• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, Smash site leak was quickly debunked as a fake. It's too easy to make.

I don't believe any leakers or random Tiwtter users. The only way we'll know for sure if it comes from Sakurai or WayForward.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Shantae gets in I hope Patricia Wagon will get in as AT.
Though Sakurai is crazy enough to put Patricia as playable character and Shantae as AT.
I'd be conflicted about that. Yay for lesser-known Wayforward IPs being known, nay for Shantae having her potential stifled.

We are now officially in September! When do you think we'll get that inevitable Nintendo Direct this month? I'm thinking either mid or late September.
Next saturday, I feel.

So we already talked about how it seems Daisy is bouncing her hip against someone else, and that very well could be shantae.

But who else looks like they could be interacting with others? We know not all of them have to be. Like Dark Samus and K Rool don't seem like they are. But we know new fighters could though, as with Chrome and Robin and possibly Ridley and Toon Link.

So I looked and found a few other possible characters that could be interacting with other new comers.

Villager here looks like it is by himself just trying to catch a butterfly, but I could easily see someone else her could be chasing, or cheering him on. Isabelle comes to mind here.

I mentioned Toon Link with Ridley, but on the non wrap around picture thise wouldn'y work. So its possible he is aiming at someone else

Right now it looks like Mewtwo is fighting Lucas, but he is not looking towards Mewtwo at all. I feel like this will get moved later for each of them to be fighting someone different.

He's commanding his Pikman(carrying Mr Saturn for some reason...), but it feels like something is missing here. Why is this the only Item here? That Mr Saturn is very odd and I think is either tied to someone like Ninten chaising it, or possibly a place hold for Carrying someone new.

Snake seems to be taking aim at someone, but I cannot find who it could be.

Last this is more something that proves we are getting more. Mii gunner is not with the other 2 Mii's, which seems very odd. They should be together.
Let's not forget "even Wario is afraid" of something threatening that clearly isn't just Pokemon Trainer.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So wait... if nothing has the new tag attached in the corner on the site anymore, does this mean a direct is going to hit soon, or at least the reveal of some new info via random blog updates? Would that possibly be when Shantae or Bandana Dee could be revealed? (Both seem like perfect picks for a general direct)
Let's not forget "even Wario is afraid" of something threatening that clearly isn't just Pokemon Trainer.
That thing with Wario being afraid of PT is probably just a throwback to subspace, when PT beat his ***.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Daisy does look like she is interacting with someone friendly. I would be so happy to see my two favorite video characters being friends !!

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
So wait... if nothing has the new tag attached in the corner on the site anymore, does this mean a direct is going to hit soon, or at least the reveal of some new info via random blog updates? Would that possibly be when Shantae or Bandana Dee could be revealed? (Both seem like perfect picks for a general direct)
Imagine a Direct where Matt Bozon makes an appearance and announces Shantae: The Collection for the Switch, a physical version with all 4 games in one cartridge, and at the end he says "before i go, i've got one more announcement" then the screen fades into black, after that Shantae gets revealed for Smash.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Imagine a Direct where Matt Bozon makes an appearance and announces Shantae: The Collection for the Switch, a physical version with all 4 games in one cartridge, and at the end he says "before i go, i've got one more announcement" then the screen fades into black, after that Shantae gets revealed for Smash.
It could happen. I still think that the "one more thing" during the Nindies Direct was referencing Smash. They knew what they were doing with that.

Last edited:

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
As another example, one could easily shuffle Sonic to the left and make room for Shadow.

Having the two racing against one another would be a pretty accurate depiction of their rivalry!

But yeah, Daisy could easily be hip-checking with Shantae once enough space is made.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So we already talked about how it seems Daisy is bouncing her hip against someone else, and that very well could be shantae.

But who else looks like they could be interacting with others? We know not all of them have to be. Like Dark Samus and K Rool don't seem like they are. But we know new fighters could though, as with Chrome and Robin and possibly Ridley and Toon Link.

So I looked and found a few other possible characters that could be interacting with other new comers.

Villager here looks like it is by himself just trying to catch a butterfly, but I could easily see someone else her could be chasing, or cheering him on. Isabelle comes to mind here.

I mentioned Toon Link with Ridley, but on the non wrap around picture thise wouldn'y work. So its possible he is aiming at someone else

Right now it looks like Mewtwo is fighting Lucas, but he is not looking towards Mewtwo at all. I feel like this will get moved later for each of them to be fighting someone different.

He's commanding his Pikman(carrying Mr Saturn for some reason...), but it feels like something is missing here. Why is this the only Item here? That Mr Saturn is very odd and I think is either tied to someone like Ninten chaising it, or possibly a place hold for Carrying someone new.

Snake seems to be taking aim at someone, but I cannot find who it could be.

Last this is more something that proves we are getting more. Mii gunner is not with the other 2 Mii's, which seems very odd. They should be together.
The idea of Daisy and Shantae bumping hips makes me giggle far more than it should. And the Miis got split up with the characters were rearranged to accomodate Simon. And in a panoramic shot, Toon Link looks more like he's taking aim at the Duck.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Thinking about it I can see Shantae and Daisy interacting in that official artwork. Hope that comes true.

zferolie

Smash Hero
As another example, one could easily shuffle Sonic to the left and make room for Shadow.

Having the two racing against one another would be a pretty accurate depiction of their rivalry!

But yeah, Daisy could easily be hip-checking with Shantae once enough space is made.
Yeah that is a good point. I can easily see shadow there

The idea of Daisy and Shantae bumping hips makes me giggle far more than it should. And the Miis got split up with the characters were rearranged to accomodate Simon. And in a panoramic shot, Toon Link looks more like he's taking aim at the Duck.
Yeah i knew the miis were together before, which makes me sure they will be together by the end. So untill they are together again we will get more characters. And i suppose yoon can be shhoting at duck hunt. Good catch.

Thinking about it I can see Shantae and Daisy interacting in that official artwork. Hope that comes true.
Have we gotten offical artwork yet for the new comers? I think i only saw the inklings, but nother for Ridley, the belmonts, or K Rool

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice

Possible, but note that none of the characters are anywhere near their echoes right now. In fact most of them are very far apart from each other. Of course this is me figuring Shadow would be Sonic's echo fighter and that this trend continues.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Shantae and Daisy should totally get a lot of shared fanart; if she makes it in. It's somthing that works oddly well.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Daisy really does stand out when you look at other characters in this artwork. While most are common action poses, others interact with something or someone. But not Daisy, she seems to be looking at someone specific and it's not really an action-like pose.
With a stretch I could see a few other characters in the same situation, but not to Daisy's extent. If it weren't for the sway in her dress that she's actually bumping her butt I might have said she's leaning over to look at the others doing their thing (which is also kind of un-Daisy-like by itself).
Very curious indeed.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
"89 pages"

Sheesh guys... I remember this being at like 20-30 not too long ago.
To be fair, there is a lot more speculation and circumstantial evidence surrounding Shantae so it's a bit more interesting to discuss rather than the same chairs we've talked about for weeks or a missing AT for Skull Kid.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Shantae and Daisy are so much like each other. Energetic tomboys.

Anything new yet?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When the Mario Bros. sleep over at Shantae's, Luigi's unique sleep wavelength leads the both of them on a subconcious journey.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I feel like when it comes to that mural, Bayo or Mewtwo are gonna end up moving because right now Bayo's gun is stuck directly into Mewtwo's back.

Also I think if Daisy is bumpin' butts with someone, Shantae makes the most sense to me. Or maybe Dixie somehow? It doesn't feel like any of the other largely speculated characters fit. Who knows tho, maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something completely random or someone who comes out of left field.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Anyone want to check if there is a Daisy/Shantae art of them doing what we think is going to happen?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Oh, I'm fairly certain that if Shantae gets in she'll be shipped with just about every character in Smash.

I'm also certain that if she is not in the base roster, or deconfirmed as an assist trophy, then she'll be a DLC character. Shantae is the perfect choice for DLC.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So in Jammies mode, I'm sure some people remember this peculiar game-clear image:

Jammies Mode 94.png

I remember people once discussing how the number "94" doesn't seem to have any relevance with Shantae or WF.

However, put on your handy-dandy tinfoil hat and bear with me for just a moment.

Would it not be funny if we were to get a surprise announcement of a Nintendo Direct for Tuesday (either tomorrow or Monday)? Can anyone understand why, when cross-examined with this image, a Tuesday (September 4th) direct would be potentially "funny"?

Tuesday, September 4th is exactly 94 days until Smash Ultimate's release.

Obviously, if it doesn't happen, we just continue forward like business as usual. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So in Jammies mode, I'm sure some people remember this peculiar game-clear image:

View attachment 161169

I remember people once discussing how the number "94" doesn't seem to have any relevance with Shantae or WF.

However, put on your handy-dandy tinfoil hat and bear with me for just a moment.

Would it not be funny if we were to get a surprise announcement of a Nintendo Direct for Tuesday (either tomorrow or Monday)? Can anyone understand why, when cross-examined with this image, a Tuesday (September 4th) direct would be potentially "funny"?

Obviously, if it doesn't happen, we just continue forward like business as usual. Nothing gained, nothing lost.
Also, September is the 9th month and a Direct on the 4th day isn't out of the question. It does make you wonder why she's wearing that random number on her shirt there.

It's probably nothing, but it's fun to speculate.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 161169

I highly doubt it. I think that's say too specific for anyone to come up with.

Honestly, if she's in, she'll just be revelaed in whatever direct Sakurai finds it necessary.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 161169

Eh. I don't think Wayforward would be privy to reveal dates, tbh. just my 2 cents.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Found this on the Wiki: "In 1994, as Matt Bozon was still engaged with his future wife Erin, she got a flash of inspiration while coming back from her camp counselor days, and created the character of Shantae, named after one of the campers. Later on, Matt Bozon asked her what she would come up with if she was to create a video game character. She disappeared, and when going after her after some time, he found her working on sketches of a character, Shantae, in dancing poses.[3] Matt Bozon liked the idea and fleshed out the background and mythology surrounding the character."

http://shantae.wikia.com/wiki/Shantae

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Isn’t 1994 when Shantae was first conceptualised by Matt and Erin?
I couldn't find a specific date, but all I've read is that Erin came up with the character in the early 90s. It's possible that it was 94, but early 90s to me reads as earlier than that.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d. That explains the 94 then, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Found this on the Wiki: "In 1994, as Matt Bozon was still engaged with his future wife Erin, she got a flash of inspiration while coming back from her camp counselor days, and created the character of Shantae, named after one of the campers. Later on, Matt Bozon asked her what she would come up with if she was to create a video game character. She disappeared, and when going after her after some time, he found her working on sketches of a character, Shantae, in dancing poses.[3] Matt Bozon liked the idea and fleshed out the background and mythology surrounding the character."

http://shantae.wikia.com/wiki/Shantae
Good to know. I wasn't privvy to the date of the original story.

Top Bottom