• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I personally don't expect any Indie reps yo make it honestly. If Shovel Knight arguably the most popular Indie only made it as an assist at most. What chances do the others have then?

Not to dash anyone's hopes that is. Believe me I can be wrong given how many sp called "rule" and the impossible Sakurai has broken.
Shovel Knight wasn't really known in japan. I don't think he's the most popular either, but yeah he did have a strong following around.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I personally don't expect any Indie reps yo make it honestly. If Shovel Knight arguably the most popular Indie only made it as an assist at most. What chances do the others have then?

Not to dash anyone's hopes that is. Believe me I can be wrong given how many sp called "rule" and the impossible Sakurai has broken.
I'd bring up Reimu, but this is a Shantae thread and I don't want to derail it again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd bring up Reimu, but this is a Shantae thread and I don't want to derail it again.
Well Reimu is the opposite of Shovel Knight, where it's super duper popular in japan, but most of the rest of the world doesn't really know Touhou.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well Reimu is the opposite of Shovel Knight, where it's super duper popular in japan, but most of the rest of the world doesn't really know Touhou.
There's also the fact that Touhou is an old, long-running franchise to Shovel Knight's recent hit, if we're furthering the comparisons. On that note, Touhou's got a lot of achievements under it's belt, but I'm not in a very argumentative mood at the moment. Maybe I'll bring them up later. There's also her support thread too, if you feel like researching.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's also the fact that Touhou is an old, long-running franchise to Shovel Knight's recent hit, if we're furthering the comparisons. On that note, Touhou's got a lot of achievements under it's belt, but I'm not in a very argumentative mood at the moment. Maybe I'll bring them up later. There's also her support thread too, if you feel like researching.
Oh I already know about touhou. Doesn't really matter, it's up to how nintendo views the characters and the games. I do think shovel knight is a bit short on games, while Shantae stands in a pretty good place. I have no idea what nintendo is thinking though XD If they'd put an indie character as a full fighter. Hopefully it can happen.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If you want a brief summary as to why I think Shantae is likely it boils down to a few points

1. Nintendo is big on partnering with indies and spotlighting them. It's gotten as big as Sans, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, and Shantae being represented in Ultimate in some form. The next evolution is some playable indie representation.

2. The relationship of Nintendo and Wayforward is strong. That failure of a Bakugan reveal? Nintendo used Wayforward's name instead of Warner Bros. to promote the stream and it garnered a lot of buzz and hype. People thought it was realistic for Nintendo to partner with Wayforward on a Metroid or Wario Land title.

3. The Shantae series has always supported Nintendo platforms and now all 5 games in the series are officially on Switch. There are plenty of opportunities to start playing the series now.

4. It would be an easy acquisition for a 3rd party character. Wayforward has expressed major interest in Shantae joining Smash, even designing alternate costumes and sending promo art to Sakurai on their own accord (which is how her spirit was added in the first place).

5. She's been around since 2002, much longer than most indie franchises that still produce content today. This doesn't just show Nintendo that she's relevant, it shows that she has staying power. Franchises like Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight are popular now, but they're still really new. Nintendo doesn't know what the future for those series will be. Shantae has stuck around for 18 years and counting. The series has never been stronger.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If you want a brief summary as to why I think Shantae is likely it boils down to a few points

1. Nintendo is big on partnering with indies and spotlighting them. It's gotten as big as Sans, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, and Shantae being represented in Ultimate in some form. The next evolution is some playable indie representation.

2. The relationship of Nintendo and Wayforward is strong. That failure of a Bakugan reveal? Nintendo used Wayforward's name instead of Warner Bros. to promote the stream and it garnered a lot of buzz and hype. People thought it was realistic for Nintendo to partner with Wayforward on a Metroid or Wario Land title.

3. The Shantae series has always supported Nintendo platforms and now all 5 games in the series are officially on Switch. There are plenty of opportunities to start playing the series now.

4. It would be an easy acquisition for a 3rd party character. Wayforward has expressed major interest in Shantae joining Smash, even designing alternate costumes and sending promo art to Sakurai on their own accord (which is how her spirit was added in the first place).

5. She's been around since 2002, much longer than most indie franchises that still produce content today. This doesn't just show Nintendo that she's relevant, it shows that she has staying power. Franchises like Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight are popular now, but they're still really new. Nintendo doesn't know what the future for those series will be. Shantae has stuck around for 18 years and counting. The series has never been stronger.
I think those are good points. I think there's also..

6. Shantae games are getting more and more popular, including on the switch, which is essentially getting most if not all of them.

7. We know she did high on nintendo's poll, enough to not just get nintendo's attention but also get a spirit and an icon. We also know nintendo is more keen on paying attention to fan demanded characters (even if it's not for all characters).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Shantae would be very cheap to get the rights for compared to other 3rd party inclusions

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, the only issue is whether there's any room for her left among whoever else that is in those five spots.

Part of me thinks WF might be using their milestones to stall for time about re-negotiations for Smash being achieved. Might.
What explain your logic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What explain your logic.
It's simple to understand. Basically, assuming they are counting up to 30 milestones within their anniversary year, and the gaps between each milestone post, we're about to enter the last quarter of the year and there's still 11 milestones left before reaching the big 30. It's possible that, whether or not the upper management managed to contact Sakurai for playable representation negotiations, the Twitter account people are secretly stalling for time, if they intend for playable Shantae in Smash to be the final milestone. Up until now, their milestones have not acknowledged Shantae's spirit appearance even once.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's simple to understand. Basically, assuming they are counting up to 30 milestones within their anniversary year, and the gaps between each milestone post, we're about to enter the last quarter of the year and there's still 11 milestones left before reaching the big 30. It's possible that, whether or not the upper management managed to contact Sakurai for playable representation negotiations, the Twitter account people are secretly stalling for time, if they intend for playable Shantae in Smash to be the final milestone. Up until now, their milestones have not acknowledged Shantae's spirit appearance even once.
I thought that too. Not that they're stalling becuase they wouldnt know, we know the deadline nintendo set up and that they've already decided on the characters, but just having a lot of milestones so that once they get to #30, shantae would be out in smash by then XD
I just said it was a thought, not anything i believe :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought that too. Not that they're stalling becuase they wouldnt know, we know the deadline nintendo set up and that they've already decided on the characters, but just having a lot of milestones so that once they get to #30, shantae would be out in smash by then XD
I just said it was a thought, not anything i believe :p
I'm just saying, we don't know whether it is the case until it happens, or doesn't happen. Every company that has had someone playable so far has been very crafty about hiding the fullest extent of their involvement with Smash until the news happen.

Basically, I'm not saying it'll 100% happen. It could happen, but it's just as likely that nothing will happen and Seven Sirens or the Udon art book will be the last milestone instead.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm just saying, we don't know whether it is the case until it happens, or doesn't happen. Every company that has had someone playable so far has been very crafty about hiding the fullest extent of their involvement with Smash until the news happen.

Basically, I'm not saying it'll 100% happen. It could happen, but it's just as likely that nothing will happen and Seven Sirens or the Udon art book will be the last milestone instead.
Even as a spirit it would be a big milestone too, so I do expect they'll mention that. Who knows tho :)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Could I be removed from the supporter list, if I even was in the first place? Turns out I'm not that interested after all. Mostly I've just ended up arguing against Shantae in her own support thread.
What do you mean "Turns out?"

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Could I be removed from the supporter list, if I even was in the first place? Turns out I'm not that interested after all. Mostly I've just ended up arguing against Shantae in her own support thread.
Just because you like/support Reimu more doesn't mean you can't also support Shantae. Chill, I think you're OK and welcome here. Also, some Minor nay-smithing can actually help us keep our hype in check.

I also brought up points that might support Reimu's chances more. I still think Shantae has a decent chance and cheer for her inclusion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're not on the support list. But anyway the support list can't be touched, yellowlord hasnt been on smashboards since april 2019

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's entirely possible to support someone while still doubting their chances. Take me, I'm currently doubting whether Shantae will be playable at all, even though she's one of my more wanted choices. Also, I still believe that there could be a wild card indie that could get in over both Shantae and Reimu, whoever it may be.

Even as a spirit it would be a big milestone too, so I do expect they'll mention that. Who knows tho :)
As long as either outcome has them openly acknowledge the spirit and not dodge the subject again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's entirely possible to support someone while still doubting their chances. Take me, I'm currently doubting whether Shantae will be playable at all, even though she's one of my more wanted choices. Also, I still believe that there could be a wild card indie that could get in over both Shantae and Reimu, whoever it may be.

As long as either outcome has them openly acknowledge the spirit and not dodge the subject again.
It'd be interesting and good if they were dodging. :p I don't think they really are, unless there's something you know I dont,lol

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Welp, back from the Maintenance of SmashBoard, it looks like there's new bells and whistles to play around with XP

As for the actual arguments going on here, many of them I had heard before, it's like seeing the old demons of 2018 coming back again, though instead of physical manifestations, it's just voices.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lol. So you're saying they are dodging then? What makes you think that?
I'm just saying, we don't know if it's intentional or not.

If it turns out they are not dodging all this time, they could simply have said "please do not ask us about Smash, thank you" instead of giving the silent treatment for no reason other than "the fans will stop once Ultimate's support is done".

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm just saying, we don't know if it's intentional or not.

If it turns out they are not dodging all this time, they could simply have said "please do not ask us about Smash, thank you" instead of giving the silent treatment for no reason other than "the fans will stop once Ultimate's support is done".
yeah but no twitter for a game company HAS done that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For the sake of comparison, YCG are proud to bring up the Shovel Knight AT at any given opportunity. Meanwhile, WF barely brings up the Shantae spirit at all.

Even if Shantae isn't meant to be playable this time, that's rather odd behavior to have, especially considering how they otherwise have no problems bringing up random factoids about most things they have made or were involved with.

But if you think they aren't intentionally dodging and nothing is going to happen, suit yourself. I just want some peace of mind here.

That being said, we're already down to 10 milestones left:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 I haven't kept up with their tweets in the last while, I didn't know they kept the silent treatment going. They were vocal before they got a spirit in (and were silent for that) . This could definitely mean something :)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It could for many reasons, but let's play along with their plans. Besides, everyone at this point is wanting news for a big announcement and Challenger 7 since Nintendo hasn't made a move yet. Pass the small game trailers

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So do you guys think Nintendo still uses the Smash Ballot data to choose newcomers or they go off who's currently more popular in online polls? I ask because Shantae seemed to be one of the top contenders in the Smash Ballot back in the day. I heard her name, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight's names constantly online back then as well as endless fanart of all 4 or 5 if you want to count Kazooie on Miiverse. It seemed like to me the Rare/DK and Indies characters almost had no real competition in the Ballot besides veterans.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So do you guys think Nintendo still uses the Smash Ballot data to choose newcomers or they go off who's currently more popular in online polls? I ask because Shantae seemed to be one of the top contenders in the Smash Ballot back in the day. I heard her name, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight's names constantly online back then as well as endless fanart of all 4 or 5 if you want to count Kazooie on Miiverse. It seemed like to me the Rare/DK and Indies characters almost had no real competition in the Ballot besides veterans.
I think it'll still be a balance of "recent game/whoever got significant support on the Smash 4 ballot/whatever Sakurai likes".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been thinking about the Mario X Shantae RPG idea some more,and I wondered, what if it could be a sort of successor to Mario + Rabbids, by using the high fantasy setting suggested by Seven Sirens? Both sides fighting in a way they are not used to, yet mysteriously have the knowledge for anyway.

The playable heroes on the Mario side being the familiar Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi, accompanied by Shantae, Bolo, Sky and Rottytops, in the following roles:

Mario and Shantae, much like the Dragon Quest heroes use a healthy mix of physical and magical combat + support. Both can use shields with one-handed weapon (mace/small hammer for Mario, scimitar for Shantae), or a two-handed weapon for extra power (big hammer for Mario, magic scepter for Shantae). Mario is more physically inclined while Shantae is more magical.

Bolo and Luigi are the physical powerhouses, but in different ways. Bolo lacks any magic whatsoever but has very high physical stats, wields powerful flails and can throw objects like bolo balls carried in your inventory for even more damage. Luigi meanwhile is a sneaky rogue who is very squishy, but also very good at keeping aggro off himself, debuffing enemies and landing strong critical backstabs.

Peach is the main healer with defensive support spells, while Sky delivers the offensive buffs while also being able to fight in the air and from a distance depending on how she's using Wrench (as a mount or portable attack bird).

For Yoshi I decided on something unusual in that he's actually a martial artist, forgoing gear in favor of more gains by leveling. He can also be used as a mount by another party member for extra agility. Finally, Rottytops is, by virtue of being undead, the tankiest member with huge amounts of HP, drawing aggro, having her own specialized healing items and remaining somewhat active when knocked out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anything Shantae + Nintendo would be awesome. fighting game, rpg, strategy game, I'll take anything fun XD

Still, if WF is really silent about smash, and they have no reason to, who knows what's in store on that side :D

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This is pretty cool, ngl

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is pretty cool, ngl
The Bolo-dumping-on energy was strong from the very beginning, huh. Couldn't even be bothered to finish coloring him. Then again, who felt the need to give that Tinkerbat green clothes when there was a perfectly fine colored one on the box?

Those lines about Risky loving wealth and shiny things feel odd considering she has never, not then and not now, ever expressed any sort of interest in that sort of thing. Closest thing would be one of the Pirate Queen's Quest endings, but that could easily just be a love of stealing and pillaging full stop, regardless of what she's taking.

Top Bottom