• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Protoman or X make more sense as an echo (which is why I'm sure it would never happen) but they wouldn't be as fun if you ask me. And a Mega Man echo makes so much sense since she could have some of Rock's custom special moves that he doesn't use anymore, most notably Beat.
Protoman, yes, although I don't know if using the shield would be so different that it wouldn't make him an echo. Echo Fighters are very similar.
X wouldn't quite be an Echo only because of their size and proportion differences. Again, I'm not sure what the thresholds are on Echoes, but the size difference might make it necessary to change up X's moveset.

As for Spirits, that got me thinking. In WoL, the Spirits' effects are fairly representative of their character or home franchise, yes?
So ZSS has Shantae's Spirit. Part of the effects gives her a Killing Edge. "Well, that's to represent Shantae's hair. It glows purple." Shantae's hair isn't an item. And ZSS has a whip - Side B. If that were supposed to be Shantae's hair, the effect would just be "Increased Side Special Power."
So, the Killing Edge is representing Risky's Saber.
Using the HGH Shantae sprite. Why reference SatPC's saber at all if the visual is from HGH?

I played all the way through WoL, and not once did I see a Spirit's effects so far off-kilter from the source. Like this was some kind of workaround (for, in my mind, an obvious reason).

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So there's a new /v/ the Musical (VII), and it includes a song about Shantae.

Can't link it though. Rated L for Lewd.

Our Genie girl is also mentioned in "We Didn't Make The Roster" and "Banjo not in Smash Bros".

(Meme is an edit from the manga Quickstart a.k.a My Little Neckbeard. Somewhat popular on /tg/)

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Protoman, yes, although I don't know if using the shield would be so different that it wouldn't make him an echo. Echo Fighters are very similar.
X wouldn't quite be an Echo only because of their size and proportion differences. Again, I'm not sure what the thresholds are on Echoes, but the size difference might make it necessary to change up X's moveset.

As for Spirits, that got me thinking. In WoL, the Spirits' effects are fairly representative of their character or home franchise, yes?
So ZSS has Shantae's Spirit. Part of the effects gives her a Killing Edge. "Well, that's to represent Shantae's hair. It glows purple." Shantae's hair isn't an item. And ZSS has a whip - Side B. If that were supposed to be Shantae's hair, the effect would just be "Increased Side Special Power."
Using the HGH Shantae sprite. Why reference SatPC's saber at all if the visual is from HGH?

I played all the way through WoL, and not once did I see a Spirit's effects so far off-kilter from the source. Like this was some kind of workaround (for, in my mind, an obvious reason).
I kinda imagined that Proto's shield would just act like the Link shields. Just a passive block if the character isn't doing anything. As for X, I figured Marth and Lucina are different sizes and Roy and Chrom are different sizes so it wouldn't matter much, tho I guess the proportions being differnt could be enough to justify a Link vs Toon Link seperation.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I kinda imagined that Proto's shield would just act like the Link shields. Just a passive block if the character isn't doing anything. As for X, I figured Marth and Lucina are different sizes and Roy and Chrom are different sizes so it wouldn't matter much, tho I guess the proportions being differnt could be enough to justify a Link vs Toon Link seperation.
I'd think passive too, seeing as how that's how it functions in 7, 9, and 10 (and easy to program since the shielders already have it). But then if that's too OP, it could mean changes, and that may as well be a whole other character. Depends on balancing, really.
Edit: I actually like the idea of a "passive while jumping shield" that stops side and diagonal air attacks, for those that want their Smash a bit more grounded.

X is definitely taller than Mega Man. Not that height matters a lot in Smash, but it might be a significant issue when combined with X's slimmer and longer limbs.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So there's a new /v/ the Musical (VII), and it includes a song about Shantae.

Can't link it though. Rated L for Lewd.

Our Genie girl is also mentioned in "We Didn't Make The Roster" and "Banjo not in Smash Bros".

(Meme is an edit from the manga Quickstart a.k.a My Little Neckbeard. Somewhat popular on /tg/)
If anyone has eye bleach, I would like some, please!

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, another gag for people to use to trigger people and for laughs.

Honestly, I'm not triggered
On the inside, I'm screaming in flames.
Screenshot_20190929-114435_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

They used the HGH art because it's the most recent and recognizable look. The Pirate's Curse art would have ham-strung them into only putting references from that game; her transforming abilities are referenced by spawning those kinds of items in the battle, and her spirit effect being to boost magic attacks. It's not so much off-kilter as trying to cram as many references to well-known aspects of Shantae's playability into her spirit as possible (don't forget the pistol!).

You may have noticed running into similar issues when trying to speculate a moveset for her.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
They used the HGH art because it's the most recent and recognizable look. The Pirate's Curse art would have ham-strung them into only putting references from that game; her transforming abilities are referenced by spawning those kinds of items in the battle, and her spirit effect being to boost magic attacks. It's not so much off-kilter as trying to cram as many references to well-known aspects of Shantae's playability into her spirit as possible (don't forget the pistol!).
That's why I bring up ZSS Side-B, because it completely shreds this. Now ZSS has the whip and the sword and the pistol - they should be using SatPC's art. Had some run-in with Inticreates? Boy, I doubt that given Blaster Master Zero.

There are lots of other characters with varied movesets over X or Y games and they didn't "cram" like this one. Why confuse people new to her and/or Smash as to who/what Shantae is by giving her a sword??? Something just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know why you guys even keep going to /v/ like moths to a flame, the last thing they do there is actually talk about games. Place is so messed-up that /m/ is actually a better option to talk about games, let alone look for semi-credible rumors.

That's why I bring up ZSS Side-B, because it completely shreds this. Now ZSS has the whip and the sword and the pistol - they should be using SatPC's art. Had some run-in with Inticreates? Boy, I doubt that given Blaster Master Zero.

There are lots of other characters with varied movesets over X or Y games and they didn't "cram" like this one. Why confuse people new to her and/or Smash as to who/what Shantae is by giving her a sword??? Something just doesn't add up.
Why does this remind me of the "4 :ultness:es represent Ninten's 4th-D Slip" theory?

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why you guys even keep going to /v/ like moths to a flame, the last thing they do there is actually talk about games. Place is so messed-up that /m/ is actually a better option to talk about games, let alone look for semi-credible rumors.

Why does this remind me of the "4 :ultness:es represent Ninten's 4th-D Slip" theory?
I haven't been there with my tripcode for over 2 years, now. I'm surprised it's still standing. Shame too, because the rare "hidden gem" threads where nuance and appreciation of taste/excellence in gaming history were absolute joys to take part in and usually hammered out some objectively great sequel ideas, critiques, edits, and improvements.

I actually haven't heard of that theory. Ideally, Ninten would make it for the same reasons as Bandana Waddle Dee, Peppy/Slippy, and maybe even Hades - completeness. (I'm sure there are other examples.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Well, you keep panicking over new fans not being able to properly pick up the references from a whopping four games (although it's more like two considering how much more the latter part gets pushed over the first), and I'll just sit here and marvel at the possibility of wielding pirate gear and magic in tandem. Certainly this makes for a more effective and usable spirit than splitting her up for the sake of "consistency" would.

1 Ace is easily worth more than 2 Advanced in my book, especially since a fully-leveled Ace is quite capable of taking on Legends.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Well, you keep panicking over new fans not being able to properly pick up the references from a whopping four games (although it's more like two considering how much more the latter part gets pushed over the first), and I'll just sit here and marvel at the possibility of wielding pirate gear and magic in tandem. Certainly this makes for a more effective and usable spirit than splitting her up for the sake of "consistency" would.

1 Ace is easily worth more than 2 Advanced in my book, especially since a fully-leveled Ace is quite capable of taking on Legends.
4 indie games. The target market absolutely scratched their heads at Terry Bogard. Bomberman less so, but enough to be noticeable. I dare say that they only knew of Banjo-Kazooie because of JonTron and other e-Celebs.

Also, Yoshi/Jigglypuff/Pichu/Olimar would break any kind of "Ace/Legend/etc." analysis, so I wouldn't even go by that.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
4 indie games. The target market absolutely scratched their heads at Terry Bogard. Bomberman less so, but enough to be noticeable. I dare say that they only knew of Banjo-Kazooie because of JonTron and other e-Celebs.

Also, Yoshi/Jigglypuff/Pichu/Olimar would break any kind of "Ace/Legend/etc." analysis, so I wouldn't even go by that.
The part about Banjo might be truer than I like to admit. The first thing my 13 and 8 year old cousins said to me when I saw them after the reveal was "I can't believe a meme character got in"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It doesn't really matter if someone knows anything at all about the character going in or not. I might buy the confusion if the game with pirate gear was an obscure one in a line of many with few sales, but Pirate's Curse is one of the most likely games to be found in a blind search due to it's success, same with Half-Genie Hero which is all about the transformations.

I'm not looking at lore for Spirit rank for the most part, but gameplay. Or more specifically, difficulty. A Pirate's Curse-focused Shantae would literally just be ZSS with a sword, and it's not like there's grounds to just inflate her stats like other characters noted to be extremely powerful, and normal Shantae would just have the transformative items. How do either of these warrant a fight more than two stars in difficulty?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The only meme characters were Goku and Shrek.
I would add Waluigi to that list. Not because he isn't a legit request like the other two, but because from whit I've seen of his support most the qualities that people like about him aren't things from his source materiel, but things fans and meme culture has attached to him. Sadly, Waluigi doesn't have much official characterization. He know he hates Luigi (but we don't know why) we know he has a crush on Daisy (and who doesn't?) and we know he has something between a working relationship to a friendship with Wario.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And yet, we both drew opposite yet equally valid viewpoints.

Although, mentioning so many indie collaborations with bigger companies on that page makes me wonder how long it'll take for Shantae to do the same.
Yeah, as far as we've seen the property has stuck to indies (and Inti Creates) so far. Maybe once WF are sure to be financially stable enough to pull off such a risk, depending on the series they choose to work with.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Cristina Vee is taunting us again by bringing up on her twitter how she tweeted she was in a big game and we all thought it was Smash when it was actually Fortnite. She laughs at us.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Cristina Vee is taunting us again by bringing up on her twitter how she tweeted she was in a big game and we all thought it was Smash when it was actually Fortnite. She laughs at us.
No. She specifically states in her subsequent tweet that Smash is also a dream project of hers. Which doesn't bode well for Shantae, actually, because it might mean she's not planned at all right now :(

Cristina has always had a very wry sense of humor, you get used to it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No. She specifically states in her subsequent tweet that Smash is also a dream project of hers. Which doesn't bode well for Shantae, actually, because it might mean she's not planned at all right now :(

What tweet is this? Also remember. Grant kirkhope said basically the same thing while he was working on banjo music for smash.

So the guy that does low poly art posted some more shantae stuff, with risky boots. Matt bozon liked them alot it seems.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

You know they can just rip Shantae's voiced lines, of which there is no shortage, from her games and not have to contract Vee short of putting her name in the credits maybe?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, that's up to WF to decide that. Besides, we still haven't known what is the Seven Sirens Release Date yet.

Also, I think all speculation on Smash DLC whether its true or not as it continues, its making us going crazy even for some jokes that appear.
Screenshot_20191022-090827_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Fortnite is not even the "impossible" thing since again with her track record of being a VA we should expect that she would be part of Fortnite somehow.

Dukefire

Smash Master
She is willing to play the part if the other game companies do allow it. Plus, she is going to voice act a character in RWBY. Don't know when, but her statement is there.

Its been a while, but here is a shantae artwork for today
Artist: JaysonBlade
shantae_inspired_by_jaysonblade_ddilkib-pre.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Doesnt Cristina tweeting She's crossing her fingers for Smash" mean it has yet to be discussed Shantae for DLC?

D

Deleted member

Doesnt Cristina tweeting She's crossing her fingers for Smash" mean it has yet to be discussed Shantae for DLC?
Guys please don’t take this as a bad thing

Talking about smash nether confirms or disconfirms a character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guys please don’t take this as a bad thing

Talking about smash nether confirms or disconfirms a character
Yeah, I mean everyone's under an NDA, from devs, to VAs, to leakers. They can say everything about Smash as long as it's not about a real forthcoming character reveal. Otherwise, they either gotta hide it or outright lie.

And this DLC cycle's going to be a long one, so they'll have to keep it up as long as humanly possible.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, at this point we can't really takes tweets to mean much. We outright had Grant Kirkhope telling us not to get our hopes up for Banjo and Kazooie only to have them revealed shortly after. He could have easily said nothing and waited for the reveal, but he decided to go the other way around instead.

The important thing is not to spam anyone. The Smash fans have already annoyed Christina before, so it's best to keep all our speculation to ourselves and not read too much into what anyone says online.

Top Bottom