• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
My biggest concern with Ryu is will his Fair cross up?? Ha...

It'd be nice, at least. I also wonder if Tatsu will do wicked shield damage. Or if his Focus Attack will break shields on a full charge.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I think Ryu is a A or S tier character, weak tilts may give him some combo potential, maybe it's just me.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
My biggest concern with Ryu is will his Fair cross up?? Ha...

It'd be nice, at least. I also wonder if Tatsu will do wicked shield damage. Or if his Focus Attack will break shields on a full charge.
Oh please!.. This and/or the Donkey Kick! :p

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Just had a thought. What if they add Ken as an Assist Trophy?
Then he'd just shoryuken until he fell off the stage hahaha. Think Street Fighter 4 flowchart kens.

I'm so hype for Ryu. I was a Street Fighter player before I picked up Smash Brothers. This is a dream for me.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
With some of the SF Inputs in Smash, I have a chance to not suck at my ONline matches anymore; so happy! ;u;

Lunais

Smash Cadet
Ryu apparently has 3 forms of all of his special moves, if you input the original inputs then the specials are slightly stronger and can have different properties, also all of his tilts have another variation, there is weak version when you tap the attack button and the strong version when you hold it, that's what you see in the Classic mode video, he does a "weak" d-tilt into a "strong" d-tilt which can be cancelled into any special move even if shielded. Source is from here which has **** ton of info regarding Ryu and Roy https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/

D

Deleted member

The question I have is that if you input the directions for any of the special moves, would you still have to follow those with the input for the special move?

Like, if I were to input quarter-circle back to get the boosted Tatsumaki would the move automatically execute in the direction Ryu would be facing or would I have to follow that input by a S-B in the direction (or conversely the direction opposite if I wanted to go backwards) he's facing in order to get it?

I'm on the fence about it because I feel like you would have to (input a given Special's direction after the corresponding stick input), but I also feel like its possible that if you input the directional commands properly the moves will auto execute when you just use the Special regardless of the stick position after inputting the Street Fighter directions.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu apparently has 3 forms of all of his special moves, if you input the original inputs then the specials are slightly stronger and can have different properties, also all of his tilts have another variation, there is weak version when you tap the attack button and the strong version when you hold it, that's what you see in the Classic mode video, he does a "weak" d-tilt into a "strong" d-tilt which can be cancelled into any special move even if shielded. Source is from here which has **** ton of info regarding Ryu and Roy https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/e3-update-pre-patch-notes/
Oh my god.

ryu confirmed best character in the game

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So flipping excited.

Lunais

Smash Cadet
I really like that his Shoryuken has invincibility and the input version has no landing lag. Great reversal and answer to aerial approaches. His Focus Attack being reversible if opponent rolls and canceble by dashing out of it makes for great pressure. Of course causing it to crumple (while absorbing an attack, say any characters smash attack) and allowing a free hit is amazing.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Does anyone feel like Ryu is like the better Little Mac? Like in a good way?
Ryu has traditional inputs, a projectile, a moveset consisting of both kicks and punches, a side B+Up B recovery, and a down B that's not a traditional counter.
Mac has punches, super armor, a shoddy recovery, and a KO meter.
There's nothing similar between them.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
He seems really good on ground and in air. Looks super good on ground and he can recover.

That was stupid for me to say.

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I wonder if Kirby will be able to Red Fireball as well. There's not been a clip of Kirby saying "Shankunetsu" but I wonder.

D

Deleted member

So since you can cancel into specials out of strong Dtilt (if it connects with shield/opponent) would it be possible to say, shield poke with Strong Dtilt and then do a retreating Tatsumaki (read: backwards) to avoid any sort of punish after the shield?

Of course, considering this can be canceled into Specials Ryu could just throw out something else to try to predict and outprioritze the punish, but it's just a thought I had.

D

Deleted member

@ smokebomb12 smokebomb12 ,

Have a visual aid of sorts:

(From Street Fighter IV):

Metsu Shoryuken:

(Or better yet just look at the GIF above this post for what Shoryuken looks like in Smash)

Metsu Hadouken:

Ryu's Final Smashes kind of look like these ^.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Ryu looks very clean, his attacks look like they will feel good to connect with (which was a problem I had with Smash 4) and the SF2 sound effects are a nice touch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom