• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I don't get all this talk about KOS-MOS being one of the most likely reps from a Namco perspective. They really aren't interested in doing much with her or her series, not even just for general marketing or fanservice in other games.

If she's anyone's darling, it's Monolith Soft's. Namco may technically own Xenosaga, but with the hints that Xenoblade takes place in the same universe...

We don't really have a lot of pure examples of those. Pretty much just :ultness::ultlucas::ulthero::ultshulk::ultjoker::ultcloud:, six out of 74. Mario & Pokemon characters have technically been in JRPGs, but their franchises are much bigger than those, Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG.

If there's a genre to complain about being overrepresented, it would be platformers.
Let's agree to disagree (I honestly think RPGs in general are generic and boring... except for a select few... that AREN'T in Smash).

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If Verge is correct, Bandai Namco is off the table for fighter 5 anyway. The main issue I have with JRPG representation rn is that if a JRPG character is fighter 5, that makes the 3rd in the fighter's pass.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
What's so bad about RPGs anyways? :/

I played a lot of the Final Fantasy games.
And I also checked out Xenoblade, Persona 5 and a little of Dragon Quest.
They're all fine games to me.
So what gives?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's agree to disagree (I honestly think RPGs in general are generic and boring... except for a select few... that AREN'T in Smash).
Even so, disparaging a character for their genre of origin feels really petty. It's very much secondary to popularity and impact, and the fact remains that every character is put in a situation where they play very differently from how they do originally, to varying degrees.

How would you feel about people dissing Shantae for being a Metroidvania character, regardless of whether or not we had a bunch of them already?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Even so, disparaging a character for their genre of origin feels really petty. It's very much secondary to popularity and impact, and the fact remains that every character is put in a situation where they play very differently from how they do originally, to varying degrees.

How would you feel about people dissing Shantae for being a Metroidvania character, regardless of whether or not we had a bunch of them already?
My problem with JRPG representation in Smash has to do with how boring most of those specific characters in the roster are visually. Cloud and Joker are the only ones I even care for.

D

Deleted member

Not to imply that everything Jon for GameXplain says comes from some insider, but for those who wonder what he's talking about, in their Game Awards prediction video he was prediction a KOS MOS reveal
I wouldn’t give them much attention they don’t know who 5 is just sharing who they think it would be

and aside from verge an noa brand abassidor said namco isn’t 5, alongside capcom.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I don't hate JRPGs completely (I LOVE Octopath Traveler, Kingdom Hearts III, and would love to eventually play Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars). I just don't want anyone else from that genre that isn't either Geno or Sora.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't change the fact she's a JRPG character.
True, but I find genres to be irrelevant when it comes to a character's potential as a Smash fighter. It's more about what the character can do.

It'd be different if she was an umpteenth swordfighter the developers would have to pull a rabbit out of their butt to distinguish from all the variations of Marth.

Likewise, I don't like when people use it as some quota that needs to be filled.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
True, but I find genres to be irrelevant when it comes to a character's potential as a Smash fighter. It's more about what the character can do.

It'd be different if she was an umpteenth swordfighter the developers would have to pull a rabbit out of their butt to distinguish from all the variations of Marth.

Likewise, I don't like when people use it as some quota that needs to be filled.
True.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I mentioned it already in another thread but just in case anyone here didn't see, here ya go. It's wishful thinking but man if this proves true...

And here's something WayForward retweeted not that long ago:

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mentioned it already in another thread but just in case anyone here didn't see, here ya go. It's wishful thinking but man if this proves true...

And here's something WayForward retweeted not that long ago:

I'm sorry, but what is that making you hopeful for exactly?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but what is that making you hopeful for exactly?
It's mostly wishful thinking. The timing of those tweets was interesting to me and say if something does happen, Sonic could welcome our Half-Genie. Would make sense for him to be one to do it. Both have sidescrolling platformers so one would compliment the other.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It's mostly wishful thinking. The timing of those tweets was interesting to me and say if something does happen, Sonic could welcome our Half-Genie. Would make sense for him to be one to do it. Both have sidescrolling platformers so one would compliment the other.
Hmm, well I can't say Sonic was the one that made the most sense to me for Shantae's intro to smash, but if that's how it happened I wouldn't complain. Have any of the third party characters been used in the reveal trailers? Was Mega Man in the Ridley reveal?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Hmm, well I can't say Sonic was the one that made the most sense to me for Shantae's intro to smash, but if that's how it happened I wouldn't complain. Have any of the third party characters been used in the reveal trailers? Was Mega Man in the Ridley reveal?
Yeah Mega Man's in the Ridley reveal.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Interestingly somewhat, Shantae has yet to be deconfirmed unlike others that have support and even Geno who is a spirit.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Sonic did have the two storybook games as Nintendo Wii exclusives, and the first did feature a friendly genie side kick to Sonic named Shahra.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember that Shahra was the genie of the ring. Though he did imprison a dijin in a lamp, so it doesn't stop that sonic has experience about the Arabian culture of his adventure in the storybooks

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
While people busily predict Kosmos and Jill Valentine we shall wait for it to be Shantae and cheer, having our desires realized after all these years!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah Mega Man's in the Ridley reveal.
Also was in Bowser Jr.'s trailer.

I don't really see a whole Shantae trailer basis with Sonic, though they might do a quickie gameplay segment with them together as a Secret Rings reference, especially if Shantae happens to have an alt with pink hair and white-ish clothes.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Why are people avoiding the obvious thing with Sonic here? They're just going to show a new trailer for his movie.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I thought they did already 3 weeks ago.
Yes, but it comes out in February. The Game Awards is probably the biggest audience of nerds that are actually likely to go watch the movie in between now and then. It would be foolish not to take that chance.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see another sonic trailer, or even a new sonic game showing up at the game awards. It has been awhile since the disaster of sonic forces.

Why wayforward also tweeted the ring at the same time could just be a huge coincidence. Still wayforward is acting very odd. It still looks like KOSMOS is the front runner even without the cat leak being a copycat(if true, could just be someone trying to throw more chaos). Shantae still isnt out, as no one has said spirits cant be upgraded as the final spot. Its doubtful and she is most likely post pass, but still possible

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Why are people avoiding the obvious thing with Sonic here? They're just going to show a new trailer for his movie.
I mean probably. But what fun is that? Besides, I'm one that secretly wants story book games remakes with normal controls so more people can enjoy Boost like Sonic but with a story and contributing if not playable friends. I'm happy if they might prove relevant.

I can see another sonic trailer, or even a new sonic game showing up at the game awards. It has been awhile since the disaster of sonic forces.

Why wayforward also tweeted the ring at the same time could just be a huge coincidence. Still wayforward is acting very odd. It still looks like KOSMOS is the front runner even without the cat leak being a copycat(if true, could just be someone trying to throw more chaos). Shantae still isnt out, as no one has said spirits cant be upgraded as the final spot. Its doubtful and she is most likely post pass, but still possible
A new game is certainly due. Though announcing something in development seems more likely. 2021 would be an anniversary year I believe.

We like to consider Shantae being quite possible, whenever, as a promoted spirit, but anytime I hear people talk about promoted spirits, they usually sleep on Shantae, at least by name. So if not her (and maybe forgetting Geno too), which spirits do people keep meaning to promote otherwise?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
We like to consider Shantae being quite possible, whenever, as a promoted spirit, but anytime I hear people talk about promoted spirits, they usually sleep on Shantae, at least by name. So if not her (and maybe forgetting Geno too), which spirits do people keep meaning to promote otherwise?
Maybe cause people don't think she's for "good boys and girls".

D

Deleted member

New Nindies presentation tomorrow.

I wonder if the new Shantae game will make an appearance...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So with Verge's backpedeling, it looks like nothing has deconfirmed Shantae at the moment unless you believe that base game spirits deconfirm (which I don't). Although I still don't expect her as F5, I would be surprised if she's not a post fighter's pass character.

I also did not expect a Nindies presentation tomorrow. I wonder if Seven Sirens will be announced there, or if it'll be announced at TGA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom