• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Will that actually work, regardless of having no limbs?
I could say that'd work, though I think if they were to go for it, the foot limb to body is going to be a bit higher than normal Rayman proportions.

And if I were to hypothesize, I think the disjointedness is a reference to how the Original Pig model became the Creeper, for some reason

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, an interesting thought I just had regarding Bomberman.

They’ve given assist trophies the Mii Fighter costume treatment in DLC before, even in Smash 4. But it always struck me as odd that they never went back to give Shovel Knight one, with how perfect of a fit he is for a Mii Swordfighter.

...Perhaps they’re saving it to launch alongside a playable Indie character?
That's a compelling point. Granted, we could still get somebody like an Inti Creates character out of nowhere, but other than that there aren't too many noteworthy indies left that would come with any.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, a little update it seems on why the Seven Sirens CE is taking so long...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Oh, most of the production's in China. Okay, that makes sense as to why a lot of these kinda things are taking a bit.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930

At least we now know they're shipping them this month.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
October 1st and 3rd were certainly rushes. Here's hoping Shantae is among the final four as a full-fledged fighter. Though we're lucky to have not gotten knocked to Mii Costume or anything aside from a later point Spirit, these following year and a change of months are not going to be any easier. If anything, with this crunched size, it's going to get real hot real fast. However, we've always had strength and perseverance in the face of seeming insurmountable odds, and I think a lot of people forget that's a big part as to why and how unusuals like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie got in. If we don't get in this time, we'll always have next time, whenever that time will come, I don't know however.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was thinking, what would happen to Scuttle Town if Risky won and somehow mange to get rid of Shantae? Would she raid the town constantly stealing it's treasure and valuables from the citizens or would she take a more power approach and become Scuttle Town's queen/detector?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So I was thinking, what would happen to Scuttle Town if Risky won and somehow mange to get rid of Shantae? Would she raid the town constantly stealing it's treasure and valuables from the citizens or would she take a more power approach and become Scuttle Town's queen/detector?
I think she'd rule the Sea's. I mean that's what her goal was from the beginning, right?
In terms of ferocity, I'd say she's kinda the middle-point between a light-hearted villain like Bowser and a cold-hearted and cruel villain like Ganondorf.

Although she used to be quite hardcore in the first game.
I mean. once you destroyed her beloved invention, she went completely berserk and was out for blood.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I think this ends Shantae's chances at being a Fighter, just that the Butt Bump theory itself is looking unlikely now. There's still plenty of other potential evidence in her favor like all the merch, the WF countdown, the cinematic window, the Pirate's Curse twitter screenshot where all the enemies spelled out smash, etc etc.

Dukefire

Smash Master
A small update, Mojang is now a part of the credits with the other companies to collaborate with Smash Ultimate
Screenshot_20201003-230919_YouTube.jpg

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I think this ends Shantae's chances at being a Fighter, just that the Butt Bump theory itself is looking unlikely now. There's still plenty of other potential evidence in her favor like all the merch, the WF countdown, the cinematic window, the Pirate's Curse twitter screenshot where all the enemies spelled out smash, etc etc.
That theory of Shantae being next to Daisy on the mural?

I honestly forgot that. There are a couple of counterpoints to it being dead however.

Not only has the mural been known to spread out characters, drastically.

Simon and Daisy are still looking at someone between them. Steve pops up in the row in front of them, but not directly between them.

He can arguably empower the tinfoil theory even further. It's a pretty convenient big picture if an indie stands in front of Shantae while the grand daddy of metroidvanias and the fellow game boy girl both stand beside her.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Wait whats that last bit?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, name’s SebTheGamer. I’m a Mario, Shantae, Hazbin Hotel and SMG4 fan. It’s been an honour joining Smashboard for the first time. So anyways yes I do want Shantae way more than anything into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as DLC (not as Mii costume). Anyway there has been lot of things been happening with Shantae with full-circling conclusion for her to join Smash as DLC. WayForward’s 30th Anniversary, WayForward’s no response, teasing us like many times, active almost constantly with LRG about Shantae stuff, Shantae merches, physical collections, 2 exclusive old school Shantae games to the Switch, etc. I thought it would connect to her being CP7 but no it was Steve. Now idk about her joining CP8 but I have some part of my feelings about her not making in and I’m honestly really scared about that.

Which Twitter link you’re talking about? Can you send it here? Btw hello I‘m SebTheGamer. New to Smashboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Oh, that was a while ago.

tumblr_inline_pri4drvWSp1r6xcrw_500.png

Last year Wayforward posted this shot of a secret room in PC and at the time I was in an obsessive mindset of overanalyzing every one of their tweets for some kind of hint that Shantae could be in Smash. I thought something was odd about it so I looked up the official names of all the NPC enemies in the shot and if you look at the initials of them and Shantae they spell out SMASHB.

tumblr_inline_pri4e4Y9pt1r6xcrw_500.png

To be honest, I think I was just really overhyped at the time and looking back on it it feels like a real stretch and might just be a coincidence. I wouldn't consider it hard evidence at all. I could have sworn someone mentioned it in this board before.

Remember kids, hype responsibly.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

View attachment 288324

Last year Wayforward posted this shot of a secret room in PC and at the time I was in an obsessive mindset of overanalyzing every one of their tweets for some kind of hint that Shantae could be in Smash. I thought something was odd about it so I looked up the official names of all the NPC enemies in the shot and if you look at the initials of them and Shantae they spell out SMASHB.

View attachment 288325

To be honest, I think I was just really overhyped at the time and looking back on it it feels like a real stretch and might just be a coincidence. I wouldn't consider it hard evidence at all. I could have sworn someone mentioned it in this board before.

You're a disappointment.
1536246723541.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

View attachment 288324

View attachment 288325

Yeah, I would say that's reaching a bit. Especially since it's from Pirates Curse, which means the room and enemies were set up before Smash Speculation really started for her. Interesting coincidence tho.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I am scared of the next Smash drought. Unless we get a Game Awards 2020 reveal in December, we have to wait for either January or February. I just hope it's Shantae this time, so the wait will be worthwhile. And even then, waiting for the next Fighter is a massive pain. I am tired of playing a waiting game. At least I hope we get more Shantae for Smash evidence to go along with the evidence we got from in between CP6 and CP7.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I am scared of the next Smash drought. Unless we get a Game Awards 2020 reveal in December, we have to wait for either January or February. I just hope it's Shantae this time, so the wait will be worthwhile. And even then, waiting for the next Fighter is a massive pain. I am tired of playing a waiting game. At least I hope we get more Shantae for Smash evidence to go along with the evidence we got from in between CP6 and CP7.
It’s kind of hard to tell how long the ‘drought’ is going to be. They have yet to outright state a delay in the Fighters Pass content, despite many other games fully announcing that their releases will be delayed, and continue to say all content will be released by the end of 2021. So we can assume that if they haven’t announced a delay to it even now, it’s probably staying strong.
Steve’s announcement took a loooong time after Min Min’s initial tease in March and release in June, but now we know it’s partly because Steve took a looooong time to develop. With 4 fighters to go, unless they have the same crazy development cycles as Steve, we might see a tease for one at the Game Awards for a Jan/Feb release, and then every 3-4 months after that.
But it’s honestly all up in the air.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you're right. I can definitely see Shantae taking long to make, but a Game Awards 2020 reveal would be more than welcome for her, especially since compared to E3, they can announce pretty much anyone there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, you're right. I can definitely see Shantae taking long to make, but a Game Awards 2020 reveal would be more than welcome for her, especially since compared to E3, they can announce pretty much anyone there.
Yeah, though as it stands we don't know if the VGAs will even get Smash news. Last year had bupkis in regards to that. We're pretty much having to play the waiting game for the next couple months.

Until then, I wonder when WF will continue their milestones.

Oh, and also....

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Given how long Steve took, we might also have a Terry/Joker style reveal before too long; that is, just announcing the character with their cinematic trailer and no gameplay footage, since that can be done regardless of the in game development. The first playable indie character in Smash (since Minecraft’s development team has stated they are no longer indie after being acquired by Microsoft) could be a Game Awards level announcement! ...Or not, who knows.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I agree! They can still announce Shantae with just a cinematic trailer! If they do have some gameplay to show off, even if it's unfinished like with Terry Bogard (at least that's what I thought happened), then it is more than welcome!

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would say that's reaching a bit. Especially since it's from Pirates Curse, which means the room and enemies were set up before Smash Speculation really started for her. Interesting coincidence tho.
Yeah. I knew I’ll take that as a coincidence as well.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
The other reason why it also take so long because of COVID-19. Keep that in mind as well. It’s not easy to work together during the pandemic. Hell I can imagine how Sakurai feels about testing the fighter after being made and if it’s not good enough, Smash team have to rearrange the 3D model you know. Since COVID-19 is strongly spreading still, they need some time and maybe skipping after 3-4 months. In my country, me and the populations all have to wear masks because we’re in Stage 4 which it’s really high but the good news is it’s working. It’s going down. The more we do it, the more it will go back to Stage 3. It might take after 2 weeks to get back to Stage 3.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
So people are calling Vergeben credible again due to the Steve reveal. However, is he really still credible though? Personally, no. There have still been a few times where he was wrong. If he knows something about Shantae being a Fighter, then that would be good to hear. Until then, I'm not trusting him. What do you all think?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So people are calling Vergeben credible again due to the Steve reveal. However, is he really still credible though? Personally, no. There have still been a few times where he was wrong. If he knows something about Shantae being a Fighter, then that would be good to hear. Until then, I'm not trusting him. What do you all think?
You're not going to trust him unless he tells you exactly what you wanna hear about Shantae? Wow, that's silly.

For the record, I don't think Vergeben's sources are completely infallible either but his track record is still fairly decent.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
You're not going to trust him unless he tells you exactly what you wanna hear about Shantae? Wow, that's silly.

For the record, I don't think Vergeben's sources are completely infallible either but his track record is still fairly decent.
Yeah it does honestly Robot. I honestly don’t look at leaks anymore. Even if it mentions Shantae, still not looking at it. I think it is silly that you don’t trust leakers until it mentions Shantae. Even if they’re talking about Shantae, it’s just a speculation or a theory. Don’t believe it too much and don’t change your mind just because it mentions “Shantae Smash”.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

Well, you do have a point. Vergeben has been wrong a couple of times in the past, so yeah. People treat him like the holy grail of Smash leaks despite his setbacks. At least for me, it will leave more room for Shantae to be in FP2.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Well, you do have a point. Vergeben has been wrong a couple of times in the past, so yeah. People treat him like the holy grail of Smash leaks despite his setbacks. At least for me, it will leave more room for Shantae to be in FP2.
Yeah, no leaker should be treated as infallible. There is no leaker with a 100% track record.
I think Vergeben gets so much credit specifically for the base game stuff and because of how many people fell for the Grinch Leak, so when that went belly up, the people who fully believed it latched onto the person who was ‘right’ and decided he had to be right. Thus, people just kind of forget all of the other stuff that didn’t come up. I never believed the Grinch leak was real for a number of reasons, so I kind of just accepted he had a good source for base game and then ignored any discussion of him from dlc.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, a lot of people are jumping back for Ryu Hayabusa to be the next newcomer for Challenger 8. Though we are gonna have to wait for another 2-3 months before seeing the bigger picture.
Heck, he could be the next Mii costume like what happened to Travis Touchdown. So, anything is possible for Sakurai to negotiate with the company for who knows how long.

Top Bottom