• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik tips(updated)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Here are some Sheik tips that I'm not sure if you know, and some you probably have known for a long time, so use these to help you master her. This topic will be updated today and next time will probably be Monday.

1)Evasive Maneuvers
Sheik is the 4th lowest ducker in the game (next to Mr. Game & Watch and the 2 puffballs) so use her duck more than other characters. You can even duck under Falco and Fox's laser... something only 5-6 characters can do. Many projuctiles you can duck under, and this comes in handy a lot when someone tall(or someone who shoots high)tries to shoot you with the super scope(with rapid shots, not big shots). You can duck under the whole thing. Speaking of super scope, sadly, Sheik shoots the highest with the super scope of all the characters, so many characters can duckk under it. Crouch canceling is a good combination with Sheik's low duck. One more thing with Sheik's duck is that if Sheik (or any other character) presses down to duck while they're running, they don't have to wait for the little recovery time each character has when they stop from a run, they just instantly duck. Besides this, you can dash at someone and then instantly press block+down to dodge. Most likely the opponents reaction when you dash at him/her will be to attack, roll or dodge, and since Sheik's dodge is faster than most or all of these(less total time), you'll have time to attack when your opponent when he/she is still recovering. Another thing I like to do is to just roll backwards to turn around instead of pressing the opposite direction while running, because rolling is quicker and safer. Did youy know that if you dash at an edge and then at the very last split second turn(not roll backwards) you'll turn faster. If you press up B while dashing very very close to an edge, you'll do 2 explosions. This is hard to do but helped me out when my foe tried to chase be down... because he exploded, went off the edge(not dead though), and I was able to do quite some damage edge-guarding.

2)Chain Uses
The chain isn't a completely useless move like many of you think. The chain has many uses. That is what I'm going to tell you.
#1)The chain can be used as an edge guarding tool because of it's long range and ability to hit over and over again. Now I know it's not the best edge guarding move(I usually prefer her down smash and needle storm)but against big characters with 50%+ like D.K. or Bowser especially, it can rack up quite a bit of damage.
#2)The chain can be used as a damage racking move. Trap someone big in the corner and hit them over and over again. This explaines itself pretty good. The only hard part is 1.) Getting them in a corner 2.) Keeping them in a corner
#3)The chain can stop small projectiles. But you probably already knew that.
#4)The chain can trap foes in a small places, like being stuck in the lowest little platform in Final Destination. This will, according to my experience, really annoy your foe, especially when they get aggressive and get several times by your chain trying to get out.
#5)Last, but certaintly not least, it gives you incredible range on tiny melee, and/or when you have a poison mushroom.

3)Needle Storm Uses
The needle storm is Sheik's only REAL long range attack(Chain doesn't count). It has many uses that I am going to post.
#1)Sheik's Needle Storm has A LOT of priority. As you all probably know, Sheik's Needle Storm can cancel out even Samus's fully charged Charge Shot. Also, if someone like Marth hits it with his sword, and when it hits a wall or floor (and on rare occasions when it gets deflected into a ceiling, it will stay there for a short time, unless of course the Needle disappears and turns into smoke from when it's shot and can't go any farther, meaning when it doesn't hit anything and disappears). When it hits something, it will stay on a wall or floor (and rarely a ceiling), and if something hits it for the approx. 2 seconds it stays there, like pikachu's thunder jolt for example, the thunder jolt (and I think the needle too) will disappear. Shooting it onto the ground is a good way to stop projectile attacks. Physical attacks work on Needle's stuck to a wall, floor or ceiling too, but physical attacks certaintly don't disappear.
#2)As you know, the main use is for having a long range attack to charge up in your spare time and to hit characters far away.
#3)Use it to edge-guard. This works best when you shoot it to hit your foe the instant after they do their 2nd jump, and works well on some characters 3rd jumps, like the ones who have... how do you say "air traction" like with samus's screw attack (don't forget her last resort air grapple though) and especially Bowsers whirling fortress move.
#4)Well, not a use but a tip is if you have some needles(2-6) charged and you're off the edge with no possible way to recover, switch to Zelda to save the charged needles when you die, come back, and switch to Sheik again. Well, this part is not on the Needle storm topic, but use Zelda as a last resort to recover from off the stage and never change to Sheik if you're Zelda in that cloud thing, because you're lose you're 3 second invincibility. Speaking of losing something when you change characters(sort of) don't change characters when the crowd is chanting for you or they're stop. Also, I forget if this is true or not but if you change when the crowd's voting for someone else, for the reason of hitting you real hard, then I think switching characters makes the crowd stop chanting for whoever it was that they're cheering for.

4)Juggles, Combos, and other stuff
I'm going to name some of Sheik's other quick A moves now. The 1st thing to remember is what moves to use in what situation. Tilt forward a is arguably Sheik's best and main comboing/juggling move. Tilt up a is when a foe is straight above you, or above/in you, so you can get both hits in. Tilt down A is used for crouch canceling, and opponents coming in low or if you're on an upward slope an your enemy's coming towards you from downwards to upwards. But you probably knew all that. Rapid attacks are especially useful on big enemy's at low damages because Sheik's rapid punch is hard for big guys to escape from. Rapid a on team battle (when you're on a team with team attack off) is extremely useful. Have your teammate grab your foe, then rapid a punch the enemy with Sheik. It's unescapable for the enemy as the helpless victim will be trapped there unable to do anything to escape, unless he/she has a teammate that smashes Sheik or Sheik's teammate. Juggles are meant for big and fastfalling characters for the most part. Why? Because it's easy to hit big targets and fast falling makes it easy to hit your enemy over and over again without him/her being able to escape for quite a while, especially from Fox/Falco. Sheik's dash is IMO the best dash attack in the game. Use it fairly a lot (compared to other dash attacks) to catch your opponent off-guard. Sheik's aerial moves are very good. Aerial A is her quickest aerial attack at 3 frames, or 1/20 of a second. Sheik's aerial forward A is 5 frames in starting speed and is great for light, fast-falling characters because it would be hard for him/her to recover. Aerial down A I only sometimes use when I'm way above my foe and I fast fall + aerial down a them. It's Sheik's worst aerial move at 15 frames and 11%. Aerial back A is 4 frames in speed and has a very long reach and is quite useful. Aerial up a is like a stronger, better version of Samus's aerial up a, both at 5 frames starting speed. Sheik's forward smash IMO is a bad move with rare occasions of use. Sheik's up smash is great for KOing foes, if you can connect it in the right spot. Finally, Sheik's down smash is IMO his/her best smash attack at 5 frames and can do 31% uncharged. It's especially useful on big foes and foes caught frozen in a Mr. Freezie. That's all for now.

Veg

Smash Apprentice
He can also win esily by running/jumping toward the opponent and mashing the attack buttons.

:p

Well he can!

Pi

Smash Hero
I picked up sheik kinda recently to deal with marth because samus has to play to defensive.

Do you have any advice on the sheik marth matchup, and why you think shiek is a marth counter, if at all, and by how much (a ratio).

Also, have you found any use for her jab jab crouch jab jab? It is really fast and looks like it could be really nice shield pressure

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I picked up sheik kinda recently to deal with marth because samus has to play to defensive.

Do you have any advice on the sheik marth matchup, and why you think shiek is a marth counter, if at all, and by how much (a ratio).

Also, have you found any use for her jab jab crouch jab jab? It is really fast and looks like it could be really nice shield pressure
IMO, the matchup is like 50/50. But Sheik combos Marth very well. Pretty much everything Sheik does (throw, etc) will lead to another guaranteed hit on Marth)

And why shield pressure when you could just grab ;)

Pi

Smash Hero
IMO, the matchup is like 50/50. But Sheik combos Marth very well. Pretty much everything Sheik does (throw, etc) will lead to another guaranteed hit on Marth)

And why shield pressure when you could just grab ;)
Ah, true true.
Lol@me thinking this was a recently created thread.
2002 doesn't even exist.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
no wonder M2k switched to marth. No one gave any constructive comments at all.

lol people were scrubs back in 2002 apparently.

Zelda IS prettier

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Before you updated this, is this the post that said "Watch out for mewtwo! hes the hardest character!!"? LOL good update if that's true.

Actually, awesome update in general, mad appreciation for you. I like how you know absolutely everything about this game, even with items, special melee and other non-competitive things. mango might still beat you all the time but you're still the best =P

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Wow Jason, way to go typing a MASSIVE block of text.

You're so lucky you're just so good people will read it anyway.

#4)Well, not a use but a tip is if you have some needles(2-6) charged and you're off the edge with no possible way to recover, switch to Zelda to save the charged needles when you die, come back, and switch to Sheik again. Well, this part is not on the Needle storm topic, but use Zelda as a last resort to recover from off the stage and never change to Sheik if you're Zelda in that cloud thing, because you're lose you're 3 second invincibility. Speaking of losing something when you change characters(sort of) don't change characters when the crowd is chanting for you or they're stop. Also, I forget if this is true or not but if you change when the crowd's voting for someone else, for the reason of hitting you real hard, then I think switching characters makes the crowd stop chanting for whoever it was that they're cheering for.
Is m2k really giving tips on how to manipulate the CROWD WATCHING THE GAME?

Also m2k, can you teach me how to work the chain? I actually don't know how it works.

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if tiny melee and super scopes were everyday occurrences in the competitive smash scene of 2002

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I want to see more shieks use proper shield DI into u-smash sweet spot out of shield!

Oh and her u-air *****, people should stop being so reliant on chaingrab/techchase so much, her combos are so versatile there's multiple things you can do in a lot of situations.

keeper

Smash Champion
If this thread were made by anyone else, it would be locked or moved to the sheik subform. Seriously, just what the hell. Why does M2K get to do whatever he wants?

Keep cheating in brawl and throwing melee matches, champ.

Edit: Just saw that this thread was created in 2002.

LOL WUT. I do not understand your post.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Speaking of losing something when you change characters(sort of) don't change characters when the crowd is chanting for you or they're stop. Also, I forget if this is true or not but if you change when the crowd's voting for someone else, for the reason of hitting you real hard, then I think switching characters makes the crowd stop chanting for whoever it was that they're cheering for.
Mind blown.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If I teamed with Jason I'd want our team name to be any of

Gay Robots
Transgender Ninja Squad
Super Nerds
Emo Ninjas
M2K and KK like flying bears
Mindset is a 10-0 MU

Anyway this is better than my Sheik MU guide and every post I've ever made about Melee strategy

10/10

Top Bottom