• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
BTW, concerning that image "leak"...am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if we got a Bravely Default rep over Geno? Especially Agnes since Smash is still mostly a sausage fest?

And back to Shantae, question for you folks. When we get a new Shantae game, are you guys hoping more for the Metroid-vania feel of the first two games or the World system that we got in Pirate's Curse and HGH?
Either or for me for the Shantae games. Never played Mario RPG or BD. So I'm indifferent when it comes to those games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm, so supposedly there was a Shantae leak on 4chan, showing the fighters page of the website, and for a little while, under the copyright part of the bottom, it said wayforward technologies Inc. I don't have the Article but I have the video talking about it and screenshot from the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wlluq6p1vk

This looks like it was posted the 25th on 4chan, but I don't recalled anyone mentioning it here. Probably fake, but just wanted to post it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
BTW, concerning that image "leak"...am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if we got a Bravely Default rep over Geno? Especially Agnes since Smash is still mostly a sausage fest?

And back to Shantae, question for you folks. When we get a new Shantae game, are you guys hoping more for the Metroid-vania feel of the first two games or the World system that we got in Pirate's Curse and HGH?
No, but other Geno fans don't want the spot taken at all. And of course I think we can get both Geno and another SE rep, so to me i'll just take both lol. But yeah that pic is fake af.

I like metroid-vania, so I'm all for it. Also, the more rpg elements there are, the more it's a hook for me, so I wouldn't mind more of those too :)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Hmmm, so supposedly there was a Shantae leak on 4chan, showing the fighters page of the website, and for a little while, under the copyright part of the bottom, it said wayforward technologies Inc. I don't have the Article but I have the video talking about it and screenshot from the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wlluq6p1vk

This looks like it was posted the 25th on 4chan, but I don't recalled anyone mentioning it here. Probably fake, but just wanted to post it.
As much as I would like it to be true, it's most likely fake. Anonymous 4Chan leaks are so easy to fake and make.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Yeah... I believe that's fake. That would be a very amateurish leak that Nintendo would ever do on accident.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

It's easy enough to fake, unfortunately.

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
You can easily just go "Inspect Element" and type it into the coding yourself before taking a screenshot. Sorry to say...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah I thought that would be easy to fake. I just wanted to share with you guys. Its our first Shantae fake leak after all I believe.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
There were a couple fake 4Chan leaks that had Shantae before, but as with all anonymous text leaks, treat them as fake and ignore. They are not worth getting your hopes up over.

As we get closer to December, I fully expect more fake leaks like that fake image leak that should not have got as much traction as it did. Shantae will likely be in a few of them even though most will piggyback off of other leaks and bandwagon characters.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
So, with classic mode, the fights are themed with the character you're playing as, each character has their own roster of opponents and stages n stuff.

what do you think Shantae's will be like?

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
So, with classic mode, the fights are themed with the character you're playing as, each character has their own roster of opponents and stages n stuff.

Well I could easily see Ridley and K. Rool in her path for the obvious reason.

Other than that though, another likely theme would be her fighting all the veteran women of Smash, because if she DOES get revealed, it's pretty damn likely she will be the only newcomer female that's not an Echo (unless Isabelle ends up being unique as well.)

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I don't want to think it's confirmation bias, but I don't believe I've felt this way about a character's chances before. It really feels like Shantae could be in, but on the other hand I feel like I should also prepare for the worst.

Doesn't help that right now WayForward's behavior be like:

somethingfishy.png

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Yeah I thought that would be easy to fake. I just wanted to share with you guys. Its our first Shantae fake leak after all I believe.
There was the text leak saying she and Geno would be next revealed along with being able to summon Assist Trophies with taunts. There was also one that said she'd be an Assist Trophy, but I disbelieve any leak that can't spell character names right.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There was the text leak saying she and Geno would be next revealed along with being able to summon Assist Trophies with taunts. There was also one that said she'd be an Assist Trophy, but I disbelieve any leak that can't spell character names right.
Oh right, I forgot that summon AT with taunts one lol.

Still its surprising how little she pops up in these leaks.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If Dixie Kong makes it in, i could see the two of them duking it out in a sort of battle of the hair-whipping heroines. Or maybe battling Duck Hunt in a Coin Battle referencing a certain optional thing that could be done in Risky’s Revenge
An event match where Dixie and Shantae team up to fight Bayonetta in a Stamina-type Battle using only their hair whipping attaks could be cool.

Considering I've been waiting over 12 years for Geno... Yes, I would be very upset. xD

Especially in lieu of all of Sakurai's ****-teasing about the character. It would feel tactless. And that's not to say it can't happen or that Sakurai isn't allowed to choose Agnes over Geno. I just mean that, after the Mii costume with its own splash screen and saying he wanted him in the game since Brawl in an interview right around the time he would have already known the final roster for Ultimate... Like why even do and say all that stuff if you're not going to follow through? Just let the character die with dignity and stop giving the fans false hope.

I would rather be given the truth that he's not in rather than be given all this rope to hang myself with.

I prefer the map system myself, though I do see the appeal in the Metroid-vania style of exploration. Really, I just want even bigger games regardless of the style they choose to go with.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I don't want to think it's confirmation bias, but I don't believe I've felt this way about a character's chances before. It really feels like Shantae could be in, but on the other hand I feel like I should also prepare for the worst.

Doesn't help that right now WayForward's behavior be like:

View attachment 160851
Yeah she absolutely has to be in Smash in some form. But like everyone has already said millions of time on this thread, even though it's almost guaranteed she is in, she could even be a Commander Video normal trophy and they would have to be this silent.

I personally am also on the more skeptical side of the "She hasn't been appearing in tons of Indie games like Shovel Knight" argument. For all we know, Yacht Club could be letting Shovel Knight into all these games for practically free just for all this publicity, but WayForward has been more a business than anything these past two decades. After their years of contracting work, I don't think they would ever let Shantae crossover without a decent financial benefit.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Yeah it would be nice, but it's 100% fake. You don't even have to Photoshop it. You can edit the page as an HTML locally and take a snapshot of it. I just tried it myself.
Right click -> Inspect -> Right click over area of text you want to edit -> Edit text -> Take screencap.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I prefer the map system myself, though I do see the appeal in the Metroid-vania style of exploration. Really, I just want even bigger games regardless of the style they choose to go with.
I've always been more on the side of the exploration-based gameplay, it's really why I came to love Shantae. I actually first discovered her through the GBC game (in computer class on a website that had the entire emulator with all the games on it, lol) right around the time Risky's Revenge came out.

I am fine with how Pirate's Curse works, but I'll be really honest and say I didn't really enjoy how HGH functioned all that much. It was amazing seeing Shantae with such a good looking style, but I didn't like the linear level system.

Now that she has grown popular though, I'd REALLY love them to remake Shantae GBC in a "Zero Mission" kind of way, with tons of updates that fix the glaring flaws of the original, to test to see how her new fanbase likes the original Zeldavania style.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
IMO her transformations should be part of her final smash and for her normal moveset they should implement her Pirate's Curse gear.
I almost never use final smashes, and you wouldn't see her transformations in competitive play.

As for Shantae, personally I'd prefer her to use more magic than pirate gear. I'm more for the harpy transformation for up-b and fireball instead of a gun. But that's my preference, I guess.
I think there is enough buttons to add all of these aspects to her move set. Usually more move set potential is better since I think Sakurai would try to incorporate a variety of things like he did with mega man. She has potential to be a character with different play styles.

Grab
up throw
down throw
left throw
right throw
Pummel

Up tilt
down tilt
right tilt
jab

neutral air
up air
down air
forward air
back air
(air tether)

up special
down special
neutral special
side special

Conservatively you could add 14 moves which is plenty for both pirate gear, magic and transformations. With grabs involved you could add more, like transformation for a kill throw (i'm thinking spider Shantae) or a slashing pummel with a Scimitar, or adding a projectile to her jab combo or aerial (like villager). Hair whip for a tilt, etc. You can represent a lot with the available 'attack slots'.

Most people believe the bandwagon of "since Shovel Knight is a AT, that's all we are getting for Indie Rep."
Tbh if Sakurai has to choose between two characters he could easily pick the "less significant" one. Like "this character is more popular, but I think I can make a more interesting game with this slightly less popular character."

We talk a lot about popularity, legacy, and Nintendo-ness, but these are only some variables. (And it's not like Shovel Knight was far above Shantae, only marginally so in the ballot). A creator's perspective also matters. Probably the most if anything.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Maybe since she’s always dealing with Scuttle Town being on fire, maybe she could be face off again fighters with fire motifs/moves, or maybe it could be based off the journey one of her games, the stages could represent the levels from the game and battle their respective fighters, ex. Half-Genie Hero:

Main Street-Great Bay
Mermaid Falls-Kongo Jungle
Tassel Town-Mushroomy Kingdom
Cape Crustacean-Big Blue
Hypno Baron’s Castle-Dracula’s Castle
Tinkerbat Factory-Norfair

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I almost never use final smashes, and you wouldn't see her transformations in competitive play.
Yeah I missed that post, but gosh having her transformations locked behind her Final Smash is such a bad idea.

I always figured the way Sakurai would probably do her if she did get in, would be to focus more on her original incarnation. So yeah, have Harpy be her recovery, but then give her the way she danced in Risky's Revenge as Neutral B. She would cycle through her three original dances besides Harpy, (Monkey/Elephant/Spider) and the dance she was on when you pressed special again would be a move using that transformation--and naturally she could store it.

It'd be like a different version of how Robin's Thunder works. And with all this new UI stuff, she could even get her HGH sprites as her UI indicator for the move, since that's probably what the actual designs of the transformations would be based on, especially cause HGH spider Shantae is a monster girl.. and well, you know Japan.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah I missed that post, but gosh having her transformations locked behind her Final Smash is such a bad idea.

I always figured the way Sakurai would probably do her if she did get in, would be to focus more on her original incarnation. So yeah, have Harpy be her recovery, but then give her the way she danced in Risky's Revenge as Neutral B. She would cycle through her three original dances besides Harpy, (Monkey/Elephant/Spider) and the dance she was on when you pressed special again would be a move using that transformation--and naturally she could store it.

It'd be like a different version of how Robin's Thunder works. And with all this new UI stuff, she could even get her HGH sprites as her UI indicator for the move, since that's probably what the actual designs of the transformations would be based on, especially cause HGH spider Shantae is a monster girl.. and well, you know Japan.
That was similar to how I imagined it working back during Smash 4’s run, but now I feel like it would take too long to cycle though her dances Risky Revenge style and I remember a lot of people here saying similar things back then (since transforming fully wasn’t an option back then, I only had the transformations pull off a single attack, but I remember getting feedback on how clunky that sounds). I believe that was also the main complaint with Shulk’s Monado Arts, and that involved mashing the button. Considering how they changed up the Monado Arts for this game, I still think the HGH method of transforming would be the best option for her neutral special.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, have Harpy be her recovery,
I’m quite fond of her pirate’s gear cannon recovery used in smash crusade.

She could have multiple recovery options. (This could be a down b for example).

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
That was similar to how I imagined it working back during Smash 4’s run, but now I feel like it would take too long to cycle though her dances Risky Revenge style and I remember a lot of people here saying similar things back then (since transforming fully wasn’t an option back then, I only had the transformations pull off a single attack, but I remember getting feedback on how clunky that sounds). I believe that was also the main complaint with Shulk’s Monado Arts, and that involved mashing the button. Considering how they changed up the Monado Arts for this game, I still think the HGH method of transforming would be the best option for her neutral special.
Monado Arts are not even comparable to a "charging" dance system. Like I said before it would pretty much be like Robin's Thunder, and her dance animations would not even take as long as it takes Robin to get to each Thunder tier, at least in Smash 4.

How would an HGH style dance move in work in the air? Is she just going to stand on the air dancing? At least with a "charge" style move she can just use the move she is on in the air.

It's really just those two options though, having transformations or pirate moves as her specials would mean she would never dance outside of taunts, and that would ruin her entire character.

I guess at best otherwise she could dance as her charging animation for transforming smash attacks, but even that doesn't feel very true to her character.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Monado Arts are not even comparable to a "charging" dance system. Like I said before it would pretty much be like Robin's Thunder, and her dance animations would not even take as long as it takes Robin to get to each Thunder tier, at least in Smash 4.

How would an HGH style dance move in work in the air? Is she just going to stand on the air dancing? At least with a "charge" style move she can just use the move she is on in the air.

It's really just those two options though, having transformations or pirate moves as her specials would mean she would never dance outside of taunts, and that would ruin her entire character.

I guess at best otherwise she could dance as her charging animation for transforming smash attacks, but even that doesn't feel very true to her character.
It'd be nice if they could be as true to it as they could, as long as she's still a good fighter. It depends what's the best they can do. Almost all the characters don't play really true to themselves. For me Megaman should be able to move and shoot better and charge while moving, but now charging is just a smash attack, it's not even like other characters where you can charge it with a b-move. So the question is just what do they think is a good compromise to fit in smash.
And like I said, hope it's truer, and that she dances as much as she can :p But that may not end up the case. We can just trust in Nintendo..
And keep talking about ideas I guess :)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Looking back on your posts, I realized we have different ideas for how the transformations would work in this game. I have it in my mind that the transformations would be fully controlled, roughly 15 second (but cancelled at any time) forms with their own attributes and one or two moves each. The charge thing could work better for having the transformations perform a one and done attack, but for what I have, the move would probably benefit more with the quick-selection.

Seeing her HGH dance, her feet don’t look planted on the ground as least not as much as Shulk’s pose is for Monado Arts and he can use it in the air, she could potentially pull it off

I don’t think it’d ruin her character per say, I mean the only other times she dances aside to transform in her games is at the dance parlor and occasionally using the lamp, though I’ve started finding ways to use her dance moves in her moveset (I have her A button dance/RR elephant dance as her down smash)

(Just wanted to say before I end off this post is that the smash charge was also in my original ideas as well)

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
It'd be nice if they could be as true to it as they could, as long as she's still a good fighter. It depends what's the best they can do. Almost all the characters don't play really true to themselves. For me Megaman should be able to move and shoot better and charge while moving, but now charging is just a smash attack, it's not even like other characters where you can charge it with a b-move. So the question is just what do they think is a good compromise to fit in smash.
And like I said, hope it's truer, and that she dances as much as she can :p But that may not end up the case. We can just trust in Nintendo..
And keep talking about ideas I guess :)
Well yeah there will always have to be a compromise. The best representation Shantae could be would have to be 4 (at least semi) playable characters and that is NOT happening lol.

But I think Megaman is a pretty good compromise all things considered, even if like you said they made his charge shot work a little weird (but even Samus should gave been able to run and charge, I guess they never wanted to give that a chance.)

Shantae having no dancing at all in her moveset wouldn't even be a compromise, though. It wouldn't be the first time I guess; I will never get over how Ganondorf is treated in this game...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Since I severely doubt that Inti Creates will be helping them a third time, it would be good for WF to return to Metroidvania style, especially since Mummy Demastered shows they still got it.

Well yeah there will always have to be a compromise. The best representation Shantae could be would have to be 4 (at least semi) playable characters and that is NOT happening lol.

But I think Megaman is a pretty good compromise all things considered, even if like you said they made his charge shot work a little weird (but even Samus should gave been able to run and charge, I guess they never wanted to give that a chance.)

Shantae having no dancing at all in her moveset wouldn't even be a compromise, though. It wouldn't be the first time I guess; I will never get over how Ganondorf is treated in this game...
Let's keep in mind that Sakurai has been mostly been increasing accuracy with newcomers in general, as time went on. Besides, none of the third parties barring Pac-Man had a lot that was made out of whole cloth for them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Definitely a dance off against Bayonetta in one of them.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I really like the world system of Pirate's Curse and HGH.
HGH had really fun levels IMO, felt a lot like Megaman X, but I'd love if there were some more characters in the worlds, like how you had to interact with some characters and have some silly adventures in Pirate's Curse.

Buuut really I'd probably play any Shantae game because I love the characters, the world, the music, and the gameplay <3

Also I think one of Shantae's matches would be against an inkling in classic mode, they both transform and Shantae often fights a squid!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well definitely sounds like something's up.

I think for now at least we should focus on supporting Shantae in other ways like making movesets and drawing fanart.

I got some stuff with Shantae in the pipeline for my webcomic but it's quite a bit away from being done.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I'm learning how to draw now so I want to get my art out. Especially if we can make that collage idea a reality.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Also, has anyone noticed that WayForward's Twitter has been comprised of almost nothing but fan art lately? The last major thing WayForward has done was Jammies Mode.

Even if it isn't Smash, I'm hoping for something new pretty soon on their side.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's their business account so they only tweet business related things and respond to questions/fanart directed at them. With HGH winding down they probably won't have anything to post until their next game.

Top Bottom