• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
As a lover of music; I have to ask, what top 3 Shantae tracks do you want to hear in Smash Ultimate?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As a lover of music; I have to ask, what top 3 Shantae tracks do you want to hear in Smash Ultimate?
Well, Dance Through the Danger(Of course), a version of Burning Town(Double of course), and Rottytops theme.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I have to admit I haven't seen a game developer act as suspicious as WayForward has been recently. Something is up with them. Their non-answers and flat out ignoring comments is so out of character for them.

Hopefully all of this isn't for just a trophy, assist or otherwise. Seems like an awful lot for them to go through this for.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I've been lurking this thread for months, sign me up on the hype list. I've been playing her games since they came out on the 3DS Eshop.
Hopefully all of this isn't for just a trophy, assist or otherwise. Seems like an awful lot for them to go through this for.
I'm torn. On one hand it would be an honor for her to show up in some way, but on the other, I feel like Wayforward would act as though they let their fans down if she wasn't playable. They love their fans, as you can clearly tell, so I feel like it would break their hearts for them say that she is only a trophy.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Probably Burning Town, Mermaid Factory and Dance Through The Danger.

And a bonus 4th track that has been in a Shantae game before but didn't originate there, Woah I'm In Space Cuba from Mighty Switch Force. I love it! AAAAA

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I've been lurking this thread for months, sign me up on the hype list. I've been playing her games since they came out on the 3DS Eshop.

I'm torn. On one hand it would be an honor for her to show up in some way, but on the other, I feel like Wayforward would act as though they let their fans down if she wasn't playable. They love their fans, as you can clearly tell, so I feel like it would break their hearts for them say that she is only a trophy.
You have to remember that no matter how she appears in the game, they would still be under the same NDA regardless. Their silence doesn't really mean anything as to her specific role in the game. The only odd part would be why they wouldn't pin a tweet as a blanket response to smash questions such as "We have no current plans for Shantae appearing in Smash Brothers" if she isn't in to at least quell that portion of the community. Capcom was pretty quick to shut down Dante.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I feel that if Shantae wasn’t in Smash, at least Cristina Valenzuela would have stated already that she hasn’t been contacted to do her voice, but AFAIK, she’s been just as silent as WF.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Considering how strange WayForward has been acting, I do believe that Shantae is in the game in some form. If she wasn't in the game I think they would have told us a while back instead of getting our hopes up. They wouldn't be under an NDA if she wasn't in the game.

I just hope she's playable instead of an assist trophy.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And let's not forget Shantae's suspicious absence from any indie crossover fighting game while SK is making tons of appearances in them. And sure, you could say that Wayforward is being careful about Shantae's image, but these are the same people who turned Shantae into a tank, so I think they would be fine having Shantae in a fighting game.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I feel that if Shantae wasn’t in Smash, at least Cristina Valenzuela would have stated already that she hasn’t been contacted to do her voice, but AFAIK, she’s been just as silent as WF.
I don't know about that. Cloud's English VA was never even informed that Cloud was going to be in Smash 4 and he was a bit hurt after he found out. Her VA, who probably has no interest in smash in the first place, wouldn't have any reason to talk about it if she clueless on the matter.

And let's not forget Shantae's suspicious absence from any indie crossover fighting game while SK is making tons of appearances in them. And sure, you could say that Wayforward is being careful about Shantae's image, but these are the same people who turned Shantae into a tank, so I think they would be fine having Shantae in a fighting game.
We don't know much about that deal, though. The indie crossover fighters may not have offered any kind of compensation for using Shantae while Inti Creates likely paid for a crossover to promote their game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We don't know much about that deal, though. The indie crossover fighters may not have offered any kind of compensation for using Shantae while Inti Creates likely paid for a crossover to promote their game.
Fair. The whole Shantae not appearing in indie fighters thing is still suspicious as heck though, considering how gungho they were about getting in Smash. And yeah, it's Smash, but they were more into it than most, so them not even showing up in indie fighters that are inspired by Smash is weird to me(Let alone indie fighters in general). On it's own it means little, but stacked with everything else it paints a really weird image.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
On an unrelated note, the ESRB rating came out.

E10+ for Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, and Suggestive Themes (not Mild like 3DS/Wii U, I'm guessing Bayo being base game forced this change)

Anyone else thinks Shantae's chances are unchanged as a result?
By the way, where did you find this? I’ve been trying to search for a source on my phone with no luck.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone noticed the difference between Shovel Knight cameos and Shantae cameos?

Shovel Knight cameos in just about any game he can, playable or not. Shantae cameos only in games where she is playable.

May not mean anything too much but... maybe Matt only wants her in games where she can be playable. So if their silence means anything and she is in Smash... well...

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Is the whole company on shut down? Why can't they say anything?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WayForward/status/1035297066438676481
I love how they bolded the "confirm" word...at this point I'm sure they're following this thread just to troll us! XD
But if you scroll up the subject is about Shantae games in the future not Super Smash Bros.
They seem more open to discussion about Shantae games, but aren't planning on making any big announcements on twitter right now.

With HGH winding down they probably won't have anything to post until their next game.
This could be why they avoid saying anything about new Shantae games in the tweet since there is always the issue of funding and they don't want to make any promises until everything is set up proper.

you could say that Wayforward is being careful about Shantae's image
Yeah, I don't buy into the whole "the creator is just being selective as to what games Shantae appears in" even as a possibility, since logically a lot of these games seem pretty decent and faithful and spreading Shantae around would be good for Wayforward publicity and Shantae awareness and popularity.

The indie crossover fighters may not have offered any kind of compensation for using Shantae while Inti Creates likely paid for a crossover to promote their game.
Nah, they sell all those indie fighters for money, so all the creators should get a cut. "Let us use your character so we can make money off them without you getting any" seems impossible to me.
indie pogo and Rivals of Aether sell for 15 dollars on steam.
Blade Strangers for 40 dollars.
Brawlout for 20 dollars.
Way forward would definitely have made some money off of this.

The most plausible anti-Shantae explanation is that they simply weren't aware of these games since there is precedent for that. In a way forward interview posted here, James didn't know about a certain game that the interviewer asked about including Shantae's in. James reacted possitively to the idea, and later they added Shantae to said game. However I believe this is not the case with the fighting games since Veodok literally tweeted at them about this and nothing like that occurred.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WayForward/status/1032035774760280064?s=09
Completely different reaction than with James at the interview.

People have even reached out to wayforward (I forget for which fighting game) to ask about including Shantae in their fighting game and weren't able to cinch anything even though Shantae was highly requested and the fighting game was very popular.

Shantae cameos only in games where she is playable.
I would rule this out since Shantae would've been playable in these 4 fighting games.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
It's still interesting that it's only fighting games she hasn't been in. She's going to be in Indivisible which comes out soon but wasn't in Blade Strangers even though she was highly requested for that game. Maybe Runbow but idk if that counts as fighting.

Just the fact that it's always a playable appearance in every single game she guest stars in is interesting. If she does get in Smasg, I would hope the trend would continue.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
WF: "Vote Shantae for Smash in the ballot!" *continues being like the most vocal supporting their character for Smash*

*time passes*

WF: "Let's put Shantae in these indie crossover games but not the fighting-based ones because who would want her in them anyways LOL!"

this is a joke pls don't send your pirates and half-genie to kill me WF

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
WF: "Vote Shantae for Smash in the ballot!" *continues being like the most vocal supporting their character for Smash*

*time passes*

WF: "Let's put Shantae in these indie crossover games but not the fighting-based ones because who would want her in them anyways LOL!"

this is a joke pls don't kill me WF
Exactly! I just wanna fight as Shantae. Let it happen, Matt!

candysell

Smash Cadet
Trip through the Sequin Land (Pirates Curse) and the 2 boss battles in Pirates Curse. I had them added in my Smash 4 game with the boss battles being in Final Destination and Battlefield, which fit really well btw, and Trip through the Sequin Land taking a spot in Palutena's Temple.

Sucks the hack doesn't work anymore. I don't know what Nintendo did but it just stopped working all of a sudden.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
One character I was thinking it would be cool for Shantae to interact with is Ganondorf. Shantae is basically a Gerudo Pirate. Actually she could probably have an amusing interaction with one of the Links as well

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I just can't wait for all this to be over by December. The wait to see if Shantae is in Smash as playable is tiresome. Oh well, we can only hope our detective skills have some merit in the end.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
By the way guys, the Smash Ultimate website no longer has the characters, items, or stages listed as "New." Apparently, when this sort of thing happened back in Smash 4, announcements were not to far off.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
By the way guys, the Smash Ultimate website no longer has the characters, items, or stages listed as "New." Apparently, when this sort of thing happened back in Smash 4, announcements were not to far off.
It's very likely we'll get a general Nintendo Direct in September, and you know that there will be at least one character announcement then.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
It's very likely we'll get a general Nintendo Direct in September, and you know that there will be at least one character announcement then.

I wish they would just release a schedule of the upcoming directs and announcements. Even just that would make me feel less frustrated I think. All this waiting around with no real sense of what's going to happen is killing me

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Part of me still wants to hear a very good leak with Shantae in it. That's one of the reasons why I'm nervous with these leaks. Hardly any of them has her.
Isn’t that a good thing in the long run?

Take Duck Hunt for instance. Almost no fake leaks had the character yet guess who ended up playable?

My point is just because she ain’t listed doesn’t mean she’s out completely.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's sad that leaks actually get more people talking about characters. I don't think they should be rewarded for lying.
That said, it's nice to have people talking about characters, especially if they like them. Sometimes they don't think they're possible until they see a leak. It sucks that people are gullible and don't support without false hope though, in those cases.

Shantae clearly has her own merits though, so I don't think it matters either way :)

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Isn’t that a good thing in the long run?

Take Duck Hunt for instance. Almost no fake leaks had the character yet guess who ended up playable?

My point is just because she ain’t listed doesn’t mean she’s out completely.
I'll admit that's true and most leakers are ok only doing safe bets. But still has me nervous.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Until the :ultfox: is fixed my Smash Ultimate Main icon choice will be :ultlink:. That is all.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about that. Cloud's English VA was never even informed that Cloud was going to be in Smash 4 and he was a bit hurt after he found out. Her VA, who probably has no interest in smash in the first place, wouldn't have any reason to talk about it if she clueless on the matter.
To be fair, I think this is a far different situation. I feel like not using Shantae's english voice would be very odd, but that aside Cristina Vee did in fact state she wasn't' in Smash as Shantae (though noting she would love it) in Smash 4, so it wouldn't be out of character for her to deconfirm herself in Smash this time.

Not saying that it means anything, just that I do think it's a different situation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since Shantae being a tomboy like Daisy was brought up earlier, I realised they'd become fast friends for that reason. Crossovers are fun.

Yeah she absolutely has to be in Smash in some form. But like everyone has already said millions of time on this thread, even though it's almost guaranteed she is in, she could even be a Commander Video normal trophy and they would have to be this silent.

I personally am also on the more skeptical side of the "She hasn't been appearing in tons of Indie games like Shovel Knight" argument. For all we know, Yacht Club could be letting Shovel Knight into all these games for practically free just for all this publicity, but WayForward has been more a business than anything these past two decades. After their years of contracting work, I don't think they would ever let Shantae crossover without a decent financial benefit.
Well, it's their business account so they only tweet business related things and respond to questions/fanart directed at them. With HGH winding down they probably won't have anything to post until their next game.
Also, it should be noted that they haven't done much that wasn't related to finishing up HGH DLC, recently. Aside from making Mummy Demastered, they had published Mystik Belle on another developer's behalf.

On the topic of publicity, YCG pushes to promote Shovel Knight anywhere and everywhere (even for games that are clearly not being finished anytime soon, like Ghost Police), most likely so they can actually afford to finish SK's DLC and have enough budget cushion for any upcoming projects, which is clearly a different situation than for Shantae.

this is a joke pls don't kill me WF
They can't, that'd be breaking the NDA, too. :p

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Since Shantae being a tomboy like Daisy was brought up earlier, I realised they'd become fast friends for that reason. Crossovers are fun.
You know, some people theorize that the reason Daisy is doing a hip bump in the big "EVERYONE IS HERE!" poster is because she's bumping with Shantae.

Top Bottom