• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Conversation's slowing down. Have some Fan-Art.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Quality stuff

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm kinda bummed out, that we didn't get a real "Green" Half-Genie.
Since that would've opened up a lot more possibilities, on who can be a Half-Genie.
Plus, a genuine green Half-Genie would make for a good Necromancer. :D
I don't know if WF will listen to fans about that. From the sound of things, they pretty much do whatever they feel like on the creative side of Shantae things.

I'm hoping they keep going with the series and have Shantae end up meeting her mother. Half Genie Hero acknowledged that she's still out there in some form or another.

And unless I missed it, Seven Sirens didn't touch upon it at all.

More half genies would be neat, but I'm going all in on the full genies at some point.
I know darn well that will be part of the series goal. They're in no hurry to get there, but dog gummit if they won't take everyone on a ride until then.

011.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's weird, why all this publicity about Seven Sirens two months after its release? I can't complain too much, since more publicity is always welcomed, but it's just weird that of all the months to advertise Shantae again, it had to be during July.
2 months is a milestone more than one month

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
2 months is a milestone more than one month
Speaking of which, their more recent countdown update was for HGH.

Also, Udon is advertising for Shantae swag. Where's that artbook, guys? Is it still in the cards?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It's weird, why all this publicity about Seven Sirens two months after its release? I can't complain too much, since more publicity is always welcomed, but it's just weird that of all the months to advertise Shantae again, it had to be during July.
I dunno, but I saw a thread on Twitter that was discussing Seven Sirens that had a lot of people saying it was mediocre for some reason lol. I bet 90% of those people haven't played it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I dunno, but I saw a thread on Twitter that was discussing Seven Sirens that had a lot of people saying it was mediocre for some reason lol. I bet 90% of those people haven't played it.
I bet like 80% of those people were trolls and 10% were just arrogant people that have never played the Shantae games before.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I truly believe if Smash is to ever get a Indie rep it will be Shantae because of her seniority, number of games, her moveset potential, and her popularity. Our girl just has everything going for her to be the Indie rep.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just the fact that she got an icon and a spirit is enough to say that they acknowledged her placement in the polls. More and more of her games on newer nintendo consoles, it all puts her in a good place for it. And with Shovel Knight out of the running, I don't think there's any indie character that would be ahead. (I think :p)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just the fact that she got an icon and a spirit is enough to say that they acknowledged her placement in the polls. More and more of her games on newer nintendo consoles, it all puts her in a good place for it. And with Shovel Knight out of the running, I don't think there's any indie character that would be ahead. (I think :p)
Yep. She's come a long way

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I truly believe if Smash is to ever get a Indie rep it will be Shantae because of her seniority, number of games, her moveset potential, and her popularity. Our girl just has everything going for her to be the Indie rep.
I'd say that If Smash Bros. gets an Indie rep the choice will be between Shantae and Hakurei Reimu.

Touhou is an older series with more games, has the home-field advantage, and the fanbase is XBOX HUEG and dedicated.

Still, I'm rooting for our Half Genie.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I keep getting notifications for this thread, I keep coming here, I'd be pretty happy with Shantae in Smash... Y'know what? Just add me to the supporter list, please.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So do you guys still think Shantae has a chance to be a newcomer in Ultimate?
All of the characters like Geno, Shantae, Rayman, Elma, and Bandana Waddle Dee all have a legitimate second chance since MinMin broke the spirits deconfirm rule

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So do you guys still think Shantae has a chance to be a newcomer in Ultimate?
Yes, but not without competition (Though nothing says we'll only get one indie...). Shantae has popularity, seniority, and is fairly well-known on both sides of the Pacific, but I'd argue her seniority becomes a bit less impressive when you realize she only came to prominence in the second half of her lifespan. The first half had her first game flop, and she was put on the backburner for a while, living as a cult classic for eight years until the release of Risky's Revenge... Which was then criticized for being too short, and was mostly under the radar. She then had to wait another four years until Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter finally elevated her into the mainstream (Well, mainstream for indies). Still, I'd put her as the third most prominent indie candidate.

As for her competition? First off, Shovel Knight... Maybe. Shovel Knight shot up pretty quickly, and while he wasn't single-handedly responsible for the recent indie boom, he's become an icon of it in his own right. The guy's the cameo king of indie for a reason, y'know. There's also the fact that the following three campaigns are about as long as the base game, and one could make a case for them being counted as their own separate titles. Even if you don't, there's still the upcoming Shovel Knight Dig and Pocket Dungeon, so he's definitely become a franchise now. The main reason for doubting him is the Assist Trophy issue, which is up to interpretation. Sure, we got Min Min over Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, but Assists weren't the reason for that; Yabuki said everyone was the protagonist, and then singled out Min Min as the one he wanted. Assists weren't mentioned regarding that, but I think Assists are implicitly back on the table. Still, we can't say for sure just yet.

My number one indie pick would be Reimu Hakurei. Touhou's been around since the 90's, has 30 games to its name and counting, and is HUGE in Japan-As in, big enough to get a crossover with Hello Kitty, the second most profitable franchise in the world. Plus, the owner, ZUN, is really easy to get a hold of; Aside from being in Japan, he's so lax with his IP that he'll come down and compose songs for the fangames. If that's not lax, I don't know what is. The main problem for Reimu is lack of Western popularity, but I see her situation as closer to Terry or Hero than Takamaru. She's huge in Japan, as mentioned above, and she's not Japan-exclusive; There's 12 Touhou games on Steam you can buy. Sure, only one is translated, but that's only because the fans will just make their own translation a couple days after release, defeating the need to make an official one in the first place. I think Reimu's the most likely indie rep, but I'm not ready to place my bets just yet; Smash is too unpredictable for that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes, but not without competition (Though nothing says we'll only get one indie...). Shantae has popularity, seniority, and is fairly well-known on both sides of the Pacific, but I'd argue her seniority becomes a bit less impressive when you realize she only came to prominence in the second half of her lifespan. The first half had her first game flop, and she was put on the backburner for a while, living as a cult classic for eight years until the release of Risky's Revenge... Which was then criticized for being too short, and was mostly under the radar. She then had to wait another four years until Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter finally elevated her into the mainstream (Well, mainstream for indies). Still, I'd put her as the third most prominent indie candidate.

As for her competition? First off, Shovel Knight... Maybe. Shovel Knight shot up pretty quickly, and while he wasn't single-handedly responsible for the recent indie boom, he's become an icon of it in his own right. The guy's the cameo king of indie for a reason, y'know. There's also the fact that the following three campaigns are about as long as the base game, and one could make a case for them being counted as their own separate titles. Even if you don't, there's still the upcoming Shovel Knight Dig and Pocket Dungeon, so he's definitely become a franchise now. The main reason for doubting him is the Assist Trophy issue, which is up to interpretation. Sure, we got Min Min over Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, but Assists weren't the reason for that; Yabuki said everyone was the protagonist, and then singled out Min Min as the one he wanted. Assists weren't mentioned regarding that, but I think Assists are implicitly back on the table. Still, we can't say for sure just yet.

My number one indie pick would be Reimu Hakurei. Touhou's been around since the 90's, has 30 games to its name and counting, and is HUGE in Japan-As in, big enough to get a crossover with Hello Kitty, the second most profitable franchise in the world. Plus, the owner, ZUN, is really easy to get a hold of; Aside from being in Japan, he's so lax with his IP that he'll come down and compose songs for the fangames. If that's not lax, I don't know what is. The main problem for Reimu is lack of Western popularity, but I see her situation as closer to Terry or Hero than Takamaru. She's huge in Japan, as mentioned above, and she's not Japan-exclusive; There's 12 Touhou games on Steam you can buy. Sure, only one is translated, but that's only because the fans will just make their own translation a couple days after release, defeating the need to make an official one in the first place. I think Reimu's the most likely indie rep, but I'm not ready to place my bets just yet; Smash is too unpredictable for that.
Her Indie competition isn't want I am worried about, it's other big 3rd party picks Nintendo would be looking towards over her is what makes me concerned about her chances for this game.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Her Indie competition isn't want I am worried about, it's other big 3rd party picks Nintendo would be looking towards over her is what makes me concerned about her chances for this game.
Personally, I'm expecting an indie rep because SSBU's had a small but steady supply of indie representation. First, we had Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy, then Shantae as a Spirit, followed by Sans and Cuphead getting Mii Costumes that are so detailed they might as well be the characters themselves, and with their own songs to boot. Plus, Cuphead got a Spirit Event as well. At the very least, Nintendo isn't above representing indies in some way.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd say that If Smash Bros. gets an Indie rep the choice will be between Shantae and Hakurei Reimu.

Touhou is an older series with more games, has the home-field advantage, and the fanbase is XBOX HUEG and dedicated.

Still, I'm rooting for our Half Genie.
I'd love touhou in smash, but I still think it's a weird situation given that the rights are so open. I mentioned that in the newcomer discussion once but I don't think people understand that certain things can be liabilities to a big company like nintendo. I do hope it doesn't matter though, cuz I do like the characters from it XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally, I'm expecting an indie rep because SSBU's had a small but steady supply of indie representation. First, we had Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy, then Shantae as a Spirit, followed by Sans and Cuphead getting Mii Costumes that are so detailed they might as well be the characters themselves, and with their own songs to boot. Plus, Cuphead got a Spirit Event as well. At the very least, Nintendo isn't above representing indies in some way.
I think the biggest thing going for her is Cadence of Hyrule. Reason is because Nintendo allowed a Indie developer to make a game with the Zelda IP in it. If they would allow that than I believe they would allow a Indie character to be playable in Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the biggest thing going for her is Cadence of Hyrule. Reason is because Nintendo allowed a Indie developer to make a game with the Zelda IP in it. If they would allow that than I believe they would allow a Indie character to be playable in Smash.
Cadence is definitely something new that opens doors. An indie developper being allowed to work on something Zelda, it's just pretty amazing it could happen. I wonder how much chance Cadence herself has ;p

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'd love touhou in smash, but I still think it's a weird situation given that the rights are so open. I mentioned that in the newcomer discussion once but I don't think people understand that certain things can be liabilities to a big company like nintendo. I do hope it doesn't matter though, cuz I do like the characters from it XD
Touhou does have a ton of popularity and legacy in the Japanese games industry, but when it comes to picking an indie character for your huge crossover fighting game, I'd think most people would want to add a character whose series shows up on their own console. None of Touhou's main shmup games are on anything other than PC. How many games of Shantae's are on the Switch? Oh that's right, ALL OF THEM.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Touhou does have a ton of popularity and legacy in the Japanese games industry, but when it comes to picking an indie character for your huge crossover fighting game, I'd think most people would want to add a character whose series shows up on their own console. None of Touhou's main shmup games are on anything other than PC. How many games of Shantae's are on the Switch? Oh that's right, ALL OF THEM.
None of the main series are on nintendo, that's true, but there are the derivative games, I just dont know how many.
There is a touhou fighting game coming to switch too:

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as Touhou goes, I became aware of it largely because of the infamous Ronald McDonald video remix of UN OWEN was Her

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dunno, we have Cloud over Terra or a Black Mage, and Joker over Demi-Fiend, and to this day we still don't have Persona 5 on the Switch, despite the endless requests and Atlus continuing to encourage the fans. I don't think Nintendo compatibility is a major issue.
I don't see how the rights being easy to acquire would be an issue. Yeah, the Touhou IP is really lax, but SNK has crossovers up the wazoo and Sonic is pretty encouraging of fangames as well, even if it's not to the same extent as Touhou; Sonic Mania would be a thing without it.
As far as Touhou goes, I became aware of it largely because of the infamous Ronald McDonald video remix of UN OWEN was Her
As a recent Touhou fan, I can't help but wonder what the fandom was like back then. It sounds interesting, that's for sure.

Top Bottom