• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Are we still having confident hope in shantae making in as one of the dlc characters or is this thread just slowly losing traction? Sorry I have been away for awhile as I've been over at the geno thread just discussing hard over the possible square enix rep we will get. I still believe in Shantae as I think nintendo of japan would at least acknowledge her.
I doubt that she'll be in this first season, on the basis of Sakurai announcing that those characters have already been decided, and Matt Bozon of WayForward tweeting a support message for Shantae joining the roster as one of those DLC slots. The timing is such that the characters almost certainly must have been chosen by the time Matt made that tweet. If Shantae were one of them, Matt would know about it, and I think it extremely unlikely that he would have made such a tweet were she in.

IF (big if) there's a second season of DLC, I think Shantae has pretty fair chances. It's really hard to know what direction they are going to go for DLC though. Even if season 1 DLC is all promotional characters, it's easy to imagine them going in a completely different direction for season 2 DLC.

Will there be a second season of DLC? I think the chances are pretty good, but it's hard to say. It's an obvious business decision, but Sakurai may want to be done by then, and Nintendo has a reputation for not always making the obviously correct business decision. I'm definitely leaning towards yes on season 2 DLC happening though.

So for anyone who's studied probability, P(Shantae gets in) = P(Shantae gets in | season 2 DLC happens) * P(season 2 DLC happens) = fair * good = there's definitely hope.

In other words, I'm not counting on Shantae ever happening but I'm not feeling discouraged either. She's still in the running.

EDIT: If you want to be a little more pedantic, the proper probability "calculation" from above would be:

Let S = Shantae gets in, D = season 2 DLC happens.

P(S) = P(S | D) * P(D) + P(S | ¬D) * P( ¬D) = fair * good + ~0 * not good = fair * good = there's definitely hope.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
But, what if someone bets that the sun will come up the next day, a quadrillion years from now, right before the sun becomes a Black Dwarf, huh? :p
They would still technically lose as long as the sun's gravity keeps the Earth a-spinnin. The sun would still rise, it would just be significantly harder to tell. Party because of the lack of light, and partly because whoever would be attempting to observe it would be too busy freezing to death. :p
Oh right, I forgot I was a vampire, well if you’re around during that time as well, you can say I told you so.
Oh great. *sighs, then starts looking for my holy chain whip*

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh great. *sighs, then starts looking for my holy chain whip*
Hey! Yo! I’m not here to prey on any of y’all, and I got a steady supply of supplements from a butcher to keep me at bay. Besides it’s not like I can do much to anyone here behind a computer/phone screen, put the chain away Belmont.

Anyway found this cutie over in joshnickerson‘s gallery:

7B40C3A9-CBA1-473A-AEE8-C3CE65A62616.jpeg

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
They would still technically lose as long as the sun's gravity keeps the Earth a-spinnin. The sun would still rise, it would just be significantly harder to tell. Party because of the lack of light, and partly because whoever would be attempting to observe it would be too busy freezing to death. :p
The Earth would've been swallowed up the by the sun, trillions of years prior though. :p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just swinging by to say hi. Hope you all enjoying the week before the big (actual) release :)
Kudos to keepin' up the shantae train.

D

Deleted member

Just swinging by to say hi. Hope you all enjoying the week before the big (actual) release :)
Kudos to keepin' up the shantae train.
I keep thinking to myself why we have been through 600 pages?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey Teeb147 Teeb147 how’s it going? Unfortunately not much Shantae related has happened. Dylly and Shadow are arguing about black holes while at the same time the later is preparing to reenact the opening to Symphony of the Night with me.
I do love Teeb, and I do love a good argument about black holes, and I do love a good reenactment of the opening to Symphony of the Night...

What a splendid night this is. :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey Teeb147 Teeb147 how’s it going? Unfortunately not much Shantae related has happened. Dylly and Shadow are arguing about black holes while at the same time the later is preparing to reenact the opening to Symphony of the Night with me.
Hey wade, not bad today. And everything going alright in these parts?
Well, this thread has never been completely on track in any case :p
I never played Symphony of the night, but I liked all the 2d castlevanias afterwards. Awesome games.
Also, I dont remember what you posted, but im just wondering which character(s) youre thinking of using most in ultimate.

I've been looking at pichu stuff cuz it seems so fun. And it aint looking bad as a character either. :)
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I keep thinking to myself why we have been through 600 pages?
shantae hype + memes?

Dukefire

Smash Master
All we can do at this point is hope and wait.

Until then, let's enjoy what we have for now.
DrJoE8vXQAAsjDh.jpeg

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey wade, not bad today. And everything going alright in these parts?
Well, this thread has never been completely on track in any case :p
I never played Symphony of the night, but I liked all the 2d castlevanias afterwards. Awesome games.
Also, I dont remember what you posted, but im just wondering which character(s) youre thinking of using most in ultimate.

I've been looking at pichu stuff cuz it seems so fun. And it aint looking bad as a character either. :)
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Yeah things are going more or less alright so far. I don’t think I answered that and to be honest, I’m still unsure honestly, I’ve seen so many changes that I’ll probably just go down the line and see which characters feel the most natural to me. I’ll give as many of them a shot as I can.

And concerning that video...

I’m terrified.

May I never face you in battle.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Love you more. ;)
Really feeling it. :ultshulk:

I’ve seen people talk about how cute the Monkey and Crab transformations are, and they’re not wrong, far from it, but why have I never seen anyone talk about the elephant? Look at her! She’s like a puppy! A big rock-smashing puppy!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah things are going more or less alright so far. I don’t think I answered that and to be honest, I’m still unsure honestly, I’ve seen so many changes that I’ll probably just go down the line and see which characters feel the most natural to me. I’ll give as many of them a shot as I can.

And concerning that video...

I’m terrified.

May I never face you in battle.

Ok. Well that's a good approach. I wouldn't have known right off the bat for smash 4, but now I can tell what I like more, and yeah, Pichu's going to be my secondary. :)

Heh, now watching Teeb beat you up (in Smash, of course :p), would be a dream lol...
Well, you never know. But i dont like to trash people. Sometimes it's hard to know how to fight people when you know good stuff to do :p I still dont know what to do against new players, in example. But anyway.

time to go. have fun, i'll check the thread once in a while :)

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmmmmmm

Also no media only reply’s please
Whoops, sorry about that. I didn’t realized that was an rule.

Anyway, I think Shantae had an good chance of getting in as a DLC character. I don’t think her being as a spirit deconfirmed her. Here hoping that she made it to the roster as DLC.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Damn, this Tweet has reminded me, of one of my worst gripes with gaming. :(

...They never added a "U", into "Colour", when the "Gameboy Color" was released in Europe. So now, all I can think of, whenever I use the Gameboy Color, is how they spelled the word "colour", incorrectly... sort of.
Sure feeling it. :ultshulk:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean for my comments to hurt you.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Why did Wayforward show the elephant dance? Its nothing new for people to see fans and non-fans together

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
They didn’t, I figured the little Shulk head was enough indication. You’re perfectly fine dude! I don’t mind at all. I’m having fun being here and I want you to as well.
The Shulk head kind of did the opposite, actually, but it's alright. :)
Seems like they’re doing some sort of spotlight series, did you see the one they did earlier with Scuttlebutt?
*Cries, awaiting the Rotty spotlight*

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
"When she magically changes into elephant form, Shantae is able to smash through obstacles"
"Shantae is able to smash"

OMG SHANTAE CONFIRMED!!!!!!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The Shulk head kind of did the opposite, actually, but it's alright. :)

*Cries, awaiting the Rotty spotlight*
If you say anything that legitimately upsets me, I’ll PM you about it, until then, assume I’m not seriously upset and it’s all in good fun, ok?

And it’ll happen, there’s no way she wouldn’t be brought up if they started out with Scuttlebutt of all characters.

"When she magically changes into elephant form, Shantae is able to smash through obstacles"

5EB75FB7-D988-4AB5-B6BD-069008565354.jpeg

Last edited:

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
For my crackpot theory, im wondering if Nintendo will reveal some sort of Gameboy classic with Shantae 1 and 2 in it and thats what were building towards.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

"OMG, she'z a lock boyz! Shanta is in Smash Bwothers babyyyeee!!!!1"
If you say anything that legitimately upsets me, I’ll PM you about it, until then, assume I’m not seriously upset and it’s all in good fun, ok?
It can br hard, but I promise I'll try...
For my crackpot theory, im wondering if Nintendo will reveal some sort of Gameboy classic with Shantae 1 and 2 in it and thats what were building towards.
I mean, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, is a DS game, but, if there ever was a Gameboy Classic, I'd love for the first Shantae game to be on it. :)

...Or, assuming, they were using the entire Gameboy lineup, they could do something similar to what they did, with Starfox 2, and also release Shantae Advance, on the Classic. :p

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
“Imagine Rotty in a Rosie the Riveter outfit”
You Can Do It!

...Or, assuming, they were using the entire Gameboy lineup, they could do something similar to what they did, with Starfox 2, and also release Shantae Advance, on the Classic. :p
Was that game finished? Because unless Starfox 2 was in a similar state, I don’t know if they’d release an unfinished game in that scenario.

Last edited:

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
You Can Do It!

Was that game finished? Because unless Starfox 2 was in a similar state, I don’t know if they’d release an unfinished game in that scenario.
I might be misremembering but I thought I recall reading something where they said that the game was about a quarter of the way finished with a playable prototype finished before cancelation, and that they ended up recycling stuff from it to Shantae Riskys Revenge

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
"OMG, she'z a lock boyz! Shanta is in Smash Bwothers babyyyeee!!!!1"

I mean, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, is a DS game, but, if there ever was a Gameboy Classic, I'd love for the first Shantae game to be on it. :)

For some reason I thought Riskys Revenge was a GBA game...Huh, I feel silly in retrospect. But yeah, if they do a classic for Gameboy Id say Shantae has good odds.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Technically not enough. It's a different Pikachu. Not to still the theory but you'd need a spirit labeled just "Pikachu" that didn't have the differentiation and wasn't a fighter spirit to kill the theory.
But therein lies the problem. Nintendo's probably under the mentality that since Fighter Spirits exist the don't need to make spirits for the fighters as it would be redundant or break the lore about spirits losing their bodies or something so naysayers will always point to that.

That being said it doesn't have to be a one way street. Just because fighters can't become spirits doesn't mean spirits can't be fighters. Their goal is to regain their bodies back after all while fighters already have theirs. And from a development perspective it seems kinda stupid for Sakurai's team to lock themselves out of potential characters just because of a spirit they made before DLC planning even started.

Nintendo: "Hey Sakurai we just finished our DLC list and wanted to get your opinions about it"
Sakurai: *sees Tails on the list* "Yeah sorry we already have a PNG of Tails in the game I don't think we can do it"
Nintendo: "What?"

Just like the Grinch Leak neither side will give up banging their heads against a wall until Nintendo says so so all we can do is wait...

Yeah this taking too long let's go back to arguing.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Are we still having confident hope in shantae making in as one of the dlc characters or is this thread just slowly losing traction? Sorry I have been away for awhile as I've been over at the geno thread just discussing hard over the possible square enix rep we will get. I still believe in Shantae as I think nintendo of japan would at least acknowledge her.
I haven't given up hope, but at the same time there haven't been any developments worth talking about for or against her. So close to the game there isn't much point in speculating until we know more, which is why I think everything has slowed to a crawl in here.

That said, there are still things in her favor. Being a spirit means they acknowledged her, but since they didn't make her an assist there wouldn't be a whole lot of wasted effort that they would have to remove when (if) making her playable. So there's that.

Also we know that all of the five DLC (announced) will come with a stage and music. So they must be from a series that has either none or very little stage/music representation in the game as those series would supply the most material to draw from. So Another plus for her as well as any non/underrepresented franchise.

Last I could honestly see all the DLC characters being spirits from the base game. I mean, the game is Smash "Ultimate" but DLC characters will get a bit of the short end of the stick since they won;t be represented in the main story mode. But with spirits, they could make quick homages to them so they would still be in the story without them having to be fully completed fighter by launch. I really wouldn't be surprised if the theme for DLC would be certain spirits reclaiming their destroyed bodies.

And in the end, Nintendo's President has stated that part of their plan going forward to to extend the life of their titles with consistent DLC and Updates. I really doubt they will let Smash completely wrap up in a years time. And with so many prominent characters being Spirits... Well it would be hard to make more than 5 worthwhile selections without dipping into the well of spirits.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You Can Do It!
...Please, someone make that a reality.
No, unfortunately not. That suggestion was more of a joke. :p
For some reason I thought Riskys Revenge was a GBA game...Huh, I feel silly in retrospect. But yeah, if they do a classic for Gameboy Id say Shantae has good odds.
And if there somehow ever was a DS Classic, I'd say Risky's Revenge'd have a good shot at being on that, too. :)

You dare double post, in these here parts!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It would have to be a Gameboy Color Classic because Shantae was exclusive to that (one dungeon used a color mechanic like the bonus one in Link's Awakening DX).

All we can do at this point is hope and wait.

Until then, let's enjoy what we have for now.
View attachment 181002
If the Shantae spirit really does work best with Peach/Daisy, we really will be able to dance through the danger.

Actually it's kind of crazy how much she has in common with the ladies of Smash. Shantae has Palutena's winsome long hair (and is semi-divine to boot), Zelda's magic, Peach and Daisy's happy-go-lucky nature in peaceful times (and occasional propensity to use their booty) and Samus's adventuring skills.

Top Bottom