• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
There's a disturbing lack of Shantae merchandise in general.
I hope that changes in the future, which I guess means I hope she gets into Smash, people who haven't seen her before like her, and she gets more popular.
I'd super want a Shantae Nendoroid, it'd be perfect!

Of course I'm hopeful for Shantae's chances, she's got a whole buncha stuff that could make for an interesting and unique character, and she's able to be pretty expressive as well.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok so people are talking about best buy, where did that info come from?

Also they did this demo back for smash 4, and i dont think no one stole and hacked that...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Stealing it would monumentally stupid given their are cameras in the store and all you have to do is ask all the employees that were scheduled to work that day during that time.

also last time this stuff was done everything was handlded by Nintendo employees.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly would rather a character stick to being unique in their own game as opposed to getting shoved in as an assist trophy. Just look at Knuckles for example: He hardly does anything from actual sonic games, and I would love to know when the heck Knuckles used homing spin attacks in a Sonic game. He doesn’t even do the glide, which is pretty much his trademark thing, groundpound, or regular punches. All we know is that his assist trophy does homing attacks and uses straight up dig from pokemon. Assist trophies are terrible images of what characters can do, and don’t even get me started on the poke balls.
Knuckles does a three punch combo as an assist trophy, and he used homing attacks in Sonic Heroes. Sorry that Pokemon game's animations leave a lot to the imagination.

I take umbrage to the "I want perfect representation or none at all!" mentality. Makes me think of those dumb Mewtwo fans who wanted him cut just because he was bad in Melee. Unchecked arrogance.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
So Best Buy is having some Smash Ultimate demo events starting soon. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea since some unscrupulous Best Buy employee is likely to get their hands on the demo and then data mine it and reveal everything Sakurai has planned for the game?
I know that it'd be bad for everyone at HAL and Nintendo, and it'd be a huge drop in speculation and hype buttttt.....

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I hate to be that guy, but I don’t think that she’s gonna make it in. During the Smash Direct, Sakurai showed off the song select screen, which is sorted by series, so it’s unlikely that there are gonna be any new franchises.

In addition, I feel that there are going to be only 3 more non-echoes, with one for October, November and December each. Coincidentally, 3 newcomers were leaked by Vergeben and Loz18 (I don’t believe leaks, but these 2 got almost everything right)
Gen 7 Pokemon, Square Enix Rep, and Skull Kid. If there’s any more (and the new franchise thing is wrong), I feel we’re gonnna get Isaac or Dante, since they’re highly rumored, but no more than 1 or 2 additional newcomers.

With all of the evidence we have, I have a bad feeling that the NDA is just for an Assist Trophy. Words cannot describe how wrong I want to be, though.

I take umbrage to the "I want perfect representation or none at all!" mentality.
I feel this is mentality is somewhat because of the competitive scene (regardless of toxicity), since they don’t play with ATs on. This means characters like Waluigi and Shovel Knight might as well not be in the game at all.
Also, from a casual standpoint, why have to rely on RNG to have your favorite character show up at all, when you can play as them?

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
I hate to be that guy, but I don’t think that she’s gonna make it in. During the Smash Direct, Sakurai showed off the song select screen, which is sorted by series, so it’s unlikely that there are gonna be any new franchises.
Just like the 103 stages thing, I don’t think the songs are set in stone. There can definitely be new additions to the list of series with the music. There is literally nothing preventing that from happening.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It still seems odd for WayForward to be so out of character for a mere assist trophy. I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but at the same time it's hard not to notice their strange behavior.

Just like the 103 stages thing, I don’t think the songs are set in stone. There can definitely be new additions to the list of series with the music. There is literally nothing preventing that from happening.
Agreed. There's nothing preventing them from adding new categories and stages. I don't think the numbers are set in stone.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

In addition, I feel that there are going to be only 3 more non-echoes, with one for October, November and December each. Coincidentally, 3 newcomers were leaked by Vergeben and Loz18 (I don’t believe leaks, but these 2 got almost everything right)
Gen 7 Pokemon, Square Enix Rep, and Skull Kid. If there’s any more (and the new franchise thing is wrong), I feel we’re gonnna get Isaac or Dante, since they’re highly rumored, but no more than 1 or 2 additional newcomers.

With all of the evidence we have, I have a bad feeling that the NDA is just for an Assist Trophy. Words cannot describe how wrong I want to be, though.

I feel this is mentality is somewhat because of the competitive scene (regardless of toxicity), since they don’t play with ATs on. This means characters like Waluigi and Shovel Knight might as well not be in the game at all.
Also, from a casual standpoint, why have to rely on RNG to have your favorite character show up at all, when you can play as them?
Um....so you think only three more newcomers? When we got 2 at once this past Direct? And I'm not spoilering this because the rumor is not only ridiculous but also debunked. DANTE WILL NOT BE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. EVER.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Um....so you think only three more newcomers? When we got 2 at once this past Direct? And I'm not spoilering this because the rumor is not only ridiculous but also debunked. DANTE WILL NOT BE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. EVER.
And I'm pretty sure that Capcom, or at least someone from Capcom, said that Dante isn't going to be in.

I personally think we're getting at least six more newcomers and that's not including echos or DLC.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Knuckles does a three punch combo as an assist trophy, and he used homing attacks in Sonic Heroes. Sorry that Pokemon game's animations leave a lot to the imagination.

I take umbrage to the "I want perfect representation or none at all!" mentality. Makes me think of those dumb Mewtwo fans who wanted him cut just because he was bad in Melee. Unchecked arrogance.
I actually loved Mewtwo in melee, he was a great example of a good newcomer, and utilized several different attacks from main-series pokemon, such as Shadow Ball, Cunfusion, and Disable. The point is that what Knuckles does is so lackluster compared to what he can do.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thanks. I guess the only close one is NYC... but I hate driving into the city... may skip this.

Well first off I doubt we are only getting 1 more per direct. We have gotten 2 new fighters last time, and I am sure if those 2 leakers were right they don't know everyone. Verg has never said shes not in either.

Plus Dante was confirmed not in from capcom itself. that's a fake leak. Plus no way Capcom is getting another rep thats not an echo.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice

They aren't going to have songs/stages in their demo versions that potentially leak unrevealed characters. During Smash 4, they didn't even update their site trademarks with Namco or MONOLITHSOFT until after Pac-man and Shulk were revealed. Also, those leakers get as many things wrong as right. Vergeben's SCVI "leak" turned out completely wrong after the roster was actually leaked earlier today.

zferolie

Smash Hero
They aren't going to have songs/stages in their demo versions that potentially leak unrevealed characters. During Smash 4, they didn't even update their site trademarks with Namco or MONOLITHSOFT until after Pac-man and Shulk were revealed. Also, those leakers get as many things wrong as right. Vergeben's SCVI "leak" turned out completely wrong after the roster was actually leaked earlier today.
From my guess either he has some sources that know some things, or he is just super lucky and should play the lotto. And I am sure no source of his knows all the info for this game. Plus I think he throws out some things just for hype.

Speaking of him, did he actually outright say Skullkid? I am still thinking Skullkid got promoted to Boss, not playable. Think About it, he could be a really cool boss, transforming players, summoning, calling down huge magic strikes, things like that. He sounds like a perfect boss character.

Also, has Verg ever said Shantae was a no go, or even mentioned her once?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Frankly, I think Verg is rather sketchy, especially with his Pokemon "leaks" and random text/image leaks are laughably fake.

The only people who I believe will know for sure about Shantae are Sakurai and WayForward themselves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At no point did we ever see proof that the song selection presented in the direct was the full 900, and chances are songs will still need to be unlocked via CDs. Now, the amount of stages we've seen is equal to the number presented (103)... however, there is also the possibility of Shantae being in, but not having a stage ready for base game. It's not unheard of for newcomers. Or Sakurai is lying.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
At no point did we ever see proof that the song selection presented in the direct was the full 900, and chances are songs will still need to be unlocked via CDs. Now, the amount of stages we've seen is equal to the number presented (103)... however, there is also the possibility of Shantae being in, but not having a stage ready for base game. It's not unheard of for newcomers. Or Sakurai is lying.
I somehow feel that we still don’t know every stage anyway. You’re absolutely right, not all franchises will be revealed in one direct, especially before a character from that franchise hasn’t been seen.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
And I'm pretty sure that Capcom, or at least someone from Capcom, said that Dante isn't going to be in.
I personally feel that they could be lying. While some may say that that would break an NDA, they aren’t confirming or teasing a potential inclusion. They could just be trying to make people look away from the leak.

I personally think we're getting at least six more newcomers and that's not including echos or DLC.
I think the way things are going to go is a Normal Direct and a Standalone trailer for September and October, with one newcomer each. I just can’t see them revealing two non-echoes in a Normal Direct, since they have other games. While it would make sense for a November Smash Direct to reveal two newcomers, I feel one of them (most likely the newcomer reveal at the beginning) is gonna be shafted in favor of a reveal for the green mode. I could be wrong about that part, but I think it can only go to 4, with the most likely fourth being Isaac.

I somehow feel that we still don’t know every stage anyway. You’re absolutely right, not all franchises will be revealed in one direct, especially before a character from that franchise hasn’t been seen.
My worry is that there are no more franchises to reveal, since there’s no evidence of Sakurai removing content from a non-demo beta version of the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I personally feel that they could be lying. While some may say that that would break an NDA, they aren’t confirming or teasing a potential inclusion. They could just be trying to make people look away from the leak.
I am pretty sure it would still break NDA. Disconfirm still has confirm in it after all. It's a confirmation of Dantae's lack of an appearance.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am 99% sure sakurai never said that was the final count. Plus there are 6 more spaces, and sakurai seems very ocd. Hes not going to just leave those spots empty. Dlc will be on its own tab like last game.

I think the way things are going to go is a Normal Direct and a Standalone trailer for September and October, with one newcomer each. I just can’t see them revealing two non-echoes in a Normal Direct, since they have other games. While it would make sense for a November Smash Direct to reveal two newcomers, I feel one of them (most likely the newcomer reveal at the beginning) is gonna be shafted in favor of a reveal for the green mode. I could be wrong about that part, but I think it can only go to 4, with the most likely fourth being Isaac.
I gave an example earlier, like i think last page, of how a normal fall direct could show off 2 newcomers and 2 echos without taking away from other games. Start the direct off with the shantae trailer. Then take a few minutes explaining how they are proud to have their first indie, go over shantae slightly and her stage and risky boss and/or rottytops at. Then go right i to other games, maybe 5 or 7. Then thats the halfway point and have an echo fighter announcement for dixie and isabelle. Then Do more games including pokemon lets go. Last have a trailer showing either the new pokemon or elma and then add all 4 characters to the art. Boom, you have smash info and still show 20 minutes of other game stuff as well.

Also, i think we would get 2 more smash focused directs one in October focus on story and other modes, one a week before lainch talking online, last characters and future support plans like dlc. Both of those directs could have 2 newcomers and 2 to 3 echos.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
There's no way there aren't any more franchises to reveal in the remaining newcomers. Just no way. They need something huge to match the Simon/Richter reveal from last Direct, and I doubt they'll be able to do that with any 1st Party character from an existing franchise.

I stand by my prediction there's five remaining non-echo newcomers. It will bring the final character count to #72 which is a nice, round number to end the base game roster.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am 99% sure sakurai never said that was the final count. Plus there are 6 more spaces, and sakurai seems very ocd. Hes not going to just leave those spots empty. Dlc will be on its own tab like last game.
Especially since with 103 stages(Plus random) you could have easily made a rectangle and not leave any space open.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
No. What, is my accidental misspell somehow humerus? Because I know little about Devil May Cry.
No. I just figured it was a pun because you spelled Dante like Shantae on her thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Especially since with 103 stages(Plus random) you could have easily made a rectangle and not leave any space open.
True, but I looked into it and how it would work if you added a DLC Button and a Custom Stage Button, but you can’t really make a perfect rectangle with it, so they could have figured it would have been best to keep a 10x11 grid of stages.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's no way there aren't any more franchises to reveal in the remaining newcomers. Just no way. They need something huge to match the Simon/Richter reveal from last Direct, and I doubt they'll be able to do that with any 1st Party character from an existing franchise.

I stand by my prediction there's five remaining non-echo newcomers. It will bring the final character count to #72 which is a nice, round number to end the base game roster.
Yeah. No way they would blow their last new franchise this early.

I myself think 5 or 6 more newcomers, with 7 or 8 more echos. I think we will have 84 for the final total, as it fits perfectly with that smash down mode as 84 is perfectly divisible by 2, 3, and 4.

That too is an excellent point

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, and I might have said this before on this thread, but the main reason I believe there is more stages is because saying "Sakurai is completely fine adding only 4 new stages to the game" feels so unbelievably wrong. And I know he has brought us more stages to this game than any other, but that sentence still bugs me way to much, and I am sure it would do the same to Sakurai. Also the idea of knowing every stage by the half way point of the speculation period feels out of character for Sakurai. He loves surprises, why kill stage hype?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
You know, and I might have said this before on this thread, but the main reason I believe there is more stages is because saying "Sakurai is completely fine adding only 4 new stages to the game" feels so unbelievably wrong. And I know he has brought us more stages to this game than any other, but that sentence still bugs me way to much, and I am sure it would do the same to Sakurai. Also the idea of knowing every stage by the half way point of the speculation period feels out of character for Sakurai. He loves surprises, why kill stage hype?
True, but keep in mind that Sakurai also revamped almost every stage from previous games, stating that some took more than a year to complete, so I could see Sakurai adding only 4 more new stages. As for the killing stage hype part, I do think that there is a possibility that there are only gonna be newcomers from existing franchises.

I feel that logic doesn’t work, since during Smash 4, people were expecting something to top Cloud, but ended up with Corrin and Bayo.

Shadowknight1

True, but keep in mind that Sakurai also revamped almost every stage from previous games, stating that some took more than a year to complete, so I could see Sakurai adding only 4 more new stages. As for the killing stage hype part, I do think that there is a possibility that there are only gonna be newcomers from existing franchises.

I feel that logic doesn’t work, since during Smash 4, people were expecting something to top Cloud, but ended up with Corrin and Bayo.
Sorry, but THAT logic doesn't work. For me, Bayo was just as shocking as Cloud. Those are two characters I never expected to be in Smash Bros., Cloud cause of Square Enix/no FF7 on Nintendo, and Bayo because she's very risque.

And saying it again, Dante isn't going to be in Smash Bros. Ever.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't explain the massive gap at the bottom of the stage select screen, though. None of the other games did this and it seems tacky. If we were to believe that all the gaps are filled, it would mean we have 6 more stages.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
And if you're basing your character predictions on leakers, I should point out the following:

1) The leakers are likely being fed false information to weed them out.
2) Even if they are right about their info, they may not know everything. WF's NDA could apparently be very effective. This is likely why Shantae isn't on as many fake leaks as characters like Geno and Skull Kid.
3) If Shantae is in the base roster, the work on her might not be 100% done yet and they're saving her for the final reveal. So again they might not know the characters until the final build is shown or datamined.

The only person I trust to give out truthful character info is Sakurai and the companies involved with the characters.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Also some leaks seem to take really popular picks and just use them, plus one or two kind of "out there" picks. But yeah, I think it's best just to trust Sakurai and co.

Leaks are still kinda interesting tho, but I wouldn't take any as 100% truth.

Also, I hope that there's a direct this month. I guess because I'm waiting for more information to bridge the time gap until TGS later this month. Maybe there'll be a Smash trailer around then, who knows.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I will say...just saw another fake leak that had Shantae...but as an Assist Trophy. Pretty sure it's fake cause anyone who claims to have datamined the game but only lists "Pokemon from Sun & Moon" and not which Pokemon that is is a filthy liar. Still...hate the idea of such a potentially creative character being reduced to just hair whipping as an AT.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The leakers all seem to be following a bandwagon effect for certain characters as well, especially ones that we haven't seen assist trophies of. Frankly, I don't trust any of these leakers. The only ones I trust are Sakurai and the other developers.

And for all we know these "leakers" could simply be trolling us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom