• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Fun image, but I doubt it means anything more than all the other images mean, which is very little.
Yeah, it doesn't mean anything in regard to future content, but it does mean something. Basically it's Sakurai giving a nice little spotlight to the indie community in general, which is a cool thing in and of itself.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Fun image, but I doubt it means anything more than all the other images mean, which is very little.
Of course much of the comments turned into "where's mah Indie?" arguments. The man can't just post anything for free.

welp.png

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
taking with grain of salt but if we get an indie world direct on the 31st Im getting hyped (not for Smash but hyped for.....a text leak.
I can hype however I WANT MOM!
Edd and Eddy are disappointed and baffled.jpg

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, it's a bit soon for another Shantae game to be announced. We just got Seven Sirens after all, and I'm not exactly expecting DLC for it.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I wouldn't pay that leak much mind, as nice as all the Shantae stuff would be I find it hard to believe because of...

The idea that there would be a direct all about Mario Kart Tour. I mean, they just announced the horizontal playing option for the game, it they were planning an entire direct for it you'd think that would have been part of it. Sure it talked about a trailer for Mario Kart 9 at the end, but that makes the idea of spending so much time on Tour seem even less likely since whatever they spent the entire Direct talking about would immediately be over shadowed by the announcement.

Especially when you consider Nintendo's statement that the success of Animal Crossing New Horizons compared to the meager performance of Pocket Camp has them reconsidering their mobile investment as a whole. Dunno, just doesn't seem like a move they would do but I could be wrong.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As I've said before, even if Shantae doesn't become playable in Ultimate, she's got 5 games under her belt and an always growing playerbase/group of fans

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
As I've said before, even if Shantae doesn't become playable in Ultimate, she's got 5 games under her belt and an always growing playerbase/group of fans
I've changed my mind: I now want Shantae to be playable. I used to want her to be unplayable, but after learning a little more about her, I finally decided that she would be best as a playable character.

As a reminder:

PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I've changed my mind: I now want Shantae to be playable. I used to want her to be unplayable, but after learning a little more about her, I finally decided that she would be best as a playable character.

As a reminder:

PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.
So does this mean COVID causes people to become Shantae supporters?

Welp, its a hefty price to pay, but its worth it.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So does this mean COVID causes people to become Shantae supporters?
No, that's not what I meant. I just put that bold block of text to remind everyone that I've revised my opinions, and improved by behavior. I'm also saying that my opinions have changed and they won't go back to how they were before the pandemic.

To get back on topic. Although I've already mentioned that I support Shantae for smash? How much moveset potential does she possess?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
She has magic, martial art techniques, pirate gear, dancing and animal transformations.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
She has magic, martial art techniques, pirate gear, dancing and animal transformations.
That's interesting, but I would still prefer Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, or Rayman over Shantae because they are all more widely recognized as of today. But for an indie rep, I may prefer Freddy Fazbear instead.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
The more the merrier.
kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox I suggest you watch some YouTube videos about Shantae's moveset ideas ( or Shantae gameplay) to see how much potential she holds and how fun and unique she would be.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The more the merrier.
kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox I suggest you watch some YouTube videos about Shantae's moveset ideas ( or Shantae gameplay) to see how much potential she holds and how fun and unique she would be.
Shantae certainly would be more fun to play as than Freddy Fazber, despite being less iconic. But it would be best to have them both be playable.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Honestly Shantae has a moveset with endless potential for Smash. I think coming from a platforming game where you progress by learning new transformations and abilities makes it very easy to both remain identically faithful to the source and be fun.

If you haven’t played any of the Shantae games, Half Genie Hero as well Seven Sirens are both very easy to get into and enjoy, I fully recommend.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just glad the original GBC game is getting re released again for the Switch. The other 4 games had plenty of releases, but the GBC one was a pain to get apart from it's only 3DS EShop release

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm just glad the original GBC game is getting re released again for the Switch. The other 4 games had plenty of releases, but the GBC one was a pain to get apart from it's only 3DS EShop release
Plus, we will finally get to play the original Shantae on the big screen in 1080p now.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If the other Half Genies get a spirit, here is my idea:

(Note: All of them are Support Spirits and none are Shantae because I want to show what other fighter would work best for them.)
PLINK
Class: Advanced
Type: Shield
Main: Purple :ultrosalina:
Minion: Invisible :ultshulk:
Defeat the main opponent to win
The minion tends to use Down B a lot.
Stage: Garden of Hope
Music: Island West

VERA
Class: Novice
Type: Grab
Main: Green :ultdaisy:
Only Certain Items Appear (Healing Fields and Healing Sprouts)
Opponent's Final Smash Meter grows faster
The opponent automatically heals 10% after taking enough damage.
Stage: The Great Cave Offensive (Omega)

ZAPPLE
Type: Attack
Main: Zero Mission Ending :ultzss:
Hazard: Electric Floor (Main platform only)
Stage: Norfair (Battlefield)
Music: Service Area

HARMONY
Class: Ace
Type: Neutral
Main: Purple :ultpalutena:
Hazard: Earthquake
The opponent starts with a Hammer
Stage: Midgar

Update: Edited some parts to have the details make more sense.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If the other Half Genies get a spirit, here is my idea:

(Note: All of them are Support Spirits and none are Shantae because I want to show what other fighter would work best for them.)
PLINK
Type: Shield
Main: Purple :ultrosalina:
Minion: Invisible :ultshulk:
Defeat the main opponent to win
The minion tends to use Down B a lot.
Stage: Hanenbow

VERA
Class: Novice
Type: Grab
Main: Green :ultdaisy:
Only Certain Items Appear (Healing Fields and Healing Sprouts)
Opponent's Final Smash Meter grows faster
The opponent automatically heals 10% after taking enough damage.
Stage: The Great Cave Offensive (Omega)

ZAPPLE
Type: Attack
Main: Zero Mission Ending :ultzss:
Hazard: Electric Floor (Main platform only)
Stage: Norfair (Battlefield)

HARMONY
Class: Ace
Type: Neutral
Main: Blue :ultbayonetta1:
Hazard: Earthquake
The opponent starts with a Hammer
Stage: Brinstar
What about the zombie half genie? Haha. /s

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
the original gbc game, Seven sirens dlc AND a shantae amiibo? oh boy if this happans tommorow....
I think the most questionable thing about all of that, minus a Mario Kart direct for Tour, is the DLC mention for Seven Sirens. Last time WayForward talked about it, they didn't have any DLC plans for Seven Sirens, probably because of its mobile release. https://twitter.com/newgamerhero/status/1243945317868933120

So yeah, while this would be great, I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Conversation's slowing down. Have some Fan-Art.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
David Liu was involved in both this and Panzer Paladin. (which you really should play, it's tight.)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Thinking about it now, it seems there is great potential in more Half-Genie characters in the series.
As each and every Half-Genie seem to have their own unique abilities.

Shantae has her dance transformations.
Plink has her "Lens of Truth" magic. (JK it's Seer Magic)
Vera has her Life Giving magic.
Zapple has her Electromagic.
And Harmony has her Earth Magic.

Which kinda makes me wonder how many more Half-Genie's are out there and what unique abilities they might have.
We know these characters are not the only ones, thanks to a... certain dead character.

I'm kinda bummed out, that we didn't get a real "Green" Half-Genie.
Since that would've opened up a lot more possibilities, on who can be a Half-Genie.
Plus, a genuine green Half-Genie would make for a good Necromancer. :D

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a question, can the Shantae thread reach page 1000 before August concludes?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm hoping they keep going with the series and have Shantae end up meeting her mother. Half Genie Hero acknowledged that she's still out there in some form or another.

And unless I missed it, Seven Sirens didn't touch upon it at all.

More half genies would be neat, but I'm going all in on the full genies at some point.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm hoping they keep going with the series and have Shantae end up meeting her mother. Half Genie Hero acknowledged that she's still out there in some form or another.

And unless I missed it, Seven Sirens didn't touch upon it at all.

More half genies would be neat, but I'm going all in on the full genies at some point.
The ending of Seven Sirens gave hints of potential things in the future

Top Bottom