• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
See? That's why I don't trust Verge's messages in the first place. He's too spineless to stay with his word, instead going "You may have heard me say this, but I really meant this and that."
Verge doesn't have the ***** to stand on the ground with his words that's true.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
In the end both Sabi and Verge say Geno and Crash Bandicoot are out of the running. Well, if FP5 is one of these two, then we'll all be settled about them.

What I take away from Verge's latest "clarification" is that they're still shooting down some big names, with Sakura, Tracer, Reimu and Kat. Backtracking? A pretty gutsy one still.

On their Twitter, Sabi mentions that they find Verge's communication weird, but they don't call Verge out as a complete fraud either. Comments are pointing out how strange it is that their specific sources are giving differing info, but there are several possible reasons for that - ranging from simply their sources having access to separate batches of info to the possibility that Nintendo/Sora Ltd. might just be trying to pinpoint where the leak is coming from - in which case all the info that Sabi and Verge are getting is questionable, not because they're fraud, but because they're being fed false stuff - to, of course, the both of them being actual incredibly lucky frauds (though my personal feeling is that they're not. I'm indifferent to being proven wrong though).

What I take away from all that is: Shantae is never mentioned anywhere. And yeah, I'd be lying if I said that, combined with WF's silence, I wasn't even a little bit hyped. Still, I'll keep my cool... for now.

To all the people calling out the leakers in general as not-being-worth-our-time: just remember we would all be singing a different song if those leakers were clamoring that Shantae was 100% in. My personal stance is to remain pragmatical. 99% of "leaks" are fanfictions, but Sabi and Verge have proven themselves to be in a "grey area" for me. So I listen, without taking what they say as gospel, just to know what they might have to say about some half-genie we all know.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To all the people calling out the leakers in general as not-being-worth-our-time: just remember we would all be singing a different song if those leakers were clamoring that Shantae was 100% in.
Speak for yourself.
Even if a "leaker" would PREDICT Shantae and she'd make it in, I still wouldn't think highly of them... AT ALL!
It's not those "leakers" that are the deciding factor on who gets into the game after all.

Either they're a shameless fraud or a shameless, insensitive scumbag, that invades and leaks things that should be kept private.
All for basking in the glory of "15 minutes of fame".

It doesn't matter if they're right or not, they're still bad people.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Speak for yourself.
Even if a "leaker" would PREDICT Shantae and she'd make it in, I still wouldn't think highly of them... AT ALL!
It's not those "leakers" that are the deciding factor on who gets into the game after all.

Either they're a shameless fraud or a shameless, insensitive scumbag, that invades and leaks things that should be kept private.
All for basking in the glory of "15 minutes of fame".

It doesn't matter if they're right or not, they're still bad people.
I agree, but I don't expect everyone to have the same perception.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well glad to see our girl is still in the running for Fighter Pack 5. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Normally I take what these leakers have to say as fun food for speculation to play with. I never really take them too seriously. But they kind of ruined it now with these wacky actions lately.
We're less than a week away from this all resolving anyways, so I'm not even bothering putting any thought into it anymore.

Right now I'm more curious about what the recent actions of WayForward (or rather the lack thereof) is going to build up to.
I feel we're in for a big treat! We might get this revealed this week too, which gets me excited!
Whether it's her in Smash, Seven Sirens on the big screen at TGA, or both. I just hope it's the big breakthrough WayForward deserved a long, long time ago.
And if not... well... we'll dance through it all and try even hard next time!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember that even if the fifth invitation has been reveal on who has it, there is still more on the way.........
Screenshot_20190904-171114_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Normally I take what these leakers have to say as fun food for speculation to play with. I never really take them too seriously. But they kind of ruined it now with these wacky actions lately.
We're less than a week away from this all resolving anyways, so I'm not even bothering putting any thought into it anymore.

Right now I'm more curious about what the recent actions of WayForward (or rather the lack thereof) is going to build up to.
I feel we're in for a big treat! We might get this revealed this week too, which gets me excited!
Whether it's her in Smash, Seven Sirens on the big screen at TGA, or both. I just hope it's the big breakthrough WayForward deserved a long, long time ago.
And if not... well... we'll dance through it all and try even hard next time!

I would think the Half-Genie Hero kickstarter was their big break. The money left over from just barely not meeting the last stretch goal seems to have been put to very good use lately.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Verge's backpedeling (not that I put too much stock in him to begin with) and WayForward's suspicious silence do seem odd. WF's Twitter seems to be mostly sharing River City Girls fan art recently and not much else.

While I'm still not expecting Shantae as F5, I hope that we can at least get some new information on Seven Sirens

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Verge's backpedeling (not that I put too much stock in him to begin with) and WayForward's suspicious silence do seem odd. WF's Twitter seems to be mostly sharing River City Girls fan art recently and not much else.

While I'm still not expecting Shantae as F5, I hope that we can at least get some new information on Seven Sirens
They've also been recently sharing crossover art having Shantae with other characters... that are in Smash.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
"How long before these backpedals kill Verg's credibility?"
We have approximately 4 days till TGA, the earliest known opportunity for some sort of Ultimate reveal, corresponding with the reveal of :ultjoker: and the [Fighters Pass] late last year.
The clock’s ticking, boys. Buckle up, this might get hairy.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"How long before these backpedals kill Verg's credibility?"

Never, because leaker followers are a superstitious, cowardly lot who don't care about entire track records, only if whether or not they were right about things that matter to them. Or just say things they like to hear.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So many teases, so little time. Taking a look from today to Dec. 3rd shows to me an influx of Shantae sketches and art retweets among the River City Girls' art. The one I stopped at was Shantae holding a ring from Sonic. TBH, I think this is more like a reference to the Sonic Mania Mod of Shantae that I've seen fairly recently than anything else.
Honestly, there's weirder things in this world than Shantae crossing with Sonic. Like the oddly large amounts of Doomguy crossing with Shantae, among other things.
In all seriousness, though, I'm still standing by my opinion that FP5 is likely to be a Namco or even Bethesda character if we want to imply they're completely new characters and not doing the Spirit Promotion until PFP. Then Shantae may be one of them, though there's also a likelihood of Geno or Rex, among oodles of many, going there too. The "worst" case scenario would be Shovel Knight being promoted from AT to full-on fighter. "Worst" is in quotes because I honestly don't mind him as much as some of our overzealous brothers do, but it would absolutely be a detriment to our Half-Genie and her reputation on the Internet.

Just remember, even if the "worst" case happens, we still have our Dawkins' Memes, and the best way to spread it is to simply be civil and present Shantae to others without shoving it down their throats. We're fans, not Jehovah Witnesses members. Then they become a carrier, and may become future Shantae fans when given enough time to germinate, ultimately gaining resistance to the "Hate Shantae" meme from the depths of GameFAQs and /v/.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I was more so referring to the art of her with Kirby and Banjo-Kazooie.

EDIT:
Still waiting to hear back from Nova about whether or not the Seven Sirens intro says "2020" or not.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, there is still the dub version on Dec 10. Though, IDK if its still the same or not.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Found some Shantae art on Twitter. NSFW account warning.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Not to imply that everything Jon for GameXplain says comes from some insider, but for those who wonder what he's talking about, in their Game Awards prediction video he was prediction a KOS MOS reveal

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
edit: Don't now why it posted it twice, forgive this unintentional double-poster.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sounds possible, but remember that predictions can go down the drain without any warning.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Not to imply that everything Jon for GameXplain says comes from some insider, but for those who wonder what he's talking about, in their Game Awards prediction video he was prediction a KOS MOS reveal
That would be a depressing reveal honestly. Gimmie Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, or someone else that isn't ANOTHER JRPG character.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to sound like a coincidence, if they don't show the trailer on Dec 10, then maybe at the Game Awards or somewhere in December after the event. Just endure for the worst.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That would be a depressing reveal honestly. Gimmie Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Crash Bandicoot, or someone else that isn't ANOTHER JRPG character.
Whoa whoa whoa man, do you KNOW what KOS-MOS can do, she can summon a huge array of guns to her, she's one man army in herself. We'd get someething super unique here as a female heavy zoner.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Whoa whoa whoa man, do you KNOW what KOS-MOS can do, she can summon a huge array of guns to her, she's one man army in herself. We'd get someething super unique here as a female heavy zoner.
Doesn't change the fact she's a JRPG character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't get all this talk about KOS-MOS being one of the most likely reps from a Namco perspective. They really aren't interested in doing much with her or her series, not even just for general marketing or fanservice in other games.

If she's anyone's darling, it's Monolith Soft's. Namco may technically own Xenosaga, but with the hints that Xenoblade takes place in the same universe...

Doesn't change the fact she's a JRPG character.
We don't really have a lot of pure examples of those. Pretty much just :ultness::ultlucas::ulthero::ultshulk::ultjoker::ultcloud:, six out of 74. Mario & Pokemon characters have technically been in JRPGs, but their franchises are much bigger than those, Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG.

If there's a genre to complain about being overrepresented, it would be platformers.

Top Bottom