• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Man, Min Min looks great (and super cute). Really love the animations they've done for her. Good stuff!
I think we can expect more characters that are this unique and different compared to the rest of the roster. It would explain the larger release window for me anyways.
And the spirit argument finally being put to rest really opens up speculation again. Curious to see where this is all going to go from here!
I hope our favorite half-genie will be blessed with an invite!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
RIP Heihachi, RIP my dreams to see Sakurai's cat in a video, RIP the drought of amiibo news, AND THE BIGGEST RIP TO THAT ASININE SPIRIT RULE HALLELUJAH

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
RIP to assist trophy promotions though.
Not exactly, it just means that there hasn't been word one way or another if Assists are disqualified. We have firm word that spirits are fair game, but assists didn't get a "no" they just didn't get word one way or another.

As much as I love Ashley and Midna and a few other assists, I am not expecting any to be upgraded, but there isn't any precedent to assume either way on them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not exactly, it just means that there hasn't been word one way or another if Assists are disqualified. We have firm word that spirits are fair game, but assists didn't get a "no" they just didn't get word one way or another.

As much as I love Ashley and Midna and a few other assists, I am not expecting any to be upgraded, but there isn't any precedent to assume either way on them.
I mean you'd think they would had gone with Spring Man otherwise no if this was the case?

Makes me think assists are dead in the water as an spirit was only promoted.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I mean you'd think they would had gone with Spring Man otherwise no if this was the case?

Makes me think assists are dead in the water as an spirit was only promoted.
Actually, Sakurai noted that he only added Min Min because Yabuki said "I want Min Min." He had Min Min and Ninjara in mind, but Yabuki made the decision.

If anything this is another case of insight in how Nintendo chooses the characters. They basically in this case just said "we want an ARMS character" and left it up to Sakurai to choose.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
oh my god an we can refight all Spirit battles! Yes I wanted that so much!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Also she's NEXT TO TERRY IN THE SMASH POSTER!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
They give us a ton of SP too, which is big for me since pretty much all of the spirits I'm missing require SP to level up or summon.
What I personally would want before that though, is make the Spirit Battles actually fair.
The vast majority is just unfair.

Or at the very least, lower the AI level, to a point where it is actually fair enough.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What I personally would want before that though, is make the Spirit Battles actually fair.
The vast majority is just unfair.

Or at the very least, lower the AI level, to a point where it is actually fair enough.
Most of them are fine - it's just a small handful, like Pauline, Giga Mac, 9-Volt and 18-Volt, Akuma, and Dr. Wily, that are extremely difficult.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Actually, Sakurai noted that he only added Min Min because Yabuki said "I want Min Min." He had Min Min and Ninjara in mind, but Yabuki made the decision.

If anything this is another case of insight in how Nintendo chooses the characters. They basically in this case just said "we want an ARMS character" and left it up to Sakurai to choose.
Even if he choose Ninjara it would still break the dumb fan rule because he is also a spirit.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This is the biggest help for Shantae now.

Spirits are up for Invites!

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
THE NO SPIRITS RULE IS DEAD

LONG LIVE SAKURAI

Hey guys! Glad to see this thread is still going, haven't been around much due to life and other games but still hoping for our half-genie girl

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Most of them are fine - it's just a small handful, like Pauline, Giga Mac, 9-Volt and 18-Volt, Akuma, and Dr. Wily, that are extremely difficult.
That is only if you have the counters at least though.
In a neutral setting you still get bodied, because of the hard AI.

Using Legendary Spirits, with broken Supports (Super Armor and things like that) is the only consistent way to win most of the Spirit Battles.
The artificial difficulty comes from the ground hazards, especially if they cover the whole stage and not just the bottom platform (which the description doesn't differentiate between btw) and thus force you to abandon the very useful abilities.
...and the other thing, is you being outnumbered. Which is just unfair.
And unlike in past Smash games, the team that outnumbers you doesn't have their defense and AI lowered to compensate,

Those two are just the biggest things that break the whole thing for me personally.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It was silly in the first place for people to think spirits deconfirm, but finally no one can use that :p

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
HOLD ON!

I just realized that with Vault Boy EVERY Mii Costume Pack the last three times has ended with a WESTERN Third Party.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
With normal Trophies being promoted in Smash 4, the "Spirits Deconfirm" rule should never have been a rule to begin with.
Spirits are replacements for the regular Trophies.
So there should never have been a reason for one to be eligible for promotion, but not the other.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
I'm at work now, but just wanted to stop in to say that this is awesome!!! I didn't get a chance to watch the presentation yet, but does anyone know if Min Min is receiving a new Fighter Spirit, or is her old existing spirit being used as her Fighter Spirit?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With normal Trophies being promoted in Smash 4, the "Spirits Deconfirm" rule should never have been a rule to begin with.
So there should never have been a reason for one to be eligible for promotion, but not the other.
Some people were really big sticklers for the lore of Smash. Never mind that Captain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein are spirits while King K. Rool is playable (even though those two are just K. Rool wearing different outfits), or how Robin can summon Chrom as his final smash to defeat Chrom and Lucina.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm at work now, but just wanted to stop in to say that this is awesome!!! I didn't get a chance to watch the presentation yet, but does anyone know if Min Min is receiving a new Fighter Spirit, or is her old existing spirit being used as her Fighter Spirit?
We don't know yet, but her Spirit board has Spirits already in the game. Spring Man and all the other Arms Spirits in her Spirit board are the same ones already in the game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Most new fans just refuse to study, it's annoying. It's like they spend their time grabbing Idiot Balls instead of Smash Balls.

We don't know yet, but her Spirit board has Spirits already in the game. Spring Man and all the other Arms Spirit in her Spirit board are the same ones already in the game.
Very true, she's got the bare minimum of spirits compared to Shovel Knight having a starter set.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
We don't know yet, but her Spirit board has Spirits already in the game. Spring Man and all the other Arms Spirits in her Spirit board are the same ones already in the game.
Yes, I did see that already. Although there are additional ones like Max Brass and Mechanica which is neat. I think this is great news for us all around, I'll be whipping up another video shortly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes, I did see that already. Although there are additional ones like Max Brass and Mechanica which is neat. I think this is great news for us all around, I'll be whipping up another video shortly.
Remember to mention about me for bringing up the Shantae merchandise to you that you put in your last video.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Some people were really big sticklers for the lore of Smash. Never mind that Captain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein are spirits while King K. Rool is playable (even though those two are just K. Rool wearing different outfits), or how Robin can summon Chrom as his final smash to defeat Chrom and Lucina.
What lore exactly?
Smash Bros didn't have a true story since Brawl.

I know there is World of Light. But the story is so barebones...
Not to mention the gameplay itself contradicts the established lore.
We all know how Kirby is the only survivor (which is still unfair in my book)?
And yet when you play it, there are plenty of Spirits that use him as a puppet fighter.
Even though in the story, he never got captured and Galeem (and Dharkon) should never have been able to create clones of him in the first place.

So yeah, I guess this should be one of many hints, that Smash Bros is not about story.
And Sakurai doesn't care.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's about fun and make-believe, if people want story, they can just go play Blazblue or whatever else.

Which may be for the best, since fighting game stories usually either have continuity errors up the wazoo, or are needlessly complex, and the average casual fighting game player wouldn't give a rat's ass about the story.

As it is, this is a fancier Dyna Blade with vague multiverses.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
It's about fun and make-believe, if people want story, they can just go play Blazblue or whatever else.

Which may be for the best, since fighting game stories usually either have continuity errors up the wazoo, or are needlessly complex, and the average casual fighting game player wouldn't give a rat's ass about the story.

As it is, this is a fancier Dyna Blade with vague multiverses.
As a BlazBlue fan, you need to read some of the novels and XBlaze to figure out the story. Its confusing other wise lol.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I do feel somewhat bad for people in the Isaac camp though. Since this released, there's a double-down on the whole AT "fanrule" since Min Min got in over Spring Man. I feel that it was ultimately an unintentional double down caused by the devs of ARMS to want Min Min instead of Spring Man, though how funny that the main cover person is not the first fighter, instead it's the fan favorite!

Also, interesting to note that the presentation was made on May 2nd, 2020. Mainly just because it was interesting tidbit to include.

Here's the most interesting thing, was the wording that Sakurai used for Spring Man:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They have ATs remain in their base game position for convenience and tradition's sake. With spirits, it's much less of a hassle to work around them, I figure.

At least Isaac fans can always settle for asking for Golden Sun to be brought back instead, Waluigi fans are at an impasse since no dev at Nintendo's first and second parties wants to have him get a major role (platforming or otherwise).

Last edited:
Top Bottom