• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Pure White or Classic, that's my jam.

Shoutouts to the late American Dream, @ SevenYearItch SevenYearItch . Wrestling may have died for me in recent years, but the old school will live on in my heart 'til I expire.

Smooth Criminal

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Pure White or Classic, that's my jam.

Shoutouts to the late American Dream, @ SevenYearItch SevenYearItch . Wrestling may have died for me in recent years, but the old school will live on in my heart 'til I expire.

Smooth Criminal
Was certainly hard times that day for me. One of my all time favs, blasted his tune at work in honor!

Any of you folks still on 3DS like me? Or Am I the only chump? haha

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because I can, I'm gonna try to determine what each of Ryu's Smash moves correspond to in Street Fighter.

Light jab: Standing light punch, transitions into standing hard punch.
Heavy jab: Standing light kick.

Light ftilt: Standing medium kick.
Heavy ftilt: Collarbone breaker.
Fsmash: Jodan Sokugoteri

Light utilt: Close standing light punch.
Heavy utilt: Close standing medium punch.
Usmash: Crouching hard punch.

Light dtilt: Crouching light kick.
Heavy dtilt: Crouching medium kick.
Dsmash: Crouching heavy kick.

Uthrow: Close standing heavy kick.
Dthrow: Looks like Akuma's backwards throw from SFIV.

Nair: Jumping light kick.
Fair: Jumping heavy kick.
Bair: Jumping medium kick.
Uair: Jumping light punch.
Dair: Jumping hard punch.

D

Deleted member

Maaaaaan they continue to use the placeholder Guidance for the new DLCs, including RYU. I reallllllly wanted to see what they couldve came up for RYU... The dang icon of fighting itself. But instead, :4palutena: I HAS NO DATA ON THIS FIGHTER D:. Almost like a very stupid and annoying Windows error message you don't want to see ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Can't wait to download Ryu. I see some people having some frustration when trying to input Ryu's weak to strong
attacks. lol, have any of you guys ever played Street Fighter before? Ryu isn't your "traditional" smash fighter.

:pow:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Can't wait to download Ryu. I see some people having some frustration when trying to input Ryu's weak to strong
attacks. lol, have any of you guys ever played Street Fighter before? Ryu isn't your "traditional" smash fighter.

Don't mock others about it. In traditional fighting games, we have 6 basic buttons to choose, while in smash we are limited to 2, one of them being basically useless to how the character was intended to fight.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an

Picked up USF4 a few months ago, and I played loads of Ryu to learn the game. I like Akuma more, but Ryu's great too.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Yoooooooooo! Ryu main since SF2 and will happily main him in this game! .....Once I purchase him.
I've got all of his commands and combos down in SF4 3ds version, so I think I'll have a little bit of an easier time learning him (though activating his light/medium/strong attacks might be a bit difficult). From what I've seen, he has the steepest learning curve in the game (even steeper than Rosalina's and Lmac's combined) since he is VERY technical in a Sm4sh environment. It'll be fun watching all the non-street fighter players squirm and break their fingers in confusion as they try to throw the Shakunetsu Hadouken or do the Shoryuken input.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I forget where and who asked but yes, Kirby can launch Shakunetsu Hadouken.

It's here to show for anyone else who didn't know either, whether it's because they haven't tried it yet or don't have the DLC yet.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

It's here to show for anyone else who didn't know either, whether it's because they haven't tried it yet or don't have the DLC yet.
Well, looks like this is gonna be one MU where the Copy ability is actually useful.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I got USF4 a couple of months ago to try and get into the game. Haven't gotten a chance to play it with anyone yet, which is fine since I'm still going through motions and getting those damned frame 1 links down. Though I haven't played much of Ryu in it (I'm not the type who likes to learn on what is considered the base character unless I actually like the base character more then other fighters). Granted I haven't really settled on a character yet (The ones I seem to be drawn towards the most are Sagat, Poison, Evil Ryu, Juri, and Akuma) but I'm really just trying to get the motions down super consistently along with the frame one link stuff.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Yeah, I'm not a huge SF person but I LOVE marvel vs capcom. I don't mind sf and I definitely have fun playing it I just never went crazy with it. However I love Ken the most in every SF game I've played so this has been fairly simple for me. Though kinda drives me nuts that a cold input shoryuken ends up having a small dash before it comes out but it could be useful for that reason too

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I got USF4 a couple of months ago to try and get into the game. Haven't gotten a chance to play it with anyone yet, which is fine since I'm still going through motions and getting those damned frame 1 links down. Though I haven't played much of Ryu in it (I'm not the type who likes to learn on what is considered the base character unless I actually like the base character more then other fighters). Granted I haven't really settled on a character yet (The ones I seem to be drawn towards the most are Sagat, Poison, Evil Ryu, Juri, and Akuma) but I'm really just trying to get the motions down super consistently along with the frame one link stuff.
Have you managed to get through all of Ryu's trials? If you can do that, then you'll have a really good grasp on him.

I have all the trials cleared on the 3ds version. Juri was the last character I needed. She's hard because for the last trial you can't really use the touch screen. I had to literally master the crab form in order to hold down her fireball commands and do the long combo.
If anyone's interested, I have a video of me doing all of Juri's trials w/o the touch screen (in bad quality, though:()- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oED8jEUBea8

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
There isn't a topic like this afaik but we should make a topic that goes through Ryu fundamentals we need to be learning NOW rather than later.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Imma be getting off soon but if there isn't a topic like that when I come back on (which likely be around midnight, or just plain to the next day) I guess I could make it. :L

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
At some point in the future, we should make a guide on Ryu. He's a pretty complex for a Sm4sh character, and adjusting to his play style won't be easy. Many people here will probably want to look for an in-depth guide on him. Plus, I the guide would be a really interesting one considering he has stuff from SF2, SF3, and SF4.
Just thought I'd put that out there.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm way too hard on myself when trying to learn Ryu.
Guess his Learning curve is pretty darn high.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give out some safe approach options
The only one I have currently is jump Light Shakunetsu glide forward. If you space it right you can combo off of it if they shield you can grab for free.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I never thought the times i played Street Fighter II on the Game Boy )while having no ****ing clue about the controls because i got it from a friend without handbook) and figuring out how to do the "cool fireball and spinning thing" (I was really young then, don't judge me!) would come in handy so much later... Felt directly at home with the Shoryuken,Hadouken and Hurricane Kick inputs X)

The only one I have currently is jump Light Shakunetsu glide forward. If you space it right you can combo off of it if they shield you can grab for free.
I had the same question, and I got told to try walking+powershielding. I don't like approaching with Hurricane Kick because I feel like every goddamn move in the game beats it (funnily enough, it beats Wizard Kick...).

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Shakunetsu is the Red fireball. I'm pretty sure tatsu is unsafe on everything lmao. I think its only meant for combos/recovery.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I had the same question, and I got told to try walking+powershielding. I don't like approaching with Hurricane Kick because I feel like every goddamn move in the game beats it (funnily enough, it beats Wizard Kick...).
I experienced that first-hand. I went against someone who didn't have too much of a grasp on Ryu and tried to Wiz Kick while he was knocked off the stage. I remembered uttering a "W-W-WHA?" the moment it happened.
That's one point for Ryu in the Ganon MU.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate

HAHAHAHA, kirby mains have to learn tek skill now!

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Good to see other people in this thread have Street Fighter experience

My game of choice was Street Fighter 4. I played Dee Jay and Zangief in that game but I had a pocket Ryu. I also loved Street Fighter 3 Third Strike where Alex was my main. Aside from that, I have Alpha 3 and HD Remix on my PS3 hard drive though I don't play those as much. Ever since I got rid of my arcade stick (huge mistake, need to get a new one) I've been playing nothing but Smash on my 3DS.

I won't have my 3DS for two weeks since I just sent it to Nintendo to be repaired :sadsheep:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
****, I've been playing SF since the dawn of time (around CE). 3S is probably my favorite game in the series overall, but I've at least dabbled in nearly all of the others. I feel kinda dirty since I never mained Ryu in any of them (I did play him on the side in nearly every game he was available), but hey. Gouki was plenty fine (whenever he was legal or playable)! But, I don’t feel bad transitioning him to main status in this game. Ryu is a love letter to my favorite genre ever, on top of fitting my playstyle perfectly in one of my favorite games associated with said genre.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Poking with Dtilt2 is nice.
Crossover SH Nair as well.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Sometimes, I will try to combo Ryu's dtilt into Tatsumaki, but I do a turn around hadoken instead. This is when I put the SF inputs in, not just pressing side B. Any ideas why?

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Has anyone tried to recreate the VF and Heihachi miis? I can't seem to get it right. I really want the perfect Jacky too.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Sometimes, I will try to combo Ryu's dtilt into Tatsumaki, but I do a turn around hadoken instead. This is when I put the SF inputs in, not just pressing side B. Any ideas why?
Do you use :GCA: or :GCB: ? It shouldn't happen with :GCA:, except maybe if you "overshoot" and turn around before doing the circle motion.

EDIT : Alternatively use Grab as the finishing button, that works too.

Last edited:

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
try negative edging dtilt. it's super easy and pretty much impossible to **** up once you get down

input down, hold a/b, then input the rest of the quarter circle, then release
out of dtilt that lets you tatsu or hadouken very easily even on 3ds pad

-should note this (obviously) means you're comboing from strong dtilt / c.mk instead of c.lk

Last edited:
Top Bottom