• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I really grown to like Ken's redesign. It fits although it looks a little too similar to Ryo from KOF.

He looks better than Fat Birdie

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Ken looks so darn hype. I just love how he's more focused around the kicks and emphasises more on the flames. Dat fabulous gold hair though.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw ken i was kind of dissapointed with the way he looked. But after seeing the trailer and looking past that I think hes hype. Completely stylish character, strong vskill and vtrigger (make your moves safe by activating). Depending how the rest of the roster looks i may main him

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Music samples for SFV. Ryu's theme sounds like a Dynasty Warriors track or something. Charlie's theme sounds sick!

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I like Charlie's theme the most of those, and I never liked it before.
Not a fan of Ken's Play-Doh hair. He's also starting to look pretty King of Fighters. Not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you think of that, but just an observation.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
He's also starting to look pretty King of Fighters. Not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you think of that, but just an observation.
My dad compared him to Tekken 4 Paul Phoenix. I can definitely see the resemblance there.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I was gonna main Nash, but Ken has a better rushdown game and a way better AA game.

Also this dude makes Ryu look like garbage.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I was gonna main Nash, but Ken has a better rushdown game and a way better AA game.

Also this dude makes Ryu look like garbage.
I'm probably don't know who to play but I'll go with Chun-Li since she's my main in USF4. I did main Charlie in SFA so ill play him there as well

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Ken looks alot better than ryu. But idk how effective ryus vskill will be in the end. Anyone preorder sf5 and is ready for the beta coming soon?
And what character you guys think is gonna be revealed at evo? I think ono was making it TOO obvious it was gonna be blanka

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ryu lookin real low tier right now, not gonna lie.
We're talking SFV Ryu, right? Because Sm4sh Ryu is pretty solid.

If we're talking SFV, I agree, and it's me and Ken all the way (again.)

Music samples for SFV. Ryu's theme sounds like a Dynasty Warriors track or something. Charlie's theme sounds sick!
YES!! Ken's theme is actually hype this time!!!!!

(The SF4 version was lukewarm at best, for such a great base theme.)

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
\And what character you guys think is gonna be revealed at evo? I think ono was making it TOO obvious it was gonna be blanka
Honda. There is zero doubt in my mind that they're gonna show Honda there. After that, the character they reveal next is going to be between Blanka and Sean. They'll probably put in both anyway. lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ryu lookin real low tier right now, not gonna lie.
Would it be fair to say whether Ryu or Ken come out on top in a Street Fighter game depends on how offensive/defensive
the mechanics make it out be? (Ie Ken's kit works better when aggression is favoured whereas Ryu gets more out of being defensive).

Although Ken pretty much doesn't look like he'll play like Ryu in the slightest anymore.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryus normals and overall game are fine. Better frame data on hadouken would be great. Its mianly his vskill. Its just kinda there. Cant parry cancel into a punish. Cant parry jump in then DP. Or parry a normal then punish with super.

Its dumb

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Do you think Ryu is a tournament character?
Yup

Case in point, just won a local yesterday. I wanted to test my skill and see how I would fare without the greater gods of NJ. There were some matches that I had to clutch it out, however I was pretty dominant in grand finals. I will post up vids once they are uploaded. I'm excited because even though I won, I know I made alot of mistakes and I'm nowhere near Ryus full potential. His ceiling is so high its mind boggling.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Grats man. Definitely looking forward to your videos.

I'm excited to see more tournament Ryus. I found a few matches where 9B was rocking Ryu earlier today, he's pretty good with him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Grand Finals was vs a jiggz too. When Ryu was first dropped one of my buddies who is a solid sheik said he thinks Jiggz mauls Ryu and he challenged me to beat that very same jiggz player in tournament.

Felt so good to prove him wrong and show Ryu is not easy to contain or get off the stage

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Doubt it. May not have to get a new physical disc but they already confirmed dlc.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...that you don't have to actually pay for if you don't want to. Characters and cosmetic stuff can all be earned using in-game currency. Expansions and updates are also completely free.

Source: The SF5/Capcom panel at EVO.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've a few questions about Street Fighter - I've got Super Street Fighter IV Arcade on my PS3, is it worth upgrading to Ultra Street Fighter IV? What makes it different to SSIF Arcade aside from the new characters?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch a lot from EVO. Any Ryu Matches someone can link me, plz?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch a lot from EVO. Any Ryu Matches someone can link me, plz?
Ryu was banned from EVO. Same with :4lucas:&:4feroy:. Due to how early they came out.

They'll be legal after it though and most future tournaments and gonna have them around especially since those 3 are pretty good

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I've a few questions about Street Fighter - I've got Super Street Fighter IV Arcade on my PS3, is it worth upgrading to Ultra Street Fighter IV? What makes it different to SSIF Arcade aside from the new characters?
Different balancing, Red Focus Attack, new stages.. But mainly because nobody plays old versions of SFIV.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Won a local in South Jersey today. Will post up my matches soon as they are available on twitch/youtube.

@ HoodedAltair HoodedAltair was there and it was great to meet you bro. @ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY was there as well. I got revenge for your loss to that solid Ike player bruh.

Thus far I can say with confidence Hooded has the best mobility out of all Ryu's I have seen including myself. His combo game is top notch too. But mastering true shoryu is a MUST. I was killing people at 80% consistently while you were killing them at 120%. Thats a huge difference and the mental damage your opponent undergoes when they see themselves die at a low percent cannot be underestimated. In grand finals vs Biddy everytime I nailed a shoryu kill, I could see in his eyes that it was messing with his head. The knowledge that the slightest mistake would end in death unnerved him alot.

Honestly if you just work on that and your precision with your button presses and your reaction time, you will definitely see vast improvement.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Won a local in South Jersey today. Will post up my matches soon as they are available on twitch/youtube.

@ HoodedAltair HoodedAltair was there and it was great to meet you bro. @ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY was there as well. I got revenge for your loss to that solid Ike player bruh.

Thus far I can say with confidence Hooded has the best mobility out of all Ryu's I have seen including myself. His combo game is top notch too. But mastering true shoryu is a MUST. I was killing people at 80% consistently while you were killing them at 120%. Thats a huge difference and the mental damage your opponent undergoes when they see themselves die at a low percent cannot be underestimated. In grand finals vs Biddy everytime I nailed a shoryu kill, I could see in his eyes that it was messing with his head. The knowledge that the slightest mistake would end in death unnerved him alot.

Honestly if you just work on that and your precision with your button presses and your reaction time, you will definitely see vast improvement.
Yeah it was definitely cool meeting you. Hopefully I hav3 a chance to run it back vs you. Good job on taking the tournament man.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Anyone think Kyle Herbert did better voicing Ryu in Smash than he did is Street Fighter?

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679

Well said I was telling myself the same thing after the tournament. You're shoryuken game is no doubt the best and it's obviously what you've practiced a good amount while I haven't touched it so much since release...but did a training session for it last night and will continue.

Your stage control is also extremely strong and I recommend people learn from that as well.

Congrats on your win man! Keep it up!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have an unfair advantage compared to the majority of smash players. Years of competitive SF under my belt made the motions second nature to me. I was going to tell you that you may wish to invest in a gamecube controller/gamecube adapter. The notches on the analog pad act as guides for your special moves. Makes pulling them off consistently much much easier.

You inspired me to work much harder on my movement. I also picked up nair usage from you and dair combos. I dont like taking huge risks with dair but with reward like that, meh its worth it. But that nair came in handy my friend. SH Nair hit confirm into true shoryu got me several kills in losers finals and grand finals.

Little by little we are evolving this character.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Gratz man. I wish I could also participate in tourneys with Ryu, but I'm still struggling with that decision sadly. I have a national coming in October and currently I'm I'm a crux on whether I go all Link as usual or if I mix with Ryu. Problem is that I still need more practice and MU practice my Ryu game still doesn't feel as solid as my Link game.

Top Bottom