• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly believe they did that because of leakers. They wanted to beat them to the punch.
Well, we do know they can't pull a same-day announcement/release for DLC after what happened with Ryu... they'd have to put in data that could be mined.

Edit: Holy moly, did anyone see this?

I'm sure Wademan94 Wademan94 would like seeing it anyway. Sadly it's Spanish only with no subtitles but it's easy to get the gist.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So after seeing some gameplay of Classic Mode and understanding how it works, here’s what I have in mind for Shantae’s. It’s basically an adaptation of the stages and bosses of HGH:

Stage 1: Main Street/Tinkerslug-Either Shantae’s stage (Burning Town, Scuttle Town, etc.) or Great Bay and Giant :ultbowserjr: (Wendy)

Stage 2: Mermaid Falls/Giga Mermaid-Kongo Falls/Giant :ultpalutena:

Stage 3: Tassle Town/Wilbur-Mushroomy Kingdom/Giant :ultkrool:

Stage 4: Cape Crustacean/Ammo Baron, Twitch and Vinegar-Big Blue/:ultganondorf:, :ultinkling: (Cyan), and:ultzss:

Stage 5: Hypno Baron’s Castle/Squid Baron-Dracula’s Castle/either :ultkirby: or:ultkingdedede:

Stage 6: Tinkerbat Factory/ Risky Boots-Norfair/whoever Risky’s Puppet Fighter is

And I’m unsure of who her boss should be yet, like I have either Galleon representing the Tinkerbrain or just Master and Crazy Hand. Though I do wonder if it’d be possible to make actual Risky her final boss.

Also meleebrawler meleebrawler yes, I really liked seeing that animation, thank you for showing it here!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So after seeing some gameplay of Classic Mode and understanding how it works, here’s what I have in mind for Shantae’s. It’s basically an adaptation of the stages and bosses of HGH:

Stage 1: Main Street/Tinkerslug-Either Shantae’s stage (Burning Town, Scuttle Town, etc.) or Great Bay and Giant :ultbowserjr: (Wendy)

Stage 4: Cape Crustacean/Ammo Baron, Twitch and Vinegar-Big Blue/:ultganondorf:, :ultinkling: (Cyan), and:ultzss:

Stage 5: Hypno Baron’s Castle/Squid Baron-Dracula’s Castle/either :ultkirby: or:ultkingdedede:

Stage 6: Tinkerbat Factory/ Risky Boots-Norfair/whoever Risky’s Puppet Fighter is

And I’m unsure of who her boss should be yet, like I have either Galleon representing the Tinkerbrain or just Master and Crazy Hand. Though I do wonder if it’d be possible to make actual Risky her final boss.
I pretty much imagined this up already, but with a tiny K. Rool accompanying the giant Palutena, Leaf instead of K. Rool as a Holly stand-in using Charizard, a Bowser team for Cape Crustacean and Ganondorf as Hypno Baron.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I pretty much imagined this up already, but with a tiny K. Rool accompanying the giant Palutena, Leaf instead of K. Rool as a Holly stand-in using Charizard, a Bowser team for Cape Crustacean and Ganondorf as Hypno Baron.
Those could work as well, I’m just thinking that neither Techno Baron or Holly are present during the actual battle, and Ammo Baron feels more similar to Ganondorf in his HGH boss battle, I’m also thinking Death could be constantly present on Dracula’s Castle as Hypno Baron’s stand-in.

Get ready everyone. We are now moving to the FINAL 3 DAYS.

View attachment 181340
Called it!

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Even if the characters are decided already it's very unlikely that they have anything to show people outside of a list of names (or maybe silhouettes) which

A) Is a pretty boring way of announcing characters instead of a full fledged animated reveal *cough leakers cough* and

B) Would be the equivalent of shooting all your fireworks at the beginning of a fireworks show. Sure it's cool and people would be excited but the inevitable lack of suspense and anticipation will quickly kill any hype as DLC conversations quickly become a matter of when rather than what.

Nintendo needs to regulate their ammo (DLC characters in this case) to maximize community and media attention over the longest period of time. That's why these characters will be released over the course of a whole year up to Feb 2020. They know DLC announcements are guaranteed breaking news and plan accordingly to maximize attention and profits. They're a company after all.
It might seem boring to just give a list of names before they have something substantial to show, but it would be a show of good faith on Nintendo's part. They are already asking people to buy all of them at once without giving any details on what characters will be included, and the only time something like that is excusable is if they still haven't decided on every one (like if they picked one and then got halfway finished making them before planning the second)

But they already know who it will be, so asking people to pay for 5 characters before telling them which characters runs the risk of people buying them in hopes of wanting all of them and then deciding after the reveal that they didn't want all of them.

I know if they had done that with the last DLC I would have been upset buying a pass and then getting characters I didn't care about like Ryu and Cloud.

I'm just saying that Nintendo can avoid upsetting people by just letting us know from the start. Hype will still exist as we wait for each character to get shown off before their release (learning how they play, what stage they come with ect)

And as others have said, it would stomp leakers flat. Right now tons of people are making fake leaks of their 5 DLC characters and if Nintendo reveals one and that's it, then suddenly all the leaks that featured that one character will get tons of traction.

And recent events have shown that leaks can do far more damage to hype than anything. Revealing Simon/Richter/K Rool and then just revealing Ken/Incineroar wasn;t great for hype, but i can promise you people wouldn't have been as disappointed with the last Direct had it not been that everyone was so gung-ho on believing the Grinch Leak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know it still gets me that wf and Matt are quiet about shantae as dlc after sakurai’s tweet.

Dukefire

Smash Master
You know it still gets me that wf and Matt are quiet about shantae as dlc after sakurai’s tweet.
Maybe they are quiet to avoid any misdirection and even fanbase backfire if they said anything related to smash past spirit talk.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Also meleebrawler meleebrawler yes, I really liked seeing that animation, thank you for showing it here!
I'll add on to that by creating one based off of Pirate's Curse

Classic Mode: Dispel the Darkness!
Stage 1: Saliva Island/ Cyclops Plant: Wuhu Island vs green:ultpiranha:or Ivysaur

Stage 2: Spiderweb Island/ Empress Spider: Great Plateau Tower vs :ultdarksamus:

Stage 3: Tanline Island/ Squid Baron 2.0: Tortimer Island vs Giant Red :ultkirby: periodically metal

Stage 4: Mudbog Island/ Dagron: Norfair vs :ultridley:

Stage 5: Frostbite Island/ Steel Maggot: Summit vs team :ultmegaman:( representing the separate parts of the maggot)

Stage 6: Lonely Grave Island/Risky*: Ruins?(none of them really fit) vs Risky's puppet fighter

Boss: Pirate Master either on exclusive stage or Reset Bomb Forest/ Dracula's Castle or just some other boss

*There's no boss on Grave Island so I just added Risky for filler
Edit: Alternatively replace Grave Island w/ Ammo Baron fight at stage 1 vs Blue:ultkingdedede:

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'll add on to that by creating one based off of Pirate's Curse

Classic Mode: Dispel the Darkness!
Stage 1: Saliva Island/ Cyclops Plant: Wuhu Island vs green:ultpiranha:or Ivysaur

Stage 2: Spiderweb Island/ Empress Spider: Great Plateau Tower vs :ultdarksamus:

Stage 3: Tanline Island/ Squid Baron 2.0: Tortimer Island vs Giant Red :ultkirby: periodically metal

Stage 4: Mudbog Island/ Dagron: Norfair vs :ultridley:

Stage 5: Frostbite Island/ Steel Maggot: Summit vs team :ultmegaman:( representing the separate parts of the maggot)

Stage 6: Lonely Grave Island/Risky*: Ruins?(none of them really fit) vs Risky's puppet fighter

Boss: Pirate Master either on exclusive stage or Reset Bomb Forest/ Dracula's Castle or just some other boss

*There's no boss on Grave Island so I just added Risky for filler
Not bad at all, I like what you have. Mind if a make a few suggestions?

-You could probably just do Ammo Baron’s boss in Scuttle Town as the first stage, that wat you don’t have to worry about Lonely Island. Probably :ultbowserjr: (Ludwig) on Delfino Plaza, Great Bay or Shantae’s stage.

-It would probably have to be Ivysaur cause I don’t think they’d incorporate DLC characters into Classic Modes

-I could also see :ultrob: as the Steel Maggot

-Find Mii could also fit for the final stage

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Not bad at all, I like what you have. Mind if a make a few suggestions?

-You could probably just do Ammo Baron’s boss in Scuttle Town as the first stage, that wat you don’t have to worry about Lonely Island. Probably :ultbowserjr: (Ludwig) on Delfino Plaza, Great Bay or Shantae’s stage.

-It would probably have to be Ivysaur cause I don’t think they’d incorporate DLC characters into Classic Modes

-I could also see :ultrob: as the Steel Maggot

-Find Mii could also fit for the final stage
-I was debating about ammo baron but I felt committed to the whole forbidden isles and fighting the darkness and decided Lone Grave would be more consistent.

- Thing is PP is a special case where he's not in the base roster but he's not part of the 5 DLC. I don't think any DLC will be released before PP so it shouldn't be any harder to add him than any other fighter.

-I was debating :ultrob: as well being the only other robo fighter but mega man is blue and shoots circular projectiles so I thought it would fit better

- The thing about Find Mii is that A) It's too orange to fit the dark atmosphere and B) There's not much else around it to add atmosphere compared to the other castle stages so I eventually decided against it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
-I was debating about ammo baron but I felt committed to the whole forbidden isles and fighting the darkness and decided Lone Grave would be more consistent.

- Thing is PP is a special case where he's not in the base roster but he's not part of the 5 DLC. I don't think any DLC will be released before PP so it shouldn't be any harder to add him than any other fighter.

-I was debating :ultrob: as well being the only other robo fighter but mega man is blue and shoots circular projectiles so I thought it would fit better

- The thing about Find Mii is that A) It's too orange to fit the dark atmosphere and B) There's not much else around it to add atmosphere compared to the other castle stages so I eventually decided against it.

-I guess, my suggestion would make it more consistent with the boss battles in the game, but if you’re able to make Lonely Grave work, have at it.

-I mean it seems like :ultpiranha: would still need to be bought after a while so I dunno how it’d go down if someone chose not to buy it.

-Maybe we could have both? :ultrob: has two blue palettes that could be used

-okay, what about Spear Pillar? It’s kinda hard to find a dark enough Omega form stage that would be able to accommodate phase 2 of the Pirate Master considering some have structures on the back of the stage

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think if anything they will do the mewtwo like thing and show us a render of the first fighter on the 6th, to get people hyped enough to get the season pass. after that it will be the normal reveal trailer like stuff a month or a few weeks before release of it.
Well, we do know they can't pull a same-day announcement/release for DLC after what happened with Ryu... they'd have to put in data that could be mined.

Edit: Holy moly, did anyone see this?

I'm sure Wademan94 Wademan94 would like seeing it anyway. Sadly it's Spanish only with no subtitles but it's easy to get the gist.
That is some great animation there. Wish there was subtitles. I feel like I have seen this artist do something before animated the POOPTOOT opening scene

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I love this tweet from back in November.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I love this tweet from back in November.

Did that future video come out?

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
They could be quiet because it's free advertisement for a game that barely features their character. It's been decided. Either Shantae's in the game and he's not going to say anything or she's not, in which case, there's nothing to say.
They celebrated Shantae's accomplishment and moved on. Any more discussion simply adds publicity to a game that they have .00001% to do with.

edit: sorry this was supposed to be a reply to @Connorb0t2 and Dukefire Dukefire . I've been here for too long to be goofing up : )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

GAH SHANTAE DESERVES MORE LOVE IN SMASH NOT SELLOUT KNIGHT WHY CANT SHE BE MORE POPULAR THAN HIM?!?!

Ok that was weird

Sorry about that random outburst everyone:urg:

Dukefire

Smash Master
How is everyone holding up with 3 days left on the clock on smash and Shantae's status if she is going any further past spirit or not?

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
How is everyone holding up with 3 days left on the clock on smash and Shantae's status if she is going any further past spirit or not?
Honestly I am keeping a close eye on the vgas in two days and the future dlc. If geno gets in as the square rep, That proves once and for all spirits can become characters! I am also including to support Shantae as well when I do my golden sun revival campaign in the smash bros competitive community!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Getting hyped to try my new mains and checked out the changes to my old ones. I can't wait for December 6 to see what announcements we will get for the Fighter Pass DLC.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Gotta say guys I'm not all that confident that a second season beyond this current fighters pass is gonna happen.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I do feel like it's more wishful thinking that anything.

I just want Sakurai to have a well deserved break mainly.

D

Deleted member

I can’t wait for smash so I can go into the training stage use the AT selection and destroy shov...I mean unlock every fighter I can find including my mains heh heh (sweats nervously)

Gotta say guys I'm not all that confident that a second season beyond this current fighters pass is gonna happen.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I do feel like it's more wishful thinking that anything.

I just want Sakurai to have a well deserved break mainly.
“I wonder if I’ll ever get to take a break”

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think only 2 seasons is reasonable enough. However, in the end, it's up to US to show to them that we want that.

Before that, we just need to see what these upcoming characters entail. I just wish there were spirits representing more of WayForward's games.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
With all this Shantae/Samus discussion on twitter a good news for us Metroid Prime fans.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
With all this Shantae/Samus discussion on twitter a good news for us Metroid Prime fans.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
"The product is only a rumour". Might still happen. Don't get too excited.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think only 2 seasons is reasonable enough. However, in the end, it's up to US to show to them that we want that.

Before that, we just need to see what these upcoming characters entail. I just wish there were spirits representing more of WayForward's games.
So :ultmegaman: or :ultzss: as Patricia Wagon?

Artist: DrQuack64

Guess there is room for only one ruler of the seas.

View attachment 181437
I think Risky can take him on.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Artist: DrQuack64

Guess there is room for only one ruler of the seas.

View attachment 181437
Well, she was kind of asking for it by infiltrating HIS ship after all...

So :ultmegaman: or :ultzss: as Patricia Wagon?
Megaman, of course. Jumping and shooting is all she does outside of her switch helmet, to the point of near parody in Officer mode's tutorial ("Only jumping and shooting for me"). Also an allergy to spikes.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
so either shantae's in as dlc or she isn't and shantae fans get a little disappointed because sakurai's most likely retiring after this and i don't really see whoever they get to replace him being as eager to add someone like shantae to the mix

shantae has never been in a crossover fighting game before and if she doesn't get in here then what are the chances of her ever getting in?

time waits for no one and over time many shantae supporters will die as the ages progress and still there will be no shantae for those still around

how depressing is that? very!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
so either shantae's in as dlc or she isn't and shantae fans get a little disappointed because sakurai's most likely retiring after this and i don't really see whoever they get to replace him being as eager to add someone like shantae to the mix

shantae has never been in a crossover fighting game before and if she doesn't get in here then what are the chances of her ever getting in?

time waits for no one and over time many shantae supporters will die as the ages progress and still there will be no shantae for those still around

how depressing is that? very!
Calm down son, we'll just need to be louder. As long as the Shantae series goes on, she can eventually get in ala K. Rool. Gotta also count on the Japanese fanbase's love for it to grow over time.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Megaman, of course. Jumping and shooting is all she does outside of her switch helmet, to the point of near parody in Officer mode's tutorial ("Only jumping and shooting for me"). Also an allergy to spikes.
Fair enough, (also the whole android thing supports that as well)

And I think it’s fair to say :ultolimar: for Luna from Mighty Milky Way though I’m still trying to figure out who Alta from Mighty Flip Champs would be.

Top Bottom