• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Project X Zone could if they allowed Nintendo universes to join...
Didn't the sequel have Chrom,Lucina,and Tiki from Fire Emblem in it as well as Shulk and Fiora from Xenoblade?
So technically there were nintendo universes joining it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Project X Zone could if they allowed Nintendo universes to join...
And cartoony characters. :4pacman: People worried about too many anime characters in Smash should LOOK at those games.

But seriously, FE and XB get a pass in that series (the latter because lel Monolith Soft), but not even Zelda?

Having our lord and savior Segata Sanshiro was still worth it though.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll leave this artwork for tonight. This one was made after the news of more DLC fighters coming soon after the Fighters Pass.

Artist: TaylorSwitch64
More_Western_DLC_Fighters._by_TaylorSwitch64.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Didn't the sequel have Chrom,Lucina,and Tiki from Fire Emblem in it as well as Shulk and Fiora from Xenoblade?
So technically there were nintendo universes joining it.
You know what I mean! Those were the exceptions, not the norm. To be fair though, the final battle had one major boss from each company, even guest Nintendo through Metal Face.

And cartoony characters. :4pacman: People worried about too many anime characters in Smash should LOOK at those games.

But seriously, FE and XB get a pass in that series (the latter because lel Monolith Soft), but not even Zelda?

Having our lord and savior Segata Sanshiro was still worth it though.
Problem with Zelda is you gotta have Link, and the problem with Link is that he doesn't talk, limiting the potential for interaction. Though there may some hope for BOTW Link who actually has a defined personality to work with, and actual justification for his silence that he can move past.

Funny you mention Pac-Man, because Tarosuke was playable in Namco X Capcom (don't ask why they did what they did with Dig-Dug protagonist), cameos in X Zone 2 despite still being anime cartoony, and his game's retro medley isn't in Ultimate for some reason :(.

I could have sworn Tiki made a small cameo in the game.I thought Shulk did too but I might be remembering wrong.
Tiki shows up both times we visit the Awakening-verse, one of these is the opening where she speaks with Valkyrie. Shulk is only mentioned by Fiora.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
You know what I mean! Those were the exceptions, not the norm. To be fair though, the final battle had one major boss from each company, even guest Nintendo through Metal Face.

Problem with Zelda is you gotta have Link, and the problem with Link is that he doesn't talk, limiting the potential for interaction. Though there may some hope for BOTW Link who actually has a defined personality to work with, and actual justification for his silence that he can move past.

Funny you mention Pac-Man, because Tarosuke was playable in Namco X Capcom (don't ask why they did what they did with Dig-Dug protagonist), cameos in X Zone 2 despite still being anime cartoony, and his game's retro medley isn't in Ultimate for some reason :(.

Tiki shows up both times we visit the Awakening-verse, one of these is the opening where she speaks with Valkyrie. Shulk is only mentioned by Fiora.
tbh the justification for Links silence is dumb as hell.Link has never been a silent character to begin with.He's pretty much always had dialogue that was at least implied and in wind wakers case actually had voiced lines.FFS Ocarina of time straight up had simplistic dialogue trees.
I'm 90% sure that one throwaway line in Zelda's diary was just to shut up memelords on social media.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
tbh the justification for Links silence is dumb as hell.Link has never been a silent character to begin with.He's pretty much always had dialogue that was at least implied and in wind wakers case actually had voiced lines.FFS Ocarina of time straight up had simplistic dialogue trees.
I'm 90% sure that one throwaway line in Zelda's diary was just to shut up memelords on social media.
Well, for BotW they probably felt a need to explain him not choosing to talk much since there were so many cutscenes all with voice acting. It's also the same reason why for the first time in so long that you couldn't name Link whatever you wanted, since the actors needed a name to call him in the scenes

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Well, for BotW they probably felt a need to explain him not choosing to talk much since there were so many cutscenes all with voice acting. It's also the same reason why for the first time in so long that you couldn't name Link whatever you wanted, since the actors needed a name to call him in the scenes
Probably the reason,yeah.Just pointing out that the "Link can't talk" meme isn't really a valid reason he can't have dialogue in a spinoff since it's never really had much basis in reality for most of the series.Hell,he already has spoken dialogue in the Akira Himekawa mangas already.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the countdown begins.

I have no idea if Seven Sirens will even be shown off there, but this is where everything will go down for the final character in the current pass.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice

I have no idea if Seven Sirens will even be shown off there, but this is where everything will go down for the final character in the current pass.
I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't out by then tbh.If it isn't I could maybe see a short trailer being shown.
As for the final fighter I'd be surprised if it was shown there since every time a fighter is released they almost immediately announce a new character in order to keep smash on peoples minds by moving the goalpost.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't out by then tbh.If it isn't I could maybe see a short trailer being shown.
As for the final fighter I'd be surprised if it was shown there since every time a fighter is released they almost immediately announce a new character in order to keep smash on peoples minds by moving the goalpost.
Keep in mind, after Joker was released, Hero and BK didn't get announced until E3.

There might be a two-fer this time though. Bonus points if number 5 is announced real early into the event, seeing as the fighter pass will be closed off with their inclusion.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though the question is,

Would nintendo reveal the last challenger for the fighters pass after Terry in November or at the Game Awards?

Plus I doubt that the Seven Sirens might appear at The Game Awards since that Ad is all up to WayForward if they are ready to make the next big step. Also, expect another opening for shantae during the Anime Movie Promare next tuesday and Thursday.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Though the question is,

Would nintendo reveal the last challenger for the fighters pass after Terry in November or at the Game Awards?
Latter. Going by experience, neither :ultjoker: nor :ulthero: had character announcements during their gameplay showcases. Plus Nintendo's game schedule is seemingly set for the rest of the year, so we can't expect a Direct either.

Besides, Ultimate is eligible for winning an award this year, so it'd be a wasted opportunity not to announce someone new during the event.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Latter. Going by experience, neither :ultjoker: nor :ulthero: had character announcements during their gameplay showcases. Plus Nintendo's game schedule is seemingly set for the rest of the year, so we can't expect a Direct either.

Besides, Ultimate is eligible for winning an award this year, so it'd be a wasted opportunity not to announce someone new during the event.
True, but I do know that nintendo will give another direct probably in November to wrap up the games this year before Next Year rolls around.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, plenty of Speculations and Leak talk for Smash Ultimate is starting to spill over with 2019 closing up and VGA slowly arriving.

And (while one of the video was shown previously) this shows about Nintendo's status of surprises for Ultimate with more DLC after Fighters Pass challenger 5
Fans:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

So ot sounds like Sakurai plans to just keep making dlc fighters forever almost. Hes not working on any other games, and is happy just making foghters just to see how far he can push this limit
That's like the millionth time GameXplain has reuse that thumbnail with Sakurai on it lol!

Holy ****! I just realize it's almost been a year since Joker was first announced for the Season Pass.

But back to the topic at hand: I think it's possible fighter #5 will be shown off before the VGA in a Smash or Nintendo Direct in November, probably a Smash Direct. I could them showning off Terry's full gameplay mechanics, his stage, ect as well as fighter #5 and the first DLC character outside of the Season Pass.

Call me crazy, but since Banjo & Kazooie came out before the Fall deadline and the development team is way ahead of schedule as Sakurai has mentioned before, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Somehow I cannot shake the feeling of Fighter Pass 5 being a two-for-one, at least for a limited time. Maybe because it'd be a cool way to cap it off with two notable indie spirits that could be promoted...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Somehow I cannot shake the feeling of Fighter Pass 5 being a two-for-one, at least for a limited time. Maybe because it'd be a cool way to cap it off with two notable indie spirits that could be promoted...
Like Shantae and Geno? I bet fans from the SMRPG Legend of the Seven Stars will be happy.

Though, it would be a surprise if both Geno and Shantae join Smash Bros Ultimate due to Title confusion.
SMRPG Legend of the Seven Stars
Shantae and the Seven Sirens

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Though the question is,

Plus I doubt that the Seven Sirens might appear at The Game Awards since that Ad is all up to WayForward if they are ready to make the next big step. Also, expect another opening for shantae during the Anime Movie Promare next tuesday and Thursday.
I think they'll show a different announcement at TGAs this year. Direct in December to highlight 2020's beginning lineup and the 5th character will be revealed there.

Edit: I also think a Pokemon Direct is likely in October or early November to iron out the last few things fans wanna know.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like Shantae and Geno? I bet fans from the SMRPG Legend of the Seven Stars will be happy.

Though, it would be a surprise if both Geno and Shantae join Smash Bros Ultimate due to Title confusion.
Seven Stars, Seven Sirens hmm... one more character would make a lucky 7 but who could also be associated with the number 7 and to make that happen? Waluigi lol! Waluigi is confirmed and Waluigi Pinball is coming as his stage.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I was thinking more Risky. They could play up the spirit angle with a light/dark motif, like a piece of art I saw here a long time ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was thinking more Risky. They could play up the spirit angle with a light/dark motif, like a piece of art I saw here a long time ago.
Now see, this makes more sense. Especially with the current narrative among fans being "unique secondary characters for third-parties never-ever". Kill two fan rules in one fell swoop.

That's if it happens, of course. Gotta be open to any outcome until then.

Seven Stars, Seven Sirens hmm... one more character would make a lucky 7 but who could also be associated with the number 7 and to make that happen? Waluigi lol! Waluigi is confirmed and Waluigi Pinball is coming as his stage.
I know you joke, but it reminds me of that fake leak that claimed he and Frisk would be in the pass. Boy, was that a bust.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think they'll show a different announcement at TGAs this year. Direct in December to highlight 2020's beginning lineup and the 5th character will be revealed there.

Edit: I also think a Pokemon Direct is likely in October or early November to iron out the last few things fans wanna know.
Yeah, considering we haven't even see the starters' first evolutions, I think at least one more big pokemon showcase is guaranteed.

The controversy isn't enough to keep the games from being a success, but Nintendo is still going to want to maximize sales as much as possible, so I'm sure they will still want to show more off to make the games seem as worth while as possible.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, considering we haven't even see the starters' first evolutions, I think at least one more big pokemon showcase is guaranteed.

The controversy isn't enough to keep the games from being a success, but Nintendo is still going to want to maximize sales as much as possible, so I'm sure they will still want to show more off to make the games seem as worth while as possible.
I expect a direct for pokemonnin october to show off more new pokemon at least. And the games keep looking better and better with every new trailer. Sucks not wvery pokemon is returning but the games look good still.

Looks like PushDustin believes that we'll mostly be getting 3rd parties in this future DLC.
I think thats a very fair assumption. I still think we may get 1 charavter thats from an existing franchise, rex, but that may be it. I do think new nintendo worlds are a possibility though

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, keep in mind that collaborations don't always result in playable characters. Like the Sans costume, for instance. The Sak column also noted that collaborations apparently mostly seems to concern "spirits and music".

It's pure conjecture on PushDustin's part. Realistic assumptions that folks have for this speculation period tend to be proven off to various degrees.

As for record, I think it's concerning the total number of fighters, more than anything else.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I expect a direct for pokemonnin october to show off more new pokemon at least. And the games keep looking better and better with every new trailer. Sucks not wvery pokemon is returning but the games look good still.

I think thats a very fair assumption. I still think we may get 1 charavter thats from an existing franchise, rex, but that may be it. I do think new nintendo worlds are a possibility though
If Gamefreak really wanted to be transparent about everything, they would announce exactly which past generation mons will be compatible with Sword and Shield. Tho I doubt that will happen as before the games went open for preorders in Japan there was a big movement by the Japanese fans to get them to do just that.

The games look fine, but considering these games are 50% more expensive than past pokemon games, they don't seem to have done much to justify that price hike. And after you consider all the things left out... Well let's just say there are still a great number of fans left to convince.

As for the future of Smash DLC, I'm almost certain it will be a mix bag of 1st and 3rd party characters. And if they are going to include 1st party characters they are almost certainly going to have to upgrade some spirits or assist trophies (the former being more likely in my opinion) The only ways they could add 1st party reps without upgrading a spirit/assist would be to either pick a character who was created after Smash Ultimate or to pick a character so obscure that they didn't even get included as a spirit to begin with.

Anyway, unless all the characters are third parties out of left field, we should get a character that shatters the fan claim that spirits deconfirm. Once that happens all bets are off in terms of who is possible.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Well, keep in mind that collaborations don't always result in playable characters. Like the Sans costume, for instance. The Sak column also noted that collaborations apparently mostly seems to concern "spirits and music".

It's pure conjecture on PushDustin's part. Realistic assumptions that folks have for this speculation period tend to be proven off to various degrees.

As for record, I think it's concerning the total number of fighters, more than anything else.
Yeah, but I'm also really hoping that the wording in his column doesn't deconfirm characters that are already spirits and can't become playable. That alone worries me a little.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, but I'm also really hoping that the wording in his column doesn't deconfirm characters that are already spirits and can't become playable. That alone worries me a little.
In any case, PushDustin probably shouldn't have said what he said so soon, you just know that people will take it as gospel and jump to conclusions, yet again.

If Gamefreak really wanted to be transparent about everything, they would announce exactly which past generation mons will be compatible with Sword and Shield. Tho I doubt that will happen as before the games went open for preorders in Japan there was a big movement by the Japanese fans to get them to do just that.

The games look fine, but considering these games are 50% more expensive than past pokemon games, they don't seem to have done much to justify that price hike. And after you consider all the things left out... Well let's just say there are still a great number of fans left to convince.

As for the future of Smash DLC, I'm almost certain it will be a mix bag of 1st and 3rd party characters. And if they are going to include 1st party characters they are almost certainly going to have to upgrade some spirits or assist trophies (the former being more likely in my opinion) The only ways they could add 1st party reps without upgrading a spirit/assist would be to either pick a character who was created after Smash Ultimate or to pick a character so obscure that they didn't even get included as a spirit to begin with.

Anyway, unless all the characters are third parties out of left field, we should get a character that shatters the fan claim that spirits deconfirm. Once that happens all bets are off in terms of who is possible.
It doesn't help that even the latest Animal Crossing takes more advantage of the Switch's graphical capabilities than SwSh. Animal Crossing. As it is right now, we got a pair of 3DS games that got ported by accident.

Also, I do think we'll get a balance of characters as well, similar to base game. At least after the pass is done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y’all I’ve think I found out somthing that could possibly support milks female fighter claim possibly being shantae. It’s a little something I thought of
one of his claims says that the female character looks like she came from a fighting game and lucky for me I’ve looked through the street fighter spirits and I found some similar to her and I putted them next to her
3CA8CB77-6C37-4178-92EC-0FE4BFEF577B.jpeg

She sure dose look like one to me with her baggy pants bracelets and big ponytail. And her top of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
In any case, PushDustin probably shouldn't have said what he said so soon, you just know that people will take it as gospel and jump to conclusions, yet again.
True, but I already had the mindset that 3rd parties are gonna be the main focus for Smash Bros Ultimate's DLC til the end unless a 1st party character shows up out of nowhere in these DLC packs and breaks me out of that mindset which I honest to god wouldn't mind.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Hey y’all I’ve think I found out somthing that could possibly support milks female fighter claim possibly being shantae. It’s a little something I thought of
one of his claims says that the female character looks like she came from a fighting game and lucky for me I’ve looked through the street fighter spirits and I found some similar to her and I putted them next to her
View attachment 238027
She sure dose look like one to me with her baggy pants bracelets and big ponytail. And her top of course.
It's funny. One of the few scraps of argument left from haters anymore since the Sans reveal was about her tank top and how it's too inappropriate. Never mind that she and Juri Han's images are already in this game lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Seeing how Sakurai's logic works, he typically doesn't go after characters from later in a series right away unless they're exceedingly popular, so Ibuki and Juri are almost certainly ruled out.

The only issue is that the other notable claim is that she looks like she wears Japanese clothing. If Mr. H saw a 3D model that didn't have color, I could sort of see why that would be assumed.

It's funny. One of the few scraps of argument left from haters anymore since the Sans reveal was about her tank top and how it's too inappropriate. Never mind that she and Juri Han's images are already in this game lol
Not to mention everything about Krystal, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seeing how Sakurai's logic works, he typically doesn't go after characters from later in a series unless they're exceedingly popular, so Ibuki and Juri are almost certainly ruled out.

The only issue is that the other notable claim is that she looks like she wears Japanese clothing. If Mr. H saw a 3D model that didn't have color, I could sort of see why that would be assumed.

Not to mention everything about Krystal, but that's neither here nor there.
I didn’t say they were popular I’m just showing similarity’s that she might look like one

As for the Japan clothes it could likley be an very early model so there might not be Japanese clothes in the finished model.

I could have obviously been remiu given the claims but somehow he said it wasent her which is kinda weird to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom