• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I've found lately that my favorite pasttime in Smash is to go into what I call Stage Morph Time. 4 min. match with Final Smash meter active, stages set to Battlefield or Omega Forms, and always random. Then pick a random character.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I've found lately that my favorite pasttime in Smash is to go into what I call Stage Morph Time. 4 min. match with Final Smash meter active, stages set to Battlefield or Omega Forms, and always random. Then pick a random character.
Me and some buddies of mine are going to do a Smash party game sometime in March. One of things we decided we are going to do was to choose the smallest stage in smash, 8-player it, and only play as really big characters, like Ridley, Bowser, Dedede.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Me and some buddies of mine are going to do a Smash party game sometime in March. One of things we decided we are going to do was to choose the smallest stage in smash, 8-player it, and only play as really big characters, like Ridley, Bowser, Dedede.
Kinda reminds me of that time where in Brawl I made a stage called Donkers, where you only play Donkey Kong on special brawl with like heavy, metal, really fast on and with 99 lives to see who can survive. Showed it to a friend, and I swear when he saw it he almost died laughing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something off subject for a bit,

Bad News: Metroid Prime 4 development has restarted

Good News: Retro Studios is now helping the game. The same company that made the previous prime games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Context is important. That game got screwed by corporate management, whereas Prime 4 is just plain old realizing ideas aren't working.

Anyway, nothing stopping them from releasing a different Metroid game, whether it be 2D or a spinoff (surely people will be more open to that now?) in the meantime.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I wish they wouldn't reveal games so early without any in game footage. Or well, anything. I mean, they wouldn't have known like back then but I still feel like if you're gonna have a game announcement at least have the game in good shape to be shown in some form other then title only. I don't mind them reworking the game though and starting over if it means they're gonna make it even better. I can wait.

D

Deleted member

Yeah as much as I liked Miyamoto this isn't true. Mass Effect Andromeda was delayed alot and still ended up pretty ****. I don't know if that is word for word his quote but it isn't true and I wish people didn't parrot it as gospel.
Because ea is a ***** company that only cares about money Nintendo is not

Alright this is going off topic too much let’s just get back to shantae

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah as much as I liked Miyamoto this isn't true. Mass Effect Andromeda was delayed alot and still ended up pretty ****. I don't know if that is word for word his quote but it isn't true and I wish people didn't parrot it as gospel.
Completely different companies mate. More often than not with Nintendo, delays work out great for the game. Using examples from non- Nintendi personnel isn't really a good counterpoint attempt.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I still think Shantae has a chance of being added into smash bros given that she was at least given some acknowledgement as a spirit and all. I just wonder if Wayforward is even planning a new shantae game at the moment.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I still think Shantae has a chance of being added into smash bros given that she was at least given some acknowledgement as a spirit and all. I just wonder if Wayforward is even planning a new shantae game at the moment.
Since this is their biggest franchise and that its popularity keeps growing, I'm pretty sure a new Shantae game will happen one day :)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I wish I could know the whole process that went into getting Shantae in the game, the thoughts Sakurai and his team had in putting her in the game, the team who's job it was to decide on the spirits as a whole.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure we can expect a Shantae game (or DLC) within three years. Idk if they'll get it funded or fund it themselves (probably the latter,) but I doubt WF would let the Shantae hype die down before making a new game.

Either way, I'm just hype for whatever WayForward ends up doing, whether it be a character in Smash, a new Shantae game, or something else that's cool. I would also get the toys, but I'm short on funds rn and don't feel like backtracking to collect, so those won't count in this.

I'm mostly here just for the sake of it. I don't think people should care if we get off topic anymore because we have no reason not to. Until the DLC pack #2 gets announced, there isn't much to discuss, so let's just keep the Shantae Hype going!

Last edited by a moderator:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure we can expect a Shantae game (or DLC) within three years. Idk if they'll get it funded or fund it themselves (probably the latter,) but I doubt WF would let the Shantae hype die down before making a new game.

Either way, I'm just hype for whatever WayForward ends up doing, whether it be a character in Smash, a new Shantae game, or something else that's cool. I would also get the toys, but I'm short on funds rn and don't feel like backtracking to collect, so those won't count in this.

I'm mostly here just for the sake of it. I don't think people should care if we get off topic anymore because we have no reason not to. Until the DLC pack #2 gets announced, there isn't much to discuss, so let's just keep the Shantae Hype going!
Honestly yeah, I wanna know where they're gonna take the series to next. Hope we do get something within three years.
As for the DLC thing, we still don't know who the last four are officially. I know there's a lot of talk and Erdrick and all, but until I see Nintendo's word on it then I'm taking leaks with a grain of salt. I think a lot of people here haven't lost hope, we've just tempered our expectations.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hype is great, but don't let it go over the top or else it will backfire. Like what happened with some ashley fans that saw she was an assist trophy once more.

Capture2.PNG

D

Deleted member

Hype is great, but don't let it go over the top or else it will backfire. Like what happened with some ashley fans that saw she was an assist trophy once more.

View attachment 188577
You know After seeing the assist trophies and shantae as a spirit (not deconfirmation) she somehow looks a lot like fighter material than trophy material and it’s hard to see her as one. and those people who says she’s gonna be an AT in the next game are wrong she has a lot going for her for being a fighter when you look at it

-4 games (3 magic/1 pirate)
-a great moveset
-hasn’t appeared in a fighting game yet
-Nintendo history
-more female represention
-Japan loves her
-starting to get noticed even more in the West

You think the same way?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dukefire

Smash Master
You know After seeing the assist trophies and shantae as a spirit (not deconfirmation) she somehow looks a lot like fighter material than trophy material and it’s hard to see her as one. and those people who says she’s gonna be an AT in the next game are wrong she has a lot going for her for being a fighter when you look at it

-4 games (3 magic/1 pirate)
-a great moveset
-hasn’t appeared in a fighting game yet
-Nintendo history
-more female represention
-Japan loves her
-starting to get noticed even more in the West

You think the same way?
as long the evidence against her is not more then the positives, she is still in the running. I will wait till actual evidence from the companies are shown

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unless we get some radical shantae news, I don't think we're going to stay ahead of genos :p

And they did pass us, so there you go. but still #3 by a lot :p

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

View attachment 188577
Looking back on it, I don't remember Ashley being a franchise :p.

And, well, we got that Japan-exclusive version of her theme that was in Smash 4 anyway.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
WF sure won't show any. Do they still display any radio silence towards Smash comments on Twitter?
Not particularly. They're keen on the fact that she's in. I don't recall anyone in recent memory seeking to know if Shantae is a fighter. Likely because the timing of Nintendi and Sakurai's announcements in proximity to Matt's suggestion of support for Shantae for DLC, kinda already suggests highly that she's not in the season pass.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All I know is that whatever happens with Shantae, Nintendo will support it in whatever way they can. They frequently use her as a highlight, advertise her games when they come out (indie-focused or not) and now gets basically free advertisement with two spirits and an online avatar.

D

Deleted member

Not particularly. They're keen on the fact that she's in. I don't recall anyone in recent memory seeking to know if Shantae is a fighter. Likely because the timing of Nintendi and Sakurai's announcements in proximity to Matt's suggestion of support for Shantae for DLC, kinda already suggests highly that she's not in the season pass.
What about future dlc waves?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looking back on it, I don't remember Ashley being a franchise :p.

And, well, we got that Japan-exclusive version of her theme that was in Smash 4 anyway.
Nintendo sure treated her like one for a bit despite the complete lack of games, to the point that she has her own 3DS themes.

All I know is that whatever happens with Shantae, Nintendo will support it in whatever way they can. They frequently use her as a highlight, advertise her games when they come out (indie-focused or not) and now gets basically free advertisement with two spirits and an online avatar.
I mean, she's basically a second-party character to them in everything but name.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nintendo sure treated her like one for a bit despite the complete lack of games, to the point that she has her own 3DS themes.

I mean, she's basically a second-party character to them in everything but name.
It was the Badge Arcade that really pushed her. Even got a costume party on par with Shantae's... including Monster Hunter!

ashley.jpg

These two would make an interesting match honestly. I don't know if Ashley's magic would be considered dark in Shantae's setting, but Ashley has always wanted friends despite having trouble expressing it, and it's hard to ask for a better friend than Shantae.

I wouldn't go so far as to say second party for the relationship between Wayforward (it's not just Shantae, the Mighty series also thrived on the 3DS) and Nintendo just yet... but if the day ever comes where the two collaborate...

Top Bottom