that argument. I'll be here to shred you.

You can not avoid a grab with DK from D3.
Yes you can. It's just extremely improbable. Stop talking in absolute and extreme terms.

Because I like playing competitive means I can't ban a bug that makes a character unviable? Meh, not a good reason for me.
1) Not a bug. If you call it a glitch, bug or error one more time, I swear to God, I will track you down and have whatever university which gave you your supposed degree revoke it (or if you're still studying game design, I'll have you thrown out of school).
2) It's how Competitive gaming works! If you don't like it, go back to Casual gaming.

Yuna doesn't care what was said here.
Stop ignoring my reply to you.

I'll even make it easy on you:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6208812&postcount=4390

Especially this part:
I also noticed how none of this had anything to do what I asked you to do:
Explain why your criteria are objective, valid, not arbitrary, stands up in "court", won't set a dangerous/bad/plain stupid precedent etc., etc., etc. You just tried to strawman everything by arguing entirely different things, as if I wouldn't notice.

And most of your "facts" are just plain wrong. The rest is almost 100% personal opinion.

You made some arguments, I demanded elaboration and justification. You tried to strawman your way out of it, I called you on it, then you acted as if none of it had ever happened and decided to try to steer the conversation away from your inane arguments and into one little irrelevant sidetrack: What random D3 players think about the infinite.

I will not let you get away with this. Either admit to talking out of your behind and having very little justification for your stance or actually answer the questions. I'll even PM you to make sure there's no possible way for you to claim to not have seen this.

Here's my reply to that post, BTW:
Yuna, take a look at this to get an idea of how the DDD users feel.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208999&page=3

Btw Yuna, you are definitely a "ruthless debater".
Nobody cares what random no-name D3's who will probably never place at any tournament but their very local weeklies in their own basements think. We only care what the more enlightened, wise, intelligent and knowledgeable D3's (or, as I'd like to think of them, players in general since I could care less if they played D3, someone who got infinited or someone else entirely) think.

But just to humor you, here's the tally:
Don't care either way: 11
Ban: 1111111
Not ban: 1
Not sure: 1
D3 user, but blatantly not a main: 1
Has absolutely no place in that thread because they do not play D3 at all: 11
D3's who matter for the ban: 1 (CO18)

Then I lost interest. The first two pages were almost 100% no-name D3's and supposed D3 players who, judging from their posts justifying their stance, had little to no insight into Competitive gaming and Competitive Smash, who were just plain misguided in what warrants a ban and who were just downright stupid (some of them).

Even C018 didn't really provide any valid reasoning. At least he didn't provide blatantly stupid reasoning.

So congratulations, you just proved that the majority of no-name D3 players who will never place well at tournaments or ever really affect the results of tournaments and who are either stupid, misguided or ignorant on how Competitive gaming and Competitive Smash works think the infinite should be banned.

The collective (credible) Competitive Smash community ask:
Why does it matter?

Nobody cares. Even if the majority of those D3s were credible players who are actually good and have insight into the game and Competitive gaming, it wouldn't matter if they couldn't sufficiently justify their stance in a debate.

I talked to Overswarm in a couple of AIM conversations a few weeks ago... and he told me the SBR is not going to be banning the infinites any time soon.
This was obvious to anyone of us with insight into Competitive gaming and logic. I mean, they didn't ban Meta Knight. Why would they possibly ban this?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Nobody is equally skilled than anybody else.
Aproximately equal. In other words, "close enough that match-ups are the deciding factor.

To make more characters viable.
And as we established, for general competative gaming, making one character more viable is not a valid reason to ban.

So why are you arguing that we should ban it from competitive smash?

Yeah but how did they come to the game? Also, I never said that I only talk about competitive players, but I'm sure many of them do care about their characters.

If nobody would care about characters we'd only see Meta Knights probably.
Note more than 50 % of our community play Meta Knight, so it means they like the characters.

If I said "favourite characters" I meant "characters they like". If doesn't have to be their favourite, but they know and like them.

My favourite character was always Sonic and I still played Smash 64 and Melee. Why? Because I happen to also like the Mario series!
Yes, people care about their mains, nobody will disagree with you on that.

But that wasn't what people were disagreeing with you about. People were disagreeing with you about your sweeping generalizations about why people got into and continue to play the game.

So don't change your argument and expect people to not notice, when you're wrong, ADMIT IT.

This is just a stupid bug in the game, and we should ban it to help those characters and to remove an error the programmers didn't notice.
Bug and glitch are the same. Both refer to programming errors (such as stack overflows), not the game and physics working fine, but in a way that significantly disadvantages a character and may or may not have been noticed.

Again, whether it was a glitch, erorr, exploit, bug, or whatever does not factor into ban decisions.

Where is the proof? Every Melee played always said, that there are MUCH more Casual players than competitive players. About 95 % or something. They're the minority.
Most people play the game, because of the characters.
And those people changed from casual to competitive and still want to use their character, or else NOBODY would play Ness, Sonic, or any character that is lower on the tier list than high.
Why is your main Zelda anyway? She isn't even high tier, from what you say you wouldn't win anything with her. Is that so? Why don't you switch characters? Do you like Zelda or what?
Again, where's your proof?

Within the casual crowds I've seen very few people who play this game for reasons beyond it's chaotic "fun" nature. A couple of people play it for individual characters, but the vast majority of players that I know of prefere the entire screen to spontaniously combust.

Yes, I didn't say everyone. Some people just like the game, although I still don't get why some people play Smash. I thought every non-Nintendo player thinks it's just for kiddies.
Most Nintendo players are probably fanboys and nobody else would play this.
Perhaps it's something to do with your country, and I know that it has issues with distribution in Europe. But in general it's an accepted video game, for example in America you'll find it in every other dorm room/suite in your average college.

I get now why you're saying that people play it for the characters, but that's why you NEED statistics for these sorts of generalizations, because your area might be the exception, and Europe as a whole is where the game isn't particularly popular, and that leads to the unusual situation where the exceptional player (somebody that plays the game for the characters) is the rule in your area.

But don't assume it's the rule in general. Remember, in Texas voters for McCain were the rule, but in general they were the exception. It happens ALL THE TIME.

I know. But this thing is just a stupid bug.
Firstly, it's not a bug. You as a game programmer should know that (though I understand that English is your second language which explains why you don't know what "bug" means).

Secondly, whether it's a bug or not doesn't matter, at all.

So you just let those characters die because of a bug we could just ban?
You could easily say the same thing about MK's tornado (remember, it doesn't matter if it's a bug).

DK cannot move after he got grabbed.
But the grab ends eventually under the standard ruleset, and then he can move again.

Nobody will master anything 100 %. Nobody will master D3s infinite on DK 100 %.
There are still IC mains like Hylian and Lain and probably others who are still messing up grabs. No IC main at this time can do it that good to never make mistakes (I know that because humans aren't perfect, so that's you ****ing proof if you want to ask for it again).

If one grab from every IC players there is (because if it would be really easy there will be many people playing them) = death, then it would be banned. It would over-centralise the game. It just means: Choose IC and get a 3 grabs and you win, or choose someone else and try to avoid the grab.

You can't tell me it would not be like that. If it was as easy as Dededes infinite, there would nearly only be IC players and their grab would be banned (or the whole ICs, if there are "smart" people)
Yeah, humans make stupid mistakes, but in general, for IC mains, grab=death.

That's the thing, they very rarely actually grab people.

Why? Their grab range sucks, I can very easily outspace them with say, Marth. Or MK. Or Wario. Or Dk. Or a Number of other characters.

Even with the infjnite against the entire cast, even for people who pull it off all the time, how often do ICs win tournaments? Not often.

I would also want to ban it if I didn't play DK. Fox can avoid Pikachus grab more easily and Fox actually has a chance to win. Do you think Anther could beat every Fox player on earth every time? The Fox has still a chance and could win. His matchup sucks, but he could still win.

DK can not win against the best Dedede. It is impossible. DK should be 3 or at least 2 stocked every time. There is no way he can win.
Again I'll point out that I three-stocked a superior fox player after picking up Pikachu on a whim and learning the chaingrab mid-match (did it perfectly the first time). I'd just seen a video, otherwise I've had basically no pikachu expirience.

Practically speaking, the DK match-up is the same, the difference is just theoretical.

So you say the best CF in the world will never ever be able to beat a good Meta Knight? No human is perfect, CF still has a chance.
Practically speaking, the best Captain Falcon in the world should get at least two-stocked by a person randomly picking up MK on a whim.

DK vs D3 is the only matchup that is impossible.
There are plenty of other match-ups with the same practical result as the DDD v. DK match-up.

No character can be that unviable. And if people would want it banned, then why not ban it?
Nobody would care anyway, since the unviable character couldn't do anything even if there wasn't the infinite.
Appeal to majority fallacy, just because the majority wants it doesn't mean it should happen.

Otherwise, welcome to all items on high, MK banned, Hyrule temple matches.

Because it is impossible. Fox can still win against Pikachu.
So can DK against DDD.

In both case, their opponent just has to be horrible.

Why not just ban infinites altogether? I do understand that ICs have a really hard time grabbing. That's why I don't think it should get banned, because you can avoid it and they are still beatable.
Not a slippery slope at all[/sarcasm]

Because it artificially changes match-ups and artificially renders certain characters less viable then they are.

You can not avoid a grab with DK from D3.
Yes you can.

If you ban the infinite then you will never get to the point where something like that happens.
And what makes that situation superior?

Because I like playing competitive means I can't ban a bug that makes a character unviable? Meh, not a good reason for me.
Not a bug.

Regardless, part of being a competative gamer is having a competative mindset, which you don't seem to have.

Don't be so assured of yourselves. The SBR will look at the argument from more angles than any individual one of us can comprehend.
This is not being assured of myself, this is explaining the progression of the debate, where am I incorrect?

And yes I can comprehend, I've got considerable expirience in these types of deliberative bodies, granted the subject matter wasn't the same, but deliberative bodies share many common aspects, which is why expirience in one makes you more useful for others.

Just a quick question.

I've been looking for a certain post, but this thread moves kinda fast and can't find it now. What new revelation has caused this infinite to only apply to two characters now?

And who are they?
Basically, Reflex and Magus broke out of it after a single pummel, one at 127, the other at 130+. This means that it's only an infinite against the characters that do not require a pummel to continue, aka, DDD himself and DK. Granted Bowser's small-step chaingrab doesn't require a pummel and many people equate the two because they cause a similarly bad match-up.

Ruse

Fox
but could it b possible to just ban CG period??
The title under your name says "Smash n00b" for a reason.

I guess if you want DDD to be bottom tier you could ban the CG, but if you banned his CG there's no reason not to ban Falco's. H***, why stop there? Ban every CG (even IC, don't mind that that's more than half of their game or anything).

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yuna, there's something seriously wrong with you.

I said G' night a while ago, and was about to go to sleep right now. And wow, you even sent me a PM to argue with me more.

We all might as well take a permanent hiatus from this bickering since we are at a brickwall here. We have all assured ourselves of our own opinions and the rest is up to the SBR.

Talk to SamuraiPanda and Umbreon if you'd like. They are pro-ban SBR'ers, both of whom have been playing smash for years.
However, I care little for what the SBR has to say on this issue.
Ultimately, the TO's have the authority. Again, I have a DDD infinite-banned tournament tomorrow, and here it is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211462

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, there's something seriously wrong with you.
Enjoy your infraction.

I said G' night a while ago, and was about to go to sleep right now.
Then why are you not asleep?

We all might as well take a permanent hiatus from this bickering since we are at a brickwall here. We have all assured ourselves of our own opinions and the rest is up to the SBR.
No, this is you refusing to answer valid questions. I have never answered these questions I posed. You refuse to answer them because you know you cannot.

You're trying to play the role of innocent little martyr being picked on by the mean, mean Yuna because you know that you do not have justification. You reasons are all arbitrary and not based on logic or deep contemplation.

If they are/aren't, why don't you just answer the questions I posed? It's not like it's hard (if you have the answers).

Talk to SamuraiPanda and Umbreon if you'd like.
Why should I? I asked you. You justify your position and your opinions and your arguments. Why should I ask other people to justify your stance for you?

So not only are you categorically refusing to answer questions, first pretending like they were never asked, then pretending like you didn't see me repeating them, then calling me names and now you're telling me to go ask other people to answer the questions for you.

Just admit it. You cannot answer them. That or actually answer them.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Okay, new angle here (or old angle, w/e). I'm wondering what makes the existing standard so flawless? It seems just as arbitrarily decided as those saying "it's not fair" and "it overcentralizes the game"; especially since it's basically carried over from other games with little amendment.

You could say "Well, it's successful for other games, why not this one?" but what would make it UNsuccessful? Those tourneys with the infinite banned run smoothly enough and the best players usually come out on top, just like the tourneys with it banned. If results and competition were to benefit more from decisions set outside the current standards, how would we know? Especially since we equate Sasori from NGNTEX to what we're discussing here.

My thoughts, there are too many variables from one game to another to have the same standard for all of them.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
People who send walls of text to argue with someone via PM does have serious issues to work out. Face it.

And I answered all your questions already. You inherently disagree with me on my answers and forget that I even answered you in the first place.

I'm getting to bed now so I will be well rested for my DDD infinite-banned tournament tomorrow afternoon.
--> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211462

Well, I sent you a PM back. Don't bother me again.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Meh, I think all infinites that take away complete control of your character (ICs infinite chaingrab, DDD's infinite on DK) should be banned. However, a lot of people are fine with the ICs infinite, so those won't get banned unless they overcentralize things, and DDDs does not overcentralize it.... oh well. D=

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
People who send walls of text to argue with someone via PM does have serious issues to work out. Face it.
It was hardly a wall of text. It was, what, 4 paragraphs. Why did I PM them to you? Because you had previously ignored it. And it's a common practice. I was calling you out.

And I answered all your questions already. You inherently disagree with me on my answers and forget that I even answered you in the first place.
Read my post again. I was not asking you why you want it banned. I didn't ask you to explain why your criteria, reasons and reasoning were valid. I asked for something else entirely, that you justify them, to explain why they aren't arbitrary and why they are fit to set a precedent.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I have said this before but perhaps you missed it.

I believe DDD's infinite is detrimental to competition.
A technique that takes no skill to use in battle, that easily nets you the win vs. any particular characters does a lot to help scrubs take the win away from the better player. Plus, it can be used for stalling. And stalling is banned.

If these are concepts that don't bother you, then you are entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to my own.

I hope that satisfies you.

DDD infinite-banned tourney tomorrow for me. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211462
Now, G'NIGHT!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yuna, I never studied this, and I do it just for fun (and mostly for myself).

I thought glitch or bug means that something doesn't work how it should.
I'm sorry for not knowing that. I guess I'll just call it an oversight from now on.

Also, you can avoid Dededes grab, but if you hang on the ledge the whole match, you will not win anyway, so you can either not win, or not win. There's no difference.

Matchups:

1: Kirk(Ike)
2: Arty(Falco)
3: chompy (Diddy)
4: MachinegunNorm (Snake)
5: Ook (DK)
5: DLA(Snake/Ganon/DK)
7: Quik(Wario)
7: infy (G&W)

So from what you say, Kirk is way better than any of the other players.

1. Espy (Sonic)
2. K prime (Pikachu)
3. Hylian (Game and Watch/Diddy)
4. Morningstar (Snake)
5. Loko (Lucario)
5. JoWii (Kirby, Falco)
7. Tofer (Peach)
7. Dance Grenade (Snake)

Espy is much better than any other player on that list?

Matchups aren't everything, even if both players are about equal in skill the one with the higher advantage will not automatically win every fight.

100 % equal skill is not possible. No humans think exactly the same. Nobody is exactly equal. I think you're trying so hard to counter everything I say that you just post your opinions (too).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have said this before but perhaps you missed it.

I believe DDD's infinite is detrimental to competition.
A technique that takes no skill to use in battle, that easily nets you the win vs. any particular characters does a lot to help scrubs take the win away from the better player. Plus, it can be used for stalling. And stalling is banned.
This has nothing to do with what I asked you to do! Either do what I actually asked you to do or stop pretending like I asked you to tell me why you think it should be banned (because I didn't)!

GofG

Smash Champion
YO WHEN I HIT IT I HIT L, SHIFT, O TO THE QUOTE, AND THEN DOLLAR. IF YOU KNOW THE DIR OF THE NERDCORE RHYME, YOU HOLLER.

Yuna, you should let Mr. E get some rest, and come rap nerdcore-style with me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Matchups:

Are you trying to say he isn't?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, I never studied this, and I do it just for fun (and mostly for myself).
Then you're just a wannabe. At least my faith in the Austrian educational system has been restored (not that I ever really cared about it to begin with).

I thought glitch or bug means that something doesn't work how it should.
How many times must we tell you that it works just as it should? What part of it is malfunctioning?!

I guess I'll just call it an oversight from now on.
Tons of things are "oversights" in games if by "oversight", you mean "Things that were not foreseen by the makers", as in "Things that are used in ways the makers did not expect them to be used". This is irrelevant and has no bearing on whether or not something should be banned, however.

Also, you can avoid Dededes grab, but if you hang on the ledge the whole match, you will not win anyway, so you can either not win, or not win. There's no difference.
But the important thing is that you can avoid it.

Matchups:

1. Espy (Sonic)
2. K prime (Pikachu)
3. Hylian (Game and Watch/Diddy)
4. Morningstar (Snake)
5. Loko (Lucario)
5. JoWii (Kirby, Falco)
7. Tofer (Peach)
7. Dance Grenade (Snake)

Espy is much better than any other player on that list?
Who the hell are these people? Random Austrian players of a lesser skill level? Nobody cares.

Matchups aren't everything, even if both players are about equal in skill the one with the higher advantage will not automatically win every fight.
I never said this. What I said was that nobody cares about whether or not a match-up can be won when the gap of skill is large. We only care if it can be won if the gap of skill is quite small.

Of course someone who's much, much better than someone else can win a losing match-up that is really, really bad. But it doesn't matter.

Also, it only matters if the players involved are playing the game at the highest possible skill level (something I will bet good money on that none of those players are if they let an Ike and a Sonic win). If they aren't, nobody cares. People of lesser skill levels will screw up infinites, not know the best way to play match-ups, etc., etc., thus what they can and cannot do have no relevance to whether or not something should be banned.

100 % equl skill is not possible. No humans think exactly the same. Nobody is exactly equal. I think you're trying so hard to counter everything I say that you just post your opinions.
Roughly the same skill level. I have used that term several times now.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Understand that IS why I feel my position will "stand up in court". I also don't feel it will set a bad precedent because my opinion is that we should ban this infinite, which banning it has no negative impact on the game at all. The SBR will never ban things that in doing so, could worsen the competitive nature of the game.

Night all.
I am out!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Smooth Criminal! How goes Scientology?
Well, I went to Target yesterday and some fuddy-duddy gave me a book about Scientology. I looked at 'em funny and walked off, dropping the book on a median strip somewhere (within plain sight of the person). I called out, "NO HARM TO GAIA!" and "In Nomine Vermiis!"

She didn't quite get the Werewolf: the Apocalypse joke, both in action and in spoken word. Oh well.

/off-topic

Anyway. Why do people INSIST on complaining about these infinites? The solutions are very simple and very practical: Just play better or pick a different character. It doesn't even so much have to be a BETTER character.

Smooth Criminal

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Understand that IS why I feel my position will "stand up in court".
Then why is it not arbitrary? Why will it not set a bad precedent? What happens if a character gets rendered unviable by two techniques instead of just one? Answer these questions!

I also don't feel it will set a bad precedent because my opinion is that we should ban this infinite, which banning it has no negative impact on the game at all.
Which would make it a very arbitrary. The negative impact is that we're removing a piece of the metagame for no warranted reason other than an arbitrary wish to re-balance match-ups, something which is never done in Competitive gaming, which recognizes that certain match-ups are just unwinnable.

And "It carries no negative repercussions" is not a valid argument either, even if it were true.

Anyway. Why do people INSIST on complaining about these infinites? The solutions are very simple and very practical: Just play better or pick a different character. It doesn't even so much have to be a BETTER character.
I'd prefer it if they just stopped playing the game.

GofG

Smash Champion
LOOK AT ME, I AM YUNA. I AM A REASONABLE PERSON, BUT I KEEP PEOPLE UP LATE AT NIGHT.

You are so mean, Yuna. Let the poor man go to bed! At least he isn't as bad as Luigi Player or Brinboy.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Are you trying to say he isn't?
I guess he is better, but from what everyone says, he is much much better than anyone on the list.

Then you're just a wannabe. At least my faith in the Austrian educational system has been restored (not that I ever really cared about it to begin with).
Why am I a "wannabe"? I never said that I'm a game designer that makes money out of it or has studied anything.
I said I program games, which is true.

I don't care what you think of Austria. And just because I don't know exactly what a word means it means my games suck or whatever you thought?

How many times must we tell you that it works just as it should? What part of it is malfunctioning?!
Yeah because the game designers wanted that Dedede has a chaingrab on nearly all characters and can infinite some?

Tons of things are "oversights" in games if by "oversight", you mean "Things that were not foreseen by the makers", as in "Things that are used in ways the makers did not expect them to be used". This is irrelevant and has no bearing on whether or not something should be banned, however.
Of course not, but this thing should, because if makes something really really bad. It is an oversight that does in no way make the game better. It makes it worse, so I don't see the problem in banning it.

But the important thing is that you can avoid it.
Wtf are you talking about? And Captain Falcon can run away from Meta Knight! Does that mean MK will never hit him because CF is faster? No.

Who the hell are these people? Random Austrian players of a lesser skill level? Nobody cares.
Those are results I copied that were posted in Ankokus thread.

I never said this. What I said was that nobody cares about whether or not a match-up can be won when the gap of skill is large. We only care if it can be won if the gap of skill is quite small.
And I just said that the skill gap is small.

Of course someone who's much, much better than someone else can win a losing match-up that is really, really bad. But it doesn't matter.
I wasn't talking about that.

Also, it only matters if the players involved are playing the game at the highest possible skill level (something I will bet good money on that none of those players are if they let an Ike and a Sonic win). If they aren't, nobody cares. People of lesser skill levels will screw up infinites, not know the best way to play match-ups, etc., etc., thus what they can and cannot do have no relevance to whether or not something should be banned.
Tell this the players.

If people mess up the infinite a few times then they will still win against DK, because the matchup is that bad.

Roughly the same skill level. I have used that term several times now.
You said that it is possible to have 100 % equal skill.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Luigi Player, for the umpteenth time, be sure to NOT make sweeping generalizations as to why we play the characters that we play. I don't care about Zelda's character, just the fact that she can end lives extremely early in the air.

Just a quick question.

And who are they?
Well basically it's like this:

DK is the only one truly hit by an infinite. With Bowser, DDD moves negligibly, so by the time he gets to the edge, a throw will always kill Bowser anyway, so he's part of the infinite. Those are the two.

DDD himself does not matter, as we know. Mario, Luigi, and Samus are only infinited past 130%, which is basically end stock in the first place. Before then, they are not infinited. This is why it's down to two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom