• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Shantae may not have the most realistic evidence, but she certainly does have the most theoretical evidence.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
This is gonna be a complete stretch but it's a fun thought: Wayforward is celebrating 60k followers with that image.

We're still in the 60's range in the fighter roster (K. Rool being #67) ;)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not specifically about your post (because it makes sense there), but I don't like how often this phrase is used in regards to Shantae. Sounds so self-defeating.
Oh, I'd definitely say we are past the point of any reasonable expectations for characters. Huge icons (Simon & Richter) plus super-demanded Nintendo stars (Ridley & King K. Rool) have already been revealed, against all odds. Whatever they reveal from this point forward is going to be a big surprise, possibly for better or worse.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Us after every tweet:
Yeah I've been pointing out the connections on another forum and I got the online equivalent of unimpressed stares when mentioning the artwork tweets...but hey better than being chewed out!

Can't blame someone for trying to have fun with this whole thing right?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
On an unrelated note, the ESRB rating came out.

E10+ for Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, and Suggestive Themes (not Mild like 3DS/Wii U, I'm guessing Bayo being base game forced this change)

Anyone else thinks Shantae's chances are unchanged as a result?

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I'd definitely say we are past the point of any reasonable expectations for characters. Huge icons (Simon & Richter) plus super-demanded Nintendo stars (Ridley & King K. Rool) have already been revealed, against all odds. Whatever they reveal from this point forward is going to be a big surprise, possibly for better or worse.
They may have one or two surprise characters that no one expects but there are just so many characters on the ballot being discussed openly that it would be hard for me to be surprised. Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Isabelle, Bandana Dee, Ken, Dixie, Xeno series(elma etc.), Skull Kid, (any)Pokemon. Any one of these could be revealed and I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest, though some of them I want more than others.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

E10+ for Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, and Suggestive Themes (not Mild like 3DS/Wii U, I'm guessing Bayo being base game forced this change)

There might also be Carmilla, if she can be fought outside her mask form. Castlevania doesn't skimp on nudity when it comes to fantastical ladies.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice

Pirate's Curse had an E-10+ rating and that is essentially the modern Shantae design so I don't see it being an issue.. HGH got a T rating but that's probably due to stuff like Giga Mermaid which was an overtly suggestive battle.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the topic of tweets, I will pay anyone who can get me this pin:

That reminds me, Udon did plan on making an art book for Shantae, didn't they?

I want a shantae shirt.
Teepublic does have some.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Nope, the game has Bayonetta and she's way more...risque than Shantae.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what could be possible Shantae related events? That sounds like a fun, often less talked about topic.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nope, the game has Bayonetta and she's way more...risque than Shantae.
Attitude, yes. Wardrobe? Errrr... it's debatable, especially in Smash. Bayonetta is pretty much fully clothed with only a small cleavage window in her Bayo 1 outfit and shows a bit of leg and arms at most. Shantae basically only has a bra and some wristbands on her upper body, and maybe a vest. Don't even get started on the alternate outfits she had pre-Half-Genie Hero.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Attitude, yes. Wardrobe? Errrr... it's debatable, especially in Smash. Bayonetta is pretty much fully clothed with only a small cleavage window in her Bayo 1 outfit and shows a bit of leg and arms at most. Shantae basically only has a bra and some wristbands on her upper body, and maybe a vest. Don't even get started on the alternate outfits she had pre-Half-Genie Hero.
Doesn't Bayonetta briefly show her backside when using her Final Smash?

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Doesn't Bayonetta briefly show her backside when using her Final Smash?
On her smash attacks, but it is highly censored unlike in her original games.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Her smash attacks uses her hair clothes to attack people and lore wise her giant daemon summoning supposedly makes her completely naked lore wise, (I'm not sure on that since I'm not that big on Bayonetta or Devil May Cry games.)

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Her smash attacks uses her hair clothes to attack people and lore wise her giant daemon summoning supposedly makes her completely naked lore wise, (I'm not sure on that since I'm not that big on Bayonetta or Devil May Cry games.)
No, you're right.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to believe these little coincidences aren't really coincidences anymore.
Can I take off my conspiracy hat now?? This HAS to be it!!

In all seriousness, that sound a little TO fishy, especially since they like to drop off hints. But how do we know its NOT just a coincidence? I want my hopes to shoot through the roof too, but I don't want to be sad in the end.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I know this is randon but I love Shantae's personality. She reminds me a lot of Daisy.

She's literally just composed of energy and attitude. She's so damn cool. She's like the most heroic and brave protagonist that I've ever seen. In a way, I always saw Shantae and Sky as opposites.
Shanate being the hot headed heroic tomboy and Sky being the cautious level headed mother.

Idk. She has so much personality, I love it. I just really hope that if she gets in, Sakurai displays a lot of those traits she has.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can I take off my conspiracy hat now?? This HAS to be it!!

In all seriousness, that sound a little TO fishy, especially since they like to drop off hints. But how do we know its NOT just a coincidence? I want my hopes to shoot through the roof too, but I don't want to be sad in the end.
She's either in or she's not, you have to be prepared for both options either way.
It'll be awesome if she is, and it is what it is if she isn't (and maybe it's ok to be sad a little sometimes)

I hope she's in, and that's all :)

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I know this is randon but I love Shantae's personality. She reminds me a lot of Daisy.

She's literally just composed of energy and attitude. She's so damn cool. She's like the most heroic and brave protagonist that I've ever seen. In a way, I always saw Shantae and Sky as opposites.
Shanate being the hot headed heroic tomboy and Sky being the cautious level headed mother.

Idk. She has so much personality, I love it. I just really hope that if she gets in, Sakurai displays a lot of those traits she has.
Shantae has so much more personality than Shovel Knight and Bandana Dee, if she's not in the base roster then she should be DLC

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You know, what could be possible Shantae related events? That sounds like a fun, often less talked about topic.
If Dixie Kong makes it in, i could see the two of them duking it out in a sort of battle of the hair-whipping heroines. Or maybe battling Duck Hunt in a Coin Battle referencing a certain optional thing that could be done in Risky’s Revenge

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
In a way, I think it's good that Shantae hasn't appeared in most of these obviously fake leaks that have been popping up recently. It could mean that the NDA we think WayForward is under is very effective.

And I'm still convinced that Nintendo is deliberately putting false info out there to week out these leakers.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
BTW, concerning that image "leak"...am I the only one who wouldn't be upset if we got a Bravely Default rep over Geno? Especially Agnes since Smash is still mostly a sausage fest?

And back to Shantae, question for you folks. When we get a new Shantae game, are you guys hoping more for the Metroid-vania feel of the first two games or the World system that we got in Pirate's Curse and HGH?

Top Bottom