• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, at this point, anything goes with Smash Ultimate's information sealed tightly away with few to no leaks.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys been awhile, but i guess i haven't missed much.

So our Shantae girl Christina vee put out a new cover song... her singing a rock remix of lifelight from smash ultimate. Coincidence, or hint, you decide :p

This is really good! Props to Cristina! You know what's funny? Prior to Abby Trott revealing to us that SHE sung the English version of Lifelight, I legit considered Cristina to be one of two possible candidates to have been Lifelight's singer. The other was Azura's VA.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Props also to Richaadeb for a stunningly-balanced metal rendition! Very music video-esque visual accompaniment that was definitely made for a range of audiences. Strange that it also had a Japanese version. Good time to be a game musician on YouTube, as FamilyJules got to collab with Grant Kirkhope on BK1's Gruntilda Battle!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OK, so, kind of big Indivisible ending spoilers...

There's an ending picture after the credits (dunno if there's requirements to be met) that shows what appears to be a reincarnated Ajna? Kala? with purple hair and on a beach setting. Very Shantae-esque.

Without saying any more about Ajna's character, I find that she and Shantae have a lot of common ground. I hope they have interesting dialogue for these guest characters outside of the circumstances where they're recruited...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
OK, so, kind of big Indivisible ending spoilers...

There's an ending picture after the credits (dunno if there's requirements to be met) that shows what appears to be a reincarnated Ajna? Kala? with purple hair and on a beach setting. Very Shantae-esque.

Without saying any more about Ajna's character, I find that she and Shantae have a lot of common ground. I hope they have interesting dialogue for these guest characters outside of the circumstances where they're recruited...
So, the suggestion is that Shantae and maybe the other characters who come in on Indivisible are more like New Game+ Incarnations? Hey, that's one way to have people work for the content. :p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So unrelated but interesting given it sort of relates to Shantae being indie
https://touhougarakuta.com/interview/specialtaidan_zun_hiroyuki_10
>In addition, I would like characters from Touhou to appear in other games so Touhou can become more recognized. Naturally, I want them to appear in Smash Bros. (laughs) But that's something that I can't make happen by just thinking about it.

This is the first time I believe ZUN himself as spoken on Smash Bros in regards to Touhou. This does seem to deconfirm for the current pass, but given Reimu's growing support and Touhou massive popularity in Japan and to an extent other places She's got a damn good chance depending on how long DLC talks go on for.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
So unrelated but interesting given it sort of relates to Shantae being indie
https://touhougarakuta.com/interview/specialtaidan_zun_hiroyuki_10
>In addition, I would like characters from Touhou to appear in other games so Touhou can become more recognized. Naturally, I want them to appear in Smash Bros. (laughs) But that's something that I can't make happen by just thinking about it.

This is the first time I believe ZUN himself as spoken on Smash Bros in regards to Touhou. This does seem to deconfirm for the current pass, but given Reimu's growing support and Touhou massive popularity in Japan and to an extent other places She's got a damn good chance depending on how long DLC talks go on for.
Be careful about what you say, because he could potentially be one with an NDA and that this is more to get people hyped for getting Reimu as a DLC Character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think it more to post fighter pass DLC rather then fighters pass itself.

Still, highly contested for now with November coming closer each day for a Nintendo Direct

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Be careful about what you say, because he could potentially be one with an NDA and that this is more to get people hyped for getting Reimu as a DLC Character.
Not to mention that most of the franchise is out of his hands, at least as far as the console spin-offs are concerned.

His statement is along the lines of Suda continuing to fight hard for NMH to reach the mainstream, in the hopes that Travis will be worthy for Smash someday.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm tired of trying to get hints out of these dev comments related to Smash. They've never amounted to anything, besides those that just say no.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm tired of trying to get hints out of these dev comments related to Smash. They've never amounted to anything, besides those that just say no.
Although there is merit in never taking anything for granted with them again after Grant basically kept the cat in the bag in regards to BK.

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/1138514453006172160

The closest thing we got to a supposed hint so far is that "Oh yeah" comment in regards to Bethesda's VP responding to a query about his company talking to Ninty about Smash.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._bros_future_nintendo_exclusives_are_possible

What is certain is that absolutely everyone is in a "can't confirm nor deny" situation in regards to anyone being playable. Yacht Club are pretty much the only ones open about their character not being playable in any capacity so far.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pretty much me while the flame's intensity is increasing as days pass.
Screenshot_20191005-120436_YouTube.jpg

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Oh hello there, a fan orchestra/clarinet choir with some Shantae music.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Sakurai with Assist Trophies: If the character had no time or no moveset, but they are very influential, then they could have been able to be fighters given more time.
Sakurai with Spirits: If we had infinite time, money, monkeys on typewriters, and immortality, we will make sure most of them will be in the game as fighters.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sakurai with Assist Trophies: If the character had no time or no moveset, but they are very influential, then they could have been able to be fighters given more time.
Sakurai with Spirits: If we had infinite time, money, monkeys on typewriters, and immortality, we will make sure most of them will be in the game as fighters.
Well with Spirits we know that they are just trophy replacements and doesn't take that much time to make. Like what happened with Mewtwo and Lucas the case for Shantae is still up in the air.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well with Spirits we know that they are just trophy replacements and doesn't take that much time to make. Like what happened with Mewtwo and Lucas the case for Shantae is still up in the air.
Yeah, the only things preventing some characters to get in as spirits are licensing issues (i.e. Pro Wrestling), third-party series/companies not being involved yet, DLC spirit board limitations, and the apparent inability for the Spirits Team to find usable artwork.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Does anyone here keep track of leaks if they have Shantae mentioned in them as dlc for Smash? Even text leaks from gamefaqs and 4chan?

I know most of em are fake, but I like to screencap all of them just on the off off off chance that any of them are legit. I look to see the earliest thing I could see confirmed in the leak.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Does anyone here keep track of leaks if they have Shantae mentioned in them as dlc for Smash? Even text leaks from gamefaqs and 4chan?

I know most of em are fake, but I like to screencap all of them just on the off off off chance that any of them are legit. I look to see the earliest thing I could see confirmed in the leak.
There hasn't been a lot of leaks on bring up shantae (big or small) for smash with the Fighters Pass about to wrap up with the final challenger being revealed soon after Terry. 4chan and Gamefaq.......I have not seen any potential info so far other then people continuously bashing her as a gag.

Also, smash leaks for other characters are mostly fake with some looking legit.

Again, wait for official Nintendo news and when WF is ready to show more information about the Seven Sirens. I will say that more info is coming on the final two months of the year.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
In the meantime, PapaGeno's on YouTube does the best about sifting through the leaks, IMO. But again, these leaks, they're just not terribly reliable. Joker and Terry absolutely shredded so many of them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the meantime, PapaGeno's on YouTube does the best about sifting through the leaks, IMO. But again, these leaks, they're just not terribly reliable. Joker and Terry absolutely shredded so many of them.
Yeah, only noteworthy folks with credibility are Sabi, Tansut and Verge (sometimes). And even then they can still be blindsided by unforeseen factors, and the truest leaks typically happen near the launch of Ultimate news anyway.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Some people are going nuts over the Fortnite Black Hole thing.
Mainly because some people think it'll morph into a Smash Ball.
"Morph into a Smash Ball"
L-O-L. No, it's just their blackout before the new season/sequel.

...but you know, I wouldn't mind Up or Down Taunt becoming the Default Dance for every fighter.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Oh sweet Primus and:ultpalutena:, no.

...but you know, I wouldn't mind Up or Down Taunt becoming the Default Dance for every fighter.
I’m with KingBowser86 KingBowser86 on this one. No mountains from molehills today, folks.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anything whether its intentional or accidental, anything that looks like something towards smash will get a lot of people fueled with hype.

That also tells how popular smash is for more fighters coming after fighters pass.
As the saying goes:
EVERYONE IS HERE

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I’m with KingBowser86 KingBowser86 on this one. No mountains from molehills today, folks.
Anything whether its intentional or accidental, anything that looks like something towards smash will get a lot of people fueled with hype.

That also tells how popular smash is for more fighters coming after fighters pass.
As the saying goes:
EVERYONE IS HERE
Forget the damn implosion, you can apparently play Space Invaders if you input the Konami Code while that black hole's on.

Anyway, a possible rebranding into Fortnite: Chapter 2 is the only leak/rumor that sprung up, and some weird numbers are popping up, so there's a 0% chance it has anything to do with Smash. Meanwhile, people's concern about really being the end for Fortnite is this:

I would have posted the "WHY ARE WE STILL HERE" meme, but wasn't sure if it's appropriate.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think for the black hole event fortnite fans are stuck with. I think its going to move to the next one by phasing in like this:

D

Deleted member

I doubt he’s under an nda from how the way he said “I want them to appear in more games”
As for smash it seems he’s open to the idea

Sakurai would talk to zun first If he wants touhou in smash so This pretty much leaves her out of the running

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah sure, let's either completely steal Terry's thunder or force Fortnite players to wait until November to play again.
I mean, it doesn't make any sense. It would require Fortnite somehow morphing into Smash Bros. Ultimate for a few months.

Epic Games does big publicity stunts, but not that big. It's like the crying wolf for Steve during Minecraft/Mircosoft events all over again.

I doubt he’s under an nda from how the way he said “I want them to appear in more games”
As for smash it seems he’s open to the idea

Sakurai would talk to zun first If he wants touhou in smash so This pretty much leaves her out of the running
So, going by that, it just leaves Pocky and Sakura Shinguji as ones that would logically fit the description of "female character with flying projectile that looks like a fighting game character" provided by Milk-Bosatsu and Mr. H.

Last edited:

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
The common theory about vergeben is that he's not a single person but a collective of people in a trenchcoat that finds a ton of credible leaks.

also a question from me, what number do you think shantae will be when she gets in?

D

Deleted member

I mean, it doesn't make any sense. It would require Fortnite somehow morphing into Smash Bros. Ultimate for a few months.

Epic Games does big publicity stunts, but not that big. It's like the crying wolf for Steve during Minecraft/Mircosoft events all over again.

So, going by that, it just leaves Pocky and Sakura Shinguji as ones that would logically fit the description of "female character with flying projectile that looks like a fighting game character" provided by Milk-Bosatsu and Mr. H.
I don’t think it would be pocky.

Sakura fits this but I’m skeptical of her being 5 due to having a sega rep in this pass (atlus is a parent company of sega it’s also listed down on jokers copyright portion in his challenger pack page in the news icon when he came out) but we’ll see what happens.

Either way it would either be shantae or Sakura possibly

Last edited by a moderator:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
also a question from me, what number do you think shantae will be when she gets in?
5th Shantae game, 5th Smash game, unknown 5th fighter, Shantae's hair the shape of the number 5 that one time, the 4th out of 5 joke from Matt that for all we know could've been meant to throw us off if she became the 5th out of 5, and the Switch being the 5th Nintendo platform Shantae's appeared on. So hopefully 5.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Not sure what's meant by "flying projectile," but Carol Eugene fits all the bills and the ST's Falcon and Tornado move much like the Vifram toy. Sakura's mech is rather stout.

75, baby! Save for Kazooie, FP1 has been a sausage fest. No judgment, mind you, just makes sense to break it up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the 80s? I dunno, I'd rather not answer seriously since I'm terrible at predictions for this game.

Not sure what's meant by "flying projectile," but Carol Eugene fits all the bills and the ST's Falcon and Tornado move much like the Vifram toy. Sakura's mech is rather stout..
Still no Japanese clothing, though. :drshrug:

Mr. H confuses me, is he trying not to get ninja'ed? Otherwise there's no reason to be so vague about this, clearly even a rough early 3D model would provide some sort of clue in regards to the character's identity if he did indeed see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom