• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Agreed. Considering I have a few more characters I wish would make the cut (some way, somehow,) knowing Shantae made it in would help calm me down a bit until December.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Have we discussed possible Shantae codecs before? Probably, but I can't recall. Anyway, I feel like Shantae and Pit are two characters who would get along very well, so I kinda hope they would give her the Chrom treatment for her Palutena's Guidance codec. She has the portrait art for it, so I don't see why not.

Staarih

Smash Master
Here is the results of a reddit poll from a while ago. While she was not in the top 10 for most wanted, she actually got secound in underrated wanted original fighters, so that's an interesting insight.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/97x206/smash_bros_ultimate_survey_results_based_on_over/
Nice to see Shantae keep up some momentum even today. I dunno how that's listed but it says she got 96 votes, so with that she would tie with Sora on the other list. Must be some other criteria going around to put it like that.

Speaking of polls, I've been searching around just out of pure interest, stumbled across this one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
This seems to be information gathered from multiple polls around the world (see the tabs), probably dating during the ballot (as it has Bayonetta still in it). Looks to be updated recently to accommodate any (dis-)confirmations.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm excited to see her get in cause it would be the first ever official 3d model of her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Speaking of polls, I've been searching around just out of pure interest, stumbled across this one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
This seems to be information gathered from multiple polls around the world (see the tabs), probably dating during the ballot (as it has Bayonetta still in it). Looks to be updated recently to accommodate any (dis-)confirmations.
I saw that on the Geno thread and possibly the newcomer thread, though I can't recall if it's been on this thread before. It really bodes well for Shantae, as it shows SK was not that much more popular than her, or at least, not as much as some would expect.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Have we discussed possible Shantae codecs before? Probably, but I can't recall. Anyway, I feel like Shantae and Pit are two characters who would get along very well, so I kinda hope they would give her the Chrom treatment for her Palutena's Guidance codec. She has the portrait art for it, so I don't see why not.
I remember coming up with one back when Smash 3DS/Wii U was new, I think I posted it on a compilation video of Palutena's Guidances, I'll see if I can find it and update it. Yeah it would be interesting to have Shantae communicate with the Kid Icarus Uprising cast, especially with how similar the writing styles of Uprising and the Shantae series are to each other.

Though it would also kinda depend on if they decide to get Cristina Vee to record new dialogue or just reuse her clips from Pirate's Curse/Half-Genie Hero like they did with Sonic, which to be fair she has recorded more than enough material for the Smash team to use. Hopefully if they decide to get Cristina to record new material for Shantae, that they take that opportunity to have her banter with the Uprising crew.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Do you guys think this unofficial poll could have any sort of impact ? If so, let's ask some of our friends ( who don't care about smash bros ) to take a minute to vote for her as well ! It may not be very fair but let's see it as some more willpower/determination votes haha plus other characters' supporters would probably do it as well.
Making her win that poll would help shutting up some mouths ( although they'd still say she won because of the absence of SK ).

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
Man, I've been so caught up with other things, that I totally forgot about the potential codecs/guidance dialogues that could occur. As someone who fell in love with Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'd adore seeing the Kid Icarus cast chatting with Shantae. It's simply too awesome of an idea to pass up on. I could see stuff like Pit perhaps crushing on Shantae a bit (as he's done before with another character in his home series,) or even perhaps someone asking Shantae why she says "ret-2-go" or something along those lines.

Maybe if inspiration strikes me, I'll try and write some potential conversations here in this thread; so long as no one's bothered by that of course. Gives me something to do and it'd be plenty of fun. In the meantime, I pray people like this guy get around to doing their own take on a Shantae based codec or Palutena's Guidance.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, I've been so caught up with other things, that I totally forgot about the potential codecs/guidance dialogues that could occur. As someone who fell in love with Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'd adore seeing the Kid Icarus cast chatting with Shantae. It's simply too awesome of an idea to pass up on. I could see stuff like Pit perhaps crushing on Shantae a bit (as he's done before with another character in his home series,) or even perhaps someone asking Shantae why she says "ret-2-go" or something along those lines.

Maybe if inspiration strikes me, I'll try and write some potential conversations here in this thread; so long as no one's bothered by that of course. Gives me something to do and it'd be plenty of fun. In the meantime, I pray people like this guy get around to doing their own take on a Shantae based codec or Palutena's Guidance.
I don't think Pit would crush out right, but I definitely bet that there interaction would be adorable, especially when it comes to chemistry. Pit and Shantae both have their quirks, they are often dorky, often not the smartest, but both have heart. It would be cool to see. I wonder how Snake would react to the prospect of fighting a transforming half genie belly dancer?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How would anyone feel if Nega Shantae got in as a echo?
At that point, wondering why they didn't give us Dark Link, Dark Young Link and Dark Toon Link, given the observed pattern.

I hope to see the Half Genie Hero in Smash in some manner.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nega Shantae's colors were included as an alt for when Wayforward campaigned for her during the Smash Ballot.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, I have a question for you all, and I do think this is worth noting despite it being kinda minor, but should Shantae's vest make a return?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I do think it should return for the simple reason that Shantae's design from Pirate's Curse was my favorite overall.
The vest added some style and was perfect for her exotic style imo and at least she was not hanging around in her bras haha it should return along with the blue gem on her tiara thing.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
It's a possibility. I can see Shantae also getting a slight redesign for a sports bra like ZSS' alts instead of her tube top with the vest for more coverage.
Yeah but seeing Krystal in her Star Fox Adventures look for the AT. I can see them keeping it just the way it is. Because back when we were discussion about her looks. We never thought they would used Adventures look for anything because it seemed too skimpy. But here Krystal is, wearing her Adventures look.

Last edited:

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
I don't think Pit would crush out right, but I definitely bet that there interaction would be adorable, especially when it comes to chemistry.
I definitely agree. If memory serves, Pit is usually more shy and reserved about these sorts of things anyway. My apologies if I made it seem like Pit would be too blunt with his feelings.

Okay, I have a question for you all, and I do think this is worth noting despite it being kinda minor, but should Shantae's vest make a return?
As for the vest, well, I see little reason why it has to make an appearance, outside of Pirate's Curse being a heavily adored game. Personally, I always liked Shantae's design in Risky's Revenge, so I'd love to see that get used for Shantae instead of Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero (even though, again, I understand wholeheartedly why those designs would be used, and would be willing to go along with them so long as Shantae was in Smash at all.)

MattX20

Smash Hero
My guess is they either keep the design as is or they fuse elements together of some of the previous Shantae designs into a new one specifically for Smash kinda like how Ridley had fused the classic design and the Other M head.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
As for the vest, well, I see little reason why it has to make an appearance, outside of Pirate's Curse being a heavily adored game. Personally, I always liked Shantae's design in Risky's Revenge, so I'd love to see that get used for Shantae instead of Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero (even though, again, I understand wholeheartedly why those designs would be used, and would be willing to go along with them so long as Shantae was in Smash at all.)
They could do something similar to Ike and Link where she could have half be Risky's Revenge and the other half be Pirates Curse

Wyvern 0m3g4

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wyvern_Omega
3DS FC
3952-7962-4278
Switch FC
SW-4111-0849-8220
I hope they use the ninja costume

Now that you mention it, I'd enjoy seeing that too. Keeps things fun, fresh and diverse; just the way I like it.

They could do something similar to Ike and Link where she could have half be Risky's Revenge and the other half be Pirates Curse
I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean by half. Is it like how Ike and Link have two different designs to choose from now? (As in, BotW tunic and classic tunic for Link, for example.) If so, I'd be down for that. It'd be an awesome compromise. :)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Concerning the vest, it would depend on if they plan on if they decide to add her pirate costume from Pirate’s Curse. If they go with the Pirate’s Curse design which has the vest on default, when all that’d be added would be the bandana and belt on her leg.

Kinda another reason why I personally hope they go with her HGH portrait art design for her look in Smash; the pirate outfit would feel more like an actual costume with the vest added to the other stuff I listed.

It would be a nice compromise, though I dunno if that’ll work. Even going for the portrait artstyle on the HGH side, the two designs might be too proportionally different to work like that

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I'd rather Risky be the echo IMO so that Shantae can have her gear from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
That's actually why I brought up the Crusade Fan Game a couple post back. In that, Shantae had the Pirate Gear and items, along with a transformation mechanic, while for Nega Shantae, they removed that mechanic and replaced the item based moves with moves from normal Shantae's animal Tranformations.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Count me in as a supporter! I has been one since the Smash For DLC period, but I haven't posted here yet for some reason. Maybe I just lost hope for her, but after seeing that Shovel Knight AT...I don't know I feel we might have an actual chance.

Besides, it's just an impression of mine or is James Montagna (a Wayfoward member, who also speaks fluently japanese) retweeting his photos with Sakurai recently?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Count me in as a supporter! I has been one since the Smash For DLC period, but I haven't posted here yet for some reason. Maybe I just lost hope for her, but after seeing that Shovel Knight AT...I don't know I feel we might have an actual chance.

Besides, it's just an impression of mine or is James Montagna (a Wayfoward member, who also speaks fluently japanese) retweeting his photos with Sakurai recently?
( Needless to say that I want to be counted as a supporter as well )

He literally just did retweet that ! Why in the world would he do that ?
If Shantae's in and WayForward signed a NDA, althouth it'd still be a pretty sublte hint, that's not really wise.
And if Shantae is not in at all, that's not cool either for us poor deluded fans xD

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
( Needless to say that I want to be counted as a supporter as well )

He literally just did retweeted that ! Why in the world would he do that ?
If Shantae's in and WayForward signed a NDA, althouth it's still be a pretty sublte hint, that's not really wise.
And if Shantae is not in at all, that's not cool either for us poor deluded fans xD
Yeah... I don't think it means anything. And if it does. Well, they might have accidentally put foot in mouth for this hint.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "subtle hints" people. Especially since Sakurai said that he HATES leaks because they spoil the surprise. Why would put out secret hints if he hates ruining surprises?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
There is a difference between leaks and hints, and I do believe the SSB teams like the latter. Recently, Sakurai himself tweeted something similar to " don't pay attention to my red eyes tomorrow during the direct " one day prior to K.Rool's reveal. His eyes were not even red unlike K.rool's. And that's just one exemple.

Here's the said tweet : https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/871272803118469120

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Seems like he just met with Sakurai. Who wouldn't given the chance?. No obvious hints. But true if they know each other somewhat well, maybe that can mean something.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Has this been discussed already, this seems pretty interesting?View attachment 158526
What's the context?

Also, I've been going over more stuff with Shantae, and I do find it really interesting the difference between how WF was before, promoting Shantae for smash, and now not even saying how they'd like her in it, or anything. I do think that it could mean she's in it, even if just as an AT (though obviously I'm wishing for playable).

Her chances have gone up a bit again in my eyes anyway. Not just because of that, but everything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's the context?

Also, I've been going over more stuff with Shantae, and I do find it really interesting the difference between how WF was before, promoting Shantae for smash, and now not even saying how they'd like her in it, or anything. I do think that it could mean she's in it, even if just as an AT (though obviously I'm wishing for playable).

Her chances have gone up a bit again in my eyes anyway. Not just because of that, but everything.
I believe that the scene in question is from the new Jammies mode. Seems like a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more, say no more!" type of nod.

Playing coy (either that or reverse psychology) is definitely certain if they're under an NDA

Edit: Also, is it just me or has the Ultimate general thread completely stopped working?

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
What's the context?

This is all stuff from Jammies mode, both the reveal trailer and the ending of the mode.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Even the trailer itself shows hints : the way they show word by word " Jammies mode is here, " similar to " everyone is here " from the direct.
Announcing that " A new transformation has appeared " similar to the way Smash games would announce a new foe.
Lastely, it says that they specifically made this free DLC because they want to thank the fans... Thank the fans for what ?
Perhaps for making Shantae possible in smash through our determination and votes ?
And then we know about the conversation with Mimic, the words "Ultimate" and "Everyone" ( which are the trademark words of this iteration of smash )being used a lot as well as the word "invitation" because Shantae aims at handing invitations through the mode, which didn't fail to remind me of smash too.
I may overanalyze and be blinded by my desire to see her in though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhNzTfP0Og

I could clearly see the begenning of Shantae's trailer with Mimic making his way to wherever Shantae spent that ultimate slumber party ( Risky's ship it seems ) early in the next day's morning to hand her that prized invitation for smash with all her proud friends around. Risky would snatch the invitation and kick everyone out of the boat with the help of Pirate K.Rool and tinkerbats before leaving the harbor. She'd have a victorious laugh before finding out that Shantae somehow managed to make it on top of the mast as a monkey. She'd turn back human again and throw K.Rool in the sea with a salty hair-whip before going face to face with Risky... who would be playable as well in a perfect world hahaha

Last edited:
Top Bottom