• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
A crave old spice for some reason due to the opening. Why is that?

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know, one thing I noticed while doing reasearch for the BBTT thread I plan to make(I hope tonight it will be done) But, I noticed something not brought up much. Online player icons. There are a bunch, mostly of every playable character and spirits from that series. However, there are just 5 not tired to any playable characters in the game. Lip(who has an item in the game), CHorus Kids, Diskun(an AT), Dr. Kawashima(An AT).... and Shantae. She is the only third party not tired to an existing series to get a fighter icon...

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
It's coming along nicely. Also the Daisy pic in your avatar kind looks like a Youtuber I really love called LucahJin.

That aside, I don't think the window is any real hint. Her windows have looked like that (albeit more centered) in all of her past games.

Tho, if she were the next fighter to be revealed it would make her the fourth which would make that tweet from Matt make more sense. I mean it's kinda hard to mean to type "One out of five" and accidentally type "Four out of five" instead...
Aaah thanks! I drew the daisy one too lol, btw who is lucahJin? :0

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go on a reaching string here because, still thinking back on that opening, can't help but to think that:

1. The window on Shantae's house resembling a mirrored Smash logo
2. The fact that this is "Shantae 5". FIVE. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is also the fifth iteration of the Smash series of games.
3. Despite her already being a Spirit in SSBU, the "rule" of spirits deconfirming characters could be shattered by revealing Shantae as playable; therein going via the trope of her being a genie, is finally released from her shackles by granting the fans their wish (a'la Genie from Aladdin).
4. Shantae 5's release window being late 2019, as some have pointed out, would align with the 4th DLC fighters release window as well.

Ok, that's it for now. Gonna go back into conservative mode.
The struggle is real.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Currently right now, we have a spike for shantae's appearence thanks to the new intro by Trigger.

Like the trolls that are known by spread by word, shantae is getting the same.

Though, for her inclusion in Smash Ultimate as DLC, the remaining cards in Texas Holdem (5 cards laid out at the center for a chance of matching pairs and stronger) is yet to show itself. So, don't bet too high or you'll end up losing.
Screenshot_20190613-150448_MeWe.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I can't help but think there could be an extended version of the opening animation later on, to me it felt a little...short?

Currently right now, we have a spike for shantae's appearence thanks to the new intro by Trigger.

Like the trolls that are known by spread by word, shantae is getting the same.

Though, for her inclusion in Smash Ultimate as DLC, the remaining cards in Texas Holdem (5 cards laid out at the center for a chance of matching pairs and stronger) is yet to show itself. So, don't bet too high or you'll end up losing.
I mean, that's the point of what Sakurai had said; don't buy the pass unless you're confident about it, mainly being sure that at least one of your character picks might be in there.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Man, Bloodstained, River City Girls and now Shantae 5.

WayForward sure is working on a lot of games at once for a supposed "indie" developer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, Bloodstained, River City Girls and now Shantae 5.

WayForward sure is working on a lot of games at once for a supposed "indie" developer.
The middle-ground developer label pretty much stopped existing for people when companies like Irem and Hudson died off. These days, it's either "indie" or "AAA", nothing in between. It's like a super-simplified caste system, really.

WayForward simply weren't particularly noticed at large by the public until the DS days came along. They more or less rolled with it.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
The Twitter Version of the Trailer has reached over 1M views!!!!!!

Good for Shantae!
Right!!!
One thing I find funny is that, on Twitter, the anime opening has triple the amount of likes the announcement has. Last I saw the announcement had like 38-40k and the anime opening has like 110-115k.
that's awesome how much it's popularity just shot up in what... 3 months?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Cute art, and man everyone is latching onto her for smash. And people say she is niche and no one wants her.
The artist of this said they drew this because of both Dragon Quest XI and Shantae 5 coming to the Switch, not any Smash-related reason just so you know.

You know, I can't help but think there could be an extended version of the opening animation later on, to me it felt a little...short?
This opening only covers the barest essentials of Shantae, and even the title doesn't have anything to reveal. I think they're still trying to keep any new plot details under wraps that will be shown in a full opening and title... if they don't go the route of recapping old games. Not gonna lie, seeing the Pirate Master in this style would be pretty cool.

Right!!!
One thing I find funny is that, on Twitter, the anime opening has triple the amount of likes the announcement has. Last I saw the announcement had like 38-40k and the anime opening has like 110-115k.
that's awesome how much it's popularity just shot up in what... 3 months?
Well, it's not like a placeholder title is going to convert any potential new fans...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I love how if you search Shantae and smash bros in at least google you get just bombarded by the Shantae OP window stuff.

Also I notice its never brought up, but though may have just been a little gag, Shantae might have a chewing habit or something given she chewed up Sky's library card.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Also I notice its never brought up, but though may have just been a little gag, Shantae might have a chewing habit or something given she chewed up Sky's library card.
I feel like there’s a lot of little details that you could pick up on and adds a bit more to the characters, like the example you brought up earlier I feel like Sky is a bit of an avid reader considering she’s the only one we’ve seen with a library card, or Shantae having some impressive sewing skills considering she made her swimsuit in the Bikini Mode DLC

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go on a reaching string here because, still thinking back on that opening, can't help but to think that:

1. The window on Shantae's house resembling a mirrored Smash logo
2. The fact that this is "Shantae 5". FIVE. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is also the fifth iteration of the Smash series of games.
3. Despite her already being a Spirit in SSBU, the "rule" of spirits deconfirming characters could be shattered by revealing Shantae as playable; therein going via the trope of her being a genie, is finally released from her shackles by granting the fans their wish (a'la Genie from Aladdin).
4. Shantae 5's release window being late 2019, as some have pointed out, would align with the 4th DLC fighters release window as well.

Ok, that's it for now. Gonna go back into conservative mode.
The struggle is real.
Hey look, it's Slash Kamei.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I love how if you search Shantae and smash bros in at least google you get just bombarded by the Shantae OP window stuff.

Nervousness nibbling is a serious illness in Sequin Land, right up there with the olds and mop-headedness.

Also, check out this same energy:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nervousness nibbling is a serious illness in Sequin Land, right up there with the olds and mop-headedness.

Also, check out this same energy:

I wouldn't say it's the exact same. Edelgards a bit more "I am going to butcher you" than Rotty is. Just look at those eyes. If a stare could kill...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wouldn't say it's the exact same. Edelgards a bit more "I am going to butcher you" than Rotty is. Just look at those eyes. If a stare could kill...
Can Edelgard really help it if white eyes are just creepier in general? Maybe if that still was caught a few frames later it would be easier to see.

I uploaded another Mario Maker course. This one's pretty interesting as it abridges The Pirate's Curse (also the course title) with a hub in Scuttle to gear up with powerups before taking on bosses on Risky's ship: 0SY-7L6-0QF.

SmashHype64

Smash Rookie
Double Post
There are way better indie reps tho...

Anyway, looks like wayforward is back at smashbaiting

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
And it almost always manages to fall flat.

...Yeah, I don't like very many youtubers, huh?
Et tu, Dylly? Aww, I love Lucah. Her humor is quite immature but she is self aware of how juvenile it is which just makes it funny, plus she stumbles into so many wonderful moments during her blind play throughs...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
We got full body pics of the new Shantae and Risky Boots designs!
I really want somebody to crop that second Shantae one, I love it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be clear on something for rules on detracting; "there are better characters" is not an actual argument. In fact, it's basically baiting someone into a potential and pointless argument. Something like "I'd prefer this guy because..." has some meat to it.

"Matter of fact" statements are not arguments, and present your opinion as a fact. This is extremely difficult to have a proper debate over. This doesn't add anything constructive to a thread.

For the record, detracting is not against the rules in itself. It's absolutely healthy for a support thread to have detractors who they can debate a character's merits with. Something nice about this is it helps teach people a lot of stuff about a character alone. There's something to learn overall this way. One cannot learn that if the debate is effectively nonexistent. That means driving people out is a bad idea(you can however report problematic posts and let the Moderation deal with it) and so is detracting for the sake of it instead of posting your view on something(as long as the view and argument are respectful, it is not an issue. Of course, the Moderation still looks into instances of detracting, and sometimes moving from a debate is still needed even with people being respectful. Things are never that simple, really)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Don't worry about that guy. less than 20 posts and all of them going to different popular threads (like ours and Geno's) to say that the character doesn't have a chance. Troll plain and simple.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, please don't comment on other users by calling them trolls. Just report and move on. You can either debate with someone if you think it's worth debating, or just not respond. Flinging accusations at others(even if it turns out true) is not reasonable and makes it even harder for the Moderation to clean up. We want you to respect all users, no matter who they are. This is a case of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" as well.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Also, please don't comment on other users by calling them trolls. Just report and move on. You can either debate with someone if you think it's worth debating, or just not respond. Flinging accusations at others(even if it turns out true) is not reasonable and makes it even harder for the Moderation to clean up. We want you to respect all users, no matter who they are. This is a case of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" as well.
Sorry...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If all Shantae has to do with Smash is be a spirit, I don't think there's any reason for WayForward to keep silent and not just straight up answer to the window theory and deconfirm her chances already ya know?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
If all Shantae has to do with Smash is be a spirit, I don't think there's any reason for WayForward to keep silent and not just straight up answer to the window theory and deconfirm her chances already ya know?
I could use this logic for every company ever that has been asked this question. Honestly they probably just don't care too much and would rather answer questions that prompt more than a "no." I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom