• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Carbyned

Smash Rookie
So I recently decided to try and pick up Shiek, and I have a few character specific tech questions. I'm aware of the infinite ledge stall/shino stall, as well as the needle reversal, however I was wondering if there was any other Shiek specific tech that I should be aware of?

Togs

Smash Rookie
Hey can i ask, when should i be using the c-stick with shiek. Also does anyone have information on reverse needle canceling. Thanks beforehand.

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
Hi.
The Reverse Needle Cancel (RNC) is really useful. To do it, just jump, then tap your stick (right if you are facing left, left if you are facing right), release it, then press and hold B. Sheik will turn in the air. Finally, press R or L to cancel the needles. Since you were holding B, Sheik won't throw it, just charge them.

If you get a side-B instead of the Reverse Neutral B, it's because you didn't release your control stick.
Making sure you can do it really fast, 100% of the time is really important. You'll be able to edgeguard or grab the edge efficiently with it.

About the C-Stick : For every aerieals (except neutral, which can only be perform with A), you must use it. This way, you'll be able to get your full attention on you control stick for your spacing / positionning.

About Sheik techs... This char is a lot about spacing correctly, playing consistently and punishing every mistakes. There is no flashy stuff you must learn to become good (unlike Fox). But getting faster with your every move, spacing, etc... is the most important.
You can work on getting a decent ledgedash (wavedash from the edge) since it's not 'that' easy. :)

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
First time posting in this thread! What is up guys, hope you all are well. Anyways I have got a quick question. What would lead to more (combo/long-term) a platform drop n-air, f-air or u-air on someone who is underneath you not in kill percent?

Last edited:

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Short answer: It's situational.

Longer answer: 99% of the time your goal is to keep the other player above you at all times. Whatever gives you the ground advantage is what you're going to want. Keep them close, but try and control them with well spaced moves.

Someone may be able to give better advice than me, but that's my input.

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
U-air might be the best choice, but good luck using a drop u-air on someone who isn't in a very long lag (bowser fmsash maybe). I'd go for n-air cause of cool hitboxes, but it's really situational imho

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
So, got some questions about powersheilding lasers

I'm having some issues with powersheilding atm - i am very consistent at certain laser heights (most notably the standing laser height) - i also can time the low laser (very hard but doable - i crouch and it's just before it hits your crouched face)

However does anyone have any tips for dealing with the higher lasers? Also how to powersheild it in terms of cues for the low lasers when standing/running? I really need to learn this trick more as i'm being overwhelmed by a few flowchart laser spammers atm and it's really annoying lol. I don't like restricting my entire game to platform camping and the air because i feel that is where sheik is the weakest

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for winning neutral against Falcon? For some reason when I play against falcons I feel as pressured as i do against foxes even though that shouldn't be the case. My punishes on Falcon are great (I can confidently get them to 60%+and potentially an edgeguard situation to boot off a low percentage grab), but in neutral I have a hard time hitting him and starting punishes more often than he opens me up and punishes me.

Also how do you play against ICs? I played a guy (usually a marth player but he seems to have developed a counterpick ICs for sheik) on FoD twice. The games were close but I didn't feel like I had a strong gameplan. I spaced a lot of fairs and downsmashed a lot. Aside from that I ate a lot of **** for ftilting (cc'd) and didn't feel like I had room to breathe. I'm thinking FoD wasn't the wisest of stage choices considering how cramped it is but I'm not sure. Switching to my Fox (which I'm sure can handle this MU) isn't an option here because like I said these were CP ICs.

Sweet™

Premium
Any tips for winning neutral against Falcon?
The hardest thing for Falcon players is that the have to approach. Sheik has needles, and excellent disjointed moves that, when spaced correctly, put a wall up between her and Falcon. If they're running around in the neutral position just charge needles and watch their movement. If they approach with something, probably a neutral air, or sometimes an up air, just time an f-tilit and fair them. Just remember that when he's above 60%, you basically have him restricted on what he can and can't do, and can control the pace of their stock.

Also how do you play against ICs?
Although Peach is typically the stronger IC's counter compared to Sheik, we still have the edge if we play correctly. Ice Climbers rely a lot on wavedash approached grabs and smashes. What do we do to prevent this? Throw needles. This tacks damage on them, and limits their movement. Remember that IC's can chaingrab Sheik with dthrow alone from 0-some fairly high percent with a guaranteed follow up. IC's have a fairly weak air game compared to us. The big thing is to remember the strengths and weaknesses from both characters.

I can maybe explain a little better if you make your questions a little more specific in case I didn't help.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
So, got some questions about powersheilding lasers

I'm having some issues with powersheilding atm - i am very consistent at certain laser heights (most notably the standing laser height) - i also can time the low laser (very hard but doable - i crouch and it's just before it hits your crouched face)

However does anyone have any tips for dealing with the higher lasers? Also how to powersheild it in terms of cues for the low lasers when standing/running? I really need to learn this trick more as i'm being overwhelmed by a few flowchart laser spammers atm and it's really annoying lol. I don't like restricting my entire game to platform camping and the air because i feel that is where sheik is the weakest
you cannot powershield falcos highest laser. you can duck / run / throw needles under it though

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I'm having difficulty chain grabbing Sheik when she DI's away. Just want to make sure. I should be using JC grabs right? Because it comes out the fastest? Should I ever be using a different grab when trying to chain grab someone?

hectohertz

Smash Ace
dash grab ftw. its just as fast as a perfect JC grab, and it has hitboxes infront of and behind her.

plus i feel like it hits a little "higher" as well

BO/\K

Smash Apprentice
What's the flowchart I should follow for a low percent back throw off the stage against space animals? I find if I WD onto the ledge I can't cover an immediate DJ illusion. Should I wait for them to go for that option and stuff it with a needle or something and then if they don't go for it do the usual ledgehop bair games?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You could ledgehop nair the illusion on your way back up if you think they're going above you. Usually you can follow up afterwards. Or, if you get out there fast enough and they're in the right spot, double bair, grab the edge, rinse and repeat until their stock's gone.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, so I've been doing it wrong all this time? I should never JC grab? Always just dash grab?

Sweet™

Premium
Am I in the minority that doesn't do JC or dash grabs when chaingrabbing...?

I like, never drop it if I have it. Figured if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
what i like to do against spacies after a bthrow is throw a quick SH needle, then try to cover anything else on reaction

Last edited:

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
For the people that have the 20xx hack, what are good practice tips that you have figured out? I figured out the tech chasing thing, (you just have to let the fox/falco shine or else it just doesn't tech the dthrow) then the nair/grab oOs to practice spacing and fox's drill grab to up-throw to uair to practice smash di. Any other cool combinations you guys have come up with?

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
What's the flowchart I should follow for a low percent back throw off the stage against space animals? I find if I WD onto the ledge I can't cover an immediate DJ illusion. Should I wait for them to go for that option and stuff it with a needle or something and then if they don't go for it do the usual ledgehop bair games?
i'm assuming you're talking about low/mid %'s where they have to telegraph the DJ sweetsot a bit

Spacies options boil down to this

DJ illusion sweetspot
DJ just above horizontal needles firefox
DJ airdodge onto stage
Shine stall
yolo aerial or dj onto stage
scrub illusion into your face

Generally, i feel there are two major options that sheik can take here.

After the bthrow, you can go for the shorthop reverse needles to cover the sweetspot, and this covers all recoveries that involve attempting to DJ sweetspot, shine stall and airdodge back onto stage (aswell as yolo stage recoveries). It also covers scrub illusions as you can basically do another needle into their face or ftilt them out of it on reaction. If you are early enough, you can then cover the firefox/bird with a runoff fair (to cover the sweetspot attempt) or you can do a needle charge mixup (to cover sweetspot and then cancel to cover onstage recoveries)

The other option is to do a jump off with your back facing them and this covers firefoxes and scrub illusions. It can also cover sweetspot illusions if you are fast depending on the DI/%ages if you fastfall and time your bair correctly. You can also wreck shine stalls on reaction if your spacing is good

If you got a read you can do some hard punishes (run off dj nair to cover illusion sweetspots). You can also do fullhop needles to cover sweetspot illusions and give you some more offfstafe options (if you follow with offstage and cover the illusion sweetspot, you can basically render it to force them to firefox)
You can also do WDoff bair (with a dj bair) to cover certain options

There are also other options too but basically there is no easy flowchart and it just takes a lot of experience/practise with trying different things to try and cover as much as you can.

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Well since anyone hasn't posted here in a while, I'll give it a shot. Is it possible while on BF to run off a side platform and reverse needle cancel onto the ledge? I've been trying, even in slow mode, and haven't been able to get it. Would the better option be to just short hop -> RNC -> grab ledge?

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Afaik if you're wanting to do something hard you can just do a WD walk turnaround or a pivot on the edge to grab it really fast lol

hectohertz

Smash Ace
yeah the super ****ing hard run off needle turnaround without a grab is both SLOWER than wd turn / turn wd --> FF

@ KirbyKaze KirbyKaze what i've been doing recently to get the ledge from a full run is wd -> turn -> wd -> ff. is that reasonable?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ hectohertz hectohertz I would use smash turn so you won't have to wait for the turn and can't miss the turn by jumping too fast. Another thing you can do is teeter cancel dash back wd ff to the ledge from full run.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you smash input the turn (like you would when dash dancing) and jump on frame 2, you'll be turned around, but if you hold buffer or slight input the turn and jump on frames 2-5 of the turn (with sheik turn is 5 frames, many chars have longer turns), you won't be turned around. The same is true for shielding.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
If you smash input the turn (like you would when dash dancing) and jump on frame 2, you'll be turned around, but if you hold buffer or slight input the turn and jump on frames 2-5 of the turn (with sheik turn is 5 frames, many chars have longer turns), you won't be turned around. The same is true for shielding.
okay, i'm with you, how would you use that to get to the ledge from a run? WD smash turn?

Top Bottom