• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Well.

That happened.

Good the minecraft fans I guess? I could never really get into it.

But hey, an indie (if you can really call MC an indie game anymore) finally got in, so... huh... good news for us?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'll give Steve this, with my tempered expectations, I wasn't angry at him. Quite surprised, actually. However, seeing all the ill will against Shantae just because of Steve, is honestly more disgusting than anything else. I'll try to keep to my word to hibernate for at least three days, so all this can simmer down to some extent and we can have a more nuanced discussion about Steve and what that means for her.

That being said, stay frosty and watch out for more Grotesque Steve posts, especially around Reddit, Twitter, and KnowYourMeme (not gonna mention 4chan since that's always been a caution space for the last few years). With his inclusion, there's certainly going to be a lot of them for the next month or three, and more likely than not, at least a couple of them will be against Shantae.
Honestly, what else is new?
People do this all the time.

The fact is: the last 4 characters could be anyone, including our girl.
That hasn't changed.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
That being said, stay frosty and watch out for more Grotesque Steve posts, especially around Reddit, Twitter, and KnowYourMeme (not gonna mention 4chan since that's always been a caution space for the last few years). With his inclusion, there's certainly going to be a lot of them for the next month or three, and more likely than not, at least a couple of them will be against Shantae.
Eh, I prefer Merryweather Comics’ “strong, handsome boi” version of the standard Minecraft protagonist skin. Partly because he has to put up with moe anthropomorphic versions of the mobs in the game. :p

zferolie

Smash Hero
If any series deserved to by in smash its Minecraft. It started from a small indie company and exploded into this massive franchise now part of Microsoft. Good on steve to getting in, and it really shows we can get more western reps, and characters that started as indie. Still hyped and good news for shantae.

Eh... No thanks... I love minecraft, but they just look s so out of place... Those animations...
Thats the point.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
To anyone saying we can’t have more than 1 indie-
1: By the development team’s own admission, Minecraft ISNT indie anymore. It started as it, but it’s been owned by Microsoft in full for years now.
2: Even if it was, that’s like saying we can only have one Western character after Diddy or Banjo got in. Or one third party character after Snake got in. Or one Capcom character after Mega Man got in.

The only big fact to take from this is that Sakurai is able to work with western studios well, which is a huge foot forward for any character.

Plus hey, given how mechanically interesting Min Min and Steve are, imagine how cool they could make Shantae 👍

Dukefire

Smash Master
Minecraft is meant to be like that. Stiff and building. That and the final smash is pretty much everyone's worst nightmare in the game. CREEPERS exploding and all efforts has been wasted.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If any series deserved to by in smash its Minecraft. It started from a small indie company and exploded into this massive franchise now part of Microsoft. Good on steve to getting in, and it really shows we can get more western reps, and characters that started as indie. Still hyped and good news for shantae.

Thats the point.
I understand that, but it doesn't mean it looks terribly out of place in Smash. Game and Watch doesn't look exactly like an LCD screen and ice climbers aren't choppy sprites. Characters in crossover works get adapted to make them seem to fit in a share univers, but the Minecraft character is so one to one that instead of looking like a painful recreation it actually looks like a cheap mod where someone took the actual minecraft models and engines and dropped it into a Smash stage. Even his shading and pose in the mural looks out of place. Everyone else looks like they belong, but something about STEVE looks like they cut out an image from Playstation allstars.

Minecraft is a juggernaut of a game, and one I have played many hours on. I have it on my laptop and Switch. I love the game to pieces, but STEVE in Smash just looks... off...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Steve just looks bad, as I've said before he just does not work aesthetically and design wise in Smash.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah other characters get updated looks to match the current gen. Steve on the other hand looks like a simple mod from that one modded Smash game.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
For me these are the tiers of gaming:
1st Party: Companies that own multiple game studios that develop games exclusively for their console platform(s)
2nd Party: Company that develops their own games under the ownership of a 1st party company
3rd Party: Same as the 1st Party but do not own their own console platform
Indie Party: Company that develops and publishes their own IP games and or can develop an IP for another company but are 100% independant.

So really Minecraft falls under a 1st Party tier.

Shantae and other Indie characters like her fall under Indie so long as their IP is not bought by the 1st or 3rd party companies(like Nintendo or Capcom)

That is all. The indie rep slot is still not filled.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For me these are the tiers of gaming:
1st Party: Companies that own multiple game studios that develop games exclusively for their console platform(s)
2nd Party: Company that develops their own games under the ownership of a 1st party company
3rd Party: Same as the 1st Party but do not own their own console platform
Indie Party: Company that develops and publishes their own IP games and or can develop an IP for another company but are 100% independant.

So really Minecraft falls under a 1st Party tier.

Shantae and other Indie characters like her fall under Indie so long as their IP is not bought by the 1st or 3rd party companies(like Nintendo or Capcom)

That is all. The indie rep slot is still not filled.
Yeah, at least the Indie rep isn't filled in with Steve to be the 2nd rep for Microsoft. Just beware of the newcomer salt for the first 2-3 weeks. They always need to get a target to fire at sadly.

Edit: luckily, Sakurai isn't done yet with his presentation this Saturday, so damage control is on the way. Though, I do worry for the Geno fans if he becomes the next Mii Costume returning from Smash 4 once Wave 7 appears.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah, at least the Indie rep isn't filled in with Steve to be the 2nd rep for Microsoft. Just beware of the newcomer salt for the first 2-3 weeks. They always need to get a target to fire at sadly.
Right now people are bothered by how the character looks compared to other character who have updated looks to fit mostly in the Smash Universe. Steve and Alex looks like they literally jumped out of the Minecraft universe into Smash with no changes. Not sure why Nintendo did this as Minecraft is already a very popular series without needing a Smash fighter boosts. Heck this one character has caused more work on Sakurai then any other as he himself stated that he had to rework ALL THE OTHER STAGES in order to make sure Steve/Alex can fit in those worlds. Hopefully they won't ask Sakurai for another character like Steve again.

EDIT: Counting including Omega and Battlefield stages you are looking at reworking over 330 STAGES. God damn even characters like Shantae would make Sakurai do that much work.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Right now people are bothered by how the character looks compared to other character who have updated looks to fit mostly in the Smash Universe. Steve and Alex looks like they literally jumped out of the Minecraft universe into Smash with no changes. Not sure why Nintendo did this as Minecraft is already a very popular series without needing a Smash fighter boosts. Heck this one character has caused more work on Sakurai then any other as he himself stated that he had to rework ALL THE OTHER STAGES in order to make sure Steve/Alex can fit in those worlds. Hopefully they won't ask Sakurai for another character like Steve again.
I don't think he will try it again with that amount of development time used. I do hope the other 4 challengers left isn't as bad unlike Steve's time.

Edit: dang, I didn't think he would have to work on ALL of the previous stages for preparations of the next challenger. I do hope shantae isn't as bad should she bring her half genie magic to the table. I feel bad for his efforts on trying to make many people happy.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I don't think he will try it again with that amount of development time used. I do hope the other 4 challengers left isn't as bad unlike Steve's time.
I hope so. Because reworking 330 stages(including Battlefield and Omega variants) is a lot of work on that man. He is a perfectionist and that type of work will make him end up in a hospital.

I pray for his health to be at his best.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I hope so. Because reworking 330 stages(including Battlefield and Omega variants) is a lot of work on that man. He is a perfectionist and that type of work will make him end up in a hospital.

I pray for his health to be at his best.
That and I can safely say that FP3 is out of the question. He has done so much for us in 21 years for Super Smash Bros lifetime.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I think one thing people need to drop is one characters inclusion affects another character who has nothing to do with them. Steve does not affect anyone's chances outside of Minecraft, if there's even any more characters. These makeshift rules are obnoxious. "Oh we're only getting 1 indie", "Oh we're only getting one Western character", or "Oh we're only getting one female character". Stop buying into making things up and passing it along as truth. I came here to revel in the excitement of Shantae as a smash character and enjoy anyone else who gets in.

People need to clam down, damn....

Now, everyone enjoy (or don't) Steve and enjoy the drought over the next 3 months. Geez.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think one thing people need to drop is one characters inclusion affects another character who has nothing to do with them. Steve does not affect anyone's chances outside of Minecraft, if there's even any more characters. These makeshift rules are obnoxious. "Oh we're only getting 1 indie", "Oh we're only getting one Western character", or "Oh we're only getting one female character". Stop buying into making things up and passing it along as truth. I came here to revel in the excitement of Shantae as a smash character and enjoy anyone else who gets in.

Now, everyone enjoy (or don't) Steve and enjoy the drought over the next 3 months. Geez.
I'm gonna enjoy killing Steve lololololol

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't want to bring up Nightmare fuel, but people are return THAT steve image into the fray. Though this time, we HAVE an excuse to smash it into the ground and bury it forever.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Well...congrats to the Steve fans. What I can make of this is that Sakurai was told by Nintendo if he could make Steve work, so it was pretty much a Nintendo request more then anything and No Shantae is still in the running for DLC so the support is still stronger than ever BABY!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well...congrats to the Steve fans. What I can make of this is that Sakurai was told by Nintendo if he could make Steve work, so it was pretty much a Nintendo request more then anything and No Shantae is still in the running for DLC so the support is still stronger than ever BABY!
Thinking about it, but his reveal was the E3 reveal originally, so with that in mind Shantae wouldn't be likely in that spot.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Need I remind y'all that Mii costumes haven't been revealed yet?
I would say that unfortunately, Geno is at a higher risk than Shantae to being Mii Costume'd. And with the reveal of the Vault Boy, it's not necessarily Indie Costumes that are at play for the "Special Mii Costume" thingy.

That being said, regardless of what comes up with the Mii Costumes, don't entirely count out the costumes as being full-on deconfirms, as much as I love to throw that as a fan-rule myself.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Honestly, the only thing Steve being revealed probably deconfirms is getting another Minecraft related character as DLC.
But... who was asking for that?

Also, in regards to Twitter imploding under the Steve strain:

“Perhaps Twitter has fallen...?”
Sakurai you cheeky little.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess people on twitter might have not prepared for the unexpected move. Some probably got shot for the speculation hype with little to nothing to fall back.
Screenshot_20200925-101152_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man Sakurai is a beast to be taken on the task of doing this.

1601573904688.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Reminder that Sakurai also had to fully reprogram Smash 4 just to put in Ryu, even though he seems much less complex. Anything at all can screw up coding.

And anyway, Minecraft's massive sales transcend any argument of rep or origin.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I would say that unfortunately, Geno is at a higher risk than Shantae to being Mii Costume'd. And with the reveal of the Vault Boy, it's not necessarily Indie Costumes that are at play for the "Special Mii Costume" thingy.

That being said, regardless of what comes up with the Mii Costumes, don't entirely count out the costumes as being full-on deconfirms, as much as I love to throw that as a fan-rule myself.
Honestly, i would say the character most in danger of a Mii Costume now is Master Chief. Two Microsoft characters, it seems unlikely we could get a third, most of the DLC characters have come with costumes from their respective games/companies and Master Chief could make for a very easy Mii Gunner.

Top Bottom