• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Wait guys, I messed up a bit, The Interview was posted online Mar 2, but the Issue of the Magazine was published a few days earlier on 2/26/16. So the Interview would of took place, some time before the 2/26 date.

I reached out the the editor of the magazine to see if he could give a more concrete date on when the interview happened. I'm not expecting him to give me anything tho.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I suppose.

I just feel a little disheartened after reading that Bozon interview since he mentioned they wanted to get a Shantae skin in Super Mario Maker (and that obviously didn't happen). It seemed as though he was eager to get Shantae representation in a 1st party Nintendo game period. Given that, I could see them dropping hints with the Jammies mode because they would be so proud of the fact that they got an AT (I'm assuming). And it would make sense that they wouldn't campaign for the character because, as I said, it would be pointless to. Plus... I suppose ATs require NDAs as well since it is still yet to be revealed content for the game.

Going from not even being able to get a skin in Super Mario Maker to playable status in one of the largest Nintendo franchises of all time is a pretty huge leap. The only silver lining (which could also, ironically, be a curse) being that Bozon also expressed interest in getting a Shantae amiibo. If she's playable in Smash, obviously she would get one so that could explain why one hasn't shown up yet. But if she isn't playable then that just means WF is struggling extra hard to break through barriers Shovel Knight himself has already passed. (Even if the SK amiibo was self-funded, I find it pretty disheartening if WF wasn't able to self-fund their own.)

An AT would still be great for the series and for exposure. It just seems to me like, if I'm being objective, Shantae has some pretty significant hurdles in her way in terms of playable status.
Two things. One, Mario Maker is a bit diffrent from Super Smash Bros. It's still a Mario game after all, so there is still some protectiveness. Heck, Pokemon don't even make unique sounds in that game if I recall, so I think maybe it ain't the best game to judge. Sakurai is a very different developer after all. And secound, if Shantae was an assist, why did they not show her off alongside SK? That would have been to perfect, get the two icons of indie appearing side by side. Heck, many people were shocked when Shantae did not appear at all after seeing SK. That's mt two cents.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Two things. One, Mario Maker is a bit diffrent from Super Smash Bros. It's still a Mario game after all, so there is still some protectiveness. Heck, Pokemon don't even make unique sounds in that game if I recall, so I think maybe it ain't the best game to judge. Sakurai is a very different developer after all. And secound, if Shantae was an assist, why did they not show her off alongside SK? That would have been to perfect, get the two icons of indie appearing side by side. Heck, many people were shocked when Shantae did not appear at all after seeing SK. That's mt two cents.
1. Literal anime characters appeared in Super Mario Maker. I don't think it was that protected. >_>

2. Because only fans care about the indie side-by-side. It could be as simple as Sakurai thinking the character (along with Shovel Knight) is so obscure that showing them off side-by-side would generate too much "Literally who?" and de-hype the section. =P

---

Keep in mind, I don't intend to be a killjoy. Shantae is my most wanted character. If I were to put things into perspective for how much I want her, Geno is a character I've been supporting for over 12 years now; if Geno were to get into the game, I would still want Shantae. But if Shantae were to get into the game (as playable) I wouldn't care about Geno anymore. Or any character anymore. I'm that much of a stan of hers. >_>

This is something I would be more than happy to be wrong about.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
1. Literal anime characters appeared in Super Mario Maker. I don't think it was that protected. >_>

2. Because only fans care about the indie side-by-side. It could be as simple as Sakurai thinking the character (along with Shovel Knight) is so obscure that showing them off side-by-side would generate too much "Literally who?" and de-hype the section. =P

---

Keep in mind, I don't intend to be a killjoy. Shantae is my most wanted character. If I were to put things into perspective for how much I want her, Geno is a character I've been supporting for over 12 years now; if Geno were to get into the game, I would still want Shantae. But if Shantae were to get into the game (as playable) I wouldn't care about Geno anymore. Or any character anymore. I'm that much of a stan of hers. >_>

This is something I would be more than happy to be wrong about.
Fair enough for one, but I still don't think we should compare it that much. Again, Sakurai is a very different kind of developer, with considerable power in Nintendo. He can make whatever decision he wants. When it comes to 2, Shantae still did pretty well in many polls, and the Consolidation list has her not that far behind SK. Heck, she is now secound when it comes to viable third parties on that list. I don't think we would run into a literal who situation. Plus, in Japan Shantae holds much more sway. To Sakurai, by now he might see SK as the more literal who character, at least from his local perspective. And this is all under the assumption that she is an assist trophy.

Staarih

Smash Master
I suppose.

I just feel a little disheartened after reading that Bozon interview since he mentioned they wanted to get a Shantae skin in Super Mario Maker (and that obviously didn't happen). It seemed as though he was eager to get Shantae representation in a 1st party Nintendo game period. Given that, I could see them dropping hints with the Jammies mode because they would be so proud of the fact that they got an AT (I'm assuming). And it would make sense that they wouldn't campaign for the character because, as I said, it would be pointless to. Plus... I suppose ATs require NDAs as well since it is still yet to be revealed content for the game.

Going from not even being able to get a skin in Super Mario Maker to playable status in one of the largest Nintendo franchises of all time is a pretty huge leap. The only silver lining (which could also, ironically, be a curse) being that Bozon also expressed interest in getting a Shantae amiibo. If she's playable in Smash, obviously she would get one so that could explain why one hasn't shown up yet. But if she isn't playable then that just means WF is struggling extra hard to break through barriers Shovel Knight himself has already passed. (Even if the SK amiibo was self-funded, I find it pretty disheartening if WF wasn't able to self-fund their own.)

An AT would still be great for the series and for exposure. It just seems to me like, if I'm being objective, Shantae has some pretty significant hurdles in her way in terms of playable status.
What I took from the interview is that Smash hadn’t come up in WF’s and Nintendo’s messaging during the ballot (even though WF was campaigning for it) - who knows if they were in talks about it after. It’s good for him to say they actively talk with Nintendo in the first place though, so contacting shouldn’t be an issue. I have no idea when Sakurai would have needed to contact WF about wanting Shantae in, but if the project plan was completed in 2015, contacting developers in the first part/months of 2016 isn’t too far out. But who knows, not me at least - if only Yacht Club Games could tell us how things went down with Shovel Knight haha!

As for Mario Maker, even Shovel Knight didn’t make it in that, and he had an amiibo ready (most, if not all, other characters with amiibo are in it). Must have been bigger hurdles to overcome than we think.

Anyway, that interview was super interesting. I remembered him wanting Shantae to be between Mega Man and Peach from another inteview, and here he says between Mega Man and Pit (essentially the same height really haha!). May give us a clue how Shantae could end up looking. It’s also kinda reassuring for him to say that they’ve mentioned to Nintendo of wanting Shantae in Smash even as a trophy before - so, even before Smash 4? If so, her name might have been circulating longer than we think. And I mean, Bozon wanting her in pretty much any capacity in a first party game wouldn’t worry me, aren’t we all in the same boat haha? Playable status would be godsend, but AT would be cool as well, our fave genie needs all the visibility she can get.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I have the deep belief that something is going on. WayForward has shown visible signs of excitment regarding Shantae in Smash.
I don't know, I just don't think any of these Jammies mode + trailer hints were fortuitous.
The waiting process is going to be long, but the disappointment we'd feel if she is not in the game is not nearly as big as our joy if she is in ( given the odds). Which means we have more to gain than to lose here. Let's keep the hope up people :D

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's apparently a Nintendo Indies Direct on in an hour and a half. Maybe there's be something there.

Unlikely given that 0.5 Genie Hero has more or less finished development but we'll see.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There's apparently a Nintendo Indies Direct on in an hour and a half. Maybe there's be something there.

Unlikely given that 0.5 Genie Hero has more or less finished development but we'll see.
uhh no, this is just a mini direct basically unannounced, Its not gonna have some last minute Smash reveal. Wait till at least a direct in possibly Spetember to show her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
uhh no, this is just a mini direct basically unannounced, Its not gonna have some last minute Smash reveal. Wait till at least a direct in possibly Spetember to show her.
I didn't said anything Smash did I?

If anything Smash is talked about, chances are it'll be a shoutout to Shovel Knight getting in as an Assist

Indie DevoTee

Smash Rookie
I understand that no one wants to get their hopes up. However, I think some people are looking some signs and beginning to doubt. Let's think over a few facts here:

In terms of Matt Bozon and the Super Mario Maker costume:

Let's remember that, despite the overhaul of fame he received, Shovel Knight did not receive a costume in Mario Maker, either. So, just because Shantae did not get one? Does not mean Nintendo is outright ignoring Matt Bozon, or WayForward's wishes on that front. Heck, the only inclusions that weren't Smash characters that stuck out most? Was Hello Kitty, and Hello Kitty is HUGE in Japan.

Keep in mind, not every Smash character got in there, either. Fire Emblem characters were never added, for example. They likely stopped caring so much about additional content for Mario Maker, too, because they were transitioning to the Nintendo Switch thanks to the Wii U's under performing sales.

Matt's talk about Smash Bros.:

Yeah, Matt TALKED about Shantae being in Smash and how excited he would be. So, why does that immediately debunk her character?

Let's look at Yacht Club Games very own Sean Velasco who spoke with GameRant about Shovel Knight's possible inclusion of Shovel Knight in Smash Bros. back in 2017, shall we~?

Source: https://gamerant.com/shovel-knight-super-smash-bros/

Sean Velasco: “I think there is a .01% chance that Shovel Knight will appear in a Smash Bros. game,” Velasco told Game Rant in an interview earlier this week. “If he were in it, of course, he would be the best character, well, aside from Mega Man. No one beats the Blue Bomber, not even the Blue Burrower!”

So, we have well into a year gap between Matt Bozon's interview and Sean Velasco's interview, yes? Now, naturally, Assist Trophies do not take too long to make given they only have a certain number of animations and moves. So, likely by this point, there was no NDA and Sean could freely speak on his inclusion of Shovel Knight's AT status. Likely, because by the time of this interview, Shovel Knight was probably not yet an AT in the works.

However, there's a time gap between these interviews, nonetheless.

Now, onto the project of Smash Ultimate's proposal and development:

Sakurai made it clear the proposal was to bring "everyone back" as playable characters. That was the MAIN focus for the project. "Everyone is HERE!" Tagline and focus. While I am certain that WayForward was potentially talked to, no final decision might have been made for Shantae's (possible) inclusion at the time of Matt's interview. Matt also mentions in his interview a few key facts, and I quote:

"It was all Fan-driven! Once Nintendo announced the Smash Ballot, our inboxes became flooded with emails asking if we were going to be in the running, or if we knew anything special about the campaign. We didn’t of course. For all we knew this was Nintendo’s way of measuring fan interest in cameos, or maybe which brands crossed over in the minds of fans. Or, maybe they had some completely different motive, measuring the reach of certain brands by territory. Or maybe the whole thing was just for promoting Smash in general. We weren’t sure. But when we saw how much effort Shantae fans were putting into promoting Shantae’s inclusion in Smash, it seemed crazy to not back them up as much as possible!"

"Well, we do have daily contact with Nintendo for our day-to-day goings on, but we avoided this topic altogether. In years past, we’ve mentioned plenty of times that we’d like to see Shantae make an appearance as a Trophy or something… any kind of first party inclusion that would excite our fans. So we didn’t want to formally ask. They know we’re insufferable Nintendo fans over here, Just remember that until recently Shantae was unknown in Japan. But now she is known all over the globe! So, maybe something like this could still happen when the time is right!"

So, Shantae was at the peak of her popularity around this time! Let's also look at the time of Pirate's Curse (3DS) release in Japan:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
JP: November 19, 2015

Now, as we know, Shantae did well in Japan! Like, really well! At a time where Indies were viewed as the "Black Sheep" in the Japanese market! Her sales have likely only grown! Shantae's first physical release was also IN JAPAN! Meanwhile, Shovel Knight released back in June of 2016 and did okay selling at around 6'000 units overall! I know, sounds depressing when compared to Half-Genie Hero selling around 3,000 Units in Japan? But, hear me out:

Yacht Club Games also commented the game did not sell to their "wildest expectations and dreams" and we also know Shovel Knight has officially tanked in Japan's market. Yet, we always hear, Shantae is doing well in Japan? Enough to get her TWO Charagumin Figures, a bunch of merch, and even had her most recent game ported to Japan! TWICE (referencing to HGH: Ultimate Edition)!

It's also known that WayForward also does not always update on sales numbers and digital sales are hard to keep track of. But, given that Shantae's sales have likely only increased (potentially digitally) over in Japan, while Shovel Knight never took off the ground there? It's clear that she has only grown in popularity. You'll occasionally even see Japanese tweeters talking about Shantae if you're following Shantae's hashtags enough. The point is? Shantae has only grown as people talk about her more and more!

Yes, Shovel Knight likely had a strong (maybe still at the time stronger) following than Shantae. But, let's keep ONE THING in mind. Shantae's game got ported to Japan FIRST. Not Shovel Knight, the character people praised as the opus of Indies, but Shantae's game. BEFORE Sakurai had finalized the ideal concept for Smash Bros. Ultimate. Think about that...

Yeah, I know Nintendo did not PUBLISH the Japanese release like they did Shovel Knight. HOWEVER, they would still have to get approval from Nintendo to release it in Japan regardless since it would be on their console.

All these signs could point to nothing, but, I think it's clear that Shantae has seen growth over the years. Maybe more than we realize. Yeah, given the recent pie chart, Shantae has been shown to be # in NA/EU. WOW, right? We're talking about a character the entire internet said had NO CHANCE of making it into Smash Bros., and now, plenty of people are tipping that scale into an even 50/50! That's incredible!

No matter what comes of this whole matter? Whether she was added or not? We accomplished something greater; we encouraged more people to play, love, and appreciate Shantae the way most of us and many others out there did before and do now. That's the true victory here.

I STRONGLY support Shantae for Smash and my facts here lead me to believe there is a good chance! But, if she doesn't? I'm willing to accept the facts and move on! Campaign for her as DLC, if DLC is being considered! But, I think there's hope to be be had. :3

P.S.: Sorry for the long read.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well looks like there was nothing Shantae related in that direct. Well maybe next time.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ah so that was a indie's direct. that was a very sudden announce then release thing... I thought for sure if they did one they would have had a surprise announcement for Shantae. Oh well

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, I understand why there was no announcement. The whole point of the Nindies direct is to highlight the little guys, and making an announcement about a behemoth like Smash, even if it's indie related, would steal attention from people who really need it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I figured there wouldn't be any substantial news from the indie direct. Smash would completely overshadow it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, even with the silence being super suspicious, the most suspicious thing to me is still the fact that Shantae has not appeared in Rivals of Aether, Indie Pogo, or Blade Strangers. All of those games have SK, and all of them have fan bases that have been very vocal in wanting Shantae to be playable. Yet nothing happened. And as we all know, WF loves sharing there IP, so the idea that WF would say no to any of these games is baffling. And I do think they had been at least approached by one of these games, how could they not have been when she was such a requested character? It certainly feels out of character for WF, that's for sure.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know, even with the silence being super suspicious, the most suspicious thing to me is still the fact that Shantae has not appeared in Rivals of Aether, Indie Pogo, or Blade Strangers. All of those games have SK, and all of them have fan bases that have been very vocal in wanting Shantae to be playable. Yet nothing happened. And as we all know, WF loves sharing there IP, so the idea that WF would say no to any of these games is baffling. And I do think they had been at least approached by one of these games, how could they not have been when she was such a requested character? It certainly feels out of character for WF, that's for sure.
Keep in mind all the titles Shantae hasn't appeared in are fighting games. Shantae has guest appearances in Indivisible (an RPG), Runbow, Blaster Master Zero, and Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (a platformer).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Keep in mind all the titles Shantae hasn't appeared in are fighting games. Shantae has guest appearances in Indivisible (an RPG), Runbow, Blaster Master Zero, and Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (a platformer).
Exactly. And two of the games mentioned are Smash inspired, and all of them came out well past the first project plan, the oldest being Rivals of Aether, released in March of 2017. Heck, all of the games you mentioned featured SK alongside Shantae, and yet he is in all of these games without her. I know they don't belong to the same company or anything(Though YG origins do start in WF), but when one of those two get in a game, the other tends to either be announced alongside them or they are not far behind when it comes to getting in the game.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Keep in mind, not every Smash character got in there, either. Fire Emblem characters were never added, for example. They likely stopped caring so much about additional content for Mario Maker, too, because they were transitioning to the Nintendo Switch thanks to the Wii U's under performing sales.
Unless I'm somehow misunderstanding you, this is wrong. The entire base roster of Smash 4 + Mewtwo and Lucas got Mario Maker costumes. Yes, including the Fire Emblem characters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Exactly. And two of the games mentioned are Smash inspired, and all of them came out well past the first project plan, the oldest being Rivals of Aether, released in March of 2017. Heck, all of the games you mentioned featured SK alongside Shantae, and yet he is in all of these games without her. I know they don't belong to the same company or anything(Though YG origins do start in WF), but when one of those two get in a game, the other tends to either be announced alongside them or they are not far behind when it comes to getting in the game.
Good point. If Shantae is in smash then it would make sense not to put her in other fighting games as it could be viewed as unfair and letting other indie games get the spotlight there is a good idea.

Well, we need to wait and see. If shantae is in, i think we may get 4 or 5 other new guys, for a total of 10 new comers. A pokemon, banjo, geno, a retro/issac, and either Elma or a retro if issac

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I had a though, in the interview, Matt mentioned thinking of the ballot as possible way to gauge possible collaboration. While that may and likely not true, as we are seeing the ballot play a major part in this Smash, do you think Nintendo would possibly collaborate with the Shantae series in the future if they put her in Smash? I mean, SK got to battle Kratos and the Battletoads, it is possible that Nintendo could do something similar.

Staarih

Smash Master
And as we all know, WF loves sharing there IP, so the idea that WF would say no to any of these games is baffling.
Is this really the case? I’m not familiar with how WF does business, but I’ve always felt they’re fairly protective of Shantae and thus not necessarily wanting her in everything. Which I find to be okay, Shovel Knight appearing in almost every indie crossover is starting to burn on me.

But surely they may be some other reason, and hopefully they’re ”saving” her for Smash haha!

I had a though, in the interview, Matt mentioned thinking of the ballot as possible way to gauge possible collaboration. While that may and likely not true, as we are seeing the ballot play a major part in this Smash, do you think Nintendo would possibly collaborate with the Shantae series in the future if they put her in Smash? I mean, SK got to battle Kratos and the Battletoads, it is possible that Nintendo could do something similar.
If Shantae ever makes it in Smash, her recognizability will skyrocket and I’m sure her games will remain on Nintendo platforms, perhaps go even back to being exclusive. Smash does that to characters and the Nintendo x Shantae relationship would become stronger than ever,, so yeah, some collaboration could indeed happen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Is this really the case? I’m not familiar with how WF does business, but I’ve always felt they’re fairly protective of Shantae and thus not necessarily wanting her in everything. Which I find to be okay, Shovel Knight appearing in almost every indie crossover is starting to burn on me.
She appears in Indivisible, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, Runbow, Master Blaster Zero, Hyper Light Drifter(Risky instead of Shantae though), and most shockingly, in a Warioware DIY microgame called Shantae Nab!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well looks like there was nothing Shantae related in that direct. Well maybe next time.
I kind of figured there wouldn't be. Seemed too close to the last direct to drop some big news like that.
On the bright side, it's good to know that Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will get a physical release. Also, I didn't expect an actual Windjammers sequel!

In any case, wasn't expecting much anyway, maybe on the start of next month.

She appears in Indivisible, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, Runbow, Master Blaster Zero, Hyper Light Drifter(Risky instead of Shantae though, and most shockingly, in a Warioware DIY microgame called Shantae Nab!
Incidentally, Matt Bozon himself designed that Microgame. :colorful: Shame you can't download it anymore though...

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
After watching that one video about what is said about Jammies Mode dialogue and trailer for it plus the whole "Why isn't Shantae a fighter in these other Indie developed fighting games?" to the front lines of a possible NDA to prevent her from being made playable in ANY fighting game UNTIL Smash Ultimate's release window. Which would make sense as WayForward had no problems with Shantae making a cameo in these other none fighting games. Here is the video I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOboUFdfDc

It's just too much of a coincidence plus added to the fact that "Jammies Mode" was made as a way to thank the fans of Shantae. Thank us for what? I thought getting the Ultimate Edition was thanks enough since that game has most of the backer only stuff. What else would they need to thank us for?

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
Here is the video I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOboUFdfDc
>referring to the Gamnesia poll

Hey that's us-

Just dropping by to say I'm hoping against all the odds and dropping my support for the half-genie hero too! Loving all the arguments you guys compiled in her favour what with Jammies Mode and WF's uncharacteristic silence. Fingers crossed!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
What else would they need to thank us for?
This is exactly what I thought ! Dropping a new free DLC is exactly what I would do if my beloved character I created was made playable by the fans in a game as huge as Smash. I would even disseminate plenty of hints for them to understand what's going on. That's clearly what's happening with WayForward imo

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's just too much of a coincidence plus added to the fact that "Jammies Mode" was made as a way to thank the fans of Shantae. Thank us for what? I thought getting the Ultimate Edition was thanks enough since that game has most of the backer only stuff. What else would they need to thank us for?
You know, here's a good question. Where did they get the extra money? Not saying they could not have made out of there own pocket money, but HGH was a Kickstarter first of all, and Jamies Mode was an unfunded surprise. Either one of two things happened. They either are feeling generous enough(For no real particular reason) to give everyone a new surprise mode, or they had not so long ago come across an situation where they ended up getting a good amount of cash.

D

Deleted member

You know, here's a good question. Where did they get the extra money? Not saying they could not have made out of there own pocket money, but HGH was a Kickstarter first of all, and Jamies Mode was an unfunded surprise. Either one of two things happened. They either are feeling generous enough(For no real particular reason) to give everyone a new surprise mode, or they had not so long ago come across an situation where they ended up getting a good amount of cash.
I mean, did their recent games do particularly well? I could imagine Pirate's Curse having sold great across the world, but I never got any idea of how well HGH racked in the cash.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Do we have any reason to believe why she wouldn't be included in Smash this time?

I don't want to get my hopes up like I did for Ashley, but I haven't really seen any evidence that would deconfirm her yet.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Do we have any reason to believe why she wouldn't be included in Smash this time?

I don't want to get my hopes up like I did for Ashley, but I haven't really seen any evidence that would deconfirm her yet.
Nothing goes against her except past newcomer trends not being in favor of indie's or western developers, but Ultimate is a very different Smash game so we have no clue how much that really matters.
No idea how well The Mummy Demastered did, but it certainly must have done well compared to the flop it's tied to.
Yeah, it was a well liked game(Unlike many other developers, WF actually puts effort into there licensed games), but I have no clue how well it did. Does not help that it was tied to a bad movie, so that could have effected things.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Nothing goes against her except past newcomer trends not being in favor of indie's or western developers, but Ultimate is a very different Smash game so we have no clue how much that really matters..
Ultimate is a game that seems to be all about fanservice, as two of the most requested characters (Ridley and K Rool) have made it. Shantae would be the perfect indie rep if they choose to go in that direction.

Staarih

Smash Master
I kinda figured the ”thank you” was for successfully ending the Kickstarter - it may have began years ago but I recall them sending out any last physical rewards to backers just recently. And surely a company like WayForward with multiple (although smallish) IP’s have enough pocket money to whip up a freebie like Jammies Mode.

But after my pessimistic take, the whole ”ultimate” slumberparty does offer room for speculation, and Shantae not appearing in any fighting games... as well as WF keeping as quiet as ever.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I kinda figured the ”thank you” was for successfully ending the Kickstarter - it may have began years ago but I recall them sending out any last physical rewards to backers just recently. And surely a company like WayForward with multiple (although smallish) IP’s have enough pocket money to whip up a freebie like Jammies Mode.

But after my pessimistic take, the whole ”ultimate” slumberparty does offer room for speculation, and Shantae not appearing in any fighting games... as well as WF keeping as quiet as ever.
Fair enough. I do wonder though, are we missing any other hints or things that could indicate Shantae's inclusion?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Has anyone ever asked the Blade Strangers devs why Shantae wasn't included in that game?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever asked the Blade Strangers devs why Shantae wasn't included in that game?
Not that I have heard or seen. It's weird, considering it is leaning heavily on the Japanese side of the indie market, yet Shantae has made no appearance despite her popularity in Japan. Heck, SK got in despite being out classed by Shantae in Japan.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's actually a very good point. Various indies were included based on either the relationship to Nicalis (Quote, Curly, Isaac), Inti Creates/Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight, Gunvolt) or Studio Sanzengen (Umihara Kawase and Code of Princess casts), yet Shantae is the only significant one that's conspicuously missing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom