• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm sticking around. Haven't said much, partially out of fears this place will turn into a copy of the Link forums, but I do play the character consistently.
Why would this place be a copy of the Link Boards? The Link Boards are the Link Boards, they're unique and cannot be copied.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thankfully.

So far this place has been a pretty good spot for sharing Ryu info.
Ironically, in part because of the order regarding threads and informations which has been molded after the Link Boards template.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Minus the rampant elitism, making the information here far more appealing to read in the first place. I'm liking it here.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Thank you for that. No sarcasm here; I really do appreciate it. I admittedly stayed away from these forums at first when I noticed you were here, but the tone on these forums seems to be a lot better and I like what you've been doing to contribute and on the Ryu forums so far. Thank you, again.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thank you for that. No sarcasm here; I really do appreciate it. I admittedly stayed away from these forums at first when I noticed you were here, but the tone on these forums seems to be a lot better and I like what you've been doing to contribute and on the Ryu forums so far. Thank you, again.
Interestingly enough, I did the same thing for the Link boards, but nobody noticed/cared because of the way the rules are enforced. In any case, as I've said and other Link mains have also said int his very social. This isn't our neck of the woods, so we have no reason/desire to spread our culture here. These are the Ryu boards, then let them be the Ryu boards, not a copy of any other board.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Yes, thank God these board are here so I can find respite from the endless tyranny of the Link boards. I come away there wanting to slit my throat; I arrive here bathing in sunshine and happiness, ready to hug my neighbors and wishing the best for the world. I love Ryu and these boards!

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yeeessss; my favorite SFII version! I'll definitely buy when/if come to the west!
I hope for SFA3 and Super Puzzle Fighter next. :3

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I've been studying Ryu's down B today, and here's a few things I've noticed:

It's not super armor, it's a form of damage based invincibility? It will block up to half of the damage and after a certain point it stops blocking attacks and the attack will go through the invincibility (~25%ish...? Not quite sure.)

So say you down B a move that does 20%, theoretically you should take 10% damage even though you blocked it. Or if you took 32%, theoretically you should take 16%. 50%? you should take 25%.

The invincibility seems to be frame 1.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I wish the Focus Attack had a similar tolerance to opponents attacks as it does in SFIV;.. it's meant to take weak punches and kicks (and some normal projectiles, not multiple hits).. but in Smash4, seems that there are many one strike attacks (like Dash Attacks) that breaks the charging; ... maybe 'cause most of Smash Bros. one hit properties are stronger than SFIV ones? .. I dunno, I'm not a technical guy..
I miss the Solar Plexus Strike to link after a Focus though. :p

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I wish the Focus Attack had a similar tolerance to opponents attacks as it does in SFIV;.. it's meant to take weak punches and kicks (and some normal projectiles, not multiple hits).. but in Smash4, seems that there are many one strike attacks (like Dash Attacks) that breaks the charging; ... maybe 'cause most of Smash Bros. one hit properties are stronger than SFIV ones? .. I dunno, I'm not a technical guy..
To be fair, there are such things as armor breakers in SFIV.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually the charging only breaks with multiple hits or if you just happened to release B. While holding B it'll absorb every hit except the KO punch.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Actually the charging only breaks with multiple hits or if you just happened to release B. While holding B it'll absorb every hit except the KO punch.
It doesn't absorb other strong hits like charged Bowser f-smash, Ganondorf utilt etc

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It doesn't absorb other strong hits like charged Bowser f-smash, Ganondorf utilt etc
Interesting because I actually absorbed Roy's B. Not sure if it was fully charged or not, but it was a charged B for sure and it absorbed it entirely.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Interesting because I actually absorbed Roy's B. Not sure if it was fully charged or not, but it was a charged B for sure and it absorbed it entirely.
I've been studying Ryu's down B today, and here's a few things I've noticed:

It's not super armor, it's a form of damage based invincibility? It will block up to half of the damage and after a certain point it stops blocking attacks and the attack will go through the invincibility (~25%ish...? Not quite sure.)

So say you down B a move that does 20%, theoretically you should take 10% damage even though you blocked it. Or if you took 32%, theoretically you should take 16%. 50%? you should take 25%.

The invincibility seems to be frame 1.
It's about 25%

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It's about 25%
Oh wait, I think I'm misunderstanding this. Basically if an attack does more than 25% it'll defeat the armor and it'll hit Ryu instead of Ryu absorbing the attack?

Just to make sure I understand completely.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh wait, I think I'm misunderstanding this. Basically if an attack does more than 25% it'll defeat the armor and it'll hit Ryu instead of Ryu absorbing the attack?

Yes. Although I don't have the exact numbers, it seems to be about 25%.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yes. Although I don't have the exact numbers, it seems to be about 25%.
Ah, ok. Interesting. Well, few attacks do more than 25% or even get to that figure. It'll still be a good idea to know which attacks do though just to make extra sure to avoid them.

Thanks.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Well, few attacks do more than 25% or even get to that figure. It'll still be a good idea to know which attacks do though just to make extra sure to avoid them.
Yes, protip: it is generally wise to avoid getting hit by Ganondorf's Utilt.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
What if... the lost health regenerated as long as you don't get hit!?

Yes, protip: it is generally wise to avoid getting hit by Ganondorf's Utilt.
Just shield it thats the best option.
Wait srs can you perfect shield it? So much style.

Has anyone seen the new street fighter movies? They're up on netflix, the animation is odd.

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
haha do NOT try to perfect shield Ganon's U-Tilt... It shield breaks and that leads to a free reverse ganon punch

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
haha do NOT try to perfect shield Ganon's U-Tilt... It shield breaks and that leads to a free reverse ganon punch
Nah, I'll just run up to it and counter it.

Especially with :4littlemac: and :4shulk:(Smash) at Ganon in 0%

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually when you perfect shield anything your shield doesn't break, so perfect shielding ganon's utilt would work.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Trela took 1st in singles and 2nd in doubles in a tournament last night with Ryu. Vids should be uploaded soon

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I honestly don't know how future patch notes will affect Ryu. What is there to change about him?

except a shoryuken nerf which really shouldnt be a thing

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
maybe changes on utilt since its a semi infinite on some characters.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
After getting my 3DS back from Nintendo (repairs) and playing extensively with Ryu, wow. I'm doing so well with him in an online setting, winning around 70% of my matches (around 500 matches played in a few days). I have a few things to add to the guide.

Just haven't been posting much because work + playing Smash

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I took a hiatus to play Arkham Knight. Now that I've beaten it I should be back to playing and labbing as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I labbed Ryu for a bit last night when I should have been labbing D3.

Oh dear.

Smooth Criminal
Ryu just has to be the most fun character to lab because even if you're just playing with computers, you still get valuable
practice performing inputs and whatnot.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why can't there be a SF V for the Wii U? That Ken looks too good.

Top Bottom