• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Plus, Shantae's outfit is based on the Arabian's outfit for females. Disney Jasmin is a good example.
"B-b-b-but she's an Indie dressed like that, which validates the argument. And coz I don't like her."

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Shantae is from a rated E10+ series so I wouldn't be too worried about her being too sexy for the good bois and gurls out there in the world. Plus, the moveset quote from Sakurai about the character being fun whether than just recognizable is a big plus for our gal.
I've seen a post on GameFAQs that claims that the "good boys and girls" quote is only in the English translation. According to the post, in the Japanese video, Sakurai talks about CERO in the part about the exclusion of Mai Shiranui.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've seen a post on GameFAQs that claims that the "good boys and girls" quote is only in the English translation. According to the post, in the Japanese video, Sakurai talks about CERO in the part about the exclusion of Mai Shiranui.
Interesting. I wonder why CERO was left out of the English translation.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Interesting. I wonder why CERO was left out of the English translation.
I presume that they don't think many gamers know what CERO is. Also, the fact that Shantae got a spirit which was unedited despite the image for the spirit coming from a game which has a higher CERO age rating than Smash Ultimate can only count in her favour IMO.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Another storm we are having to power though to see the light once more. Even with good cards laid out, we can't assume until the dealer reveals the truth of those that win or lose.
Screenshot_20191105-004718_YouTube.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If Shantae gets in, I want someone to edit this pic to be of her, anyone know any good editors?
Happy crying Chihaya.jpg

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
You think you can tempt me with cheap Sans and 50 SNK songs?!
WELL, YOU'RE RIGHT!
Tell that to SE.

Well, I'm no Mai fan, but I feel bad she can't hang with Mary, Yuri and King. Upside, she can't harass Andy now.

Which makes her very...

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Turns out that the "good boys and girls" quote is actually in the Japanese video too so you'll have to disregard what I said earlier I'm afraid.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, I'll let this image show here for Mai's absent appearence by Sakurai.
Though, I don't know who made it. So the artist name will help to give credit.
img(6).jpg

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I would have figured Mai could just wear a black spandex body suit underneath her main tunic thing. But that's not an "accurate representation of said character". and I guess her animations would still be too suggestive for the game. Heck, the CERO cares more about sexuality than guns and violence anyway. Which is why Sakurai sewn up Palutena's skirt slightly compared to Sm4sh before even submitting the game for scrutiny.

I love bringing up Jasmine being from Disney when people say Shantae is too suggestive. The only difference is Shantae has slightly less material up top, but that's an easy texture fix.

I very much appreciate the Hazbin Hotel love.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I want to believe, but would CERO accept a 3D model of Shantae in her normal outfit? Ugh, I dunno. I feel like it'd need to be a tube top.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That could also mean that WF could add other music tracks from the different games they made over the years. Though, the current heat is on the final spot for FP1 with the last invite landing very soon.
That'd be awesome, Xtreme Sports and the Mighty series deserve some love.

I want to believe, but would CERO accept a 3D model of Shantae in her normal outfit? Ugh, I dunno. I feel like it'd need to be a tube top.
Well, considering that they were too distracted by her kawaii features to have her spirit censored, that may not be much of a cause for worry. Plus, the Bozons had fought against social norms to have their character created in the first place, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd have to go as far as confront CERO themselves before contacting Sakurai.

Besides, :ultbayonetta1:'s alt has some cleavage anyway, so.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Eh, Bayonetta and Zero Suit samus both have skin tight, form fitting tops. I think one thing that will help Shantae a lot is her cartoony aesthetic. Being less photo realistic always helps when it comes to violence or sexiness (It's really sad to me that those two drastically different concepts are treated the same)

Anyway, I missed the direct, so is there a list anywhere of all the SNK Cameos on the KoF stage? that sounds like the only thing from this update that I would care about.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The Mai news is a little concerning but think of it this way: She couldn't even get a spirit. Shantae did.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Once another announcement comes in with some smash info, its going to get people revving again.

For Shantae, while she does have another step to move up, there are still more obstacles that will make it harder for another advance before reaching the final point.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I don't know why you guys should be worried. I mean I completely understand why Sakurai didn't put Mai in, if you ever seen Mai's gameplay animation her Melons are jiggling freely all out there clearly with no bra on and I believe her fighting style is to distract men to give her the advantage in fights. So to translate her in the game I'm sure the first thing people would first go into free camera mode on the KOF stage and take some Lewd pics.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people are worried about Shantae's clothing at this point.

It's not like they'd take the Mai approach anyway - they'd use a Smashified version (see: ZSS' compactness and lack of movement) of her SatSS design, not the GBC jiggle physics. SatSS toned breast so completely down that it only happens twice in an incredibly-exaggerated manner: her transformation in the Studio Trigger intro and the falling down cutscene.

Take this from a guy who called Sonic's inclusion, Super Sonic's initial execution, and Ridley's execution to the letter before they happened.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anything, the only thing to be concerned about is how many characters are left that even fit Mr. H and Milk-Bosatsu's mysterious female character description.

Oh, and before I forget, art dump.

EIOAWSSWwAAtHlN.jpg

EH-qQmHUwAAGoeu.png

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
If anything, the only thing to be concerned about is how many characters are left that even fit Mr. H and Milk-Bosatsu's mysterious female character description.

Oh, and before I forget, art dump.

Yeah, I'm still not understanding how the bird part could pertain to Shantae. A bird could be Wrench OR a yet-unseen Transformation Medal, though...

Like, what other gaming females have birds? It's not Nakoruru (unless that was an intentional mislead by their source). Roll and Beat, but that doesn't make sense because that's an alt move for Mega Man. Again, Sky and Wrench as a spirit. Who else major could this possibly be?

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm still not understanding how the bird part could pertain to Shantae. A bird could be Wrench OR a yet-unseen Transformation Medal, though...

Like, what other gaming females have birds? It's not Nakoruru (unless that was an intentional mislead by their source). Roll and Beat, but that doesn't make sense because that's an alt move for Mega Man. Again, Sky and Wrench as a spirit. Who else major could this possibly be?
I mean, who are the other large gaming females? Jill Valentine and Lara Croft. Since we already have Peach/Zelda/Samus/Bayo. Then there's Tracer, Morrigan, Arle, and Reimu. So unless Chun Li has a bird or something I cant think of anyone besides Shantae for important female characters. (Celeste?)

I mean, I know Ahri is a League rep contender, but the bird chick is Quinn whose certainly not in the top 20 champions.

Plus, we still dont have a banner buddy for Daisy. And I really only see Arle/Reimu being contenders for alternatives to Shantae to hip bump. Maybe Tracer. I'd suggest Dixie but I think she's too short to fit with Daisy's angle. Arguably Arle is kind of short too.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I suppose Carbuncle could have been mistaken for a bird or the term "bird" was used loosely.

Still, unofficial leaks aside, that bump could only be for Tracer or Shantae, and there's a Giga Lummox-load of bread crumbs for our genie girl.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Also, the character specifically looks like a fighting game character with clothing that somewhat looks Japanese, with M-B doubting that it's Reimu.

The description has been very oddly specific, all things considered.
Dead or Alive, Tekken, Tales Of, No More Heroes, Wonderful 101, Final Fantasy's chocobo, some other JRPG?

Chun-Li has the Spinning Bird Kick, but there's no flash of anything birdlike alongside it IIRC.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what's the status on the Shantae related rumors?

As for the whole Mai thing, I don't think the problem was the dress sense as much as it was the err... physics. Krystal wears less and she's bouncing around the battlefield no problem (apart from not being a fighter but that's another campaign)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So what's the status on the Shantae related rumors?

As for the whole Mai thing, I don't think the problem was the dress sense as much as it was the err... physics. Krystal wears less and she's bouncing around the battlefield no problem (apart from not being a fighter but that's another campaign)
Fur is kosher, as far as I'm concerned.

That said, there hasn't been any movement in weeks. November's looking to be a quiet month otherwise.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dead or Alive, Tekken, Tales Of, No More Heroes, Wonderful 101, Final Fantasy's chocobo, some other JRPG?

Chun-Li has the Spinning Bird Kick, but there's no flash of anything birdlike alongside it IIRC.
A female Monster Hunter with Nargacuga/Yukumo/Odogaron/Mizutsune armour with an Insect Glaive as a possible weapon?

Also, is Mai of all people going to become the new Ridley of Smash speculation?

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
A female Monster Hunter with Nargacuga/Yukumo/Odogaron/Mizutsune armour with an Insect Glaive as a possible weapon?
Well, that would explain everything but the "vaguely Japanese clothing." Looking at the Spirit, I really think that this leaker saw Nakoruru and thought that she was the fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, that would explain everything but the "vaguely Japanese clothing." Looking at the Spirit, I really think that this leaker saw Nakoruru and thought that she was the fighter.
This feels like "Vergeben's source saw the Cubivore pig and thought it was from Minecraft" all over again.

Speaking of him, he recently claimed that Scorpion isn't the fifth pass character, so that's a start, I guess.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Well, I'll let this image show here for Mai's absent appearence by Sakurai.
Though, I don't know who made it. So the artist name will help to give credit.
Here's a Post from the Newcomer/DLC Speculation thread.

The artists have gotten to work.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine the insanity of people reacting to Shantae bein the VGA reveal.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Also, is Mai of all people going to become the new Ridley of Smash speculation?
Unfortunately yes. People will take anything that could possibly be used as a disconformation and manipulate it to fit their vision as long as it doesn't hurt their character's chances of getting in. It always happens and it will never stop.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing for sure is, the next character will be someone that appeals more towards Western tastes if they are to be shown off at the VGAs. Shantae, Geno, Doom Slayer, doesn't matter. It needs to be someone that the West has some level of familiarity with, in hardcore circles or otherwise.

Unfortunately yes. People will take anything that could possibly be used as a disconformation and manipulate it to fit their vision as long as it doesn't hurt their character's chances of getting in. It always happens and it will never stop.
As expected, really. They'll keep moving goalposts until the end of time.

12_107900_728_1132.jpg

Mai is going to face one of the most tremendous challenges yet if CERO doesn't change its ways by Smash 6.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
This feels like "Vergeben's source saw the Cubivore pig and thought it was from Minecraft" all over again.

Speaking of him, he recently claimed that Scorpion isn't the fifth pass character, so that's a start, I guess.
That's the nature of leaks - who's to say the info is 100% reliable?

I'm really trying to imagine the scenario. I just don't see that being the time to say, "Oh, and here's Shantae" to be met with "...who?" online and in the applause/cheering. But then, I can't even tell you what scenario any character would be revealed as part of in the VGA setting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if Shantae had a back special like terry?

Top Bottom