• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As for him being the "last of the classic NES characters" no there are still plenty other characters that had a very successful run on NES that aren't in the game yet. The mentioned Contra Boys and Bub & Bob, tho I would say Master Higgins is worth mentioning as well. He had plenty of games on the NES and SNES and unlike other 3rd party characters, it's worth remembering that Master Higgins was made for Nintendo. He as a character was created specifically so Hudson could put the Wonder Boy games on Nintendo consoles.
YES.

With Bomberman being an AT, he can still be on the table, since there's currently no other Konami-owned Hudson content in the game.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
YES.

With Bomberman being an AT, he can still be on the table, since there's currently no other Konami-owned Hudson content in the game.
I'd like to believe that, but Konami barely cares about their own properties these days, much less the ones they acquired when Hudson went under. Sadly the Adventure Island series seems as extinct as the dinosuars Higgins used to ride around on.

However when subject of who I would LIKE to get in beyond who I think will get in, I will never hesitate to bring up that wonderful, pudgy cave man.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I don't see it happening either as he is already an assist. My point was simply that Skull Kid being a fighter makes just as much if not more sense than Ryu, which was the counter to what you said.

As for him being the "last of the classic NES characters" no there are still plenty other characters that had a very successful run on NES that aren't in the game yet. The mentioned Contra Boys and Bub & Bob, tho I would say Master Higgins is worth mentioning as well. He had plenty of games on the NES and SNES and unlike other 3rd party characters, it's worth remembering that Master Higgins was made for Nintendo. He as a character was created specifically so Hudson could put the Wonder Boy games on Nintendo consoles.
So I'm still totally at a loss on the Hayabusa fans' definition of "classic," and I don't think that there is a concrete one, and I'm just fine leaving it at that.

As for Ryu Hayabusa v. Skull Kid, the Ninja Gaiden series has spanned a long stretch of time. Not only this, its later incarnations were action games that rivaled DMC and Bayonetta (and the difficulty in an action setting paved the way for Souls-likes and such).
Skull Kid was a major player in one game and minor in two games. Not to mention First-Party (though that rule could be far more easily broken than Spirits and such).

EDIT: And how Bomberman isn't already a *BOMB*ing fighter, I just don't know. The kids these days are a tad more familiar with Bomberman than Banjo-Kazooie. Shantae's about as obscure as both of them (as hard as that is for me to say).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd like to believe that, but Konami barely cares about their own properties these days, much less the ones they acquired when Hudson went under. Sadly the Adventure Island series seems as extinct as the dinosuars Higgins used to ride around on.

However when subject of who I would LIKE to get in beyond who I think will get in, I will never hesitate to bring up that wonderful, pudgy cave man.
There's probably an underground movement for the guy to get in Smash. Then again, the thread we got for him is dormant like a fossil, and most people just bring up Bomberman as the only Hudson character to support anyway, especially since they beg for him to be "promoted" right away. And yet Princess Tomato still managed to get in Super Bomberman R somehow.

At least it's good to see another of the scant fans of him around here.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
There's probably an underground movement for the guy to get in Smash. Then again, the thread we got for him is dormant like a fossil, and most people just bring up Bomberman as the only Hudson character to support anyway, especially since they beg for him to be "promoted" right away. And yet Princess Tomato still managed to get in Super Bomberman R somehow.

At least it's good to see another of the scant fans of him around here.
What can I say? Adventute Island is one of those games that seems tailor made for me to love it. Who doesn't want to like in a world were you eat fruits, ride dinos and save your cute Polynesian girlfriend from aliens?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Something "4Smash accounts spamming him and Sakurai" something "he's going to snitch about it to Sakurai" something "and stop certain characters from getting in" something.
But who is he? I assume by the user name he works on the Tekken games?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People who believe their characters will get deconfirmed because of that incident haven't the slightest clue how game dev works. It's not as simple as "delete, move to the bin".

Uh oh.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...er_use_google_translate_to_localise_your_game

I guess something had to give somewhere in Wayforward's current staff.
This gives more credence to my theory about them doing the small stuff quickly to make the nebulous street date of TBA 2019. Pray that they got something more professional for the Japanese version...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People who believe their characters will get deconfirmed because of that incident haven't the slightest clue how game dev works. It's not as simple as "delete, move to the bin".

This gives more credence to my theory about them doing the small stuff quickly to make the nebulous street date of TBA 2019. Pray that they got something more professional for the Japanese version...
Never heard of any problems with Japanese Half-Genie Hero or anything else so it should be fine.
Although imagine if Wayforward noticed this enough to make updating Shantae's CV a legit option in a later game, as a joke if nothing else.

Every company has their quirks, and I suppose "poor localization" is far from one of the worst you can have.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, many people would panic if that seleceted character's company is going down from any problem. Near and far away around the world regarding if its big or small.
Screenshot_20190819-095219_YouTube.jpg

Though, it doesn't mean they are out for smash. What has the community turned up to be after Smash 4?

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Of course, many people would panic if that seleceted character's company is going down from any problem. Near and far away around the world regarding if its big or small.

Though, it doesn't mean they are out for smash. What has the community turned up to be after Smash 4?
Well, when the character additions are pretty much the only exciting part about your game...

Everybody being viable is great. WoL memes lasted long enough. But exciting? That's just the third-party DLC additions. And this is the game to do it, by all means. But, the next Smash is going to need revamping - gameplay, features, roster, everything. This will probably occur naturally because Nintendo will probably scale back the scope and cost, anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, when the character additions are pretty much the only exciting part about your game...

Everybody being viable is great. WoL memes lasted long enough. But exciting? That's just the third-party DLC additions. And this is the game to do it, by all means. But, the next Smash is going to need revamping - gameplay, features, roster, everything. This will probably occur naturally because Nintendo will probably scale back the scope and cost, anyway.
Which is why Sakurai is going all out for this installment since this is the ONLY time this many characters and worlds are gathered in one place.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Which is why Sakurai is going all out for this installment since this is the ONLY time this many characters and worlds are gathered in one place.
Agreed. Off the top of my head, the only time where there might be more worlds is something like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

And can we get one of those worlds to be Sequin Land, already?! Lol

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Never heard of any problems with Japanese Half-Genie Hero or anything else so it should be fine.
Although imagine if Wayforward noticed this enough to make updating Shantae's CV a legit option in a later game, as a joke if nothing else.

Every company has their quirks, and I suppose "poor localization" is far from one of the worst you can have.
Not to knock on WayForward's door, but that's mainly because they aim for the Japanese and Americans, and thus would be more worth getting a local translator to nail the localization efforts in Japan. I won't knock on them any harder, since I do accept that they're still relatively tiny compared to the other companies out there and they may have a tight budget, though they should see if they can find someone within the California/Northwestern Coastal area if they speak a particular language (like Italian) before going with Google Translate. It might be a few thousand dollars more, though it'll be something to give the game extra polish. This might be the opportunity Shantae has to break into Europe for real.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Considering how much trouble she has keeping her usual job, that seems likely.

HGH was already multi-plat - does Apple Arcade have that much impact in Europe?
(Given the mobile gaming/Apple merch we see coming out of Japan, I know that answer.)
Not if you're in Belgium; the minute you have lootboxes, you're out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, if this is anything to go by, sometimes it pays to focus your efforts in known successes so that others may grow:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...successes_of_resident_evil_and_monster_hunter

Even companies bigger than indies can be constrained by budget.
Meanwhile indies continue to feel like doing whatever they want, even if it seems like they can mostly just rely on expanding their mascot series for original IPs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ario_kart-like_racer_or_splatoon-like_shooter

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I want to believe that maybe they are considering giving Darkstalkers another chance, but I doubt they are...
Well, not to pick at another game's shortcomings, but if there ever was a good time for a Darkstalkers revival, it's one where Street Fighter no longer holds quite as much of a stranglehold in the fighting game department as it once was, nor is it holding Capcom's fate in it's hands.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, not to pick at another game's shortcomings, but if there ever was a good time for a Darkstalkers revival, it's one where Street Fighter no longer holds quite as much of a stranglehold in the fighting game department as it once was, nor is it holding Capcom's fate in it's hands.
See a new Darkstalkers would be a great way for Capcom to do something drastically different than it's fighting game competition. Most all fighting games right now are just martial artists against martial artist. But Darkstalkers could be so different with all the crazy unique moves that all these different monsters can do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
See a new Darkstalkers would be a great way for Capcom to do something drastically different than it's fighting game competition. Most all fighting games right now are just martial artists against martial artist. But Darkstalkers could be so different with all the crazy unique moves that all these different monsters can do.
Not to mention that it hasn't had newcomers in years. With all the cultural and pop culture knowledge having expanded since the 90s, the opportunity for DS to come back with some fresh faces is much more ripe than ever.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Um, that's fine and all, but Skullgirls 2nd Encore is getting released on Switch soon and a new League of Legends fighting game seems to be in the works. I don't think there's a shortage of non-martial arts based fighting games if you know where to look.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Going through my YouTube "Watch Later" playlist for a purge (it has over 4000 videos there).

Found some Shantae music.

D

Deleted member

There’s somthing that confuses me
Before June begain there was this spirit event called super smash sisters which included most of the major female characters from their series and peachette but the thing that bugs me is that shantae Wasn't in the event she would be like the best out of all of them. whys that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Before June begain there was this spirit event called super smash sisters which included most of the major female characters from their series and peachette but the thing that bugs me is that shantae Wasn't in the event she would be like the best out of all of them. whys that?
Because the spirits team isn't that competent. It's likely that she was forgotten about.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, spirits events isn't much to look at. I guess this is one of the reason against spirit characters. Not a lot care for spirits. Well, that and some still do it as a gag to laugh at.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
As much as i love Roll Casket, classic Roll would of made more sense.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
As much as i love Roll Casket, classic Roll would of made more sense.
I love Roll in any form. I always hoped she could have been added as a kind of echo of Mega Man (Tho I suppose seeing her hand turn into a mega buster would have looked a bit odd)

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I love Roll in any form. I always hoped she could have been added as a kind of echo of Mega Man (Tho I suppose seeing her hand turn into a mega buster would have looked a bit odd)
Having Roll's Smash Attack Charge Shot be orange in color, a wider shot, do less damage, and have more K.O.-potential in greater knockback would homage MvsC and I think would be a very welcomed strategy choice for a Mega Man echo.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Having Roll's Smash Attack Charge Shot be orange in color, a wider shot, do less damage, and have more K.O.-potential in greater knockback would homage MvsC and I think would be a very welcomed strategy choice for a Mega Man echo.
I mean, Protoman or X make more sense as an echo (which is why I'm sure it would never happen) but they wouldn't be as fun if you ask me. And a Mega Man echo makes so much sense since she could have some of Rock's custom special moves that he doesn't use anymore, most notably Beat.

Top Bottom