• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, what I'm most hyped for is just shouting the names of his moves.

The games room is going to become a shouting contest of "HADOOOOUKEEEEN!" and "SETSUMETSUGAFLOOGAN!"

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
NOOOOO! I just thought of some thing terrible! For glory mode is full of little kids who like to spam right? and Ryu's hadouken is a projectile that shoots a lot, right?
For glory mode.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
NOOOOO! I just thought of some thing terrible! For glory mode is full of little kids who like to spam right? and Ryu's hadouken is a projectile that shoots a lot, right?
For glory mode.
It's not like his fireballs will be or ever have been OP or uncounterable. But I can't wait to punish jump ins with DP

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
For glory mode.
I doubt that'll actually work this time. You have so much space to move around in Smash. Plus there's dodging for anyone with a brain and/or over the age of 5.

D

Deleted member

Oh I imagine the spammy kids that think Hadouken is the shortcut to winning will get stomped nice and hard.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
For glory mode.
If hadoukens work the same way here as it does in SF4, Ryu can only have one on the screen at a time. If that is this case, he won't be able to spam it.

Also, literally every character in MvC3 was designed to be rediculously broken on purpose, so that version of Ryu probably won't have much of an effect on his design.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I was kinda sad that there's no Ken alt.

Then I figured out the origin of the alt colours in Street Fighter II.

I kek'd.

Based Samurai.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
It's a shame that there are only going to be two songs on Ryu's Stage (three versions of each, but still only two). Despite that, I just learned that both sound great together:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Question: Is :4ryu: here to be a family man?

A friend of mine wanted me to ask.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ryu's going to bring so much hype whenever he lands a Shoryuken kill. People get hyped about Mega Man's Mega Upper, but I don't know if Mega Man can set one up while Ryu? Ryu's going to cancel into his Shoryuken and be all... SHORYUKEN!

StormC

Smash Hero
Mario and Link vs. Mega Man and Ryu is going to be pretty god damn amazing.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I'm workin gon uploading the ~18 minute VOD to YouTube that first showcased Ryu's moves
In case anyone hasn't seen it or can't access Twitch -- https://youtu.be/j7-f501mbfQ

Things of note (Percentages don't account for staling outside of Training Mode):

Shinku Hadouken has a vacuum effect
Only one Hadouken on screen at a time
Normal Hadouken does 5%
Strong Hadouken does 6%
Shankunetsu Hadouken hits five times and does 8%
Tatsu appears to do different damage % depending on when the move hits. Seems stronger near the end. Beginning can hit opponents who miss a tech.
Weak Tatsu does 10%
Strong Tatsu does 12%
Beginning of Weak Tatsu does 8%
Level 3/Fully Charged Focus Attack does 17%
Jab Combo does 10%
Ledge Attack does 7%
Down Throw does 9%
Back Throw does 12%
Up Throw does 8%
F-Smash (Joudan Kick) does 16% uncharged, 22% charged
U-Smash (Crouch Fierce/Mexican DP) does 17% uncharged, 23% charged
D-Smash (Crouch Roundhouse) does 22% charged
Fair does 13% and quite a bit of knockback
Strong F-Tilt (Far Stand Roundhouse) does 10%
Weak F-Tilt (Far Standing Forward) does 6%
Strong D-Tilt (Crouching Forward) does 7%
Nair (Jumping Jab) does 12%
Normal Shoryuken does 15%
Strong Shoryuken does 18%, no landing lag

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Oh I imagine the spammy kids that think Hadouken is the shortcut to winning will get stomped nice and hard.

I wouldn't worry about it.
On that note, I want to see how Shakunetsu Hadoken works against projectiles. I mean it multihits, so maybe it flat out beats other projectiles while only taking a point of durability loss.

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
Could someone by chance tell me the best way to set up my controls for Ryu for SSF43D so I can learn the combos better and apply them easier to Smash?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How I imagine most for glory Ryu players will be like(made by your's truly):

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Could someone by chance tell me the best way to set up my controls for Ryu for SSF43D so I can learn the combos better and apply them easier to Smash?
Don't bother. Muscle memory will screw you over. Just know the cr.mk into hadouken and tatsu are going to be your big combos.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Grats on the conformation guys. Even though i'm much more hyped about Roy, Ryu in Smash is still really hype and is a great choice for 3rd party DLC.

I haven't watched any of the trailers because I don't want to get spoiled. Can anyone tell me if theirs a Ken alt for Ryu?

D

Deleted member

On that note, I want to see how Shakunetsu Hadoken works against projectiles. I mean it multihits, so maybe it flat out beats other projectiles while only taking a point of durability loss.
Some quick predictions for that (IMO):

[collapse=Predictions]
Beats:

:4link: - Uncharged arrow
:4tlink: - Uncharged arrow
:4robinm: - Thunder up to Elthunder
:4bowserjr: - Mechakoopa (destroys it, shall we say)
:4greninja: - Uncharged/low charge Water Shuriken.
:4ness::4lucas: - PK Fire
:4bowser: /:4charizard: - Fire Breath/Flamethrower.
:4samus: - Low Charge Shot.
:4pikachu: - Thunder Jolt.
:4pit: - Uncharged arrow
:4mewtwo: - Lower charge Shadow Ball
:4sheik: - Needles
:4falco: - Laser
:4fox: - Laser
:4dedede: - Gordo (this is a given though)
:4megaman: - Crash Bomb
:4mario::4drmario: - Fireball/Pill
:4luigi: - Fireball
:4diddy: - Peanut Popgun/Banana
:4zss: - Low/Uncharged Paralyzer
:rosalina: - Luma Shot (damages Luma and ends Luma Shot, save for Full Charge when Luma is invincible afaik)
:4wiifit: - Low charge Sun Salutation, Soccer Ball (Header)
:4lucario: - Low charge Aura Sphere

Beats/Clanks Borderline (unsure atm):
:4darkpit: - Uncharged Arrow
:4megaman: - Metal Blade (feel like it would beat Metal Blade though)
:4duckhunt: - Clay Pigeon (beats if Pigeon hasn't been shot, Clanks if it is being shot)
:4sheik: - Grenade (leaning towards Hadouken winning)

Clanks:
:4link: - Boomerang, Fully Charged Arrow.
:4tlink: - Boomerang, Fully Charged Arrow.
:4bowserjr: - Uncharged/Low Charge Cannonball.
:4palutena: - Autoreticle.
:4olimar: - Pikmin (kills Pikmin but they fully absorb it)
:4pacman: - All Fruits from the Orange up, loses to Key.
:4rob: - Gyro
:4mewtwo: - Middle charge Shadow Ball.
:4greninja: - Middle charge Water Shuriken.
:4samus: - Middle charge Charge Shot.
:4wiifit: - Middle charge Sun Salutation
:4lucario: - Middle charge Aura Sphere (depends on Aura)
:4zss: - Fully charged Paralyzer
:4robinm: - Arcthunder
:4pit::4darkpit: - Fully Charged Arrow

Clanks/Loses Borderline (unsure atm):
:4yoshi: - Egg Throw

Loses:

:4mewtwo::4samus::4lucario::4wiifit::4greninja::4bowserjr: - Fully charged N-B specials (higher levels of charge as well possibly)
:4link: - Bombs (tentatively, the multi-hit may cause a clank, same for Toon Link)
:4tlink: - Bombs
:4robinm: - Arcfire (Will stop Arcfire but Arcfire stays out on the field), Thoron.
:4duckhunt: - Trick Shot (Can)

N/A:
:4rob: - Laser; I'm pretty sure the laser just passes through most projectiles, at least when full, not sure though. (???)

Varies:
:4peach: - Turnip; unsure of the collision properties of Turnips overall although barring some anomalous behavior Stitchface and Dotface both win, lower levels mostly lose or clank.

[/collapse]
A lot of this is probably really optimistic (or maybe pessimistic depending on how you look at it), as well as completely arbitrary, but this is just what I was thinking off the top of my head and I fun with this little piece of "theorycrafting", for lack of a better term.

And yeah I probably missed some projectiles here and there but I was just going from the top of my head as I said, and I skipped :4miigun:because I don't know very much about their moveset, although I imagine their projectiles are similar to the rest of the cast and can be related as such since a lot of the Mii's sets take heavy inspiration from the rest of the cast for their moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu does a ****ton of damage and doesn't seem to have problems killing either. His biggest problem seems to be recovery but he DOES have an invincible DP that also has a hitbox and can kill.

I wonder if Tatsu goes through other projectiles.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Ryu is looking like a very technical character. I love characters like him, tons of potential I see with him

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu is looking like a very technical character. I love characters like him, tons of potential I see with him
The fact he requires execution already makes him the most complex character in the game

I heard they were claiming ryu videos on youtube, careful man.
Haha at worst they'll delete it or send me a message telling me to delete it. YouTube Partners get pretty lax treatment about this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik's grenade is designed to bounce off projectiles, and it makes it explode faster and do more damage. Hadouken probably isn't gonna beat it.

Neo Zero

Ryu does a ****ton of damage and doesn't seem to have problems killing either. His biggest problem seems to be recovery but he DOES have an invincible DP that also has a hitbox and can kill.

I wonder if Tatsu goes through other projectiles.
To be fair, it looks like if you jump and do the qcb Tatsu input, you do the roflcopter from Super Street Fighter IV

(can't find a video of it in a not modded game but it's basically this)

Either way I saw something that looked the exact same on one of the gameplay videos where he rose up diagonally like this doing the Tatsu.

EDIT: Here's what I mean in Smash Terms. If the embed timestamp doesn't work, just watch at 12:44, happens about there

Last edited:
Top Bottom