• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Superstar is also remembered for adding more abilities to the powers through directional imputs, something that would become a standard for future Kirby games and Smash itself, making it very influential. It also brought the arena, another Kirby mainstay.
And it just plain controls better to boot. In Dream Land 3 Kirby pretty much has 2 settings: molasses slow and moderate speed with a side order of ice physics with no ice. It almost feels like they deliberately made him feel bad to use just so the animal buddies would look better by comparison.

Superstar is a great game, but I have a small grudge against it for how it almost always over shadows Dreamland 3, which to me is a far superior game.

Not only were there so many more levels but each level had a hidden goal behind it that was always really cool to figure out. You might need to bring a specific partner, a specific copy ability (or a combination of both)

I think Superstar gets remembered more because of the more copy abilities (which to me is lessened when you include all the partner/ability combinations) and better co-op options (no arguments there, playing as any enemy character for player two is way better than Gooey) but to me Dreamland 3 will always be the more charming and memorable game.
See, that whole "puzzle" aspect is actually why I don't like it much. The abilities-by-buddy mechanic is not very intuitive, but by itself is tolerable when just playing around and experimenting. Unfortunately, more than any other Kirby game you're often asked to use something specific to unlock a macguffin, and that cute buddy mechanic just becomes an unnecessary complication. The R.O.B level is the absolute worst thing I have ever experienced in Kirby. Without a guide it just becomes a huge slog if you want that heart piece, and even then it's still tedious constantly going back to the same place over and over just to get a new buddy.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Superstar is also remembered for adding more abilities to the powers through directional imputs, something that would become a standard for future Kirby games and Smash itself, making it very influential. It also brought the arena, another Kirby mainstay.
I was counting the directional inputs as part of the "more copy abilities" argument, and yes it's neat to have all the different ways to use the same ability, but it always felt like overkill to me. I mean in a kirby game, enemies aren't a real threat so having all those flashy ways to attack wasn't very beneficial aside for a few boss battles.

Where as KDL3 would completely change the functions of characters when you got different abilities with certain partners. It just made it feel more worthwhile when you brought the right combination to complete a goal or chose the right partner to get you through a certain obstacle.

Even all the game modes in Superstar felt just a little hollow. Like none of them lasted long enough to reach it's potential. Like they all feel like a side game, but there isn't the main game. I guess over all the two games to me are quality over quantity. Superstar has lots of modes and lots of abilities, but in the end none of them amount to that much where as Dreamleand 3 has only one mode and much fewer abilities, but they just feel more fleshed out to me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was counting the directional inputs as part of the "more copy abilities" argument, and yes it's neat to have all the different ways to use the same ability, but it always felt like overkill to me. I mean in a kirby game, enemies aren't a real threat so having all those flashy ways to attack wasn't very beneficial aside for a few boss battles.

Where as KDL3 would completely change the functions of characters when you got different abilities with certain partners. It just made it feel more worthwhile when you brought the right combination to complete a goal or chose the right partner to get you through a certain obstacle.

Even all the game modes in Superstar felt just a little hollow. Like none of them lasted long enough to reach it's potential. Like they all feel like a side game, but there isn't the main game. I guess over all the two games to me are quality over quantity. Superstar has lots of modes and lots of abilities, but in the end none of them amount to that much where as Dreamleand 3 has only one mode and much fewer abilities, but they just feel more fleshed out to me.
Super Star's enemies are honestly quite aggressive compared to the average Kirby game, and in the original is exacerbated by often surprising damage output. Seriously, getting tackled by a Grizzo deals almost half your healthbar in damage?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Welp it’s officially midnight, so let me be the first to say Merry Christmas everyone!!

I’ve been busy working on presents for family and friends, but I’ll try and see if I can show something off that I created by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae gets confirmed today, chrismtas miracle. and everyone gets BTFO.

D

Deleted member

Hello Shantae supporters! Popped in from the Geno and Ninten threads to say that I support Shantae to be DLC!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I have a source telling me that the shantae series is getting a fighter

But it’s not her instead it’s this guy
92AD1DAA-E6A5-4251-B724-C60636752E8A.png

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the Isle of Puerto Rico.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas everyone I hope y’all are having fun I got star alies for my little brother I got myself an snes classic before they stoped making more and my sister pranked me with a photo of big chungus goty edition

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
It's been awhile since i've said anything here how are all of you guys doing? Also Merry Christmas everyone!
Hangin in there! I got my Shantae pin from the Udon shop in the other day. Now I just have to figure out where to display it. Can't exactly wear it to work lol

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ok so um, I kinda realized that thing I was going to make and show here earlier today may take a little longer but I’ll try to finish it up soon, let’s just say it’s something I sorta promised I’d do a while back.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Finally got the game, and completed the many hours of setup for My Music, my online Arena rulesets and most importantly, my online Shantae tag, with messages as close to her personality I could manage.

For some reason I got a Matthew spirit (Golden Sun) right as I booted up the game. Is this a known 1.2 occurrence?

Tried making my way to Shantae's location in World Of Light, but Galeem's making it difficult. :mad:

Top Bottom