• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Quiet enough to assume they're under an NDA, or quiet enough that if Shantae doesn't get into the game in any capacity they're going to have a lot of confused and crushed fans wondering why they never said a peep.
If you say so.

I think I know what it means outside of abbreviation, but to make sure, what does NDA stand for?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Non-Disclosure Agreement. It means you can't say **** or else you get royally ****ed.
Okay, gotcha. If they don't reveal Shantae for Smash, whether character or assist, I will wonder why they were so quiet for all this time myself.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It is odd that they're being silent this time when they were so vocal for Smash 4. It would make sense if they were under an NDA.

Sakurai is at least thinking about indie characters this time around, given Shovel Knight is an assist trophy, and Shantae is the indie character with more Nintendo history. Do we have any idea how well she did on the ballot?

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Put me down as a supporter, I may not be the most vocal supporter, but i've wanted Shantae in Smash bros. since the smash 4 ballot. and if i recall correctly, i did put in a vote for her while it was going on.

I've been out of the loop for speculation, Wayforward's been quiet about Shantae and Smash Bros? are we talking in terms of people inquiring about it? or just in general?

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I originally voted for not at all on that poll up there as I did want her i just didn't think it would ever happen, but as of recent developments my opinion has changed, can i be added to the support list?

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
It is odd that they're being silent this time when they were so vocal for Smash 4. It would make sense if they were under an NDA.

Sakurai is at least thinking about indie characters this time around, given Shovel Knight is an assist trophy, and Shantae is the indie character with more Nintendo history. Do we have any idea how well she did on the ballot?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=1483868529
Going by this which is a data collected from a compilation of polls, very good.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Put me down as a supporter, I may not be the most vocal supporter, but i've wanted Shantae in Smash bros. since the smash 4 ballot. and if i recall correctly, i did put in a vote for her while it was going on.

I've been out of the loop for speculation, Wayforward's been quiet about Shantae and Smash Bros? are we talking in terms of people inquiring about it? or just in general?
There are only a handful of polls ive seen that dont have her somewhere in the top 10. and thats the general polls

If you are looking at 3rd parties exclusively, She is doing Very well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There are only a handful of polls ive seen that dont have her somewhere in the top 10. and thats the general polls

If you are looking at 3rd parties exclusively, She is doing Very well.
Yeah, in the consolidation she is secound when it comes to viable third parties(SK has been disconfirmed and Snake has come back), only behind B&K.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Lol even after making my full moveset before I never said put me as a supporter lol. So put me as a supporter.

Honestly I am most excited, if she gets in, to see an offical 3d model for her. We never had one for her, so it would be cool... unless they keep her as a 2d sprite... would that be wierd?

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Here's a fun question. If Shantae could have one alternate costume, what would you want it to be?
Now when you say one alternate costume, do you specifically mean one and only one? If so, I'd have a painful time trying to choose which one I want more. I'm loving all the suggestions I'm seeing; be they from WF themselves, or from this thread.

If I could pick any... well... All of them. :p Be it an outfit based on Shantae's classic GBC design, her Risky's Revenge design, her Pirate's Curse design, or her HGH design. Then there's the blue variant of her usual outfit, as well as the Risky and Rotty colors (I wouldn't mind some based on Sky and Bolo too,) an alternate costume that makes her look like Nega-Shantae (hopefully it can alter her voice and dialogue to suit Nega-Shantae's cruel and evil persona?) and of course, there's the ninja outfit, Patricia Wagon outfit, the jammies outfit... I could go on, though I hope I didn't leave anything out either. Point being, I'm not too picky, so long as the choices are awesome and well thought out. :)

Also, I'm not sure how well I'm remembering this, but I think I once saw someone suggest an alternate outfit that makes Shantae look like one of the imprisoned genies you have to save in the original Shantae game. For clarity, they had brown skin and darker brown hair. Whether that was a genuine suggestion someone made or not, I still think it's an interesting concept to consider. Something to add just for the fun of it, ya know?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lol even after making my full moveset before I never said put me as a supporter lol. So put me as a supporter.

Honestly I am most excited, if she gets in, to see an offical 3d model for her. We never had one for her, so it would be cool... unless they keep her as a 2d sprite... would that be wierd?
I seriously doubt they'd keep her in 2D, when they went to the trouble of giving Shovel Knight a brand-spanking exclusive 3D model.

Granted, SK showed up in Yooka-Laylee before that, but still.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

Technically, the HGH sprite is a 3d model. But that was designed to look 2d, but i get what you mean. A Proper 3d model would be AMAZING

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
If Shantae does make it in, do you think they'll pull more from Half-Genie Hero, or get inspiration for each of the games? HGH seems like the most popular and well known game in her franchise.

I just finished HGH and am playing through Jammies mode at the moment. There's loads of good music and stage potential they can pull from that game alone.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Shantae does make it in, do you think they'll pull more from Half-Genie Hero, or get inspiration for each of the games? HGH seems like the most popular and well known game in her franchise.
If I recall, a post from earlier said that Matt commented on how Shantae would look if she was in Smash and compared it to a mix of two characters. I can't recall which they were, but I don't think it would match the HGH design. I think when it comes to the design, Sakurai would opt with a fusion of all of her design, taking bit's and pieces like he did with K.Rool. As for the moveset, I think a lot of us believe she will have a mix of Transformations and the Pirates Gear from Pirate's Curse.

Indie DevoTee

Smash Rookie
I'm just patiently waiting the reveals out until Shantae (hopefully) arises on the scene. I keep thinking it's possible more and more each day. I just feel like, with how vocal fans have been for Shantae, WayForward would have said something if there was nothing to be hype about. They know they'll have quite a few disappointed fans if they don't come forward and say something, right? Plus, I don't think Daddy Sakurai will forsake us in such a way.

Shovel Knight was the sign that indies can be in Smash. So, maybe, just maybe, Shantae is taking the helm as playable Indie Rep. I am just going to cross my fingers and pray to God it's true.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a though, how would being in Smash change how people perceive Shantae. I mean, she is pretty much miss Indie, but she has always been 2nd to Shovel Knight when it came to the recognizable Indie icon. If she got in as a fighter while SK was an assist, that would cause a shift in perception.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
WayForward is being too damn quiet. Eveyone wants her in and they're pretending like Smash Bros doesn't even exist.

I'm very... idk. Curious. I just want the wait to be over. If she's not in or an assist trophy/trophy, I just want to rip the bandaid off quick.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
WayForward is being too damn quiet. Eveyone wants her in and they're pretending like Smash Bros doesn't even exist.
Logic dictates that if we keep asking, someone will eventually slip up.

"Guys, stop asking about Shantae in Smash! You'll have to wait like everyone else to see her reveal trailer in the next Nintendo Dire- Damn!"

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So the Radio silence has been bugging me, so I decided to see just how far back this radio silence has been going on,
On Twitter (assuming nothing was deleted), The last time Matt's Twitter even used the word Smash was December 15, 2015
https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/676896936956440576

The Last time the official WayForward Twitter account used the word Smash was September 28. 2015
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/648631485453369345

Now the last interview I could find from Matt involving Smash, is an interview from March 2, 2016 with PureNintendo, and this seems to be the last record of Matt answering questions about Shantae for Smash i could find. (spent 2 hours on google)
https://purenintendo.com/interview-what-could-have-been-wayforwards-shantae-for-smash-campaign/

The Interview was posted online Mar 2, but the Issue of the Magazine was published a few days earlier on 2/26/16. So the Interview would of took place, some time before the 2/26 date.

Now I also looked in to another WF employee, James.
He has tweeted about Smash loads of times, But never the only time he has ever used the words "Shantae" and "Smash" in the same tweet was April 1, 2015
https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/583453546332336128

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So the Radio silence has been bugging me, so I decided to see just how far back this radio silence has been going on,
On Twitter (assuming nothing was deleted), The last time Matt's Twitter even used the word Smash was December 15, 2015
https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/676896936956440576

The Last time the official WayForward Twitter account used the word Smash was September 28. 2015
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/648631485453369345

Now the last interview I could find from Matt involving Smash, is an interview from March 2, 2016 with PureNintendo, and this seems to be the last record of Matt answering questions about Shantae for Smash i could find. (spent 2 hours on google)
https://purenintendo.com/interview-what-could-have-been-wayforwards-shantae-for-smash-campaign/

Now I also looked in to another WF employee, James.
He has tweeted about Smash loads of times, But never the only time he has ever used the words "Shantae" and "Smash" in the same tweet was April 1, 2015
https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/583453546332336128
So pretty much, no noise since early 2016. That is so insanely suspicious. It does not help that we know the roster was finalized late 2015 to early 2016. Actually, that does help, because it makes Shantae in Smash all the more plausible!

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So pretty much, no noise since early 2016. That is so insanely suspicious. It does not help that we know the roster was finalized late 2015 to early 2016. Actually, that does help, because it makes Shantae in Smash all the more plausible!
Do we know for a fact, or are we making an educated guess?

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Mm... I do have to wonder how soon do developers get contacted after the roster is finalized. Or do they possibly get contacted beforehand? If, in Matt Bozon's interview, he should have already been contacted, then I think that's a pretty bad strike against her. On the other hand, I could see the contact for an AT being issued later down the line. Following that logic, it could be reasonable to assume that Wayforward has been quiet because they know Shantae is already deconfirmed as an AT and it would be pointless to campaign for her.

On the flip, even getting in as an AT would be wonderful (for me at least). Though obviously I would much prefer she be playable. >_>

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/
"The first proposal was completed in December 2015, back while we were still working on DLC for the previous title. It wasn’t until later that I assembled a team and began development on this new title in earnest."
Now, I don't think this is a knock against Shantae. In fact, this still helps. There first priority was to have everyone return, and that likely took awhile and much legal discussion with Sega, Konami, Capcom, Namco(Less so, since they are still helping), and Square. It would make sense if it took a couple months at least to get to WF for the possibility of Shantae.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Project plan's aren't set in stone, things can theoretically be removed and added as development progresses?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Project plan's aren't set in stone, things can theoretically be removed and added as development progresses?
That's what I would think. It is called the first project plan. So I don't think Shantae has any worries when it comes to that, unless I am missing something.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
My suggestion was more so simply if the project plan is finalized, I would think they would want to contact all companies in question before wasting their time committing to a character. Especially in the case of a 3rd party.

3 months is a long time for a project plan to be undergoing revisions. Especially with a tighter development cycle. Not that it couldn't be, it's not like I actually know. It just seems like it's cutting it pretty close is all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My suggestion was more so simply if the project plan is finalized, I would think they would want to contact all companies in question before wasting their time committing to a character. Especially in the case of a 3rd party.

3 months is a long time for a project plan to be undergoing revisions. Especially with a tighter development cycle. Not that it couldn't be, it's not like I actually know. It just seems like it's cutting it pretty close is all.
I guess, but we do know that getting everyone back was a priority that took a lot of time and effort. And heck, Sakurai was likely not sure how much time it would take, and if it took too long the newcomer work load might need to be lightened in order to reach certain quotas. Why contact WF if there is a possibility the plan might change? And if they were to say no(And let's be real, both us and Sakurai know that there is no way they would say no), Sakurai does seem like the type of person to have back up plans. I am not that worried.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I guess, but we do know that getting everyone back was a priority that took a lot of time and effort. And heck, Sakurai was likely not sure how much time it would take, and if it took too long the newcomer work load might need to be lightened in order to reach certain quotas. Why contact WF if there is a possibility the plan might change? And if they were to say no(And let's be real, both us and Sakurai know that there is no way they would say no), Sakurai does seem like the type of person to have back up plans. I am not that worried.
I suppose.

I just feel a little disheartened after reading that Bozon interview since he mentioned they wanted to get a Shantae skin in Super Mario Maker (and that obviously didn't happen). It seemed as though he was eager to get Shantae representation in a 1st party Nintendo game period. Given that, I could see them dropping hints with the Jammies mode because they would be so proud of the fact that they got an AT (I'm assuming). And it would make sense that they wouldn't campaign for the character because, as I said, it would be pointless to. Plus... I suppose ATs require NDAs as well since it is still yet to be revealed content for the game.

Going from not even being able to get a skin in Super Mario Maker to playable status in one of the largest Nintendo franchises of all time is a pretty huge leap. The only silver lining (which could also, ironically, be a curse) being that Bozon also expressed interest in getting a Shantae amiibo. If she's playable in Smash, obviously she would get one so that could explain why one hasn't shown up yet. But if she isn't playable then that just means WF is struggling extra hard to break through barriers Shovel Knight himself has already passed. (Even if the SK amiibo was self-funded, I find it pretty disheartening if WF wasn't able to self-fund their own.)

An AT would still be great for the series and for exposure. It just seems to me like, if I'm being objective, Shantae has some pretty significant hurdles in her way in terms of playable status.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Trust.
We don't know the entire process, and the timing does matter, but I don't think it's much of something to focus on.

I noticed that a lot of people have trouble putting their hopes in characters, apparently because they don't want to be let down. I think that there could be something to help people invest their hopes in better ways. Because face it there's always disappointments in life when you expect one thing and don't get it. You can hope for a character without expecting it and feeling in a way that you need it to happen. Anything can happen, and even if things don't go your way, you can still learn to have a positive outlook without that, even if there might be hurt from the past expectations, you can still enjoy what there is and hope for and contribute to great stuff that you like. If you put all your hopes in one thing, you're setting yourself up to get stuck in the disappointment because you're not looking to enjoy everything else, including other things that are possible. It's ok. You can hope, and you can heal, and there's more to look forward to, all kinds of things, as well as in general. It's great when things go our way, and they can, but sometimes the way it goes is great in itself too if you can see it.

I just felt like I had to get that out there. It's been on my mind for a while, blooming.
cheers <3

Top Bottom