• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I wish they'd just announce them all in a single cinematic trailer. I'll be more happy knowing they'll be in the game someday than wondering if they ever will.
If they want me to buy the season pass, they need to at least announce who they all are right away. I don't mind waiting over a year for the last one. But I'm not buying them all at once only to find out 7 months in that there last three are all ones I don't care about or even hate.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Amalee just posted a cover of "Lifelight."
To quote DBZAbridged's version of Vegeta: "Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known til I received it."
Damn, that gave me chills lol.
Does "No, not as a assist trophy" mean only as a Spirit?
I don't know, actually. That poll is very old...

I'd say you'd have take that one up with Yellowlord Yellowlord ...

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Does "No, not as a assist trophy" mean only as a Spirit?
Well given that the poll was made before people knew Spirits even existed it probably meant just as a trophy or some other representation that's not a fighter/snowglobe.

Dukefire

Smash Master
4 Days Remaining

Also, find an escape pod. This day will self-destruct in 24 hrs.

Capture+_2018-12-03-00-39-13.png
Capture+_2018-12-03-00-38-52.png

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just keep supporting her every one I’m sure she’ll be.....wait what’s that behind.....NO!

SHANTAE!

SHANTAE MOVE!

SHANTAE THE P.O.O.P T.O.O.T’S COMING!

OMG SHE HAS HEAD PHONES ON! SHE CANT HEAR US!

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Never heard anyone call assists snow globes before.
To be fair the only difference between the two is a lack of snowflakes.
download (2).jpg

Also I find the name a lot more flattering than just assist trophies.

Just keep supporting her every one I’m sure she’ll be.....wait what’s that behind.....NO!

SHANTAE!

SHANTAE MOVE!

For the unititianted
Super graphic content NSFW watch at your own risk.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
To be fair the only difference between the two is a lack of snowflakes.
View attachment 181210
Also I find the name a lot more flattering than just assist trophies.

For the unititianted
Super graphic content NSFW watch at your own risk.
Imagine if Nintendo made snow globes out of some of the assist trophy characters, course that could lead to some salt, but I still think it’d be cool. I’d totally buy a Squid Sisters snow globe.

Also dude, spoiler tag

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Everyone counting down the days until Ultimate, I'm actually counting down the amount of work days I still have before my vacation starts (yes, I put in vacation time for Smash). 2 to go.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Can't wait for it. Tomorrow Gear Club Unlimited 2 comes out for the Switch so that will keep me buys for the last 3 days.

Can't wait to see if more info is shown about the potential DLC fighters for this game.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they want me to buy the season pass, they need to at least announce who they all are right away. I don't mind waiting over a year for the last one. But I'm not buying them all at once only to find out 7 months in that there last three are all ones I don't care about or even hate.
I'm pretty sure that's why Sakurai said to only buy if you're confident in its value. You don't grab it early unless you can trust your gut feeling on who gets in 100%.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Welp

Guess like this rules out a fe rep
Sadly yes, unless its Lyn (yeah an unlikely chance but I'm not giving up hope).
Amalee just posted a cover of "Lifelight."
To quote DBZAbridged's version of Vegeta: "Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known til I received it."
I love her music! No doubt that she would do this song justice too.

SHANTAE!

SHANTAE MOVE!

Eh, she'll be fine... ish.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wish they'd just announce them all in a single cinematic trailer. I'll be more happy knowing they'll be in the game someday than wondering if they ever will.
Not many fighting games show everyone at once. I think the only one that did was SF5's third season. Everything else was a slow drip to keep the hype, so I feel this will be the same.

I know the waiting hurts but we got to push through!

P.Kat P.Kat , I see you have Rex and Pyra as Rip, but Pyra can still make it by herself, she's just a spirit atm, along with mythra.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Pretty much the same case for me. I could care less about the Rex costume. It's either that, or the character they first show off is my most wanted. If the latter happens, I might be overjoyed enough to get the whole pass then.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Not many fighting games show everyone at once. I think the only one that did was SF5's third season. Everything else was a slow drip to keep the hype, so I feel this will be the same.

I know the waiting hurts but we got to push through!

P.Kat P.Kat , I see you have Rex and Pyra as Rip, but Pyra can still make it by herself, she's just a spirit atm, along with mythra.
Thanks, if Pyra or Mythra makes it in as DLC that would definitely make my day/year :)

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
It would be pretty cool to announce a Shantae 1 HD remake as a switch exclusive, along side shantae for smash
That would be a dream come true for me, I would kill for an HD remake of the original Shantae.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that's why Sakurai said to only buy if you're confident in its value. You don't grab it early unless you can trust your gut feeling on who gets in 100%.
Yes, but he said that back when we thought the characters hadn't been finalized yet. Now that they have made it publicly known that all the characters have been selected, there is no reason to expect customers to rely on confidence instead of letting us know what we are paying for.

Even a trailer for the first and a press release naming the last four would be enough for me. Or having the other 4 in silhouette in the first trailer, like "we aren't announcing them, but it's pretty clear who they are"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>no Memories article for :ultbayonetta:
Yeah, they don't even care anymore...

Yes, but he said that back when we thought the characters hadn't been finalized yet. Now that they have made it publicly known that all the characters have been selected, there is no reason to expect customers to rely on confidence instead of letting us know what we are paying for.

Even a trailer for the first and a press release naming the last four would be enough for me. Or having the other 4 in silhouette in the first trailer, like "we aren't announcing them, but it's pretty clear who they are"
That would be convenient, if not for the fact it would encourage leakers to reveal the characters first, if they're able to figure out the silhouettes. The timing for revealing everyone at once has to be absolutely perfect and done as quickly and soon as possible before anyone knows what's happening.

It’ll probably start tomorrow with “Dawn of the Third Day” considering it’ll be Link’s day as well
I'll have my 24 Countdown video ready once we're 24 hours away from the broadcast. :p

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Even if the characters are decided already it's very unlikely that they have anything to show people outside of a list of names (or maybe silhouettes) which

A) Is a pretty boring way of announcing characters instead of a full fledged animated reveal *cough leakers cough* and

B) Would be the equivalent of shooting all your fireworks at the beginning of a fireworks show. Sure it's cool and people would be excited but the inevitable lack of suspense and anticipation will quickly kill any hype as DLC conversations quickly become a matter of when rather than what.

Nintendo needs to regulate their ammo (DLC characters in this case) to maximize community and media attention over the longest period of time. That's why these characters will be released over the course of a whole year up to Feb 2020. They know DLC announcements are guaranteed breaking news and plan accordingly to maximize attention and profits. They're a company after all.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Even if the characters are decided already it's very unlikely that they have anything to show people outside of a list of names (or maybe silhouettes) which

A) Is a pretty boring way of announcing characters instead of a full fledged animated reveal *cough leakers cough* and

B) Would be the equivalent of shooting all your fireworks at the beginning of a fireworks show. Sure it's cool and people would be excited but the inevitable lack of suspense and anticipation will quickly kill any hype as DLC conversations quickly become a matter of when rather than what.

Nintendo needs to regulate their ammo (DLC characters in this case) to maximize community and media attention over the longest period of time. That's why these characters will be released over the course of a whole year up to Feb 2020. They know DLC announcements are guaranteed breaking news and plan accordingly to maximize attention and profits. They're a company after all.
And yet they blew their biggest reveals in their second Smash direct(Simon/Richter, tons of Echoes, K Rool), leaving the last reveals to be rather lackluster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And yet they blew their biggest reveals in their second Smash direct(Simon/Richter, tons of Echoes, K Rool), leaving the last reveals to be rather lackluster.
Which is why I figure they'll just throw caution to the wind and try to beat leakers to the punch.

But honestly though, when has the final character reveal for any entry ever been hype?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Which is why I figure they'll just throw caution to the wind and try to beat leakers to the punch.

But honestly though, when has the final character reveal for any entry ever been hype?
Hype is subjective. It's easy to say which characters would have been more hype when in hindsight, but it won't change how, for example, some people find the Belmonts to be very un-hype, even if it's the unpopular opinion. And frankly, if a character doesn't excite you, it really doesn't matter when they're revealed; if they're all you get at a certain point in time you're going to hold onto that disappointment for a while regardless.

Can we honestly say we care about when Shantae will get revealed other than how soon it'll happen to quell our fears, regardless of how "opportune" it is? Ridley and K. Rool fans were certainly happier to know sooner rather than later, letting them take the rest of the reveals in stride, instead of letting anxiety colour their perception of characters they didn't support.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hype is subjective. It's easy to say which characters would have been more hype when in hindsight, but it won't change how, for example, some people find the Belmonts to be very un-hype, even if it's the unpopular opinion. And frankly, if a character doesn't excite you, it really doesn't matter when they're revealed; if they're all you get at a certain point in time you're going to hold onto that disappointment for a while regardless.

Can we honestly say we care about when Shantae will get revealed other than how soon it'll happen to quell out fears, regardless of how "opportune" it is?
I'd say not really. Any time is a good time, regardless whether it's in this DLC cycle or the tentative next one.

Still beats how Capcom decided to end their (Ultra) Street Fighter IV reveals with Decapre. At least Ken isn't a clone in the literal sense, given that.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough but they did admit that they jumped the gun on the reveals so they'll probably hopefully learn from their mistakes.

Top Bottom