• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not expecting any new Shantae announcements for a while, but it would be cool to see some new material in the future

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Thought I would make a moveset out of her using the transformation as 'stances', but someone already made it. Cool.
For movesets, I would make the hair whip her ftilt, her dash attack the cuff ability, fsmash her heavy kick, and dsmash some sort of breakdance windmill kick.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Thought I would make a moveset out of her using the transformation as 'stances', but someone already made it. Cool.
For movesets, I would make the hair whip her ftilt, her dash attack the cuff ability, fsmash her heavy kick, and dsmash some sort of breakdance windmill kick.
Yeah

I made one lol

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given that Seven Sirens and HGH have very different art styles, you think the Smash Bros version of her would be based on one of them or be its own interpretation?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Given that Seven Sirens and HGH have very different art styles, you think the Smash Bros version of her would be based on one of them or be its own interpretation?
Oh definitely its own interpretation. There's no 3D model for Shantae whatsoever, so that would have to be envisioned from scratch. The best you're going to get in terms of a style is clothing accessories I think.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh definitely its own interpretation. There's no 3D model for Shantae whatsoever, so that would have to be envisioned from scratch. The best you're going to get in terms of a style is clothing accessories I think.
If I remember right, Matt Bozon imagined her being somewhere between the heights of Peach and MegaMan

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the Smash version of Shantae would have a mix of all of her designs as Ridley and K. Rool's Smash designs are a mix of all of their past designs specifically K. Rool.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the Smash version of Shantae would have a mix of all of her designs as Ridley and K. Rool's Smash designs are a mix of all of their past designs specifically K. Rool.
Aesthetically, I bet her overall design will be pleasing to fans

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you do look at Shantae's past and present designs, you do see some her accessories change. Look at the jewel on her tiara. It is gone once moved to HGH. Along with her braclets and on her pants.
6808-shantae-render.jpg
Pirate%27s_Curse_Shantae_Portrait.png
Shantae_and_the_Seven_Sirens_Official_Artwork.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if Nintendo did want to put in Shantae in here, Sak has settled on only 5 more fighters to add before closing up shop, and her series is still active and continues to keep going. So even if she misses out, she'll get her chance next time.

The key thing is to not let support die out like for Cave Story's Quote.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Even if Nintendo did want to put in Shantae in here, Sak has settled on only 5 more fighters to add before closing up shop, and her series is still active and continues to keep going. So even if she misses out, she'll get her chance next time.

The key thing is to not let support die out like for Cave Story's Quote.
Quote basically has no chance anymore.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Shantae not being an AT like Shovel Knight was a blessing for her chances overall

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Quote basically has no chance anymore.
Well, yeah.

>only one game that's been re-released to death
>pretty much just shows up in Nicalis crossovers nowadays
>creator did his damnedest to move on from said game despite demand for a sequel
>fans mostly stopped supporting him for Smash
>Nicalis themselves completely stopped bringing up Smash in any capacity, not even for a cheeky reference

Going from the patron saint of the indie character boom to a one-hit wonder. The guy couldn't even get a spirit event.

It's pretty sad, when you think about it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Shantae not being an AT like Shovel Knight was a blessing for her chances overall
I'm not too sure about that. Min Min's reveal didn't say "Spring Man wasn't chosen because he was an Assist Trophy," it just said "Yabuki says everyone is the protagonist, and wanted Min Min specifically." Assist Trophies were only mentioned for saying stuff like "Hey, Min Min has a Rush Attack just like Spring Man's Assist!" Plus, Spring Man was shown on the initial teaser and was show fairly prominently in Min Min's trailer, even if he got punched in the face afterwards. At the very least, Assist Trophies aren't a hard deconform anymore.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not too sure about that. Min Min's reveal didn't say "Spring Man wasn't chosen because he was an Assist Trophy," it just said "Yabuki says everyone is the protagonist, and wanted Min Min specifically." Assist Trophies were only mentioned for saying stuff like "Hey, Min Min has a Rush Attack just like Spring Man's Assist!" Plus, Spring Man was shown on the initial teaser and was show fairly prominently in Min Min's trailer, even if he got punched in the face afterwards. At the very least, Assist Trophies aren't a hard deconform anymore.
With only 5 spots left? I honestly doubt that. Even if nothing on paper says that things won't change, I can't help but have a gut feeling that promotions will really only be limited to a few spirits at best. If it's not just Min Min at all.

Its kinda overinflating his status at this point.
In a sense: Noitu Love came earlier, and that was almost completely ignored in favor of CS. It's a wonder the sequel managed to get a 3DS port, really.

And that game's creator Konjak did come back in a semi-big way with Iconoclasts, while Daisuke Amaya basically faded into the background.

Of course, neither tried as hard as the Bozons do in regards to advertising their characters, not to mention Yacht Club Games for the much younger Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Its kinda overinflating his status at this point.
Quote's unlikely, yes, but I don't see him hyped up beyond what he actually is. Cave Story was the first indie game to really break through into the mainstream, and paved the way for the mid-2010's indie boom. It showed what one man could accomplish on his own, proved 2D platformers as a viable medium for indies in an age where 3D had taken the lead, and contributed to the metroidvania genre coming back. He may not be as big as he used to be, but it's not an exaggeration to say he's the grandfather of indies, at least in the current image of them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just personally not expecting DLC for Seven Sirens, it seems fairly open and shut as far as its gameplay was concerned.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Shantae 6 does happen within the next few years, chances are there's going to be a bigger focus on Shantae finding out more about her mother

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Are you guys giving up? o_O
It kinda sounds like you've already accepted that Shantae isn't one of the 5 unknown DLC Fighters.

If Shantae 6 does happen within the next few years, chances are there's going to be a bigger focus on Shantae finding out more about her mother
Haven't we been saying this about every new Shantae since Risky's Revenge?

Honestly, I am expecting her mother to remain an ongoing mystery, that will never be resolved.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It kinda sounds like you've already accepted that Shantae isn't one of the 5 unknown DLC Fighters.

Haven't we been saying this about every new Shantae since Risky's Revenge?

Honestly, I am expecting her mother to remain an ongoing mystery, that will never be resolved.
It's not over until all 5 remaining fighters are revealed, I never said I gave up. That, and the past few games have been incrementally building up more and more about Shantae's mom.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I wouldn't say people are giving up. It's rather a case of "Uncertain, yet hopeful". My read is most people here have chilled down a bit and are just in for a fun ride now.

In short: Take it easy.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's not over until all 5 remaining fighters are revealed, I never said I gave up.
Well the "If Nintendo wanted to, but Sakurai already decided on the last 5" post made it sound like you know Shantae isn't one of the 5.

That, and the past few games have been incrementally building up more and more about Shantae's mom.
They've been dangling this carrot in front of us, ever since the first game.
And when you believe the next game will finally reveal her... "NOPE! You get nothing."
It's an endless tease at this point.

You'd think Shantae had her big chance in Half-Genie Hero, where she came closest to meeting the Genie's.
But nothing came of it, in the end. And now we're back to square one.

So yeah, I have my reasons to suspect, that WayForward won't ever make a full reveal on her. Making her remain a mystery.
Shantae fans constantly got their hopes up that the next game in the series will show her.
But all they were met with after all the teasing and build-up is even more teasing and build-up.
And I can't see it ever ending.

I gotta give WayForward props to how creative they are with their teasing.
I wouldn't say people are giving up. It's rather a case of "Uncertain, yet hopeful". My read is most people here have chilled down a bit and are just in for a fun ride now.

In short: Take it easy.
Well alright then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Shantae ever became playable, Risky Boot's pirate minions would probably work as a Mii Fighter costume

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I haven’t given up on Shantae as being part of Fighter’s Pass 2, though I do think that Indie originated characters have more of an uphill battle to get there. It’s one thing to make them spirits or assist trophies, but to commit to a playable character is a much more significant hurdle.

Now, Shantae has been around longer than some of the people on this board have been alive, so she’s not some rando indie character, and Nintendo seems to be on great terms with WayForward, so I can absolutely see it happening. I’m not sure there’s anyone I’d rather more than Shantae, I just don’t have my hopes too far up. Now, if Smash continues on past Ultimate, I think she has a very real chance.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I haven’t given up on Shantae as being part of Fighter’s Pass 2, though I do think that Indie originated characters have more of an uphill battle to get there. It’s one thing to make them spirits or assist trophies, but to commit to a playable character is a much more significant hurdle.

Now, Shantae has been around longer than some of the people on this board have been alive, so she’s not some rando indie character, and Nintendo seems to be on great terms with WayForward, so I can absolutely see it happening. I’m not sure there’s anyone I’d rather more than Shantae, I just don’t have my hopes too far up. Now, if Smash continues on past Ultimate, I think she has a very real chance.
It's going to be a long wait until FP11 to see where it all ends

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile I'm like "no biggie, maybe next time if nothing happens".

I mean, I had to wait two games before :ultwario: could get in here. I don't think it'd be the end of times if Shantae didn't get in this game, I'm simply open to any possibility. Maybe she will be in, maybe she won't. Until proof of the contrary, it's simpler to assume it's won't, so that I try not to get myself too invested in the (often lofty) expectations of fans. Yet again.

It's just too bad there aren't much more neutral viewpoints in this fanbase.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's going to be a long wait until FP11 to see where it all ends
Imagine the torture and stress if she ended up being the last dlc revealed on December 31st in 2021and released that day such a long wait

MattX20

Smash Hero

I mean, I had to wait two games before :ultwario: could get in here. I don't think it'd be the end of times if Shantae didn't get in this game, I'm simply open to any possibility. Maybe she will be in, maybe she won't. Until proof of the contrary, it's simpler to assume it's won't, so that I try not to get myself too invested in the (often lofty) expectations of fans. Yet again.

Agreed

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I want Shantae in this game cause itll likely be the only time ALL these characters are togeher with no cuts, I want Shantae to be apart of that roster.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

And yet people treat it like a "Now or Never" situation.
Simply based on "Everyone is here", which people feel won't ever happen again.
So if their characters don't make it in here, it'll be all for nothing, even if there will be more Smash Games.

Not what I feel, but what most Smash Fans seem to be feeling.

Top Bottom