• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Yeah that's kind of my point too they're popularity is at a very even level playing field. But i do think her other strengths for being chosen play more into Nintendo's favour and ultimately that's what it comes down to... Kinda like bayonetta.
...wait... I've cracked the code...

Bae
Bayonetta
Baeonetta

Bae
Shantae
Shantbae

Bayonetta uses her hair for combat. Shantae uses her hair for combat.

Bayonetta is a descendant of a magical lineage of witches.
Shantae is a descendant of a magical lineage of genies.

The concept of Bayonetta comes from a woman.
The concept of Shantae comes from a woman.

Shantae and Bayonetta confirmed the same character?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright. I must be off to bed. Hopefully this time I wake up to some great news regarding Shantae and Smash Bros!

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
...wait... I've cracked the code...

Bae
Bayonetta
Baeonetta

Bae
Shantae
Shantbae

Bayonetta uses her hair for combat. Shantae uses her hair for combat.

Bayonetta is a descendant of a magical lineage of witches.
Shantae is a descendant of a magical lineage of genies.

The concept of Bayonetta comes from a woman.
The concept of Shantae comes from a woman.

Shantae and Bayonetta confirmed the same character?
Yep! That's exactly where I'm trying to lead you! Who else won over the more popular choice, with a great relationship with Nintendo and has magical hair powers with plenty of fanservice??? They're basically the same!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Yep! That's exactly where I'm trying to lead you! Who else won over the more popular choice, with a great relationship with Nintendo and has magical hair powers with plenty of fanservice??? They're basically the same!
Shantae belongs even more in Nintendo's style. If queen Bayo made it in, then nothing's impossible

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Exactly. It feels like too many things are lining up, way more than other fighters who only reach the limelight because of "leaks". Ken and Incineroar would be nobodies without Vergeben, and the latest handful wouldn't even be on the radar without the banner "leak". Shantae, meanwhile, has many other things behind her that dont even need fake leaks to justify her chances and popularity.
I'm pretty sure Ken started getting traction the moment the "echo craze" started, and only accelerated when Richter proved third parties were not exempt from it. To me he just feels like a safe guess.
Alright. I must be off to bed. Hopefully this time I wake up to some great news regarding Shantae and Smash Bros!

How Shantae can eat an entire an entire tub of ice cream in one go and not get fat or develop diabetes is beyond me. The evidence of her mother being a fire genie mounts ever higher... only that kind of energy could burn calories so efficiently.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
All this talk of Senran Kagura and not one mention of Daidooji?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
People are actually still believe the leak?

Think of it like this. Why would the banner be blurry if he's standing right in front of it? Why would he take a video if he could've shared a more clear picture of the banner to his friends?
Doesn't make much sense to me.

I also don't know what to make for Shantae and Smash. The WayForward silence is still strange as well as her absence in fighting games.

So I don't know what to think.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Think of it like this. Why would the banner be blurry if he's standing right in front of it? Why would he take a video if he could've shared a more clear picture of the banner to his friends?

I also don't know what to make for Shantae and Smash. The WayForward silence is still strange as well as her absence in fighting games.

Shantae is going to be in the game for sure because of all the evidence. If the banner leak is real, she will definitely be DLC down the line.

*sigh* I hate to be the negative one for once but

"Obviously that was a big part of the Wii U game, but part of Mr. Sakurai’s approach is really focusing on getting the game done, and then once he has the game done, he’ll start to make some decisions about what he want to do. …with other characters or DLC, things like that. Whether or not he decides to do DLC again, or whether or not he decides this is the ultimate edition and there’s nothing more I can fit in there. We’ll have to see as we get closer to launch." - Bill Trinen on the subject of Smash Ultimate dlc

Sorry but this doesn't line up with the timeframe of WF's silence if Shantae was gonna be dlc. Sakurai's development style has remained consistent in that he puts as much as he can into the base game without even THINKING about dlc, and before you bring up Mewtwo you have to remember that he wasn't planned to be dlc at all until fan outcry after the 3ds version was released. This why I say it's base game or bust, she's either playable or an assist trophy and her exclusivity from other fighting games is pointing to playable. I know people want the Grinch Leak AND Shantae to be true but it just doesn't seem likely if her only way in is supported by "DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE DLC THAT WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IS HAPPENING YET"

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

"Obviously that was a big part of the Wii U game, but part of Mr. Sakurai’s approach is really focusing on getting the game done, and then once he has the game done, he’ll start to make some decisions about what he want to do. …with other characters or DLC, things like that. Whether or not he decides to do DLC again, or whether or not he decides this is the ultimate edition and there’s nothing more I can fit in there. We’ll have to see as we get closer to launch." - Bill Trinen on the subject of Smash Ultimate dlc

Sorry but this doesn't line up with the timeframe of WF's silence if Shantae was gonna be dlc. Sakurai's development style has remained consistent in that he puts as much as he can into the base game without even THINKING about dlc, and before you bring up Mewtwo you have to remember that he wasn't planned to be dlc at all until fan outcry after the 3ds version was released. This why I say it's base game or bust, she's either playable or an assist trophy and her exclusivity from other fighting games is pointing to playable. I know people want the Grinch Leak AND Shantae to be true but it just doesn't seem likely if her only way in is supported by "DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE DLC THAT WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IS HAPPENING YET"
Hate to bring this up, but apparently WayForward isn't under an NCC if they were able to say this.
Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 11.06.03 AM.png

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

YESS...people dont seem to freaking understnad Why did the leaker feel the need to use Snapchat in the first place if its KNOWN to give that crappy quality? He apparently had it right there in front of him, why not just...take a photo with our common phone cameras?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Wait...what? That's... why can they feel free to talk about this and not Smash?
Maybe because she is an Assist like Shovel Knight?

I REALLY hope the reason that all these insiders are saying the Grinch leak is fake because it's missing another character (not just Incineroar) that's hopefully her.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
The silence towards Smash is certainly interesting. If she's not in the game at all then I would want to point towards any tweet where they said:

"we've got nothing to announce at this time"

As proof that they actually have nothing to announce, which would work if they actually responded like that, but they don't, they actually avoid questions of Shantae being in Smash. If she's not in the game at all then I simply don't understand Wayforward at all.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
YESS...people dont seem to freaking understnad Why did the leaker feel the need to use Snapchat in the first place if its KNOWN to give that crappy quality? He apparently had it right there in front of him, why not just...take a photo with our common phone cameras?
Agreed, What people forget is that it's easier to come up with an excuse on why the leak is blurry("Durr it's a Snapchat pic guyz") than to make a flawless render that would hold up to scrutiny. We'd still be talking about the Agnes leak today if it was as blurry as this one.

Last edited:

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an

Because the leaker wasn't the guy who took the snap footage, but somebody who received the snap; the leaker took screenshots of the footage and leaked them to 4chan (i think it was 4chan?). At least, that's how the story goes.

Of course, nobody can say for certain whether or not the leak is legitimate yet, but there are far better counterarguments than 'it's blurry'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hate to bring this up, but apparently WayForward isn't under an NCC if they were able to say this.View attachment 172935
This is actually good for her not for smash tho but for other fighters and they are ok with it now she can be dlc for BS if that happens thanks for saying that WF instead of the we have nothing to announce thing:)

I REALLY hope the reason that all these insiders are saying the Grinch leak is fake because it's missing another character (not just Incineroar) that's hopefully her.
1.i think so she might

2.Inceniroar has been moved to dlc according to this thing if real...
4E612DE0-F25D-45A4-915C-4AE120B32093.jpeg

Plz be real GUH-HUH!!

3.i think the unexpected character is mostly gonna be this guy
C5857CEE-C743-4ADE-9903-92F771AD9B9B.png

Japan loves this guy:love:

:ultkingdedede:
I regret nothing

P.s I am up for shantae in blade strangers!
Besides she’s heavily requested.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Honestly? If Shantae gets into Blade Strangers, I think it'd be a nice consolation if she can't make it as a fighter in Smash. And it'd make that game a must buy for me instead of a "maybe".

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I don't think Bill trinen actually knows what's going on in that level, he's just dealing with marketing stuff. And I doubt that they dont think about dlc until it's over. I dont buy it, and I still think that even if that would be the case, that some characters that are not finished or even started in time will get pushed to dlc. And they'd want to secure her spot with a contract when they could, especially if they wanted an ncc.

That said, we should know what the nda was about once the game releases. If she's nowhere in sight, as an AT or anything, then the chances are high for dlc. Else, we'll know if she's an AT.

Hate to bring this up, but apparently WayForward isn't under an NCC if they were able to say this.View attachment 172935

You, you clearly dont understand what an NDA is, and what an NCC is. An NCC doesnt have to do about not saying things. So instead of making conclusions against shantae when you dont understand, why dont you try to understand or at least dont conclude against her when you dont understand??
If anything, that they would talk about blade strangers means they might not be under and NDA with Nicalis. (meaning not being in blade strangers)

Well the story (/excuse) is that he sent that video to a friend, and it's that friend that took a screenshot and shared it. I saw defenders be like 'but it wasnt even him, so why would it be clear when he didnt intend to show it with the public!', so just letting you know that's a story people use. It could easily just be an excuse to explain away the blurriness (which couldve been intentional)

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
This is actually good for her not for smash tho but for other fighters and they are ok with it now she can be dlc for BS if that happens thanks for saying that WF instead of the we have nothing to announce thing:)

1.i think so she might

View attachment 172937
Plz be real GUH-HUH!!

View attachment 172944

I regret nothing

Wow king dee looks pretty sexy in that second video.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
@Connorb0t2

That 4chan thread is speculation not a "leak." Speculation that is a huge leap in logic as we've absolutely no reason to assume Gamexplain has insider information when they've actually taken a stance against the leak, and their silence is less them hiding something and more them not wanting to take a stance and get eaten alive by the internet again.

The whole time frame also doesn't make a lot of sense. Everyone has said that the roster was finalized or largely finalized at the end of 2015 which would mean that work on fighters would've had to have been finished long long long before now, and if insiders have seen Incineroar as far back as August then there's no reason to push him to DLC, as there's no reason to assume that they'd still be working on fighters up till a month before release.

I'm not saying the leak is or isn't real, because I don't super care anymore, but it's such a huge jump in logic to try and discredit any opposition to the leak from insiders as,

"They're actually just lying."

Teeb147

Smash Legend

1.i think so she might

View attachment 172937
Plz be real GUH-HUH!!

View attachment 172944

I regret nothing

How many posts did make where you hated on incineroar? Tony the tiger and all that.
How many times did you hope text leaks were fake through all this?
Come on Connor, you're losing us more and more (at least quite a few people)

Why can't you just hope for all the characters you want instead of now trying to believe leaks? (and things that make less sense)
It's getting really frustrating that you want to buy into things like that right in our faces, connor.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Inceniroar has been moved to dlc according to this thing if real...
I don't think Incineroar will be DLC. It's just wishful thinking for the so-called leakers just so they can stay relevant. If they're so legit, why would be so up in arms over the Grinch leak but can make up their minds over previous leaks like that box? Vergeben is already laughingstock like I said he would be and the way he and the rest of the others are behaving, they're gonna end up in Smash history as the biggest jokes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, personally, I love Katsuragi.
Thank God I'm not the only fan of her here.

I don't think Incineroar will be DLC. It's just wishful thinking for the so-called leakers just so they can stay relevant. If they're so legit, why would be so up in arms over the Grinch leak but can make up their minds over previous leaks like that box? Vergeben is already laughingstock like I said he would be and the way he and the rest of the others are behaving, they're gonna end up in Smash history as the biggest jokes.
Yeah, it could be any Pokémon, even Zeraora, or the new kid of the block Melmetal. No one is a definite guarantee in that case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How many posts did make where you hated on incineroar? Tony the tiger and all that.
How many times did you hope text leaks were fake through all this?
Come on Connor, you're losing us more and more (at least quite a few people)

Why can't you just hope for all the characters you want instead of now trying to believe leaks? (and things that make less sense)
It's getting really frustrating that you want to buy into things like that right in our faces, connor.
Your mostly like this to me
585AB954-7B47-48D6-A63B-2A72D35E63C6.jpeg

I’m sorry but this is how it should be for me:urg:

Yes I know your pic is up there

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Your mostly like this to me
View attachment 172955
I’m sorry but this is how it should be for me:urg:

Yes I know your pic is up there
Are you a Shantae supporter or not?
Many people here support several characters. That doesnt mean they want Shantae to be an AT in order for their other characters to have more chance. It doesnt even work like that and Shantae still has chances as a playable fighter even if the grinch leak is true. It doesnt need to be one or the other.

I'm glad that you're now ok with the possibility of her being an AT, but you dont need to stop there or bring others down who want to look or hope further.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you a Shantae supporter or not?
Many people here support several characters. That doesnt mean they want Shantae to be an AT in order for their other characters to have more chance. It doesnt even work like that and Shantae still has chances as a playable fighter even if the grinch leak is true. It doesnt need to be one or the other.

I'm glad that you're now ok with the possibility of her being an AT, but you dont need to stop there or bring others down who want to look or hope further.
Ok
But the real reason I’m believing In this leak is to keep away you know who away from being playable plus I want banjo in so much I love him he’s also another one of my most wanteds
(No ykw is not inceniroar)

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok
But the real reason I’m believing In this leak is to keep away you know who away from being playable plus I want banjo in so much I love him he’s also another one of my most wanteds
(No ykw is not inceniroar)
Believing leaks wont change the truth.

Top Bottom