• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The entire SF fighting scene in my state wants to get Smash 4 now just so they can main Ryu with pride.

Well done, Sakurai.

Gaminguy010

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gaminguy010
Personally I feel that having to input the commands from the original game makes Ryu overcomplicated and goes against the simplicity of Smash Bros. (and personally the whole input < v > X ^ ^ A < > ^ B for a special move is why I don't play any other fighting games.) but that's just my opinion.

On that note I'm more than willing to try to learn Ryu.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Ryu is looking to be technical and execution heavy which I love.

To someone who asked earlier, yes Mega Man has many set ups into Mega Upper.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Looking at Suzaku Castle - any thoughts on it as a competitive stage?

Regardless, I have no doubt in my mind that Ryu is set to be one of our most unique characters to ever join the Super Smash Bros roster!

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872

Regardless, I have no doubt in my mind that Ryu is set to be one of our most unique characters to ever join the Super Smash Bros roster!
With it's atypical platforms, some might argue one could circle camp on it?? We'll have to see when it's released.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hadouken!

Shoryuken!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku!

Shinku... HADOUKEN!!!

Shin.... SHORYUUUKEN!!

Talk is cheap!

Come on!

The only words that have been on my mind all day...

Xenoblade Hero

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1509-5006
I'm amazed that Ryu's going to be in Smash Bros, never saw it coming. May have to try and master him alongside Lucas, roll on the Nintendo Direct!

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Super pumped, came at just the right time. Really wanted another character to work on.

Really hope its not a long wait, though right now more than 5 minutes feels like long.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423

The right side is a walk off
Irony in hand, I would say to assume that the Street Fighter stage would be banned, of all stages. =P

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Just watch the first week of For Glory become vanilla SF4. Ryu only, omega Suzaku Castle, Hadoken and Shoryuken flow chart all day long.

In all seriousness, Ryu is pretty hype. This will be great.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'll be selfish and superficial hoping for this thing in Ryu's update (even though most of people think it's a completely pointless feature):

also, .. I'm so pumped to try Ryu in Smash Run! :p

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
I'll be selfish and superficial hoping for this thing in Ryu's update (even though most of people think it's a completely pointless feature):

also, .. I'm so pumped to try Ryu in Smash Run! :p
It's not happening as it wasn't released on the Wii U's Virtual Console similar to how Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 video game) wasn't released on the Wii U's virtual console. The Masterpieces are taken from games that are already available on the eShop, there would be no way to include Street Fighter II without a lot of unnecessary work.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
It's not happening as it wasn't released on the Wii U's Virtual Console similar to how Sonic the Hedgehog (1991 video game) wasn't released on the Wii U's virtual console. The Masterpieces are taken from games that are already available on the eShop, there would be no way to include Street Fighter II without a lot of unnecessary work.
I could've sworn it was on there.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I'm happy that he's coming into the game but I fear he's going to wreck the meta. Like he will over throw Sheik. Knowing now that he can attack dash cancel attack and kill from what I've seen super early and with the stronger inputs and weaker inputs his combos will wreck.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Street Fighter 2 (all SNES versions) are on the Virtual Console

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I'm over here looking at Ryu like

I don't want my shield broke and my life destroyed. I'm gonna be in someone's For Glory combo video TODAY!

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
I think you all have to consider that the input moves will require meter. Think about that for a second.

D

Deleted member

They probably would've touched on it in the Direct if that was true.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm happy that he's coming into the game but I fear he's going to wreck the meta. Like he will over throw Sheik. Knowing now that he can attack dash cancel attack and kill from what I've seen super early and with the stronger inputs and weaker inputs his combos will wreck.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. More complicated doesn't mean he's immediately better. And he can only dash cancel the focus attack, because that's a traditional feature in street fighter.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well im Glad Ryu has made it in! Congrats to everybody who wanted him to join! :4ryu:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. More complicated doesn't mean he's immediately better. And he can only dash cancel the focus attack, because that's a traditional feature in street fighter.
He can also cancel tilts (atm only dtilts are known to cancel) into specials if the tilts connect with the opponent/shield.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are some pics, hopefully we can get more, also is the e-shop still down?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am hyped for Roy (who knew?) and especially Ryu!

Ryu is a fantastic addition to the Smash roster. It is pretty cool how he has Street Fighter II controls... but he also has simple Smash controls.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I never was a street fighter fan. But I recognize the iconic series for it's history in video games.

Pretty awesome how far smash bros has come. Started as this low budget idea, given nintendo characters to help sell... and now this game is one of the best party games, has a very strong competitive scene, and now many 3rd parties are loaning it their IP.

It is great to see someone from this series, which has a noteable spot in video game history, come to our game.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Nintendo is such a great video game company. It's so innovative for them to give Ryu the ability to still do Street Fighter combos while maintaining the Smash scheme as well. No one else could pull that off as well as Nintendo.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
:4ryu: I didnt buy Mewtwo, Im not buying Lucas..

BUT BE SURE ILL BUY RYU AND EVERY FREAKING STAGE YOU RELEASE:4ryu:

:4ryu:NINTENDO, TAKE MY MONEY:4ryu:

Now, about his stage, I feel like it can be competitive, but Im conserned by The fact we will have 3 identical stages (battlefield, miiverse and dreamland)

Eureka

Smash Ace
:4ryu: I didnt buy Mewtwo, Im not buying Lucas..

BUT BE SURE ILL BUY RYU AND EVERY FREAKING STAGE YOU RELEASE:4ryu:

:4ryu:NINTENDO, TAKE MY MONEY:4ryu:

Now, about his stage, I feel like it can be competitive, but Im conserned by The fact we will have 3 identical stages (battlefield, miiverse and dreamland)
I don't think Suzaku castle has much competitive merit, what with the walk-off and all. Dream Land, while it has a similar platform arrangement, still has differences from battlefield, such as Wispy Woods. And Miiverse was designed to be the same as battlefield, that's probably why it's free, because it's just a reskin.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Has anyone bought him yet? The eshop is too busy for me to do anything.

Top Bottom