• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm way too hard on myself when trying to learn Ryu.
Guess his Learning curve is pretty darn high.
Yeah I too feel like Ryu is a heavily advanced fighter with his moveset having a large number of complex button commands. Basically, I just don't see myself purchasing Ryu any time soon.

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Yeah I too feel like Ryu is a heavily advanced fighter with his moveset having a large number of complex button commands. Basically, I just don't see myself purchasing Ryu any time soon.
It's true, Ryu requires a lot of tek skill to be played ideally, but he can be played quite well as one would play any other characters. His tilts has the same number of directions as captain falcon, and imho the short/long tap differential is already pretty instinctual. That is to say, I already hold the a button based on the attack I want with falcon, as it's the difference between getting locked in his jab animation or not. It's the same for Ryu, except his attack strength varies as well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's true, Ryu requires a lot of tek skill to be played ideally, but he can be played quite well as one would play any other characters. His tilts has the same number of directions as captain falcon, and imho the short/long tap differential is already pretty instinctual. That is to say, I already hold the a button based on the attack I want with falcon, as it's the difference between getting locked in his jab animation or not. It's the same for Ryu, except his attack strength varies as well.
Regardless, Ryu really doesn't interest me much. I am undecided about Roy and Lucas though. So far, I only have Mewtwo, but I'm hoping that Wolf O'Donnell makes the cut as a DLC character.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Do you use :GCA: or :GCB: ? It shouldn't happen with :GCA:, except maybe if you "overshoot" and turn around before doing the circle motion.

EDIT : Alternatively use Grab as the finishing button, that works too.
Yeah, I use A since my thumb is already on the button. Though, I am doing what @Evoke suggested and it helps a lot.

Also, is there any reason to use quarter circle over half circle for Hadouken?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Yeah, I use A since my thumb is already on the button. Though, I am doing what @Evoke suggested and it helps a lot.

Also, is there any reason to use quarter circle over half circle for Hadouken?
Well, it's all up to preference really. In Street Fighter specifically, you mix up fireballs because different ones travel at different speeds. Do EX Hadouken and Red Hadouken travel at the same speed?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, it's all up to preference really. In Street Fighter specifically, you mix up fireballs because different ones travel at different speeds. Do EX Hadouken and Red Hadouken travel at the same speed?
Think they do, assuming you hold the button for the correct length of time. Shakunetsu seems to be the higher
risk higher reward fireball: it's easier to clank/override but the greater hitstun via multiple hits gives Ryu some good frame advantage.

I think I've just found a good reason to use the simple b commands: they're the only way to pivot or b-reverse.
You try to b-reverse with EX Hadoken and you'll get a Tatsumaki.

Also noticed something about Shin Shoryuken: if it doesn't KO you don't get the yellow flash at the end. Nice touch really.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm a little to this side of SmashBoards, but I thought I should say hello and introduce myself to you guys. I have a bit of a background with Street Fighter after playing the games with my cousins. With Ryu's inclusion in Smash, I plan to pick him up and try to learn as much as I can as a testament to the good-times with Street Fighter.

It all depends on what how long you hold the button, regardless of each version. If you tap the button, you'll get the slow hadoken that doesn't travel very far. If you hold down the button, you'll get a faster hadoken and it travels a lot farther.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Imma be getting off soon but if there isn't a topic like that when I come back on (which likely be around midnight, or just plain to the next day) I guess I could make it. :L
Ok well I'm back now and don't see a thread yet about it so I guess I'll give it a shot on creating a discussion topic about it. But before you do I wanna here some of yall's opinions on Ryu fundamental so as to get my thought organized for the OP.

I'm not looking for stuff like combos and what not (that is something of a different branch from fundamentals) but rather stuff like approaching the neutral, the punish game, technical requirements for inputs, and crap like that.

I already have some ideas on what I wanna write down for the OP to create discussion but would like to hear some extra things as well to see if there is anything I missed.

Ya can't play him like a traditional Smash character, that's for damn sure.

Smooth Criminal
I see this mostly in the sense of how his inputs work (the SF motions, tap vs hold, ect..) then anything else.

Can anyone give out some safe approach options
The only one I have currently is jump Light Shakunetsu glide forward. If you space it right you can combo off of it if they shield you can grab for free.
Fair is awesome. EX Fireball weak (tap) is good as well since you can follow behind it. Just somewhere to start you off. :p

****, I've been playing SF since the dawn of time (around CE). 3S is probably my favorite game in the series overall, but I've at least dabbled in nearly all of the others. I feel kinda dirty since I never mained Ryu in any of them (I did play him on the side in nearly every game he was available), but hey. Gouki was plenty fine (whenever he was legal or playable)! But, I don’t feel bad transitioning him to main status in this game. Ryu is a love letter to my favorite genre ever, on top of fitting my playstyle perfectly in one of my favorite games associated with said genre.

Smooth Criminal
I feel so sad for only getting into USF4 a couple of months ago and still not having gotten super serious into it yet. And I'll probably stop what I'm currently doing with USF4 (which is only training mode and getting down motions and frame links and the like) when 5 comes out because I no have PS4, that and I prefer the Xbox controller (I dislike arcade sticks, they don't feel comfortable to me). PS controller is ok but eh. I've always had a dislike with its sticks.

Goddammit why can't I figure out how to combo with Ryu character in Smash 4 still. ;-;

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Ryu is pretty damn hard to pick up and play. I played SF for years, and mained c viper (talk about inputs) and I wont let these first few days discourage me.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Tell em again. Best fighting game for me, all i read is 'never played SF' or 'i only played SF4' like hello where's the 3S 2I and NewGen players!!
You know, its weird seeing Ryu in this game, and seeing a good chunk of Smash fans oblivious to the SF series, lol.

I love all the SF games, but I'm best at USF4, because its "new", and I got on board from the start. I just started playing SF competitively a few years ago, and went with SF4 to keep up. I can't go backwards, cause I'd be coming in WAY too late. Just like with Melee.

I do love me some Super Turbo, though.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
You know, its weird seeing Ryu in this game, and seeing a good chunk of Smash fans oblivious to the SF series, lol.

I love all the SF games, but I'm best at USF4, because its "new", and I got on board from the start. I just started playing SF competitively a few years ago, and went with SF4 to keep up. I can't go backwards, cause I'd be coming in WAY too late. Just like with Melee.

I do love me some Super Turbo, though.
i also played USF4! (although I only broke 1000pp a few months ago lol I suck) and 3s is a game I've always wanted to play but never got around to it (anyone play it still on fightcade/GGPO? I don't have money to buy a ps3 lol)

Yeah it's weird seeing the smashers with no other fighting game bg try to explain the special commands for ryu too. Hopefully they adapt and start using QCF, QCB, HCF, and DP/SRK so that the writing is less cluttered and ppl realize how uncomplicated it is.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
i also played USF4! (although I only broke 1000pp a few months ago lol I suck) and 3s is a game I've always wanted to play but never got around to it (anyone play it still on fightcade/GGPO? I don't have money to buy a ps3 lol)

Yeah it's weird seeing the smashers with no other fighting game bg try to explain the special commands for ryu too. Hopefully they adapt and start using QCF, QCB, HCF, and DP/SRK so that the writing is less cluttered and ppl realize how uncomplicated it is.
My PP keeps fluctuating somewhere between 800-1300 :( But I have over 5000BP with some characters.

As far as I know, 3S is still alive and kicking on GGPO, but thats pretty much it. Everything else is dead, and even Fightcade is dead it seems.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
My PP keeps fluctuating somewhere between 800-1300 :( But I have over 5000BP with some characters.

As far as I know, 3S is still alive and kicking on GGPO, but thats pretty much it. Everything else is dead, and even Fightcade is dead it seems.
hmm the last time I tried to play 3s on ggpo I couldn't figure it out/configure my fightstick for it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
hmm the last time I tried to play 3s on ggpo I couldn't figure it out/configure my fightstick for it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime
What kind of fightstick do you have, and what Windows version? It takes some finessing, but it does work.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
SSFT2 best competitive Street Fighter.
SFA3 best casual Street Fighter.

SF3 parry is buttcheeks. Makes moment-to-moment reads important and the mix-up game interesting, but kills the importance of projectiles and stage control.

USF4 is a'ight.

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving the way Ryu plays. I love how he can break shields, is combo heavy, and has great KO power. Before he was revealed I actually suggested that he should have a move similar to his downB where it can used as a combo starter or used to help finish stocks. Ryu having all these different button inputs for his moves is a great reference to his games. He definitely feels like a SF character. Since he has a high learning curve, it's probably gonna take a while until I get the hang of using him, but I'm okay with that. ^^

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Ryu's fun af man. Also:
Jesus, Birdie really let himself go.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
3S is gahlike but I like Super Turbo a lot more (I play Guile and Rog but I have a Ryu in ST, everyone does, J.Mpx2 into SHINKUUU HADOUKEN)

Ryu is stupid fun in this game, and I even use the color I use for him in ST (Black Gi, Yellow Headband, best color). Char is super good and will always be viable IMO because his reward when he gets in is so crazy! Fair is also my religion with this character, I was worried about range/disjoint chars until that happened.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
3S is gahlike but I like Super Turbo a lot more (I play Guile and Rog but I have a Ryu in ST, everyone does, J.Mpx2 into SHINKUUU HADOUKEN)

Ryu is stupid fun in this game, and I even use the color I use for him in ST (Black Gi, Yellow Headband, best color). Char is super good and will always be viable IMO because his reward when he gets in is so crazy! Fair is also my religion with this character, I was worried about range/disjoint chars until that happened.

It's kind of ironic how safe fair is compared to Street Fighter where everybody first learns to do jumping heavy kicks
from him, which are usually hilariously easy to punish for anyone who has a good grasp of anti-airs.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Tell em again. Best fighting game for me, all i read is 'never played SF' or 'i only played SF4' like hello where's the 3S 2I and NewGen players!!
For me the first SF I played was arcade (then SNES when it came out) SFII (then turbo and super etc...) - and a bit of Alpha, but didnt touch them for years - it was only when I departed my other genre of games that I even looked at SF (and it was transitioning from 3 to 4 at the time).

Luckily for me, I've only ever "mained" Ryu and Ken in SF - so my SF muscle memory is basically ingrained to their 3 bread and butter moves.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

My jam when playing Ryu in smash

Alex better be in SF5 he needs to come back.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I like Street Fighter but there are other games I like more though. I absolutely love the new Killer Instinct for one. I like Blazblue, and I consider the Makoto from that game one of my most favorite characters of all time. I like those Persona fighting games and Xrd too. King of Fighters has really cool characters and is pretty fun. Just some games I like more than Street Fighter.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
Nope, Zangief. We need more bara in Smash
Honestly we need lord bison to join the fray.

And he will win every match and everyone will cry "BROKEN PLS NERF"
But for him...it was tuesday.

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Hello all. Back to frame counting for Smash 4 with the new characters (and everyone else due to potential balance changes), and I have put together Ryu's frame data. I think there's a few things I can add (namely with the Tatsu) but I filled it out as best I could at the moment. Note that for invincibility, I counted based on the character flashing, which I think is close to the actual invincibility time but it may not be exact.

Also note that for his light attacks, the frame data is for the earliest frame it happens. When you perform it in neutral, there's between 1-5 frames (possibly a couple more, hard to test exactly) of extra start-up time on them, since Ryu starts with the strong version of the move first, then goes into the light version when you release the button. Unless you chain the light, of course.

If I missed anything or you feel there's more I could add, let me know. :)

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
In all honesty a grapple type character in smash would be interesting. No necessarily Abel but I'd be interested how they would do it
Nope, Zangief. We need more bara in Smash

You guys are such party-poopers.

BTW, I think Ryu can fake-out a Hadouken, pretty much like he did in the past. When inputting the command, tap twice :GCA: or :GCB:. Like this, Ryu will just let a small dust out of his hands. Can someone lab it? It's a good course of action to play mind-games against spammers.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
DK=Zangief, Sheik=Chun-Li/Ibuki(?), ZSS=C. Viper, Bowser=T. Hawk, Little Mac=Dudley On mobile, so format might look wonky. These are a few characters from SF and Smash I think are comparable more/less. Could be wrong. Kinda want this to be a thing in social, but who knows.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
Yo anyone else notice it's impossible for Ryu to dashdance lol I guess the initial burst prevents quick turnarounds

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You guys are such party-poopers.

BTW, I think Ryu can fake-out a Hadouken, pretty much like he did in the past. When inputting the command, tap twice :GCA: or :GCB:. Like this, Ryu will just let a small dust out of his hands. Can someone lab it? It's a good course of action to play mind-games against spammers.
Isn't that what happens when you try to fire a hadoken when one is already on the screen?

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Isn't that what happens when you try to fire a hadoken when one is already on the screen?
It happens, but tapping twice fakes the Hadouken out instead of releasing it. (Subject to lab approval, everything you read here may or may not actually work.).

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Cammy fan service? Me want some! Crap, my mobile phone can't open the thumbnail in the post. Any1 care to link the vid in Artic's post to me?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Hopefully one day Ryu gets customs, and they're just Akuma's, Ken's, Dan/Gouken's move set. Would be pretty hype. Unfortunately customs are mostly off where I play at.

Top Bottom