• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
where is that chart where it shows Ryu's history with Nintendo, was it here?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
where is that chart where it shows Ryu's history with Nintendo, was it here?
I don't think there is a chart, but there's alot of games he's been in, only counting nintendo platforms.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
As someone who mained R. Mika back in SFA3, I canNOT wait for her comeback! A mobile grappler that was capable of the Jumping Normal --> Standing or Crouching Normal xx QCB+LK knockdown Special combo was one of my main reasons for maining her (or at least I THINK she was capable of that kind of legit combo, it's been quite a while since I've played SFA3, let alone as her). That, and A3 was practically the only game she's been playable in up to this point. Oh, and she had one of the better stages & stage themes amongst the cast there. At least Karin got to be in Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution, as forgotten of a title as that may be (for good reasons), which COULD help her make it into SF5, I hope. I also mained Karin in SFA3 as well, so it'd be nice for her to make a comeback as well.

It's been quite a long while since I've played A3, so perhaps later today I'll give it a whirl, and possibly remember which normals are cancellable into specials & supers and which aren't. I DO recall running either X-Ism or A-Ism R. Mika, last I played, so I'll probably run one of those two (I'm thinking X-Ism, IF the 1 Super she gets with X-Ism is one I'd actually want to use).

*Suddenly remembers that Cerebella from Skullgirls (who I also main there, along with Big Band and Beowulf and now Robo-Fortune, who's finally been officially released recently) has one of her outfits based on & referencing R. Mika* Hee~ :D Another title I should fire up later today on Steam. :3

mimgrim

Smash Hero
After my Hiatus of Smash 4 that I had I'm back.

Though this place seems even more dead then when I was active around these parts. Lmao.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
After my Hiatus of Smash 4 that I had I'm back.

Though this place seems even more dead then when I was active around these parts. Lmao.
It's just like how the Pit boards used to be like.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You guys know about the Ryu taunt where he says "talk is cheap".

Well is it just me or does he actually sound likes he is saying "talk is for sheep" instead?

Yes I'm just trying to induce some small discussion if possible.

This place is just sad right now.​

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You guys know about the Ryu taunt where he says "talk is cheap".

Well is it just me or does he actually sound likes he is saying "talk is for sheep" instead?

Yes I'm just trying to induce some small discussion if possible.

This place is just sad right now.​
I always hear "talking sheep" after playing it 10 times

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know if this was the best place to ask, but due to Ryu's appearance in Smash 4, I decided to get back into Street Fighter IV, and I'm having a problem with upgrading the game.

I have a physical copy of Super Street Fighter IV for the Xbox 360 (not Arcade Edition, if that makes a difference), and when I saw that you could upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV for $15 through the store, I figured why not? I was already considering Ultra Street Fighter IV, and this was cheaper than any place I was going to find it.

However, when the download finished, (and it definitely has finished; my hard drive has 2 less gigabytes than before, and Ultra Street Fighter IV is checked off on the store page) nothing seemed to have changed. The roster is still the exact same; none of the characters from Arcade Edition or Ultra were added. I've only got an Xbox Live Silver account, but that shouldn't mean anything, and the game is updated to Version 1.12, which is the latest version to my knowledge. Did I have to get Arcade Edition first, or was there something else that I did wrong?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You should try asking that on shoryuken.com

However idk what the issue is. I did the same thing. I had super and just kept upgrading as they updates came out. I had no issues.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Have you guys tried out footstool + rising lv1 FA?
Ryu gets this really cool floaty effect and stays airborne for days.

No competitive usage-area, but looks plain awesome.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Have you guys tried out footstool + rising lv1 FA?
Ryu gets this relly cool floaty effect and stays airborne for days.

No competitive usage-area, but looks plain awesome.
No. But I should try that sometime.

Has anyone tried some of the combos in this video in an actual match? I've tried practicing the one at 0:19. A lot of them look like true combos even though they're done in training mode.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Ryu is absolutely fascinating...I never had this feeling where, the more I played a character, the deeper he seemed to get.

It feels like I learn new stuff with him every day; new set-ups into true shoryu or his spike.

getting a feel for the way he controls is also something that absolutely motivates me to keep going. Smash's relatively simple control scheme gains so much more finesse with timed button presses and actual inputs. It's nuts! Especially for a guy who rarely played SF before.

I argue that Ryu is the best thing that happened to Smash 4 so far. That's saying a lot, but I feel like his control scheme really expands the franchise and maybe may become a staple of smah5. who knows?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ryu is absolutely fascinating...I never had this feeling where, the more I played a character, the deeper he seemed to get.

It feels like I learn new stuff with him every day; new set-ups into true shoryu or his spike.

getting a feel for the way he controls is also something that absolutely motivates me to keep going. Smash's relatively simple control scheme gains so much more finesse with timed button presses and actual inputs. It's nuts! Especially for a guy who rarely played SF before.

I argue that Ryu is the best thing that happened to Smash 4 so far. That's saying a lot, but I feel like his control scheme really expands the franchise and maybe may become a staple of smah5. who knows?
Ehhh not with Sakurai's design philosophy. Smash is made more for the parties and living rooms. Ryu was pretty much a bone thrown for the competitive fighting game players.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ehhh not with Sakurai's design philosophy. Smash is made more for the parties and living rooms. Ryu was pretty much a bone thrown for the competitive fighting game players.
Still the best bone in the game

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I can finally consistently do Shakunetsu Hadoken with Ryu on my 3DS. xD

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can finally consistently do Shakunetsu Hadoken with Ryu on my 3DS. xD
Yay, the move's input in general is kinda hard to do(might accidently do a Hadouken or Shoryuken)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've finally figured out how to do all the SF inputs and FA Cancel!
Congrats, FA cancelling and Fireball Hadouken(just to keep it simple) for some reason are the best ones to master(True Shoryuken is also awesome, but not as complex and annoying to master).

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Congrats, FA cancelling and Fireball Hadouken(just to keep it simple) for some reason are the best ones to master(True Shoryuken is also awesome, but not as complex and annoying to master).
I can do the FX Hadouken easily, but the True Shoryuken still needs to be input faster. I gotta practice Light D-tilt/U-Tilt to Shoryuken, both seem like the go-to kill moves for Ryus.

Does the amount of height from the Shoryuken jump have any effect on the knockback? I think it does, but I wanna know how much.. The short Shoryu seems much more useful for continuing combos.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can do the FX Hadouken easily, but the True Shoryuken still needs to be input faster. I gotta practice Light D-tilt/U-Tilt to Shoryuken, both seem like the go-to kill moves for Ryus.

Does the amount of height from the Shoryuken jump have any effect on the knockback? I think it does, but I wanna know how much.. The short Shoryu seems much more useful for continuing combos.
I've never thought of that, bet True Shoryu does it to. Light Punch/Light U-Tilt to True Shoryu is the best thing to be seen from Ryu in a tournament(the only move people expect, and still get hit by ut)

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I've never thought of that, bet True Shoryu does it to. Light Punch/Light U-Tilt to True Shoryu is the best thing to be seen from Ryu in a tournament(the only move people expect, and still get hit by ut)
That reminds me, I have to practice doing that thing where you can inch forward a bit with every light U-tilt.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That reminds me, I have to practice doing that thing where you can inch forward a bit with every light U-tilt.
I forgot about that trick, but seems like it'll take a while to atleast do(even longer to master)

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

There's a shortcut for True Shoryuken. Down-right, down-right, a or b. It's the opposite for when you're facing left.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd

Yes, how long you hold the attack button for the True Shoryu affects knockback. How close you are to the other player is more significant though. If you hit someone with Shoryuken at the apex of the shoryuken it will have much less knockback than if you did it while next to the opponent. Short true shoryu definitely has its uses for quick damage buildup, and it allows you to take greater advantage of the nullified landing lag that true shoryu gives you. A nice shortcut for doing the shortest true shoryuken is to do your preferred input and hit the grab button rather than attack. Works for hadouken and tatsu as well.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
What if Ken ever got in as a clone or Ryu? Also am I the only person that wanted Ken as an alt outfit for Ryu?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What if Ken ever got in as a clone or Ryu? Also am I the only person that wanted Ken as an alt outfit for Ryu?
Alot of people did, I just want to make him my punching bad in Street Fighter V due to his banana hair

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I was pretty saddened by the lack of a Ken alt. Wouldnt have been too hard to do. *sigh
Well none of the other 3rd party charactershave alts, so it's pretty fair.

Top Bottom