• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Good day everyone. I am new here, but I joined the site yesterday. I struggled to introduce myself yesterday, but since the stream is coming up, I think now is the perfect time to explain why I came to this site.

In the months leading up to Fighter 7, I saw all these hints that could have proved that Shantae was coming to the game next. The merchandise, all of the games coming to Switch, the Japanese release of Seven Sirens, and even most of the custom Shantae stages being removed, similar to Banjo before his reveal. In fact, Banjo also got merch before his reveal. While I wasn't disappointed at Steve in Smash, ultimately I ended up getting upset as all my hard work doing speculation was wasted. But, my work is still effective, as I believe that it can still point at Fighter 8, since Banjo had all these hints but was revealed as Fighter 3 instead of Fighter 2.

With the stream coming out in a few hours, I think it is only right to join my fellow Shantae for Smash speculators and do some speculation.
Welcome to the fold!
Also, some nice speculation there. It’s worth noting to add on to your initial worries of Shantae not being fighter 7 despite said evidence can also be explained by good ole pandemic delays, so who knows just how many characters would already be announced by now had the world not decided to fall apart.

Regardless, welcome aboard the Shantae hype train!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well, this meme has been going around a day or two after Steve's inclusion to Smash Ultimate.
View attachment 288098
I love this meme since people are interpreting it like the Space-Time Shattering Burst Spinning Punch from Gurren Lagann, where Sonic punches Mario so hard he breaks through the sky.

I like Sonic being powerful... :D

Also Shantae not being Fighter 7 makes sense when you consider it was absolutely meant to be the E3 reveal if COVID hadnt taken place.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the fold!
Also, some nice speculation there. It’s worth noting to add on to your initial worries of Shantae not being fighter 7 despite said evidence can also be explained by good ole pandemic delays, so who knows just how many characters would already be announced by now had the world not decided to fall apart.

Regardless, welcome aboard the Shantae hype train!
Thanks! I appreciate the welcome! I guess COVID-19 explains why Shantae isn't Fighter 7. But, I'm not done yet! I am eyeing Fighter 8 as her entry into Smash!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Only about an hour now until we see Steve. I think this guy is gonna be a terror to fight against with all the tools they showed off. But I think the part we're all looking forward to is the mii costumes. Will we have some big deconfirmations like a Geno Mii Gunner, Dante Mii Swordsman, and Lloyd Mii Swordsman? Or will we instead see mostly Minecraft costumes and one special mii at the end?
We did get Vault Boy last time, so we can't just think that an indie will get the special mii costume. Anyway, I'm way more excited for the mii costumes and Sakurai's wording on the origins of Steve. He might just outright say that Steve is the first playable indie character, which would make our justifications moot.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Seeing as I kinda expect the next reveal at this year's Game Awards, imagine if Shantae is Fighter 8 and she's the reveal, what a mindblow. I look up countless videos on Fighter Pass speculation, and when I don't see Shantae in a video, I see "Oh I expect Crash, Doomguy, Master Chief, Travis, Monster Hunter, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Geno. I know for a fact a TON of youtubers and people on the internet would NOT expect Shantae at the Game Awards.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good day everyone. I am new here, but I joined the site yesterday. I struggled to introduce myself yesterday, but since the stream is coming up, I think now is the perfect time to explain why I came to this site.

In the months leading up to Fighter 7, I saw all these hints that could have proved that Shantae was coming to the game next. The merchandise, all of the games coming to Switch, the Japanese release of Seven Sirens, and even most of the custom Shantae stages being removed, similar to Banjo before his reveal. In fact, Banjo also got merch before his reveal. While I wasn't disappointed at Steve in Smash, ultimately I ended up getting upset as all my hard work doing speculation was wasted. But, my work is still effective, as I believe that it can still point at Fighter 8, since Banjo had all these hints but was revealed as Fighter 3 instead of Fighter 2.

With the stream coming out in a few hours, I think it is only right to join my fellow Shantae for Smash speculators and do some speculation.
Welcome friend! It's great to have another passionate Shantae supporter join us.

Now, some people are worried that Shantae might end up as a Mii Fighter today, and that when Steve got in, nothing is impossible due to the fact that we thought he would be a Mii. I am here to debunk the possibility of Shantae as a Mii Fighter. I don't believe it will happen. Not now, not ever. Here's why:

1. Masahiro Sakurai is in charge of who gets in as a Mii Costume. I imagine that he wouldn't do Shantae dirty like that. He has already added Sans and Cuphead as Miis, and they are the only Indie Miis we need.
2. Shantae does not translate well into any of the Mii archetypes in the game. As a Brawler, she won't be able to user her signature hair or even her magic. Now, as a Gunner and Swordfighter, she can use Risky's pistol and sword respectively. And even then, they still don't work. Risky's gear does not represent who Shantae actually is, and it would be misleading. Shantae as a Brawler also doesn't represent who she is. The only reason Lip from Panel de Pon is a Swordfighter is because her game is a Tetris style game, and as such, she has little to no moveset. Sans and Cuphead made more sense as Gunners. Sans is because he has the Gaster Blasters and because he has a limited moveset. Now with Cuphead, he has a bigger moveset than Sans, but it was really obvious that he would become a Mii due to the fact that he uses his finger guns. He also has very little Japanese presence, like Sans, although the latter's game has a small Japanese following. Shantae has a much larger following compared to other Western Indies in Japan.

While these are my only two points, I still believe they carry a lot of weight to them. I am confident that Shantae will be spared of the Mii treatment and get the Fighter treatment instead. I am sure Masahiro Sakurai would want to include one Indie Fighter, as the Indie slot still hasn't been filled in. Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming, and it wouldn't be one without an Indie Fighter. And I believe that the Indie that truly deserves this spot is Shantae. She has worked so hard to reach the popularity she has right now, and I think Smash is the next best thing for her.
You make very good points TRD, I agree.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
A Shantae reveal at The Game Awards 2020 would be the perfect opportunity to reveal her! If I recall correctly, Shantae and the Seven Sirens was present at The Game Awards 2019.
I know Seven Sirens was announced delayed same day as the Game Awards but I don't recall it actually being there but a reveal at this year's would definitely be welcomed.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let's see what Sakurai will present during Steve and Alex's showcase first. Then predictions for the next 2-3 months after. The shark is already here.
Screenshot_20200925-135930_YouTube.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
For Amiibo Theory, we are going to wait until next year to find out.
Screenshot_20201003-101214_YouTube.jpg

As for Minecraft content for Smash Ultimate, 10 days before they arrive.
Screenshot_20201003-100805_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Travis took an indie bullet. At least I'm glad that Suda's wishes are finally starting to become true.

For Amiibo Theory, we are going to wait until next year to find out.
If we hear about the next fighter, I guess it could be around December. Maybe the Game Awards? Tokyo will be involved.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Travis took an indie bullet. At least I'm glad that Suda's wishes are finally starting to become true.

If we hear about the next fighter, I guess it could be around December. Maybe the Game Awards? Tokyo will be involved.
Then set the date for December 10. Though, I wonder who is big enough to create a lot of hype at the Game Awards? Joker was the wild card to get DLC started, but IDK if Nintendo is going to do another stunt.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We got nothing for last years game awards we shouldn't assume we will get something this time.

I never thought Shantae would get a Mii Costume, since she really doesn't fit any at all. Shame though about Travis, but his mii costume looks great, and at least he can be playable in the game. I'll use him. Bomberman looks great too, and I wonder if some other Assist trophies may gut promoted to Mii Fighters. Isaac? Midna?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I am just happy Shantae wasn't deconfirmed. Thank you Sakurai!!!!!

Sorry to all Bomberman and Travis fans. You at least have games to enjoy next year. December or January is when we should get some new news. I can relax now knowing we ShantaeForSmash supporters have dodge the bullet.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Same for the Geno fans. Plus, we still got 4 more chances left. So there is still time.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Man, it does sting to see my boy Travis out. The Mii costume looks great though!
Only two complaints -
1: Swordfighter means only sword moves, to use his wrestling moves you’d have to use the Travis head on a different costume with a Mii Brawler.
2: Cmon, you played the NMH theme during his reveal but he doesn’t come with the song? I’d pay for it!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man, it does sting to see my boy Travis out. The Mii costume looks great though!
Only two complaints -
1: Swordfighter means only sword moves, to use his wrestling moves you’d have to use the Travis head on a different costume with a Mii Brawler.
2: Cmon, you played the NMH theme during his reveal but he doesn’t come with the song? I’d pay for it!
I do wish Bomberman and travis got a music track at least.

And give TRavis head on like the tracksuit, or the most anime otaku shirt mii brawler outfit we got, then its fitting

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Shantae and the Seven Sirens did win an award for "Best Mobile Game" at The Game Awards 2019 despite being unfinished.
No, Call of Duty Mobile won that award. A quick Google search debunks that claim.

A Shantae reveal at The Game Awards 2020 would be the perfect opportunity to reveal her! If I recall correctly, Shantae and the Seven Sirens was present at The Game Awards 2019.
Wrong, it wasn't.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
We Shantae fans lived to fight another day! Fighter 8, here we come! I look forward to doing more speculation!

No, Call of Duty Mobile won that award. A quick Google search debunks that claim.

Wrong, it wasn't.
You told me already on Discord, but alright.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Shantae survived another round.
I got a weird gut feeling she's going to end up a Mii Fighter.
(And before you say she wouldn't fit as any Mii Fighter. They made the creeper and pig brawlers. Anything is possible)

I do hope my gut is wrong and it's just some indigestion

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Actually, an interesting thought I just had regarding Bomberman.

They’ve given assist trophies the Mii Fighter costume treatment in DLC before, even in Smash 4. But it always struck me as odd that they never went back to give Shovel Knight one, with how perfect of a fit he is for a Mii Swordfighter.

...Perhaps they’re saving it to launch alongside a playable Indie character?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Woof. Won't lie, watching was a little anxiety inducing not knowing what the next round of Mii Costumes would bring. True, our girl doesn't really fit any of the costumes well, but other characters who have been Mii'd don't fit the respective styles much either, so there was no telling.

I feel for the Travis and Bomberman supporters, but on the bright side, the Bomberman costume looks awesome.

As for Steve/Alex... They seem very high risk high reward. You need a lot of time by yourself to set up, but if you can get a proper set up you can really lay into the opponents. I see the best counter being rushing them and not letting up. But man, you got to marvel at how much thought went into making this character work. As someone with OCD, even I have to tell Sakurai to turn it down just a little.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Actually, an interesting thought I just had regarding Bomberman.

They’ve given assist trophies the Mii Fighter costume treatment in DLC before, even in Smash 4. But it always struck me as odd that they never went back to give Shovel Knight one, with how perfect of a fit he is for a Mii Swordfighter.

...Perhaps they’re saving it to launch alongside a playable Indie character?
The absence of a Hornet Mii costume is bizarre as well. So maybe they're saving those costumes for Shantae's pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom