• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
...Yeah no, that definitely falls into the standard NDA response category. The fact even you yourself used ‘implying’ to describe what it might mean shows there’s ambiguity there, not to mention it’s a generally playfully toned statement. Nothing saying ‘no talks have happened’, nothing saying it isn’t coming, not even a ‘we approached Nintendo but it’s up to them”.

As opposed to ID software about Doomguy and smash, “It’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious.” That’s cut and dry, and definite in its final sentence.

Saying "we'll see" is also ambiguous I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman

Saying "we'll see" is also ambiguous I'm pretty sure.
The creator of Freedom Planet stated that she wasn't approached by either Sakurai or Nintendo, so Freedom Planet for Smash is not happening. It's the same thing here. They said their talks didn't go anywhere, so Doomguy in Smash sounds unlikely.

Speaking of Freedom Planet, I never believed it had a chance to begin with, considering that it's still relatively new and only has one game, just like Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The creator of Freedom Planet stated that she wasn't approached by either Sakurai or Nintendo, so Freedom Planet for Smash is not happening. It's the same thing here. They said their talks didn't go anywhere, so Doomguy in Smash sounds unlikely.

Speaking of Freedom Planet, I never believed it had a chance to begin with, considering that it's still relatively new and only has one game, just like Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight.
Grant Kirknog told Banjo fans not to hold their breath once. Guess we didn't get Banjo either then?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Grant Kirknog told Banjo fans not to hold their breath once. Guess we didn't get Banjo either then?
Technically, what Grant said wasn't a real contradiction. He didn't say "they aren't in" or "they couldn't reach an agreement" He just said "I wouldn't hold my breath" which he literally wouldn't

Not to say that a creator saying "no" can't be a lie, just saying that Grant as an example isn't the best because instead of lying he chose a turn of phrase that, tho could lead people to believe the negative, technically didn't go against facts. So you can't really use him as proof that publishers/producers/creators can lie in regards to Smash inclusion, because he didn't.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Technically, what Grant said wasn't a real contradiction. He didn't say "they aren't in" or "they couldn't reach an agreement" He just said "I wouldn't hold my breath" which he literally wouldn't

Not to say that a creator saying "no" can't be a lie, just saying that Grant as an example isn't the best because instead of lying he chose a turn of phrase that, tho could lead people to believe the negative, technically didn't go against facts. So you can't really use him as proof that publishers/producers/creators can lie in regards to Smash inclusion, because he didn't.
Technically then leaving the interview with a "we'll see" can mean the ID employee didn't lie nor tell the truth in which case.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Technically then leaving the interview with a "we'll see" can mean the ID employee didn't lie nor tell the truth in which case.
That is true. I was referring more to the people who keep sighting the DMC producer when he said a definite "no" on Dante being in, but then people keep pointing to Kirkhope said to defend still thinking Dante could be in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I think you’re putting the ambiguity on the wrong statement. The part about the talks going nowhere is cut and dry, it’s as direct as a deconfirmation as you’re going to get. Adding a ‘we’ll see’ at the end says more to the idea that they’re not going to stop and will try to make it happen someday, not saying “oh but that last thing I said was an NDA lie wink wink!”. The point of an NDA is that you aren’t supposed to reveal something, but you still aren’t supposed to outright LIE to your consumers. Because that’s a practice that reflects very negatively on you in regards to your consumer relations. If you say something definite, it’s supposed to be definite.

Well, today is my birthday. How y'all been this morning?
In other news, Happy Birthday man! Hope you’re feeling great.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Anyone know why James Montagna of WayForward is working from Japan?
Maybe because he's getting closer with Nintendo and they're helping him a bit to make the Shantae brand bigger over there and in general. And they're probably helping him and Shantae out because they promise to put her in Smash and that would certainly give Shantae the popularity boost she needs in Japan to become a bigger star. But hey, that's just my theory... A GAME THEORY! Thanks for watching.

Late, but Happy Birthday RetrogamerMax
Thank you! :)

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Just reminding you guys. Keep that in mind about the Mii costumes were Sakurai’s responsibilities. Not Nintendo. Nintendo just picked the DLCs and Sakurai approved them. I don’t really know why they won’t go for Geno instead they’ll let Sakurai to add him in as a Mii once again as a return. I guess that teaches those some of obsessed Geno fans but that’s still kind of a dirty move to do that. Could’ve at least add a bonus music track or change his face into actual Geno face as a deluxe Mii.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Just reminding you guys. Keep that in mind about the Mii costumes were Sakurai’s responsibilitit’s. Not Nintendo. Nintendo just picked the DLCs and Sakurai approved them. I don’t really know why they won’t go for Geno instead they’ll let Sakurai to add him in as a Mii once again as a return. I guess that teaches those some of obsessed Geno fans but that’s still kind of a dirty move to do that. Could’ve at least add a bonus music track or change his face into actual Geno face as a deluxe Mii.
Actually, it's not all on Sakurai, but the character owners as well.

In the case of Geno: Sakurai doesn't own him, Square does.
And if they say Geno can't be a fighter, even Sakurai can't do anything about it.
They own Geno, so what they say is absolute.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Maybe because he's getting closer with Nintendo and they're helping him a bit to make the Shantae brand bigger over there and in general. And they're probably helping him and Shantae out because they promise to put her in Smash and that would certainly give Shantae the popularity boost she needs in Japan to become a bigger star. But hey, that's just my theory... A GAME THEORY! Thanks for watching.

Thank you! :)
I think also his wife and him just simply live there? It might just be unrelted to Shantae entirely most likely.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it's not all on Sakurai, but the character owners as well.

In the case of Geno: Sakurai doesn't own him, Square does.
And if they say Geno can't be a fighter, even Sakurai can't do anything about it.
They own Geno, so what they say is absolute.
I know but thats what I mean at the same time

I never thought I'd see IntroSpecktive endorse Shantae for Smash. https://mobile.twitter.com/IntroSpecktive/status/1343370265028423681
Oh wow he‘s a Twitch and YouTube partner. That’s hella sick he’s going for Shantae. I’m glad to be in this community. Not just Smash. Shantae and Shantae/Smash.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow he‘s a Twitch and YouTube partner. That’s hella sick he’s going for Shantae. I’m glad to be in this community. Not just Smash. Shantae and Shantae/Smash.
He supported Steve before, and he even said Nintendo told him to stop talking about Steve in Smash. Of course, we all knew where that went.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
IntroSpecktive (Twitch/YouTube partner who supported Banjo and Steve) posted a tweet about Shantae in Smash as DLC

Shantae haters or toxic fans: Not happening, she’s too sexy, she’s an indie fighter. Better off as a Mii, NO!!!!!!

True Shantae and Shantae/Smash fans:

Shantae gets in Smash as DLC and I’ll re-play World Of Light this time with her the whole time.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Since Sephiroth was Square's second choice after Hero in FP1. I guess Geno was out of Nintendo and Square Enix's thoughts to bring the star spirit doll as a fighter. Sad, but I see that it was another marketable move with FFVII Remake still recent with a lot of people. (Also, Sephiroth having history as a iconic villian others try to follow.)

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Shantae gets in Smash as DLC and I’ll re-play World Of Light this time with her the whole time.
I’ll join ya on this, hardest difficulty.
...although the challenge is technically impossible since you have to unlock the DLC fighters by freeing 10 characters. But uh, just go back to the start and replay all the fights you had to do to get to them I guess.

Top Bottom