• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Two things that stink about that image:
1. Why does Ken have no avatar?
2. What's with these white lines around Ken?
1. Ken actually does have an avatar, but it's barely visible.
2. That's actually a fair point. While it could just be the "photograph aliasing", it could also indicate a poor Photoshop job. Come to think of it, Ken's shadow seems pretty fishy, too!

*edit: Welp, that happened to be a fake. What a shame, too! It was quite fun to investigate it and speculate on if it was really legitimate!*

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the image very closely. It seems like KEN is a CPU while the other 3 are players. Ken’s photo is there but it’s VERY opaque.
Why would Ken be taunting as a CPU. Why is he the only on that is not a player?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
1. Ken actually does have an avatar, but it's barely visible.
2. That's actually a fair point. While it could just be the "photograph aliasing", it could also indicate a poor Photoshop job. Come to think of it, Ken's shadow seems pretty fishy, too!
1. But why is only Ken's avatar affected by this?
2. Yeah, overall this Ken looks more like a Paper Cut, not a model.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Okay, as a whole, this might actually be a legit leak. Though I'm not much into computers, so I don't know if it's true, but this feels far more real now that we got this image here. The only thing to take away from this is that it doesn't explicitly conform or deny any "leakers" who had Ken in there, because everyone and their grandma predicted Ken to be in Ultimate after Richter's reveal.
However, there is one thing highly concerning, and it's that Ken's logo and image isn't actually present, which could be some points against the character, but the image at least has that tilt that the "Skull Kid Waddle Dee leak" didn't have.

Whenever a match starts on Moray Towers, two random ink colors are sprayed over the walls of the stage, including the ramp Pichu and Ivysaur are standing in front of.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Conorbot already debunked the "leak" with his Twitter link. :p
But yeah, like I said, I found it fun for investigating purposes.
Again, I'll give these guys some brownie points for trying to be ballsy and make a leak image with Ken in there, unlike every other person doing text leaks. And again, it's such a shame that it was leaked because I loved the speculation!
inb4 Shantae is mysteriously taking Ken's place and it's just the Rafa Model lit up in SFM or something

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master

Okay, as a whole, this might actually be a legit leak. Though I'm not much into computers, so I don't know if it's true, but this feels far more real now that we got this image here. The only thing to take away from this is that it doesn't explicitly conform or deny any "leakers" who had Ken in there, because everyone and their grandma predicted Ken to be in Ultimate after Richter's reveal.
However, there is one thing highly concerning, and it's that Ken's logo and image isn't actually present, which could be some points against the character, but the image at least has that tilt that the "Skull Kid Waddle Dee leak" didn't have.
Ok this went from 70% real to 20%. Ken now looks more out of place than Dr. Kawashima. Good fake leak though, almost fooled me.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Looking at the image very closely. It seems like KEN is a CPU while the other 3 are players. Ken’s photo is there but it’s VERY opaque.
Why would Ken be taunting as a CPU. Why is he the only on that is not a player?
Nope, Ken's HUD is green, so that's a player.
CPU HUDs are always grey, no matter what slot they are in.
Not that this makes any difference, but it's something to keep in mind.

But yeah, the fact that only Ken's avatar is opaque but all others aren't is a dead giveaway.
As are the white lines around Ken and him looking flat, like paper.

So to anyone taking a closer look, it should be an obvious fake.

Not that I am opposed to Ken being in the game.
Ken would clearly be Ryu's echo and I'd be fine with that. ;)

zferolie

Smash Hero

That is a pretty good amount of effort they did for a fake honestly. props to them

Two things that stink about that image:
1. Why does Ken have no avatar?
2. What's with these white lines around Ken?
Debug mode most likely

Its hard to debunk only from that. even so, that is something to see.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Nope, Ken's HUD is green, so that's a player.
CPU HUDs are always grey, no matter what slot they are in.
Not that this makes any difference, but it's something to keep in mind.

But yeah, the fact that only Ken's avatar is opaque but all others aren't is a dead giveaway.
As are the white lines around Ken and him looking flat, like paper.

So to anyone taking a closer look, it should be an obvious fake.

Not that I am opposed to Ken being in the game.
Ken would clearly be Ryu's echo and I'd be fine with that. ;)
Absolutely! It would be great to have Ken be in the game as well! And really, I'm happy to have a "leak" that actually looks legitimate at first glace, even if it is ultimately a doctored image!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Debug mode most likely
Why would there be a function to set the opacity of an avatar, but not the rest of the HUD?
What purpose would that serve?
And why would it only affect one player and not all of them?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Why would there be a function to set the opacity of an avatar, but not the rest of the HUD?
What purpose would that serve?
And why would it only affect one player and not all of them?
I have no idea sadly :( But yeah that Pichu thing may be the biggest reason this is fake. This is the Pichu Icon from gameplay we have seen

In the above leak the ear is cut off

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
70% real. If this is fake, this is a really good one. Here's the pic more cleared up:

Something about it looks off but it might be because we're looking at an Assist Trophy. How big are those characters again?
I think pacman 's taunt is too low.
My thing is i'm too biased. I don't think Ken is a good fighter to add, because he adds nothing. He's not popular enough to warrant play-ability, in my eyes. The main argument I hear is that he's the "first echo" and that's great, but... What else? He's barely popular in his own franchise and I feel like he adds nothing.
Does anyone feel differently THAT wants to have an intelligent discussion/debate? Make me see why he's important without being a ****

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, it looks like that Ken leak is pretty fake. A nice effort, but still fake.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the game, but I'd rather hear it from Nintendo than a fake leaker.

And regardless of whether Ken is in the game or not, it has zero impact on Shantae's chances. In fact, I still haven't seen anything that has convinced me that she isn't in the game in some form.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The top of Pichu's ear is totally missing, Ken's face also looks like booty lol

If we're talking leaks, here's a power ranking
Text leaks < blurry phone photos in the year of our lord 2018 < actual video evidence

Phone tech is absurd these days, it's not like 2012 where blur is acceptable. If someone somehow has the time to aim their phone at a screen, there is literally no reason for it NOT to be a video. Blurry photos let you edit and hide flaws as much as you want.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
The big thing that got to me about that Ken picture is that man the lighting looked pretty weird on him.

Anyway, glad to see you're all still speculatin' along

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Can we change 1 to, "All text leaks are fake till proven real"? Like the E3 leak? I think that suits it a lil better.

Other than that, I think this is good.
Seems obvious, so I don't really think it needs to be stated.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The top of Pichu's ear is totally missing, Ken's face also looks like booty lol

If we're talking leaks, here's a power ranking
Text leaks < blurry phone photos in the year of our lord 2018 < actual video evidence

Phone tech is absurd these days, it's not like 2012 where blur is acceptable. If someone somehow has the time to aim their phone at a screen, there is literally no reason for it NOT to be a video. Blurry photos let you edit and hide flaws as much as you want.
Agreed. Video proof is much easier to do now.

D

Deleted member

While this image is very interesting, there has yet to be any evidence against our half genie hero. To rebound this thread, let me reiterate the things that point in favor to Shantae
-Support, Followed By Silence: When the smash ballot launched, there was a huge out poor for Shantae not just by fans, but by Wayforward as well. They went as far as to design a set of 8 costumes that she would potentially have as explain in an interview what they feel like her moveset would be. Along side showing their support, fans shared hundereds of pieces of art sharing their excitement with Shantae appearing in smash. WF liked, shared, and retweeted all of this art. Time goes by and we learn that this game's roster is based on the ballot. Excited, fans begin to re support their fighters. However, WF seems to be silent on the matter. The do not acknowledge fans asking about her possible placement in smash and they rarely like art that has Shantae in something smash related. This is a possible conclusion of a ....

-Possible NDA: A nondisclosure agreement would hinder WF to talk about her potential placement in smash. If there was no such agreement, why would they not deconfirm her right away? Why would they lead their fans on only for all of them to get disappointed? Sure, this does lead to a lot of free publicity and WF and definitely use that, but WF is not a scummy company. They love being open about the things they are doing and love their fans more than the games they make. To me, it makes sense that there is some NDA and it is VERY effective as she is not talked about as much as other potential fighters.

-Possible NCC: Shantae has had very few guest appearances, but the ones she has been in all have something in common, that being the games are not platform fighters. Blade Strangers have been open about how they would love to have her in the game. While it is still possible that this is her fate, I do believe that WF has opted out of several games to help increase her chances of getting in smash.

-Jammies Mode: This to me is a huge selling point as well as proof as their not being a NDA. I'm not sure how much a company is able to disclose to the public while an NDA is in place, but the hints in Jammies mode both gets me worried and excited. On one hand, their may not be an NDA and they reference smash as a little joke. This seems a little unlikely because WF is silent and ignores smash stuff. Why lead on fans to just be disappointed? On the other hand, disclosing these "subtle" hints may not be a violation of an NDA and their choice on how to reveal Jammies mode was calculated and deliberate. I'm skeptical but I'm siding with this theory.

-Popularity: I'm going to be fair to both Shovel Knight and Shantae, They are both in fact, Mr. and Mrs. Indie. I do not believe any indie character has been able to reach the popularity of these two (No, MC Steve does not count). While Shovel knight is popular here in America, Shantae has a much larger audience in Japan. This is due to her cute, expressive, and appealing nature. Cute things = popularity. Don't believe me, Jak and Daxter was a MASSIVE hit in Japan. Jak II changed his appearance to an edge lord, and thus the game flopped HARD. In addition, western releases of Kirby games have him look edgier on the box art then on Japanese box art. Shantae is more expressive than SK which is a huge win over him as far as inclusion. While I love SK's game, he is a faceless protagonist. This is not a bad thing, but it's not what Japan likes.

These to me are the major points to her inclusion. I am firm believer that she will be a fighter. So lets all agree that our girl WILL be in SMASH!
Boi you are a genius!!
I’m going to be out for a while don’t screw up while I’m gone

Bye

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The problem is that they didn't straight-up crop it.

Pichu's ear in the leak shows a bit more, so it's not from E3. There has also been changes to the portrait positions in different builds.

edit: pardon me, the leak Pichu's ear actually shows a bit less than at E3. Either way, he didn't crop it.

big edit: well I just realized I may have came off as a bit condescending to the Twitter users, which wasn't my intention, but "What they failed to notice" does sound a bit rude...I didn't mean it that way, I'm really sorry...

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well that didn't take long to debunk. So at least this isn't "Palutena leak" levels of fake.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That Prima leak is fake. Why anyone put any stock in it is beyond me. It's a dime a dozen fake text leak that has no credibility.

As for the Ken leak, something about his face just seems so off to me. And why is it that every single image leaker is incapable of taking a clear picture? Modern phones, even camera phones, can take pretty clear images. Why are all of these character image leaks always so damn blurry?
yeah like what the **** are these leakers even USING to take these photos?!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It hasn't been debunked.

Moray Towers also has no ink, yet it's super detailed and accurate. Devs can remove the ink.
It has been debunked. While Ken as a character is possible and expected that photo IS fake. Like I said the Palutena leak was NEVER debunked by ANYONE UNTIL Palutena was reveal and the person who made the fake Palutena leak came forward and revealed that "leak" was fake.

So again, while Ken is a high possibility, that photo is a fake.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It has been debunked. While Ken as a character is possible and expected that photo IS fake. Like I said the Palutena leak was NEVER debunked by ANYONE UNTIL Palutena was reveal and the person who made the fake Palutena leak came forward and revealed that "leak" was fake.

So again, while Ken is a high possibility, that photo is a fake.
But how is it fake?

If you mean Pichu, we have evidence that the portraits and their positions change in different builds, so that evidence against it is flimsy. If this is fake, it's another Palutena situation, where we need to see the reveal.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
But how is it fake?

If you mean Pichu, we have evidence that the portraits and their positions change in different builds, so that evidence against it is flimsy. If this is fake, it's another Palutena situation, where we need to see the reveal.
With how easily people with a good eye for detail has faked screenshots and gameplay(Palutena "leak") I would not count on this being a true leak. Do I need to remind people here of a certain gameplay leak that turned out fake. Yeah I am talking about the "Rayman leak".

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
With how easily people with a good eye for detail has faked screenshots and gameplay(Palutena "leak") I would not count on this being a true leak. Do I need to remind people here of a certain gameplay leak that turned out fake. Yeah I am talking about the "Rayman leak".
Rayman leak was impressive.

However, we also have "ESRB leak." I'm not saying this leak is in the same vein, but just because most "leaks" are actually fakes, we can end up with a real one, and all the evidence for this one is too much to ignore.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Rayman leak was impressive.

However, we also have "ESRB leak." I'm not saying this leak is in the same vein, but just because most "leaks" are actually fakes, we can end up with a real one, and all the evidence for this one is too much to ignore.
Really? You're handwaving the flaws with "well it could have changed in production" despite no evidence supporting that. Not to mention Ken looking like complete ass and having wildly different shading than any other humanoid in the game (look at his HAIR). Combined with being yet another blurry photo leak, the easiest kind of leak to fake and the evidence for it being fake is way stronger than the "evidence" saying it's real.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Really? You're handwaving the flaws with "well it could have changed in production" despite no evidence supporting that. Not to mention Ken looking like complete *** and having wildly different shading than any other humanoid in the game (look at his HAIR). Combined with being yet another blurry photo leak, the easiest kind of leak to fake and the evidence for it being fake is way stronger than the "evidence" saying it's real.
To be fair its kinda a meme now that Ken always looks like ****.

I do agree we cannot hand wave these inconsistancies.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Really? You're handwaving the flaws with "well it could have changed in production" despite no evidence supporting that. Not to mention Ken looking like complete *** and having wildly different shading than any other humanoid in the game (look at his HAIR). Combined with being yet another blurry photo leak, the easiest kind of leak to fake and the evidence for it being fake is way stronger than the "evidence" saying it's real.
I think he's trying to supplement his argument by stating the ESRB leak, which is still an ass thing to do, trying to channel in the "Shulk is Little Mac" esque argument here. Either way, I know this "leak" is a fake in photography world.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The shading? It looks normal, it's Moray Towers' lighting and such, affecting the fighters. Other stages' have different lighting. In reply to any "his face" posts, Ken always looks ugly according to the people who know Street Fighter. There's nothing pointing to this being a definite fake, but I'm not saying it's definitely real. There's no reason to be hostile against every leak :ohwell:

I think he's trying to supplement his argument by stating the ESRB leak, which is still an *** thing to do, trying to channel in the "Shulk is Little Mac" esque argument here. Either way, I know this "leak" is a fake in photography world.
It's a dang videogame, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to discuss this. Everyone acts like all leaks are fake, when in fact a true one can be real; that's all I'm saying. I referenced that leak because plenty of people tried to say it was fake as well, so I figured we should all at least keep this new leak in mind...

I can understand being tired of fake leaks and such, but to be hostile whenever someone is trying to discuss doesn't feel good :(

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Fun little thing to notice: Has anyone realized that when Smash comes up, there's a multi-verse threat??

Like Smash 64, the biggest threat was Master Hand and his unbelievable powers.

Smash Melee was the huge threat of an unpredictable, and insane God, Crazy Hand.

Smash Brawl was the unstoppable force of the Subspace Army.

Smash 4 was the possesion of Master Hand, and defeating the inner demons: The 4 Masters, and Master Fortress.

So what are our heroes being called to save since EveryBody is here for Smash Ultimate?

Its almost like a calling...

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Fun little thing to notice: Has anyone realized that when Smash comes up, there's a multi-verse threat??

Smash Melee was the huge threat of an unpredictable, and insane God, Crazy Hand.

Smash 4 was the possesion of Master Hand, and defeating the inner demons: The 4 Masters, and Master Fortress.

So what are our heroes being called to save since EveryBody is here for Smash Ultimate?

Well you do know that the characters is Smash aren't the REAL characters from their respective game. They are literally trophies.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Master Hand's final form is...
Masahiro Sakurai!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, so I know it's been a while but can we talk about this?

1534708868215.jpg

We know now that
  • it's not a teaser for a new game (confirmed by WF)
  • it's not a reference to Shantae appearing in a crossover fighter (confirmed by Shantae not showing up in anything recent)
  • it's not a reference to any future HGH updates since it was the last one
  • it's the first time a game has ended on such a note
Sooooo what is Uncle Mimic referring to? Actually I'm dropping the pretenses, assuming this is about Smash, would Wayforward hype up Shantae appearing as an NPC?
If she were stuck as an Assist Trophy wouldn't it make more sense to not stir up your audience with some very obviously Smash flavored dialog?

zferolie

Smash Hero

Medusa is gathering all the villains to take over the worlds! She even called Risky Boots, which is why Shantae is here.

Well you do know that the characters is Smash aren't the REAL characters from their respective game. They are literally trophies.
They only took that route in Melee and Brawl. Changed in in Wii U I beleive

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, so I know it's been a while but can we talk about this?

We know now that
  • it's not a teaser for a new game (confirmed by WF)
  • it's not a reference to Shantae appearing in a crossover fighter (confirmed by Shantae not showing up in anything recent)
  • it's not a reference to any future HGH updates since it was the last one
  • it's the first time a game has ended on such a note
Sooooo what is Uncle Mimic referring to? Actually I'm dropping the pretenses, assuming this is about Smash, would Wayforward hype up Shantae appearing as an NPC?
If she were stuck as an Assist Trophy wouldn't it make more sense to not stir up your audience with some very obviously Smash flavored dialog?
...It doesn't really click right in my brain. Not to discredit appearing in as an NPC isn't a high honor, but with all our circumstantial evidence and the deafening silence, all this just for an NPC appearance? I have a high amount of doubt about it. Then again, I'm being selfish and short-sighted by saying that she can't be anything but a Playable at this point.

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice

I've legit been wondering what they could pull as the final boss this time around, especially since last time was basically nightmare fuel.

To be fair they were figures first (Smash 64), and then Trophys in Melee, and then Brawl's story. 4 didn't really have them as anything.

Assuming this "Spirits" mode turns out real they could be something else entirely. Personally I hope they drop the "these characters are trophies" or "turn into trophies upon defeat" thing (which you can argue they already did with the Simon trailer, that whole thing with Luigi's soul etc) because if I can be honest, that whole thing pulled me out of Subspace Emissary. I still had fun with the game mode but I lost a lot of investment because the game kept hitting me over the head with what felt like "these aren't really the characters you know and love 'cause they are just trophies."
Maybe I'm just messed up but Tabuu's "total party kill" lost all of it's impact when everyone just turned into trophies. "oh nooo, not our heroes" I said out loud, sarcastically.

Personal peeve, don't mind me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom