• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short notice [details inside] MADfest: 01-21-12 Melee All Day Video Game Event!

Eggm

Smash Hero
The OP says i have 5+ tv's but I only have 3 and stric 9 has one we can probably bring that jfox gave him so thats 4 i guess.

LLDL

Smash Hero
^ You don't always bring a cube when going to a tourney? That's rule #1 lol.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah. CopyCat is driving them.

Btw, CopyCat is looking for a good teammate. He's a good sheik.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
How about Dobbs? I don't know anyone else as good as CopyCat lol. I remember playing him. xD I tried my best against him.

Anyways, thank you. I edited them in. : D

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol oh, I thought you and DJ were each bringing one tv and one cube.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Is there internet at the venue btw? I like when results are posted right after the tourney so no file gets corrupted and anything like that. If not, I'll copy the results to my usb JUST in case. You never know what happens. I wish To's would do that for big tourneys.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think July said there was some wifi that could be used. Also that's a good idea. I'll bring my USB too.

And I like the idea because I'm the type of person to double save in an RPG or something lol.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Yeah. CopyCat is driving them.

Btw, CopyCat is looking for a good teammate. He's a good sheik.
Didn't know he was coming I'll team with Charles I haven't seen him since the summer. That is if he is up for it tell him I would go fox for teams :)

I asked him if he wanted to team for pound 5 so since he is going to this I'll def team with him if he wants to

LLDL

Smash Hero
I think July said there was some wifi that could be used. Also that's a good idea. I'll bring my USB too.

And I like the idea because I'm the type of person to double save in an RPG or something lol.
Hell yeah, I have like 40 saves on Final fantasy VII and 10 lol

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hell yeah, I have like 40 saves on Final fantasy VII and 10 lol
Lol I don't even know what saves I had... well I can check later. I still have the memory card lol. Also Chainace, what do you think of pools, from 1-10 pm? Do you think we can do that?

Like I would do bracket if we get less tv's then we need lol. Just fishing for opinions. : D

i wont be able to make it anymore

too bad, i was gonna get top 8 :/
Awww sorry to hear that bro. Hope to see ya next time. : D

Well both TVs are mine, but he's bringing his cube. Total we are bringing 2 full setups. Sorry if I confused you. lol
Lol it's ok, I'll edit it accordingly.

Didn't know he was coming I'll team with Charles I haven't seen him since the summer. That is if he is up for it tell him I would go fox for teams :)

I asked him if he wanted to team for pound 5 so since he is going to this I'll def team with him if he wants to
Yes, it would be good practice for you guys. : D

LLDL

Smash Hero
Personally I like a bracket for anything less than 50-60 people. Or have people vote on what they want to do. Im sure you could make that happen. But 1-10pm? Is that a typo lol?

If we have at least 10 tv's and cubes, I say do brackets.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well venue opens at 11 am but tournament would start around 1pm I think (Because we have to wait for OOS to get here first :3). We have to be out by 10 pm.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah I know that, but you said pools from 1-10. What time would pools end to go to bracket lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol I dunno, I don't really have experience as to knowing when pools would finish xD.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
it depends on how much setups and people we have. lets say we have 40 entrants and 8 tvs. thats 8 pools of 5 which means like what, 20 sets a pool?

doubles should be just bracket.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah, doubles should be just bracket.

Ranmaru, if you're worried about time constraints, singles should also be just bracket.
I think that you think pools will make the bracket smaller so that you can run faster, when in reality, it will just make the tournament take a longer time.

Let's say that we have 40 people, and 8 TV's.

If you were to do pools, thats 5 people per pool. That's 15 sets per pool. 120 sets total.

THEN, you would have to do the 24 man bracket, which consist of 55 sets, excluding grand finals

24 man bracket

Winners Bracket

So for that scenario, that's 175 sets. LOL. We don't have time for that.

Even if you went down to a 16 man bracket in the end, that consists of 29 sets. Add that to the 120 sets in pools, It would still be 149 sets excluding grand finals.

Now if we go straight into bracket, it'll only be 85 sets, excluding grand finals.

Winners Bracket

Losers Bracket

So, that's just my perspective. I think we should go straight into bracket for both singles and doubles. If we do pools it takes longer, PLUS less friendlies for everyone and no possible crew battle/side events. The only benefit will be 4 more matches in the tournament that they would get to play, but at the cost of all their friendly time?

But still, do whatever you feel is the best choice/maybe the majority wants pools or maybe everyone wants to go straight into the bracket. You're call.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I wanted to falco ditto. Next time man.

Also ranmaru, add "40+ People/BRINGTVS!!!!!" to the title.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree, bracket would be faster. It would also cut down on confusion like, who beat who how mnay times, who is going on, who to take out, bracket just seems simillar and faster.

But then again I've only been to one tourney (Apex)

Top Bottom