• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I love the paradox that Ryu will probably be banned at EVO because players there won't be "familiar" enough with him? When EVO players need months of notice about a character that they've spent years playing pretty much exactly the same on Street Fighter, we have a problem.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I'm playing Ryu right now. He feels so great to play. Currently messing around in the lab with him. He does require lots of execution as mentioned.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But the players who will fight against those that would use Ryu will be the ones at a disadvantage, and we don't know if there will be an infinite or 0>death discovered while playing tourney matches, or if someone would discover something gamebreaking like that on the side and keep it secret until EVO and win, etc.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
We should get a Nintendo vs. Capcom Wii U Exclusive for Ryu getting in. I was hoping that would have been included in the Smash Brothers Direct, but it may come at E3.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We should get a Nintendo vs. Capcom Wii U Exclusive for Ryu getting in. I was hoping that would have been included in the Smash Brothers Direct, but it may come at E3.
Oooh!!! Wouldn't it be awesome if Nintendo announced Nintendo Vs. Capcom at E3? A guy can dream... :awesome:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Damnit I was just hooked on splatoon and now Ryu loojks so awesome! I must main him w/Sonic. Nice complementary team of advanced charcters. IMO.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Now this is someone i like! ^^ Ryu feels great, and hopefully when i get the hang of him, i'll be able to main him alongside Falcon :p Couldn't believe it when he was released today!

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile since I've had so much fun in Smash 4. Ryu is just amazing.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Getting used to Ryu takes a little bit. I need a Smashified arcade stick. But he's definitely my favorite of the newcomers, and one of my favorites overall. I'm having fun getting used to the cancels into specials.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did see a few matches involving Ryu while viewing some online replays today, but considering how heavily advanced his moveset is, I'm pretty reluctant about getting him myself. So far, I've only gotten Mewtwo, all thanks to the Club Nintendo offer.

taylor roth

Smash Rookie
Hey I dont know if anyone noticed this but his up tilt is like Mario's and keeps the enemy in place on low percents. And by the way im new here lol. My mains are sonic and kirby. And im learning pikachu at the moment.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Y'know, as well as Ryu transitioned from Street Fighter to Smash, I still feel like he struggles with things
foreign to his series, like platforms and being ganged up on in FFAs.

Still could you guys believe it when you saw the SFII sound effects even extended to blocking? And that perfect shield
sound effect is just too sexy. Is it from Third Strike?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does Ryu have good air game?
It's okay. Fair and bair have good range and are powerful, nair is a good combo breaker. Uair can get off-the top kills
but has tiny range, and dair is weird since it doesn't really hit below Ryu but it spikes powerfully at a diagonal angle.

His biggest problem in the air is that he is terrible at changing directions (because you couldn't at all in Street Fighter, you see)
and the fact that his reward (combo potential) up there just isn't as good as it is on the ground.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
IK,R? Looks more like Melee Mario crossed with Ganon to me.

Also, it it just me who's really bothered by the asymmetry of Suzaku Castle and the resulting inability to see said castle in its entirety?
To be honest though, I found myself playing a similar style of defense/offense as lil Mac. He is definitely his own character (and, so far, far better).

On another note I tried hard not to like him but it was no use.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Alright, I already know for sure I won't be able to try out any of the stuff from the new DLC, so I just want to know how you guys think Ryu is since I am planning on having him as my secondary.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Alright, I already know for sure I won't be able to try out any of the stuff from the new DLC, so I just want to know how you guys think Ryu is since I am planning on having him as my secondary.
definitely takes from practice. I don't play online ever but when I was testing things with a friend I had a really hard time getting the input specials to work properly (I would often end up doing a focus attack) And I played LOOOTS of UMvC3 back in the day on controller so it's not like it feels weird. Just have to be more deliberate. Other than that it's about just having the "grace" to do the various different types of tilts and consistently convert on landing a tilt into a kill move

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I played a 1 on 1 ryu match with my brother, and I gotta say, he feels so smooth. We both were throwing punches evading them like crazy. I actually felt like I was good. But if I went online and played I'd probably get my ass handed to me. I can't wait for someone to make a guide for him, I would love to get better at using him.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Oh god I'm so happy Ryu came out. So far Roy has been clicking the most, but I cared about him Least of the three. I guess countless hours of melee Marth helped there.
I can't wait until I figure Ryu out

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Ryu...
He is really great.
If you think his complexity is intimidating, it is easier to get a hang of then it looks. Do yourself a favor and get Ryu if you can.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Ryu...
He is really great.
If you think his complexity is intimidating, it is easier to get a hang of then it looks. Do yourself a favor and get Ryu if you can.
I agree. He will take lab time but he's still a pretty manageable character. Far easier than trying to play someone like Lucario or even Link (well...trying to actually WIN with link that is)

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
I downloaded the 3ds and wii u character bundle. I went ahead and downloaded Ryu on the wii u but accidently went ahead with downloading him without looking at the 3ds code. Is there anyway I can view the 3ds code?

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
I love the paradox that Ryu will probably be banned at EVO because players there won't be "familiar" enough with him? When EVO players need months of notice about a character that they've spent years playing pretty much exactly the same on Street Fighter, we have a problem.
supposedly the reason is actually licensing issues?

also you can negative edge with ryu l o l
2 (hold a/b) 36 (release) for c.mk > 236p (dtilt > hadouken)

Last edited:
Top Bottom