• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Man I try not to be a petty person, but I would enjoy the schadenfreude if Shantae became playable and just watch GameFAQs cry salty tears

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This subject was kinda touched upon before, but what characters in Smash Bros would you love to see Shantae interact with? I know that her actually having a full blown conversation with anyone is unlikely outside of Snake and the Uprising cast, but it is still a fun question. Who knows, maybe we will have a cutscene filled story mode like Brawl where we could see some crossover dreams come true.
Shantae dancing with Bayonetta and then Shantae fakesout Bayonetta after a brief beat where they end their "dance-off" and sudden huge explosion.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
This subject was kinda touched upon before, but what characters in Smash Bros would you love to see Shantae interact with? I know that her actually having a full blown conversation with anyone is unlikely outside of Snake and the Uprising cast, but it is still a fun question. Who knows, maybe we will have a cutscene filled story mode like Brawl where we could see some crossover dreams come true.
I believe someone mentioned it before, but I could totally see her idolizing/fangirling over Samus (since her early games and especially Pirate's Curse are very "Metroidvania") as a hero she looks up to.

Maybe Simon too. Hey maybe that's why she whips her hair for all we know xD

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Anyone from the DK crew if she tried to communicate with them by transforming into a monkey. I think that'd be really cute :)
Especially if Dixie got in! Ponytail monkeys!

The previously suggested dance off with Bayo is a good one.

Also, I'd want her to interact with an Inkling, 'cause they're kids that can turn into squids.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could see Shantae working out with :ultwiifittrainer: just to stay in shape, and maybe learn some yoga to incorporate in her dances?
Given her historically troubled sleep, she'd appreciate :ultjigglypuff: in case she needs more quality shut-eye.

She'd wonder how the heck :ultzelda: can have so much light magic and still be fully human. To which she'd reply she's actually Hylian. On a somewhat similar note she'd wonder how :ultbayonetta: and to a lesser extent :ultrobin can use dark magic without losing themselves to evil.

Her relationship with :ultbowser: is similar to those with her barons: beat him up mercilessly when he does evil, then help him dust off and pick himself back up.

She tries to learn dances to turn into any Pokemon available.

I believe someone mentioned it before, but I could totally see her idolizing/fangirling over Samus (since her early games and especially Pirate's Curse are very "Metroidvania") as a hero she looks up to.

Maybe Simon too. Hey maybe that's why she whips her hair for all we know xD
Samus and Shantae share a lot more in common than just their gameplay styles (besides, Samus probably lacks the medium awareness to even understand such notions). They'd probably share their experiences with one another, getting to know what drives the other forward. On the humourous side, have Shantae suggest :ultzss: to grow her ponytail longer so as to fight more efficiently without her suit. Not sure how Samus would respond to THAT... Also, :ultdarksamus: would be quite interested in drawing out Nega Shantae as a fellow power-hungry comrade.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shantae and Pit(:ultpit:) could easily bond over there medium awareness, there mythical nature, and love of healing hot springs. I could also see some good comedy coming from her interactions with Dark Pit(:ultdarkpit:) and there likely chaotic first meeting due to her history with dark copies.
If possible, I would love to see how she would interact with Mega Man(:ultmegaman:) and Ryu(:ultryu:), considering her first game was published by Capcom and I am curious how Shantae would acknowledged that connection.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae and Pit(:ultpit:) could easily bond over there medium awareness, there mythical nature, and love of healing hot springs. I could also see some good comedy coming from her interactions with Dark Pit(:ultdarkpit:) and there likely chaotic first meeting due to her history with dark copies.
If possible, I would love to see how she would interact with Mega Man(:ultmegaman:) and Ryu(:ultryu:), considering her first game was published by Capcom and I am curious how Shantae would acknowledged that connection.
Shantae seems more partial to hot baths than hot springs specifically. Though I guess there's overlap anyhow.

She could easily be the Zero to Mega Man's X. They also both share a loathing of spikes.

Ryu would probably be interested in teaching Shantae some more hand-to-hand combat techniques. Like how to add more oomph to her Power Kick.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I could see her and :ultpalutena: being close friends as they're both have this meta humor and sense of self-awareness about them. Plus, they both have long and eccentric hair.

:ultwario: and :ulttoonlink: due their history with pirates.

:ultzelda: as she's one of the only other magic users in Smash. For a similar reason, I think she'd be friends with :ultbayonetta: and :ultrobin.

I also think she'd totally fangirl over :ultsamus:/:ultzss: over many factors including hair, pirates, and similar game style.

Any of these could be involved in her trailer.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
BTW, I don't know who it was, but someone was saying how disappointed at the lack of Squid Baron love there was. He would make a perfect Assist Trophy, if you ask me. Even give him dialogue about how he was hoping to be playable.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
:ultzelda: as she's one of the only other magic users in Smash.
Oh man I just imagined Zelda giving Shantae magic lessons, especially since Shantae seems to have an affinity for fire and a lot of Zelda's spell animations for Ultimate have a fire-y effect

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Jigglypuff might not like Shantae sleeping during her singing. Shantae wakes up with black marker all over her face like in the Pokemon cartoons.
Except Jigglypuff intentionally uses the soporific qualities of her song in battle. Unlike anime Puff who seems unaware that it's even a thing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
BTW, I don't know who it was, but someone was saying how disappointed at the lack of Squid Baron love there was. He would make a perfect Assist Trophy, if you ask me. Even give him dialogue about how he was hoping to be playable.
You know, if shantae were to get a boss like Dracula or the Rathalos, I could see it being either Risky or Squid Baron, with whoever lacks the boss role becoming an assist. I do think the SB would be overjoyed with the honor of being a boss in Smash Bros.

Also, I thought of another possible interaction. Perhaps she would overhear how the Link's(:ultlink:/:ulttoonlink:/:ultyounglink:) would gain health by collecting the hearts of there enemies, and then she would one up them in brutality by explaining how she got more health during Pirate's Curse.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, if shantae were to get a boss like Dracula or the Rathalos, I could see it being either Risky or Squid Baron, with whoever lacks the boss role becoming an assist. I do think the SB would be overjoyed with the honor of being a boss in Smash Bros.

Also, I thought of another possible interaction. Perhaps she would overhear how the Link's(:ultlink:/:ulttoonlink:/:ultyounglink:) would gain health by collecting the hearts of there enemies, and then she would one up them in brutality by explaining how she got more health during Pirate's Curse.
I dunno, stabbing, slashing or shooting the eyes out of big monsters to get health upgrades seems about the same level of brutality to me. Not to mention their willingness to hold fairies hostage just in case they need an emergency heal.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I could see the Fire Emblem characters being intrigued by Shantae's dancing, and going "You remind me of someone I know" (except Ike, since there's no dancer in his games).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I dunno, stabbing, slashing or shooting the eyes out of big monsters to get health upgrades seems about the same level of brutality to me. Not to mention their willingness to hold fairies hostage just in case they need an emergency heal.
But those are dangerous monsters. I feel like melting down 32 harmless squids that are likely the children of someone you know is a bit more hardcore, if a bit more morally questionable.

D

Deleted member

As a lover of music; I have to ask, what top 3 Shantae tracks do you want to hear in Smash Ultimate?
I might be the latest to this party. And since I doubt that we're going to get the entire Pirate's Curse OST, here's tracks that won't be included in Ultimate, but are my absolute favorites from PC.

1. Ancient Aquifers
2. Abandoned Factory
3. Rave In The Grave
4. Scuttle Town Theme

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Squid Baron as a Nintend Dog type AT then?
I feel he’d be more like Resetti, since they’re both known for their dialogue. However, I feel they’d be more likely to actually bring back Resetti, since he’s actually from Nintendo, and would save them the trouble of writing a lot of dialogue (if I recall correctly, he had lines for each of Brawl’s fighters), and then just add Risky or Rotty.

D

Deleted member

Squid Baron as a Nintend Dog type AT then?
Maybe like a hybrid of sorts. He uses his inpenetrable spin attack across the stage, but also has Resetti text-bubbles about his joy of getting promoted to Smash... or whatever vacation pamphlets he happened to find, and stuff.

Also, on the topic of Squid Baron, I was recently thinking about ideas of Shantae-based Smash items, and one that came to mind was the Heart Squid (from Pirate's Curse).
It operates like a Dragoon and/or Daybreak, where you collect it in pieces (in this case 4 instead of 3,) and once you collect all 4, you get an extra life. What do you guys think?

Also, what other item ideas could you see happening?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Maybe like a hybrid of sorts. He uses his inpenetrable spin attack across the stage, but also has Resetti text-bubbles about his joy of getting promoted to Smash... or whatever vacation pamphlets he happened to find, and stuff.

Also, on the topic of Squid Baron, I was recently thinking about ideas of Shantae-based Smash items, and one that came to mind was the Heart Squid (from Pirate's Curse).
It operates like a Dragoon and/or Daybreak, where you collect it in pieces (in this case 4 instead of 3,) and once you collect all 4, you get an extra life. What do you guys think?

Maybe the starfish enemies, which would act like they do in HGH: latch onto a fighter, do a bit of damage, slow their movement, and maybe even prevent attacks until they dash-dance them off.

Edit: I could see someone having to throw them before they attach to anyone, like the Spike Ball.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I know I have it as her down special, but Pike Ball could probably work for an item, that or Monster Milk

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

But those are dangerous monsters. I feel like melting down 32 harmless squids that are likely the children of someone you know is a bit more hardcore, if a bit more morally questionable.
Well...to be fair, Shantae isn't melting them down herself lol. And man, that's a concept that never came back.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Why does GameFAQs hate Shantae so much?
From what I've seen, GameFAQs users don't really want any female characters. Even Dixie tends to get the short end of the stick over there in favor of everyone on that poll.

Pretty much every character I want is female, so I, uh, don't really mesh well with those people.

Shadowknight1

From what I've seen, GameFAQs users don't really want any female characters. Even Dixie tends to get the short end of the stick over there in favor of everyone on that poll.

Pretty much every character I want is female, so I, uh, don't really mesh well with those people.
The game needs a few more. I don't know if I count Robin and Corrin since the males of both are the default. Same with Villager and now Pokemon Trainer, I guess. But the girl Inkling takes the lead for that one though.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
The game needs a few more. I don't know if I count Robin and Corrin since the males of both are the default. Same with Villager and now Pokemon Trainer, I guess. But the girl Inkling takes the lead for that one though.
Yeah I was pretty sure Corn was gonna be female as default in Ultimate after Warriors, unfortunately not so.

Luckily they actually went female Inkling as default when branding Splatoon, it's nice to see a female default for customizable characters.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Corrin really should have been female default, there was every reason to do so, but no. I also am hesitant counting Inkling despite being female default because they more than any other avatar character are often referred to as "they" without gender. But we'll see how things go when the game actually coes out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why does GameFAQs hate Shantae so much?
This doesn't seem to bash Shantae necessarily, to me, it says what character do you want '(dis) confirmed', so there's actually more emphasis on the confirmation part.
It seems like just a friendly jab at the top contenders. Not saying there aren't jealous voices, but I think people aren't all hateful, it depends how you take it. Like alright now let's just get that character confirmed or not so we can all move on..

Or maybe the majority on there doesn't like her and I'm just giving benefit. dunno :p

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
This doesn't seem to bash Shantae necessarily, to me, it says what character do you want '(dis) confirmed', so there's actually more emphasis on the confirmation part.
It seems like just a friendly jab at the top contenders. Not saying there aren't jealous voices, but I think people aren't all hateful, it depends how you take it. Like alright now let's just get that character confirmed or not so we can all move on..

Or maybe the majority on there doesn't like her and I'm just giving benefit. dunno :p
GameFAQs is full of very spiteful and mean-spirited people. It can be a fun place sometimes, but good god is the negativity and trolling overwhelming.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I haven't visited ShameFaqs in three days. Ain't goin' back there unless Shantae joins the roster---only to observe the hate bombs that would go off.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If Shantae gets in I hope Patricia Wagon will get in as AT.
Though Sakurai is crazy enough to put Patricia as playable character and Shantae as AT.

grizby2

Smash Lord
1000th message >:]

I just finished jammies mode. tassel town really pissed me off with the tower and what not.... BUT, still loved the experience!
the shantae series has a bright future to look forward to, and I mean WAYFORWARD.:awesome:

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
We are now officially in September! When do you think we'll get that inevitable Nintendo Direct this month? I'm thinking either mid or late September.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I think the best interaction Shantae would have if she is in Ultimate would be with the founders of the gaming genre(:ultgnw::ultpacman::ultdk::ultmario::ultsamus::ultlink::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultsimon:).
EDIT: "We are now officially in September! When do you think we'll get that inevitable Nintendo Direct this month? I'm thinking either mid or late September." I think so to. We should be getting some news about the new characters. I am thinking One(or two) Unique Fighter(s) and one(or three) Echo Fighter(s).

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Since the online service is slated for the "second half" of September, I will guess that it'll be within the first too weeks. I doubt it'll be this week, so I'm going to guess the second week of September. Probably the 11th or 12th as the last direct was midweek.

This will most likely be a general Nintendo Direct that outlines the games they have planned for the rest of the year/early next year, the online service, and one or two Smash character reveals.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
You guys remember that time when WayForward appeared on the Smash Bros Website? Was it a fake or did they add it by mistake and then removed it?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So we already talked about how it seems Daisy is bouncing her hip against someone else, and that very well could be shantae.

But who else looks like they could be interacting with others? We know not all of them have to be. Like Dark Samus and K Rool don't seem like they are. But we know new fighters could though, as with Chrome and Robin and possibly Ridley and Toon Link.

So I looked and found a few other possible characters that could be interacting with other new comers.

Villager here looks like it is by himself just trying to catch a butterfly, but I could easily see someone else her could be chasing, or cheering him on. Isabelle comes to mind here.

I mentioned Toon Link with Ridley, but on the non wrap around picture thise wouldn'y work. So its possible he is aiming at someone else

Right now it looks like Mewtwo is fighting Lucas, but he is not looking towards Mewtwo at all. I feel like this will get moved later for each of them to be fighting someone different.

He's commanding his Pikman(carrying Mr Saturn for some reason...), but it feels like something is missing here. Why is this the only Item here? That Mr Saturn is very odd and I think is either tied to someone like Ninten chaising it, or possibly a place hold for Carrying someone new.

Snake seems to be taking aim at someone, but I cannot find who it could be.

Last this is more something that proves we are getting more. Mii gunner is not with the other 2 Mii's, which seems very odd. They should be together.

Top Bottom