• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another thing; since Nintendo granted character suggestions to Sakurai, it'd be nonsensical if this theory is put into place, because he would only have literally 5 characters to determine if they can be viable for development, and that is a huge contradiction.

Well guys it has happened. GOKU IS IN SMASH BROS ULTIMATE!!!

Damn, Galeem is thorough, he's even killed the friends :ultkirby: hasn't even seen since the Dark Matter days.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
2. I didnt see anyone discuss shantaes possible taunts. Id think it would be cool if she kinda pulled a pac man thing but instead of references to wayfowards games, she'd transform into various animals from all the series represented, like a chao, keese, cheap cheap, metroid, etc.
I mentioned on my moveset that I think her taunts could be the dances from the original GBC game that were mapped to the corresponding D-Pad directions

(Though I did have a similar idea for a transformation as a potential Easter egg if you put in the Tinkerbat dance)

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Let's entertain the silly thought for a sec and say spirits do deconfirm characters. Oh no she's not DLC! But what if there's a loophole to that? That just means Shantae herself isn't a fighter but that doesn't rule out anyone LIKE her. If Dark Samus can get in, so could another evil clone like you know...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's entertain the silly thought for a sec and say spirits do deconfirm characters. Oh no she's not DLC! But what if there's a loophole to that? That just means Shantae herself isn't a fighter but that doesn't rule out anyone LIKE her. If Dark Samus can get in, so could another evil clone like you know...

That's assuming there are absolutely no other Shantae series spirits. We're learning of new spirits constantly and we'll only truly know what's there when the game launches (or at least a few weeks after if no one datamines).

...I just want Nega-Shantae to be a spirit for Dark Samus and bring the Shantae-Samus trend full circle.

D

Deleted member

As of right now, we had a good number of characters that could potentially join. However, its on Nintendo's turf on selection with Sakurai on the final call.
Good?

We don’t have a good number we have a bad batch

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Just look how it will go in a bad prespective

Dq>sora/geno
Steve>banjo
Gen 8>bandana dee
Get sword user>eldegard
Dante>popular deserving 3rd party

(If spirits are deconfermation)
1. To be fair, Dragon Quest has more entries, more Nintendo presence, and is very popular. Sora has very little Nintendo presence and Geno has been dwelling in obscurity.
2. Similar circumstance to Geno, sad to say. The Banjo & Kazooie series is pretty much dead right now, and any revivals would certainly be XBox/PC exclusive, never seeing the light of day on a Nintendo system.
3. A Gen 8 Pokemon? If that happens, it will likely be the very last DLC character since the only Gen 8 Pokemon currently revealed is Meltan/Melmetal.
4. Get sword user? What do you mean by that? And to be frank, I think Edlegard has a low chance anyways. While she seems to be gathering a fan following, we know nothing about her as yet.
5. While I'm not going to argue that Dante has a place, because to be frank again, he has absolutely no Nintendo presence at all, to argue that he isn't popular is ridiculous.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Some new proof to take to the haters that say that Shantae being a spirit deconfirms her as a fighter(also if they support Rayman).

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I hold to what I said in the Smash 4 days: nothing in the base game deconfirms anyone for DLC. Not spirits, not assist trophies, nothing.

While I don't think the DLC was just decided like a week ago, it very likely wasn't decided until about a year ago at the earliest. Point is, the base game was designed to be complete within itself with its planned roster. I really just doubt they'd trash all the work done on an assist trophy or something just because they decided they wanted to make that character playable via DLC. Consider it from the perspective of someone who doesn't get any DLC; wouldn't it be strange to have some very popular recent character from a game that is otherwise represented in Smash just not be present at all? What if we had the Ribbon Girl costume and other ARMS representation but Spring Man was just nowhere to be seen? Wouldn't that be awkward?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hold to what I said in the Smash 4 days: nothing in the base game deconfirms anyone for DLC. Not spirits, not assist trophies, nothing.

While I don't think the DLC was just decided like a week ago, it very likely wasn't decided until about a year ago at the earliest. Point is, the base game was designed to be complete within itself with its planned roster. I really just doubt they'd trash all the work done on an assist trophy or something just because they decided they wanted to make that character playable via DLC. Consider it from the perspective of someone who doesn't get any DLC; wouldn't it be strange to have some very popular recent character from a game that is otherwise represented in Smash just not be present at all? What if we had the Ribbon Girl costume and other ARMS representation but Spring Man was just nowhere to be seen? Wouldn't that be awkward?
Actually a Spring Man costume was recently discovered, but I get your point.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I still think Namco or Square should have a second rep before Capcom get a third (technically fourth) and the only other Japanese third party rep whose company hasn’t touched Smash yet that I could potentially see is Ryu Hayabusa.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
In summary...
Thanks. Only new things I know of now is the fact that Giga Bowser and other boss characters are now a part of the Boss Lineup for Classic Mode instead of ending it on the Master Hand/Crazy Hand duo. Personally, I'm a little saddened that Ultimate retired Master Hand as being the definitely final boss for Classic Mode, but at the same time, it's so awesome if only for the sub-speculation that's likely to have gone underway for more Boss Characters.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thanks. Only new things I know of now is the fact that Giga Bowser and other boss characters are now a part of the Boss Lineup for Classic Mode instead of ending it on the Master Hand/Crazy Hand duo. Personally, I'm a little saddened that Ultimate retired Master Hand as being the definitely final boss for Classic Mode, but at the same time, it's so awesome if only for the sub-speculation that's likely to have gone underway for more Boss Characters.
Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I mean we don’t know what Master Hand’s true role in the game is yet. I can understand why you feel that way, though I’m also curious to see how far they go in that route.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I still think Namco or Square should have a second rep before Capcom get a third (technically fourth) and the only other Japanese third party rep whose company hasn’t touched Smash yet that I could potentially see is Ryu Hayabusa.
Honestly, I don't know why Sakurai said he didn't see any Namco reps worthwhile, I mean, come on! Lloyd freakin' Irving isn't cool enough? I hate that the one he was thinking on was Heihachi. I'm not a Tekken fan, and from what I've seen, I probably wouldn't be a Heihachi fan if I were.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Honestly, I don't know why Sakurai said he didn't see any Namco reps worthwhile, I mean, come on! Lloyd freakin' Irving isn't cool enough? I hate that the one he was thinking on was Heihachi. I'm not a Tekken fan, and from what I've seen, I probably wouldn't be a Heihachi fan if I were.
I mean I guess I wouldn’t mind Heihachi (dunno if PS All-Stars hurt his chances) but yeah I’d prefer Lloyd, withone of the biggest reasons being we don’t have a dual-wielding sword user yet.

(and no :ultpit: doesn’t count)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hell, as much as we all hate swordsmen, it'd be entertaining to just see Yoshimitsu (double-whammy in that he's also a possible Tekken Rep) in there, or even Mitsurugi as one of Namco's reps. Of course, the clips will be from Soul Calibur 2, but there's actual potential in them that makes them surprisingly atypical of the Smash Swordfighters. I'm sorry for the multiple edits, but I think it's safe to say that most of the Soul Series characters could actually make for enjoyable fighters, even with the stigmata against Sword Users.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m not giving up now we will get shantae it ain’t over until the fat lady sings

D

Deleted member

Spirits will never be deconfermation don’t people know they replace trophies and 2 became playable later on?

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Eh, I don't know. Of course it all boils down to taste, but after looking at a list of franchises bamco owns i just don't see any options I'd really care for. Maybe Digimon, but if that were the case it would default be Agumon and i would rather have no digimon than have him in.

As for Square, I could maybe see Laura Croft, but her Nintendo presence was basically in the period of her career where no one cared about her games (as in after her original fame on the PS1 and before her recent resurgence) Really, aside from Dragon Quest, Square doesn't have many recurring characters with any real Nintendo presence. And yes, I know Cloud was proof that you don't need Nintendo History, but for me to like any character being in the game they still need that. So for my tastes Square doesn't have many characters to choose from that are both iconic/relevant and Nintendo related. Basically DQ, Geno or maybe Chrono (he's certainly more Iconic than relevant, but iconic enough for him to be a retro-ish rep)

Capcom, however, has so many possible choices that are both Iconic and relevant to Nintendo. Firebrand, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright... Or other characters from their already represented games like Roll? I'm still a little annoyed that from all the super interesting characters from Street Fighter we got the two most vanilla ones. I know Ryu is the poster child, but he is still rather boring compared to the stretchy limbs of Dhalsim or the electric pinballing of Blanka.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I think Nintendo looks at spirits inclusion less as "this is the only way this character will be represented" and more along the lines of "well we've already chosen the base roster lets make sure others characters have at least some representation in the main game". Its possible some characters are seen as the former but we won't know until all the dlc have been confirmed.

Also I don't think assist trophies completely deconfirm anyone but sakurai would at least need to be convinced and motivated to change his mind for dlc. If an assist trophy does become a fighter in dlc I'm positive it won't be the 1st wave.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Well, there you have it. Just as I suspected, the spirits don't have control over the actions of their puppets. Galeem does.

The wording implies Galeem didn't destroy the trophy bodies these spirits inhabited, he's just holding them captive. So if you were to reclaim one the spirit belonged to...

Well, suffice it to say plot consistency isn't really an obstacle to spirits being playable in the future at this point.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Considering the similarities between new Zelda and Shantae (down to them even being the same age, sorta), she's begging to be the base for a future Shantae DLC.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Literally everyone is a spirit xD
imo, the game was created without thinking about the DLCs. Which means that no one is deconfirmed, not even the Assist Trophies.
Everything is possible still

zferolie

Smash Hero
So it really sounds like FF has no more music, and not a single spirit in the game... wow, why was square so stingy... or charging so much, for this?

Oh BTW, in the new overview trailer they show shantae again.

D

Deleted member

So it really sounds like FF has no more music, and not a single spirit in the game... wow, why was square so stingy... or charging so much, for this?

Oh BTW, in the new overview trailer they show shantae again.
Link?

Dukefire

Smash Master
The ultimate showdown is almost here folks and I, The Announcer, will give you the run down of what is to offer.

(Just my memory of the announcer's first lines)

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
out of anyone right now i think shantae really deserves to be dlc because she's had to constantly deal with haters saying just because she isn't a japanese character and just because she's smaller in scale(popularity wise)that means she'll never be in smash

this spirits nonsense is just making it even worse....and unless shantae is the first character revealed it's gonna take quite the optimism to stay positive in the fact of shantae haters

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The ultimate showdown is almost here folks and I, The Announcer, will give you the run down of what is to offer.

(Just my memory of the announcer's first lines)

“EVERYTHING, IS ULTIMATE!”

Best line in my opinion.

zferolie

Smash Hero
out of anyone right now i think shantae really deserves to be dlc because she's had to constantly deal with haters saying just because she isn't a japanese character and just because she isn't smaller in scale(popularity wise)that means she'll never be in smash

this spirits nonsense is just making it even worse....and unless shantae is the first character revealed it's gonna take quite the optimism to stay positive in the fact of shantae haters
We honestly need a line from nintendo or sakurai saying that they do or don't deconfirm, or one of the fighters announced need to be a spirit. with the first fighter maybe being a SE character and not a single SE character is a spirit other then geno, it may be a bit till we get some confirmation.

If the game has Pirahana plant as a spirit though, then we can say spirits don't disconfirm dlc characters

Top Bottom