• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
As much as I like Isaac, this might actually win me over. The sheer idea that Ryu is gonna be smashing among Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-man just blows my mind.

Needless to say, we need to see if some of the old Street Fighter combos work.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Can anyone clarify one thing: was Ryu high on the character poll or something?

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder why he was chosen, like maybe there's something else going on between Nintendo and Capcom that we don't know about yet.

I mean, I would logically expect multiple NAMCO characters before Capcom characters, seeing as how Namco is working on the game...

I have no issue with Ryu's inclusion, just curious about the motivation behind it.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Can anyone clarify one thing: was Ryu high on the character poll or something?

The conspiracy theorist can't help but wonder why he was chosen, like maybe there's something else going on between Nintendo and Capcom that we don't know about yet.

I mean, I would logically expect multiple NAMCO characters before Capcom characters, seeing as how Namco is working on the game...

I have no issue with Ryu's inclusion, just curious about the motivation behind it.

Sakurai loves SF2, SF2 on the SNES sold big. Nintendo probably requested him since Capcom came first with :4megaman:.

Plus he's iconic

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Ryu is more iconic than anyone on the roster other than :4mario::4pacman:.

Capcom basically has 2 mascots anyway, Namco and Sega don't. Name one character from Namco other than PAC-MAN who's more well known than Ryu.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Sakurai loves SF2, SF2 on the SNES sold big. Nintendo probably requested him since Capcom came first with :4megaman:.

Plus he's iconic
Well, yeah, but "iconic" applies to many, MANY characters out there, and again, I expected we'd see a 2nd character from Namco before Capcom, or maybe a character from Konami (the Castlevania series is completely unrepped and it was likewise an iconic franchise on the SNES that's still alive and kicking to this day, remember, we're just one Simon Belmont away from completing the Captain-N trio ;) ).

So was Ryu high on the poll as well or is this totally out of the blue?

In other words, NO ONE else is thinking there might be a SF-related announcement of some kind at E3?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, yeah, but "iconic" applies to many, MANY characters out there, and again, I expected we'd see a 2nd character from Namco before Capcom, or maybe a character from Konami (the Castlevania series is completely unrepped and it was likewise an iconic franchise on the SNES that's still alive and kicking to this day, remember, we're just one Simon Belmont away from completing the Captain-N trio ;) ).

So was Ryu high on the poll as well or is this totally out of the blue?

In other words, NO ONE else is thinking there might be a SF-related announcement of some kind at E3?

He came before the poll so it was mostly a Capcom and Nintendo deal than a poll reason plus he would be a high choice but people mistakes Sakurai's words when said "He wouldn't focus on fighting game characters, but more on taking characters whose never been in a situation and make them a fighter" into LOL NO FIGHTING GAMES CHARACTERS SO SUCK IT.

Ryu would had been very high if no one mistaked Mash Potatoe Samurai's words

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I think this was a fair trade.

The new Street Fighter was coming to everything but Nintendo consoles. I was heart broken when I heard that news. "So Nintendo and Capcom are no longer friends?" is what I was thinking. But in the shadows, the put Ryu on SMASH! that's way better than a new Street Fighter! I believe this was a good trade. This is how snake worked his way into brawl too.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Huh. I was so sure we got Rayman'd again.

Well, I probably won't main him, but I can't pretend I'm not excited anyway.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This is so cool.

I think Ryu is the best newcomer in the series ever. Not only in the sense that he's iconic, but he's also something new that came from a extremely different fighting game. And I believe that people who don't play Smash but play other fighting games may give smash a chance due to this addition.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Move

Tip

Hadoken

A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken

Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken

Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken

Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken

When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack

Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack

By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack

Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack

You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack

Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack

Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Side Attack (Strong)

Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack

This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack

Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack

This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw

This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Move

Tip

Hadoken

A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken

Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken

Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken

Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken

When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack

Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack

By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack

Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack

You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack

Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack

Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack

This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack

Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack

This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw

This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.
Damn it! I thought it would be easy.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
There's something I don't quite understand from those inputs. How does the game tell the difference between an input hadouken and an input tatsumaki?

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
This is what I would expect from Nintendo, I like how they actually increase Ryu's power if you know how to play Street Fighter.
Still interested to see how combos using Ryu will turn out.

Anyone else notice in the leaked trailer how Ryu combo'd his crouching light kick, crouching medium kick, into Hurricane Kick?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is what I would expect from Nintendo, I like how they actually increase Ryu's power if you know how to play Street Fighter.
Still interested to see how combos using Ryu will turn out.

Anyone else notice in the leaked trailer how Ryu combo'd his crouching light kick, crouching medium kick, into Hurricane Kick?
It's something I'm surprised at from Sakurai, considering he made the Smash series specifically to rebel against those overly-convoluted button inputs.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's something I'm surprised at from Sakurai, considering he made the Smash series specifically to rebel against those overly-convoluted button inputs.
Yeah, but it's not the whole roster that has this gimmick, only the one character that has said gimmick in his own fighting games.

Think of it as a reference to the Street Fighter series. :smirk:

Last edited:
This thread already has a gravity falls reference. I have a feeling I will like it here. SS4U needs to go on a bonus sale soon so i understand what people are talking about.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Move

Tip

Hadoken

Hadoken

Hadoken

Hadoken

Shoryuken

Shoryuken

Shoryuken

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Focus Attack

Focus Attack

Focus Attack

Focus Attack

Focus Attack

Side Smash Attack

Up Air Attack

Front Air Attack

Down Air Attack

Upward Throw

So Ryu has two unique effects to him, crumpling and forced getups!

Top Bottom