• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Long time no see peeps.

I know it's just the angle, and I don't want to get my hopes up (I mean I do, but I know it's a bad idea), but maybe, just maybe there is something to that window in the Shantae 5 trailer. What if they pull another :ultbanjokazooie: on us an there's a second version of the trailer that will transition into Smash when she looks out the window?
Would be neat. Like mashing Bayo and BK's trailers together. Also, it'd save on the CGI budget, lord knows how much work Digital Media Lab Inc. still has to do.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Never seen a four sided dice though lol
(:ultgreninja:‘D EXPLANATION TIME!)
You can find a four-sided die, alongside your average six-sided die, an eight-sided one, a ten-sided one, a twelve-sided one and a TWENTY-sided one in your average tabletop gaming store.
D&D is a complex game.
Quoted for truth.
Long time no see peeps.

I know it's just the angle, and I don't want to get my hopes up (I mean I do, but I know it's a bad idea), but maybe, just maybe there is something to that window in the Shantae 5 trailer. What if they pull another :ultbanjokazooie: on us and there's a second version of the trailer that will transition into Smash when she looks out the window?
Welcome back!
Well, we have the right to dream after all. We just have to hold on to it, that’s all.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
As much as I really really, like really really want Shantae in Smash, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.
It could be a hint, or nod for sure. But at times like this, I'm just gonna play the wait and see game.
Also that intro is noice, and those hips certainly don't lie.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah! Feels like a first seeing her hair so messy as well
Btw in addition to the new trailer today, I couldn't help but draw her. I'll probably finish it tomorrow.
It's coming along nicely. Also the Daisy pic in your avatar kind looks like a Youtuber I really love called LucahJin.

That aside, I don't think the window is any real hint. Her windows have looked like that (albeit more centered) in all of her past games.

Tho, if she were the next fighter to be revealed it would make her the fourth which would make that tweet from Matt make more sense. I mean it's kinda hard to mean to type "One out of five" and accidentally type "Four out of five" instead...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Long time no see peeps.

I know it's just the angle, and I don't want to get my hopes up (I mean I do, but I know it's a bad idea), but maybe, just maybe there is something to that window in the Shantae 5 trailer. What if they pull another :ultbanjokazooie: on us and there's a second version of the trailer that will transition into Smash when she looks out the window?
If the trailer has to take place at her lighthouse, I'd want it to be more like Duck Hunt's trailer, and have everyone with a notable debut on the Game Boy come knocking at her door in an 8-bit setting.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If Shantae was to be revealed next for DLC in Smash, I wonder if we'd be able to ask Matt and/or Wayforward about all of the stuff we "found" after it's all said and done. Would be interesting if they actually have something to say about all of that.

But yeah as of now I'm completely in the "wait and see" ballpark. We'll likely get a bunch of different leaks in-between now and when the next character is revealed. Although I wonder if this will cause people to make fake leaks for Shantae?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If Shantae was to be revealed next for DLC in Smash, I wonder if we'd be able to ask Matt and/or Wayforward about all of the stuff we "found" after it's all said and done. Would be interesting if they actually have something to say about all of that.

But yeah as of now I'm completely in the "wait and see" ballpark. We'll likely get a bunch of different leaks in-between now and when the next character is revealed. Although I wonder if this will cause people to make fake leaks for Shantae?
I wouldnt mind that. Itd be nice to see even fake leaks with her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the meantime, how about a game of Crash Team Racing! I mean that's something different to do for a change, no? At least that game's reveals will happen faster.

If the trailer has to take place at her lighthouse, I'd want it to be more like Duck Hunt's trailer, and have everyone with a notable debut on the Game Boy come knocking at her door in an 8-bit setting.
>everyone with a notable debut on the Game Boy
And now you just reminded me of that accidental bit of :ultkirby: footage on Twitch at the end of the last Nindies we had. Wish we had a more concrete clue to go on by, at least the :ultbanjokazooie: folks had those.

Great idea though, I loved that particular trailer.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's coming along nicely. Also the Daisy pic in your avatar kind looks like a Youtuber I really love called LucahJin.

That aside, I don't think the window is any real hint. Her windows have looked like that (albeit more centered) in all of her past games.

Tho, if she were the next fighter to be revealed it would make her the fourth which would make that tweet from Matt make more sense. I mean it's kinda hard to mean to type "One out of five" and accidentally type "Four out of five" instead...
Great, now I want to watch Lucha play Shantae. She would have quite the field day.
I would want her to pull a "I lived" on the Capcom characters.
Um wait, how exactly?
Got :ultgreninja:'d again.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Dukefire

Smash Master
I say her trailer could start at 8-bit first on going back to her roots then transition to high resolution like duck hunt
or use the animation from Trigger to make another animation for Shantae entering smash.
Kid Icuras did that for Palutena and Dark Pit's last minute appearence.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Yeah, there seems to be a trend of that all over Twitter. Are you guys ready to dust off those old tin foil hats?
(tinfoil hat engaged)

They're being tight-lipped because Uncle Mimic will be playable in Shantae 5. However, did you notice they saved Uncle Mimic for last? He's throwing down potions to turn everyone into Uncle Mimic copies. Uncle Mimic will also be playable in every videogame made by anyone afterwards too, yes that includes Smash DLC. Actually, Uncle Mimic will be BOTH of the last 2 characters remaining for Smash. If you download Uncle Mimic as DLC in Smash, your game will contract a virus that turns every playable character into Uncle Mimic. Every main character in any game and anime turns into Uncle Mimic. Everything becomes Uncle Mimic.

Dang it now I'm tempted to make my profile pic Uncle Mimic for the sake of this silly joke.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
(tinfoil hat engaged)

They're being tight-lipped because Uncle Mimic will be playable in Shantae 5. However, did you notice they saved Uncle Mimic for last? He's throwing down potions to turn everyone into Uncle Mimic copies. Uncle Mimic will also be playable in every videogame made by anyone afterwards too, yes that includes Smash DLC. Actually, Uncle Mimic will be BOTH of the last 2 characters remaining for Smash. If you download Uncle Mimic as DLC in Smash, your game will contract a virus that turns every playable character into Uncle Mimic. Every main character in any game and anime turns into Uncle Mimic. Everything becomes Uncle Mimic.

Dang it now I'm tempted to make my profile pic Uncle Mimic for the sake of this silly joke.
No, I think your current Icon fits perfectly fine. Just the idea of Shido ranting about something like this is all the mental image I need.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
(tinfoil hat engaged)

Sorry mate, Captain’s orders.

D

Deleted member

I'll admit that the window got me thinking but I had a lot of doubt that it meant anything for her getting in Smash. And now that I've been reminded that this is how her window looked in Half-Genie Hero as well, allow me to say, doubt confirmed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The first set of lyrics seems to hint at some of Shantae's thoughts. Guess Beach mode's portrayal isn't too far off from how she'd be in her downtime.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, on a different note, it seems that someone asked on stage if Uncle Mimic would be playable. Interestingly enough, the response was tight-lipped, when they could have just straight-up said "no"...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._its_stunning_opening_animation_for_shantae_5
Man, some people in the comments clearly clicked on the article just to bash on our girl. I will never understand hating something so much to go out of your way and spend your time letting people know how much you hate it. So much easier just to move on and focus on something you do like.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
As much as I really really, like really really want Shantae in Smash, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.
It could be a hint, or nod for sure. But at times like this, I'm just gonna play the wait and see game.
Also that intro is noice, and those hips certainly don't lie.
Yeah... I think people are forgetting that her window has always looked like that.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man, there is so much to see in that intro. I was watching the video and switching it over to youtube which caused the video to pasue for a split second just for me to discover this. Check out what the flash of light just before Shantae transforms actually is...

Shantae Intro.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, there is so much to see in that intro. I was watching the video and switching it over to youtube which caused the video to pasue for a split second just for me to discover this. Check out what the flash of light just before Shantae transforms actually is...

… Yup, this is the perfect style for Shantae.

Staarih

Smash Master
Do you think this animation by TRIGGER will further boost her popularity in Japan?
Maybe, especially with the murmurs of the so-called "Smash tease" haha. The more talk about Shantae, the more known she becomes and that's all I want for our gal.

Also, Trigger posted this artwork:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
The Twitter Version of the Trailer has reached over 1M views!!!!!!

Good for Shantae!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe, especially with the murmurs of the so-called "Smash tease" haha. The more talk about Shantae, the more known she becomes and that's all I want for our gal.

You know, I find it interesting that Risky, although we have seen concepts of her along with Shantae for this animation, only really has one shot. The only other major character who has just one shot is Mimic, and we were shocked that he got such a major spotlight among the heroes(Btw, there is a neat detail during the hero action sequence. Each character has a color coordinated background color, making me more sure that all of them will be playable). Everyone else got at least two appearances.

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Earlier today I saw the Shantae 5 opening animation and, checking out what I've seen so far; despite Her already being in SSBU as a Spirit, I'm getting some good vibes out of all this. Her design just looks perfect for Smash, and her playstyle could be very unique if they go the route of incorporating a transformation mechanic with her Specials. Let's see what the future holds. :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One final note from me on the supposed leak and tease incidents.

If any of it does matter, then the truth is the hardest thing to believe. Best to have the benefit of the doubt, if Trigger weren't simply fooling around with stylistic perspective because it looks cool. And most people think spirits are a hard deconfirm anyway, so who knows if there was any break in NDA trust.

Man, some people in the comments clearly clicked on the article just to bash on our girl. I will never understand hating something so much to go out of your way and spend your time letting people know how much you hate it. So much easier just to move on and focus on something you do like.
Those fools are just raising attention for her anyway. The only surefire way to make something fail is to not talk about it.

My gal Risky's definitely been shown in a good light here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom